Mining for a newbie - A few questions.

FlashPro

Old
Hey all,

I have recently thought of starting to mine. I got 250 ped to spend on probes and i have saved some ped to buy the equiptment. Questions:
What finder and Excavator would you advise to use?
Which is better for mining for newbs - Calypso or Arkadia?
Are there any places where i can do a combination of mining and fruit walking together?
Should i do Ore or Enmatter mining? Or both?
Could someone plz give me any extra tips on mining that might help?

Thx in advance
FlashPro

Hey all,

I have recently thought of starting to mine. I got 250 ped to spend on probes and i have saved some ped to buy the equiptment. Questions:
Are there any places where i can do a combination of mining and fruit walking together?

Thx in advance
FlashPro

Finder doesn't really matter that much when you are new, the tt one should suffice to start with.

I would advice calypso, you get less different ores then on arkadia which allows you to get bigger stacks to sell.

Fruit can be found everywhere and you can mine everywhere so yes it can be combined.

You can do both ores and enmatters but personally i would focus on ores (higher average markup for newcomer, and will allow you to get bigger stacks to sell on auction).

Main thing about mining: find resources with high markup, find big enough stacks to sell on auction for nice markup, never sell stuff to the trade terminal.

Hello FlashPro,

I am only a sparetime miner myself, yet I might be able to answer some of your question. (In green in the quote).

Hey all,

That's a more then decent amout of PEDs to start with!

Of this I am not sure, but I guess any low-level finder with good economy will do the trick. Excavator isn't important at your level yet, especially if you are only trying it out. Better excavators mean they are faster but at a higher decay.
You may also look to buy a refiner. Good to reduce the weight on a run and refined resources sell for a little more markup. Also handy when hunting and heavy from hides/ skins/ wool.

Any planet will do.

Since you can find fruit/ stones/ dung anywhere every location that is good for mining is good for both. I regret to tell you that I don't know the good mining spots though.

As a start EnMatter is adviced. That is 0,50 PEDs per drop and Ore is 1,00 PED per drop. Just to remind you: every finder is as good at finding ore as at enmatter.

There are many theories floating about mining. Perception, vines, clusters, etcetera. I don't know what is true and what is not.
I can tell you this: don't overdrop, your finder will search in a radius (let's say 55m). If you travel only 90m away you will search 20m of what the first drop already did and you will very likely don't find anything new there. Walk at least 110m and you'll be fine. Walking in a straight line will help you with this (ie. straight north, south, west or east). Otherwise you might have to look into Pythagoras again to see if you've travelled 110m.
Other thing about mining: your finder can find max one claim each drop. If there are two or more in the searchradius the one closed to the drop will be picked. That means you can find an II claim 15m from you and not see the XII claim 40m away. Some people always dubble probe on a hit, others never and I only when I feel comfortable about it.

Thx in advance
FlashPro

Good luck and have fun!
Ard :wtg:

Consider buying rookie finder. every drop is like 10 times cheaper than with regular TT finder.
Arkadia is good for mininig, may be even better than Calypso, but you will get bored soon and will be hard to find buyer for your loot.
As for a spot I always got good return at treasure island. It is taxed land, but my return were better than on most untaxed places. Even got SOOTO there (and 3 on Arkadia for a month). But I haven't mined there for a month and this game is dynamic(R) so you may need to find your spot for yourself.

Since Harmony, Ardorj, fred and AxeMurderer already gave you some useful mining tips here, I have nothing much to say, except "Good luck and hof big" :)

My 2 Cents:

small finder (TT one, F101, F102)

only ores, not enmats in the beginning (i would do enmatters only if u know where to get some with good MU)

Planet: Caly (at ark or RT u can have very bad streaks if u are the only miner around)

Extra tips: use the tool from mininglog.com, and if u found an area with good MU ores, mine it every day.

TT finder and TT excavator is all you ever need.

I would say start with ORE but that costs double to energy.

You could start with rookie finder but the gains will be just as small.

So whatever you decide, just have fun and good luck to your mining career.

IMO, I say get the F-101 finder, it has more depth (263.7 v 204.0) than the TT one. You should be able to pick one up off the AH for ~tt+1 so it's worth it imo.
Use the TT finder first to get skills. Once you have maxed its depth, move up to the F-101. The depths quoted by Fred are the maximum depths, and are irrelevant until you have the skills. Max each Finder, then move up to the next.

Consider buying rookie finder. every drop is like 10 times cheaper than with regular TT
And so is the skill gain. The rookie finder is for learning the mechanics of mining. Once you know that, get the TT finder to start gaining skills at the normal rate.
---
You will need more capital to mine both Enmatter and Ore, and more mental concentration. I mine Ore alone, though I did mine enough Enmatter to get a few Health Points.
---
Fruit has no value until MA reintroduce Taming, so only expect to sell it to optimists.

Last edited:
if you didn't mine yet, use the rookie finder to learn how it goes...you don't have to spend the whole peds with rookie, perhaps 50 drops to learn the basics...(it's way cheaper per drop)

after this, use the other tt finder and tt extractor...

as others said, i would stay on caly, because on cyrene you get too much different ores and it is easier to sell on caly...

the main aim in mining is to get good stacks of ores to sell at auction with good mu...

so i would advise to only mine one area with your 250 ped to get the same ores...

the thing with ores is, they have higher markup, but you can do more drops doing enmatter..so this one is really up to you...

With skill 0 you have more depth on F-101, 198.3 v 104.5
That is right, but if you use a Finder which is not maxed, it will reduce your return (just about impossible to prove, but otherwise there would be no point maxing one, and no purpose for skill Enhancers, which are designed to offset the penalty).
And TT tools have SIB, which gives you 10% more skills until maxed.

Last edited:
Couple more bits of advice.

1) Stay away from amps. Until you know what drops where and you have a larger bankroll, they will just suck ped. Even then you might not want to use them. If you havent done 10s of thousands of drops you probably dont know enough to use them(even then you still might not know how to use them correctly).

2) Stick to the TT extractor. Its one of the most economical extractors, and will give you the most skills. The limited ones are faster, but they are just going to waste ped.

3) Id pick ore or enmatter and not do both. Until you have learned how the system works, and know what drops where. Especially on a small bankroll, you don't want a lot of small stacks of different items. Makes it harder to sell, and the auction fees will eat more of the markup. As for what to pick, there are good and bad things about either. Enmatter you will have twice as many drops, so youll learn more at first. But enmatter markups aren't all that high these days, so the ore might be better. Im a fan of more actions per trip, so id probably pick enmatter. But you can always switch between the two, i just wouldn't do them at the same time with a small bankroll.

I wish we had the rookie finder back when i first signed up for entropia, sure makes it much cheaper to try out mining.

Back