You Killed The Forum

The community is like a group of old-timers in rocking-chairs on a warm autumn porch.

Now and then one of them says "Hey, do you remember...". "Yeah", answers one of the others without opening his eyes. No need to specify or continue. They do remember and have talked everything over one too many times.

The only thing that may enliven them for a short while is when a naked guy runs down the street screaming that he accidentally gave his clothes to a stranger, but that happens too often to retain their attention for too long.

The chairs are squeaking gently and the folks are smiling to their thoughts while the sun slowly sets.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Should be nominated for the Post of the Year

I made a topic about d3 not too long ago, I tought it was allowed.

It had 8 replies in 1 hour and then it got locked....

3 words...... "Nazi Moderating Tactics".

I mean... it was bad before.... but it's getting to the point where only sales and HoF threads are allowed to go past page 3 or 4....

Menace

Is exactly what im talking about it's a load of dung.

It ever occur to anyone that the user base may have contributed to the forums decline? Or perhaps forums are just not as popular now as they once were? Or maybe a combination of the three (moderation, user base full of angst, and decline in popularity of this type of communication for specialty sites?)

I've encountered alot of users ingame who say they dont go to forums because the people there are asshats, or because they found signing up for another piece of software cumbersome and unnecessary given the prevalence of Facebook and other alternatives. Instead of pushing the issue I moved to another topic.

Just saying. I'm sure someone will take a pot shot at me personally for this post. Ironically, it will go to underscore my point. :)

I've encountered alot of users ingame who say they dont go to forums because the people there are asshats, or because they found signing up for another piece of software cumbersome and unnecessary given the prevalence of Facebook and other alternatives.

No potshot here :)
I was away for 4 months from this particular forum and couldn't wait to get back even tho I was getting everything on a facebook feed. It's not the same to me.
Strangely enough I enjoy this forum.

Lol @miners

I was just thinking that... had the image of these two guys with pick axes and helmets, all coverd in black coal dust.... then thought I had totally missed the joke :laugh::ahh:

:duh: Please, please tell me you caught my dual Calypso joke. I know I'm not too funny, but damn you know a joke sucks when you gotta s'plain it.

May be people don't care as much about EU as they once did. The forum in the past could get out of hand but mainly because people's cared about EU probably a little too much, like a stalker professing their love for a celebrity.

Lets face it other than another event starting :rolleyes: there is very little happening in game and MA hasn't gone out it's way to annoy the players with a new feature / nerf recently so new forum topics dry up quickly.

And if there were an issue it's almost at the stage where people expect it rather be surprised so it might get a few posts but little else.

Compared to the old days and the start of EF , there isn't much to debatte on these forums anymore. Back there FB or Twitter was unknown and the forum was used as social network. It was nice times indeed

Today we have Libarys like entropedia , well made guides, working forumlas and tools to put them to use and most questions you can ask about entropia are asked and awnsered.

Entropia is as stagnant as ever , is miss the buzz about out of ordinary events and marcos storytales about entropias bright future. This, the Summer hole and some other factors cause the reduced activity.

Compared to the old days and the start of EF , there isn't much to debatte on these forums anymore. Back there FB or Twitter was unknown and the forum was used as social network. It was nice times indeed

This is a good point about FB and the like. The entropia side of FB is more active than ever. Tonnes of pics and videos get posted there everyday, avatars all linked up around the universe :)

I think the thing is with FB that you can post a daft pic, and it not been a whole entire thread about it.

Last edited:
I think there is just too much to do in EU now with all the new content. No one has time to spend much time on forums.:)

3 words...... "Nazi Moderating Tactics".

Ever since 711 decided he'd take care of the forum for MindArk it's been a slow rolling shit storm. I mean... it was bad before.... but it's getting to the point where only sales and HoF threads are allowed to go past page 3 or 4....

All must remain well in "Happy Land". Now adays people don't even bother because a topic turns into a debate and before you know it people are getting banned and the thread's getting closed. No point in even attempting to have an adult discussion because moderators may find a negative word in it and are forced at gun point (An old Luger I might add) to swing the ban hammer.

Menace

Though I do agree, somewhat, with Menace's post (particularly the part about having to remain in "Happy Land")... I have to say that there has been a slight decrease in the moderation of my posts. Whether that's because 711 and Mods are realizing I'm right, they're becoming accustomed to the tone of my posts, or they're simply mod'ing less than before... I don't know.
But it's pretty sweet being able to call a spade a spade without being muted, in recent weeks.

Been having some fun bashing trolls (well, Magyar)... mods used to give me hell in the old Legion wars and Brooklyn's forum bombings... but I just can't stand a forum where fanboys can talk bs all day and naysayers are muted. That's not a forum, that's a fanpage!

I have to say that there has been a slight decrease in the moderation of my posts.

Simple reason: You've been better at stating your opinions without stooping to name calling, taking threads off-topic with silly arguments, etc. (Not good, but getting better. I just had to mod you in the other thread.)

A "new posts" button that excludes sell and buy posts and a separate buttton for new sell/buy post would be a nice option :p

Excellent suggestion. :thumbup:
"New Posts" used to be one of the pages on the web I would look through on my morning coffee, not anymore, I just don't bother now it's all selling/buying threads.

You killed the forum!

This forum is dead! not been on for a week and all I see is sales threads or I won something...

It's Pointless I need more... realistic game playing threads like the old days!! :eyecrazy:

This forum is dead! not been on for a week and all I see is sales threads or I won something...

It's Pointless I need more... realistic game playing threads like the old days!! :eyecrazy:

Then why dont YOU create some? :dunce::wise:

Moderation is not censorship - any mod that does not understand that is just fighting himself and the forum he has been given trust to moderate.

I think that is a bit rough Menace,

711 did a good job in the past, yes moderation is very tight now, but I would have assumed that would occur in the fear of it ever getting like it was before. 2008-2010 were very bad times.

The forums are a lot more pleasant these days in comparison.

711 seems very resonable and just from all I have seen, I think we are close to finding the root of the problem :computer:

Last edited:
I do not know who censors in here but I remember when I was on MA in the thread "to sell a avatar".

I remember many links that I referred in the forum to show that MA was not truthful
just disappeared the next day. For example, the EULA was rewritten about immediately to appear a few days later in a new form.

What can you call this way of acting.

See John's quote below.. He also feels the lack of dynamic info.

I appreciate he responded this way instead of being all legalistic. Nice.

But yes, I feel too many eyes are on the ubers and hofs, on the bad shit, on the big items.

A forum should be about the day-to-day experiences of a player, their hits and wins, their run-ins with odd people, strange quirks of fate and the like. Also their feelings about change and what might be done to move things forward.

How to explain this decay?

We forgot to treat EU as an experience out of normal life. It is becoming an extension of real life struggles, to find enough money, to get results to keep us going, to be able to continue.

When a fictional world ( which it should be ) becomes too close to reality, it loses its shine and becomes less relevant to the player.

Hence the forum is no longer about our fictional world but another place to moan about RL, which can be done anywhere.

I may be wrong.

I hope I am.

We forgot to treat EU as an experience out of normal life. It is becoming an extension of real life struggles, to find enough money, to get results to keep us going, to be able to continue.

When a fictional world ( which it should be ) becomes too close to reality, it loses its shine and becomes less relevant to the player.

Best piece of wisdom from Pezzle that I have seen in a long time... Dovetails nicely with a shift in attitude that my society, Obsidian, is going through ATM. :yup:

I for one am unable to post even those. According to mods, I'm a spammer because my post count is too low. (huh?)

So, in order to post, I need post count, and to get post count, I need to post. Grrreat. (For some reason, people known as "resellers" are free from this catch.)

Compared to EF of ~2009, this has sank to the Mariana Trench. How do I delete my account, please?

So true, so straightforward and clear... is it really you Peezle!!!?
Please, keep it up and u get all my +rep! ;)

Made a rule to keep my RL and gaming strictly separate (years ago, after seeing... stuff, in another game). Never had to regret it, now it's like living 2 lifes instead of just one.

So true, so straightforward and clear... is it really you Peezle!!!?
Please, keep it up and u get all my +rep! ;)

Yes, when I talk about abstract things I am clear in my thinking:)

Since they don't cost me a bean.

Well, this is not strictly true ofc, since a forum is part of our income.

I tend to feel sorry for 711 at times like this. I am not against him making money, but against the way he imagines a forum should somehow be pure of profit. I disagree.

What it should do is be full of power.

Well atleast now there is something more than sales threads going on. Very big improvement I must say :wtg:

Back