(ANSWERED) Is it better to chip in with big chips or small chips?

jambon

Stalker
Society
Shaolin
James Jambon Zidane
We all know that the more skill levels you have for a skill the large a skill chip you need to gain levels. But I was curious as to what's better - chipping in with a bunch of smaller chips (0.10 - 10 ped) or one big one (100+ ped).

My main questions being:
1. If you chip in with the smaller chips do you end up gaining more/less or the same levels for the same TT value as a larger chip?
2. If you chip in with a large chip do you get more bang for your buck in terms of reaching a higher final level than using several smaller chips?

Well after searching around I couldn't see that this question had been answered before (or at least if it was I couldn't find it) so I decided to figure it out for myself....

I trolled auction for a few days looking for a collection of smaller skill chips that would total a larger chip of the same skill and I finally found the perfect storm of circumstances. I came across 5 chips. One that was 1.10 ped and 4 others that when added together had a value of 1.10 peds.

Engineering Chips TT values:
1.10 (1674 -> 1822)

Looking at the 1.10 ped chip it said I would go from 1674 -> 1822 in engineering. So my test was to see if chipping in the other 4 chips would also bring me up to 1822.

After chipping in the first 4 I reached level 1825 (an additional 3 levels compared to just chipping the 1.10 ped chip).

So from that I drew the following conclusions:

1. The additional levels I gained are probably due to the fraction of pecs actually stored in each of the chips in the first place. (assuming maybe an extra 0.006 ped per chip that would mean a 2.4 pec additional skill chip) It's a known fact that while EU only shows 2 decimal places they actually use more than that when assessing value. Which is why if you do 1 pull on the TT mining extractor you will be able to repair it for seemingly 0.00 ped. (Your ped balance also contains fractions of a pec as well... I've done extensive testing of this in the past lol)

2. Even if the first isn't true it can be assumed that at least there's no inherit benefit from chipping large unless you're only looking at the total levels gained per pec. But IMO that's not a good metric to use because of the steep incline of skilling difficulty that happens as you gain levels. The only other advantage is the less decay used on the implant inserter.

3. If the first conclusion is in fact true it would mean that you technically do get a small benefit from chipping small. Though the advantage is only a handful of extra skill levels gained due to the extra micro pec stored in each skill chip. And really you'll more than likely be paying a premium for this benefit as smaller chips usually have a higher markup attached to them. Not to mention the extra decay in the implant inserter.

As a final conclusion:
Chip what you can afford when you can afford it with whatever chips are available for a good markup. Don't feel bad about only being able to chip a 12 ped chip each time you want to chip in instead of a fat 120 pedder. You're going to gain the same amount of benefit either way.

It's almost certainly due to fractions being rounded. Did u put all the small chips in tt to see what it added up to or just use a calculator to add the values? Chances are, if you'd put them in tt they would maybe have come to 1.11tt

Either way, a nice test.

It's almost certainly due to fractions being rounded. Did u put all the small chips in tt to see what it added up to or just use a calculator to add the values? Chances are, if you'd put them in tt they would maybe have come to 1.11tt

I just added with a calculator... didn't think to add them to the TT :tongue2:

or yeah, fruit test em all.

was MU paid bigger for the small chips?

Pretty sure it's the same, which means the big one will usually be cheaper, due to smaller costs.

Thanks for reporting, but yeah too bad you didn't tt-test them. :)

In the somewhat remote past the answer would have been "yes" because implanter decay was 4 peds (?) instead of just a pec or two. That also justified a much higher price for larger ESIs. I'm not sure what the justification/rationale is now for the huge chips having higher markup. Labor saving, i guess.

Note that when you are going the other direction (chipping out), at high levels you are limited on the granularity you can chip out because you must do it in increments of 1 level, and each level can be more than 1 ped TT volume at high skill levels.

Back