"Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush" in EvE Online, Entropia mentioned at the bottom of article

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...p-worth-9-000-destroyed-ambush-190533986.html

Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen.

Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.

One player of the long-running online game EVE Online experienced that horror Sunday, when an ambush destroyed his supercarrier valued at a whopping $9,000.

The massive world of EVE Online is all about buying, piloting and blowing up spaceships. It’s not for the faint at heart, in part because its in-game currency, called ISK (Interstellar Kredits), carries a real-world value. The Revenant -- one of only three ships that big in existence -- carries a value of 309 billion ISK, making it among the priciest bits of code in the game.

That also made it quite the target.

The ambush played out with plenty of intrigue. Players in the Pandemic Legion received an SOS and assumed it was a player in distress. It turns out the player they had put in charge of leading their fleet was actually a spy for an opposing group, who led them directly into a bunch of dreadnaughts and supercarriers. The owner of the Revenant, a player named TSID, could do little to stop the virtual bloodbath, and the rest is EVE Online history.

The economy in EVE Online is a living thing. CCP, the game's developer, actually has an economist in-house who monitors the virtual world, working to curb inflation or introducing new types of technology to absorb currency. It’s like a virtual Federal Reserve, selling bonds to shrink the money supply.

Technically, players cannot exchange ISK for real-world cash, but CCP does let them use that in-game currency to buy real-world objects (such as graphics cards) and 30-day game time codes.

This isn't the first time the game has seen major losses. Eight months ago, a ship carrying valuable blueprints worth $6,000 in real-world money was destroyed by other players. And while losing a $9,000 spaceship is a serious bummer, the Revenant is still a far cry from the most expensive video game object, an honor held by a $350,000 space station in fellow online world Project Entropia.

Just saw this and was gonna link it. I guess him losing it all at once makes it newsworthy...it takes me at least 90 days to lose that much here.

At least when my $8000 Starfinder gets blown up I can repair it :)
It would be nice if MindArk employed an economic advisor to help prevent inflation and balance the economy in game. The volatile movements in price sometimes makes the mind boggle in this game. I think better planning by a MindArk employed economist would help them implement new items better in the game. New items either destroy the value of older items or ramp up the value of older items. Some you win some you lose.

Last edited:
Boom baby!! :yay:

You must know, that all resources need for this ship (Titan) construction are free (or available for ingame money), for only $14 monthly subscribtion fee...
This is only lost time of couple players, nothing more.
Because EVE not have any official way to withdraw money.
So Titan is a 30 billion ISK atm i have in my wallet in EVE ~10 billion, and some stuff what i use have a price 2-5 billion, but its nothing especial.
EVE have giant quantity of bots, working 23/7/365, each bot can give to its owner ~200 million ISK per day if it works 8-10 hour per day.
So if you can launch 3 bots, your income will be about 0.5 or more billion per day.
And you can buy a Titan in 1 month :) ... without playing and paying :)

just so everyone knows when space first opened in this game someone got looted for 25k-30k ped

i forget the name etc.... but it happened......
and i am sure there are a lot of others that got looted for a ton of ped too that i don't know about

damn thats a lot of text.

God_Wars_II_screenshot_of_dungeon_with_MUSHclient_plugin.png

For me its bigger news looting 2000 PED in Entropia space, than loosing that 30 billion ISK ship.

i couldn't watch that youtube video for longer then 30seconds]

I find the urge to download that one again ... never gave it a chance actually.
Funny how such news can attract people :p

I agree with Gewitter - ofc there has been exceptions in the past about "ubers" who just bought their way to uberness with lots of RL money (like that guy who bought illegal isk, got banned, than bought the same amount with PLEX and crashed the market heavily to buy titans), but the real ubers can make a lot of money and probably hasn't spent a single dollar in years. Dunno which one is this guy though.

Too many players are carebears (grinders) anomalies in 0.0 security space (using capital ships), and exactly same as bots have 25 million ISK per hour. I think this player is no exception.
Noone will buy PLEX's and then destroy it in the one battle :cool:

Im not sure EVE offers the strategic and movement freedoms i have in EU space. Also i can pretty much plan what amounts i loot in EU, not sure i can plan to that degree in Eve. Btw 4 digit loots in space still happen allot (specially weekends) and last 30K + loot in EU was taken just over a month ago...

Last edited:
Interesting OP but it isn't even the in the same ball park as EU, hell it ain't if the same planet, hell it ain't even the same universe (excuse the crap pun)

I played this lame excuse for a game and have to say the Eve online does not cut the mustard at all, too much point and click and where is the 1st/3rd person interaction.

$9K spaceship - whoopee do - there are guns worth nearly that in EU

A really confusing video :laugh:

I played this lame excuse for a game and have to say the Eve online does not cut the mustard at all

I never even got to the game part when I was trying it... Got a one month free trial, but game wouldn't start properly, so sent a support case asking about it , but didn't get a reply...

Four months later the reply arrived, with an easy fix mentioned and also telling me that my free trial had expired and I'd have to pay to try it... Obviously, I didn't :rolleyes:

This is only lost time of couple players, nothing more.

I believe the ship was an award given for an alliance war. It was very rare (perhaps only five in game) and cannot be simply built as there are no known blueprints available. So, you can have all the time in the world and not be able to get another one.

I never even got to the game part when I was trying it... Got a one month free trial, but game wouldn't start properly, so sent a support case asking about it , but didn't get a reply...

Four months later the reply arrived, with an easy fix mentioned and also telling me that my free trial had expired and I'd have to pay to try it... Obviously, I didn't :rolleyes:

Sounds like Entropia support to me.

Couldn't make head and tails of the video. Which ship is being attacked? what it looks like etc

so gonna try and find a better vid ...

edit:
guess ship was like this one:

Last edited:
Sounds like Entropia support to me.

Not to me, I always get quick replies here (a week at the most, think 20 minutes is the speed record so far)

ISK Dropped: 15,072,404,596
Original value: 36,536,900,000

36,536 - 15,072 = 21,46 billion loss

If they wreck was looted by friendly unit, only 21,46 billion loss

In black market prices (~$20 for one billion) this loss was only $429...

ISK Dropped: 15,072,404,596
Original value: 36,536,900,000

36,536 - 15,072 = 21,46 billion loss

If they wreck was looted by friendly unit, only 21,46 billion loss

In black market prices (~$20 for one billion) this loss was only $429...

In EVE, "Original Price" is the same as TT value in EU. So this is like saying that a Mod Merc is worth $150 because that is the max TT value.

ok, but Revenant BPC may drop if you kill Sansha Mothership in the Sansha Incursion missions, these ships is not unique and overpriced...

I have active accounts in both EVE and EU. From my experience-

EVE support has always been infinitely better than EU support. Although I have to give MA credit. The current EU support is much better than it used to be.

EVE is not an FPS game. It involves a lot more planning and strategy.

In EVE, you are allowed and encouraged to have multiple accounts. If your trial account expires before you get to use it, you can just create another one.

The videos from these blob fights are definitely boring to watch. It's like watching two armies fight and hoping to see who killed one of the Colonels.

ok, but Revenant BPC may drop if you kill Sansha Mothership in the Sansha Incursion missions, these ships is not unique and overpriced...

I do not know. That could be entirely true. But when you compare the market value of any pirate faction ship to it's standard equivalent, there's usually something like a 5x or 10x multiplier.

Regardless, it was a very expensive ship and someone really screwed up. :laugh:

Yeah I read this too and thought. *Pffft* 90,000 ped ($9k USD). That's not a record, that's Saturday.

Thinks back to certain items when item tiering was first introduced. (When you needed a second item and could lose it)

OK sure, none of those items were 90,000 peds but some of those lost items were sure not cheap.

Wonder if EU lost potential press opportunity back then? :laugh:

Returning to the ship cost. In EVE items have no TT (base) price, if they not selling by NPC traders (in this case the initial price from NPC you can see at least in history of different regions).
Price is determined by the cost of production (in several cases by rarity), as well as the MU that wants to get a reseller.
The situation is quite normal when the same object in two different regions differ in price several times.
For example the price for ship in one region is one million, 100 million in another. This price in 100 millions is determined by the arrogance of traders and resellers :) I can set the price for my Paladin for 30 billion, but no one will buy it. I am sure that this ship (from news) was built from BPC (Blueprint copy) that has not been purchased, and was obtained in the process of passing the Sansha mission. Then the losses are determined only by the cost of materials, as I wrote. Ship is not very good, Nyx has a better performance and more DPS (with fighters) :) And what price we have on Nyx?
So that the information about the real price of the ship, you got from the news - nothing.
And again, what is the value of money, if they can not legally withdraw?

Back