How does Mentor / Disciple progress work

andy86

Provider
Society
Kaos
Andreas Andy Gamble
Hi

I have been considering to try to get a mentor but I'm not completely sure how it works.

Once I have chosen a mentor and he/she has chosen me as a disciple we need to complete three achievements together: Hunting, mining and construction. To receive the hunting achievement I suppose you need to be in a team with your mentor but what about the mining and construction achievement?

Once the achievements are completed the disciple need to gather a number of skillgains in order to graduate. Do you need to be teamed up with your mentor to gain in the "disciple progress" or will you be progressing even though you are for example hunting on your own?
I usually play at random times and might find it difficult to be logged on at specific times on which my mentor is logged.

I hope there is someone out there who knows these answers.

Thanks in advance
Andy

You only need to be in a team for the hunting achivement. All the others you can do on your own :)

As for the "disciple progress", it doesnt require you to play with your mentor. Just play normal and your "disciple progress" will increase

Thank you very much for the information Wed :D

Being selective is good, but I wouldn't worry too much about picking a mentor that is a good fit for you (like don't be indecisive for a month about it). Some mentors might not be a good fit for your play style, or any number of other reasons. You can kick your mentor at any time, but you will lose your current mentoring progress and start from 0% mentoring progress when you select a new one.

These days it is simple.

As above. Don't think about it. Just pick someone. Play and when you do the hunting bit all you need to do is to kill 1 mob, any mob. You don't even have to be on the same planet as your mentor.

Now, I wish mentoring meant interaction and help, but it does not. Play and get your gear, then move on.

On a side note, my mentor was / is nice person, but that is a side-effect. Just get that pixie!

If you're from the US and still need some help and/or a mentor, I'm from Chicago and am willing to help ya out. My disciples play at random times, but I tend to be online as much as I can during the evening after work. However, you can basically reach me any time via e-mail or pcf. Been around since 2005 and so far my current disciples are growing at a great pace, and are liking the game so far.

Let me know if you're interested and best of luck in this new adventure/game :D

-Hyp

These days it is simple.
Now, I wish mentoring meant interaction and help, but it does not. Play and get your gear, then move on.

On a side note, my mentor was / is nice person, but that is a side-effect. Just get that pixie!

Why should a shitty mentor be rewarded for simply farming disciples? You'd be better off with someone who can actually help and interact with you. If I was a disciple, just because I hit 'accept' on mentoring doesn't mean I am obligated to keep the mentor if they don't fulfill the obligations that a mentor should provide. I don't mean free PED or items, but if you can't take some time to answer a newbie's questions or rescue them from an outpost, then mentoring probably isn't for you.

Newbie question: I need to craft an item, should I try to craft a level 13 amp on condition? It looks like those get big swirlies! :dunce:

As for the adj pixie - I would prefer the knowledge of an experienced player over a suit of cheap armor any day.

Edit: To clarify my previous post, I meant that selecting a good mentor is wise, but I know some people that will stress so long about picking a good mentor, that they could have graduated by the time they get around to picking a mentor. Choosing a mentor shouldn't take that long.

Last edited:
Why should a shitty mentor be rewarded for simply farming disciples? You'd be better off with someone who can actually help and interact with you. If I was a disciple, just because I hit 'accept' on mentoring doesn't mean I am obligated to keep the mentor if they don't fulfill the obligations that a mentor should provide. I don't mean free PED or items, but if you can't take some time to answer a newbie's questions or rescue them from an outpost, then mentoring probably isn't for you.

Newbie question: I need to craft an item, should I try to craft a level 13 amp on condition? It looks like those get big swirlies! :dunce:

As for the adj pixie - I would prefer the knowledge of an experienced player over a suit of cheap armor any day.

/agree

It makes a lot of difference for the average player to have the help from a good mentor.

Self motivated hard charging hard core end game types will probably be successful no matter what if they are motivated to be successful in this RCE environment, but they are probably the exception than the rule.

I think about all the crap I read in other game sites talking shit about this game, most of its just wrong info, like they never played to any extent at all, or ever bothered to really understand it, I can't help but think if they had a great mentor how much difference it might have made for the lot of them.

Please take a little time to find a good mentor, do some reading here on the forum and you will find a lot of good candidates (not me :laugh: ).

It might be helpful for someone to add what's the fast track profession to focus on through the process for those that just want to "get 'er done."

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Actually been wanting to reply to a few of these threads like this for a while... but I've been trying to be conscientious of my attitude lest I come off as unintentionally too negative. Brazen I am fine with. Abject negativity I am not. The wrong message would be conveyed in that instance...

It might be helpful for someone to add what's the fast track profession to focus on through the process for those that just want to "get 'er done."

The fast track is definitely hunting. Even on a small budget you can continue to skill regularly throughout the month. Mining and crafting are ridiculously expensive.

In specific I would start with Laser Pistol, and grind the shit out of the Puny mission expecting no PED payback but plenty of skill gains. Then I would move on to Combibo, Cornundacada, and Argonaut in that order. I would not do the Daikiba mission until later on, as the higher level 'Kibas tend to drop ESI for payback. The lower level ones are more oils.

At level 20 I would begin to branch out, maybe taking on 2 missions at a time. Or perhaps trying out mining alongside hunting. I would not attempt crafting until I hit level 40 in a hunt profession.

Why?

Because most items ingame are more expensive to create than to simply buy off an experienced crafter. You need to know what your actual expenditures will be, and something about the actual ingame economy before you start cranking out goods and get upset that nobody is buying them.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how much progress should an active newbie expect to gain with a "good" mentor? Over the course of a week, what would be considered an average percentage gain?

Just out of curiosity, how much progress should an active newbie expect to gain with a "good" mentor? Over the course of a week, what would be considered an average percentage gain?

That does not depend on the mentor but more on the newbie imho, the mentor only can give advice - it's up to the new player to follow it. And then it depends on how much activity and effort is put into graduating .

I have had some disciples for years, some passed in months, even had 1 pass in a matter of days.
It all depends on how quickly you skill up in your chosen field. Peds cycled will = raising a lot quicker.
There are certain skills you can gain that are more helpful towards your discipleship progress. I think anatomy is one of them.

As an example my 2 most recent disciples are both about 2 weeks old. One is at 8% and another is at 14%
If you are active everyday it should be a lot quicker than that. Obviously depending on what you do.

Good luck and keep shooting.. or mining, or crafting or healing or repairing :D

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and good advice.

Crusty, I got a mentor a couple of days or so after I created this thread and I passed 40% in the disciple progress the other day. I am not online 24/7 so I suppose it can be done a lot faster :D

Back