Would you (start to) play/deposit in EU as it is NOW?

If you were new, would you (start to) play/deposit in EU as it is NOW?

• YES, start to play. YES, deposit.

Votes: 136 62.7%
  • YES, start to play. NO, not deposit.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • NO, not start to play. NO, not deposit.

Votes: 46 21.2%

• Total voters

May

Mature
Dame May Starck
If active players would not have already invested so much time, money and friends in this game, would they still decide to start to play this game and deposit? Knowing how the game is now, and how it is run?

To clarify as to why I'm asking this question:
After playing other MMORPG's, I became tired of the 1337 shouting script-kiddies and servers closing. Looking around for a better suited game I wound up at Entropia Universe, because it is already running for a decade and has a RCE, which generates a more mature player base.

So I after arriving on Calypso last weekend I was going to deposit, ready to dive into the game. However then this whole 'summon' debacle started, and I came to this forum to find out what was being done about it.
Since I didn't want to log in while there was still a risk of accidentally accepting a summon, and winding up in space, killed, looted and stranded on the space station with no means to get back planet side; I started to read threads.

And although I know that in general forums tend to give a bit more negative view of the situation, because good news is no news. (For example: the news wont report the return of a lost wallet; unless it turns out to be from the Secretary of State, and the wallet contains a picture of him and his not-wife in a 'compromising' position... Then it will be front page news guaranteed.)
I was still surprised to read about so many problems that seemingly haven't been addressed satisfactorily by MindArk. Like this latest abuse of the summon feature is according to the posts here the work of a person who has had several support cases made against him, has been banned for having multiple accounts on this forum, but still has multiple in-game accounts with the same names, has apparently been previously banned from EU for scamming, yet somehow is allowed to continue his (mal)practices?
Is this really an example of how MA generally works?

A week seems a long time to take action, especially without any official statement to the general player base whatsoever; it doesn't promote a safe feeling.
(For instance reading here that it took 6 years to finally perm ban a bot abuser, doesn't really inspire a lot of trust in the way support/customer service is handled.)

This made me wonder: if active players would not have already invested so much time, money and friends in this game, would they still decide to start to play this game and deposit? Knowing how the game is now, and how it is run?
Furthermore: would you recommend new/potential players to play and deposit in this game? (disregarding any personal interest/CLD/LA you might have)

I apologize in advance if this is interpreted as criticism on a game I haven't even played properly yet; this is certainly not intended that way. I'm simply trying to get my doubts dispelled: I like the (basic) game itself, but this aspect of MA makes me hesitant.
And I'm just curious to see what the experts opinions of this topic really is.
Thank you for any (constructive) feedback.

For sure , never bin easier ,
game has improved so much over last years , i would depo without hesitation and i wil also would it be needed now.
Luckely dont have to depo to suport my leveling, but if i would yeah no doubt i would.

I would start to play without depositing but in the end I would get sucked in and depo.. Just how it all began when I started :) made it 18 months and 2 hofs without depositing though

Although don't expect MA to change, this game is what YOU make of it, find friends for life, skill and evolve that feel of accomplishment each time a new goal is breached is unparalleled in any game.

If you look at this as an expensive hobby and an adventure to last for years then this will be your new reality and for some their preferred reality ;)

No I would not.
Actually the game is great, community is nice. But we have "HUGE PILE OF SHIT" on it. I will not mention the name of the company :laugh:.

Yes, I probably would, because it's a bit different compared to other games/virtual worlds.
I would recommend new players to check it out without depositing and than make a small deposit to try out the game more seriously. Maybe you get the impression that it have many serious bugs and issues, but in my opinion that is not the case. It has bugs and issues that should be fixed, but nothing that are a "game killer".

I would start playing and depositing in a heartbeat, for me this game is pure awesome.

It is true that MindArk are quiet at times but they do listen to what the community says(check bates/kim interviews). I don't really think it is weird that we haven't gotten a statement on the "space crisis" though, it would only re-affirm what i already know, that they are looking into it.

The player that boted back in the day i think got banned pretty hastily, but the items on his account were not auction off until 6 years later.

Best regards
Zweshi

No, I wouldn't...

...because:

1. I hate planet partnership idea
2. I hate pointless grinding
3. Entropia doesn't require any real life skill
4. I don't like the idea that I couldn't reach uber status ever
5. game hasn't reached its potential in 10 years
6. the key to profit is too simple and hasn't changed for a long time
7. development team(s) doesn't have courage, eye-for-detail, goals apart from making hell a lot of money and they don't stick to what they have promised
8. Entropia has lost its soul
1000. Real Cash Economy

Sorry for the negativity. There is a lot of good things too.

After seeing this game evolve, I'd deposit and start playing in a heartbeat. Game has become much more affordable for low lvl players now. Only area getting screwed are the lvl 50-60 hunters..... Mu on the gear they need is stupid.

Menace

Hej May, and welcome to Entropia. :)

And although I know that in general forums tend to give a bit more negative view of the situation, because good news is no news.
Very true. And unfortunately very very true for Entropia too.
The general attitude here has always been 10 times worse than in-game.

Maybe because this is where most people go, if they need to whine, complaint or just bitch about something.

I was still surprised to read about so many problems that seemingly haven't been addressed satisfactorily by MindArk....
Funny thing is... I recently browsed through my old threads to look for a specific one I had a hard time finding.
As I did, I noticed to my surprise, that almost all the wished and suggestions I made during 2005-2008 had been implemented by MA. Not all of them in the way I suggested or imagined, but they still solved the problem. And many was even implemented pretty much as suggested back then.

I think they listen to us. They suck at giving feedback, and they're often very slow. But ofc they care about Entropia, or it wouldn't still be here.

Like this latest abuse of the summon feature is according to the posts here the work of a person who has had several support cases made against him, has been banned for having multiple accounts on this forum, but still has multiple in-game accounts with the same names, has apparently been previously banned from EU for scamming, yet somehow is allowed to continue his (mal)practices?
Is this really an example of how MA generally works?

A week seems a long time to take action, especially without any official statement to the general player base whatsoever; it doesn't promote a safe feeling.
(For instance reading here that it took 6 years to finally perm ban a bot abuser, doesn't really inspire a lot of trust in the way support/customer service is handled.)
Yes, they are often annoyingly slow.

Not sure which story about a 'bot abuser' you refer to. If you mean those with the hunting bots, I can assure you that it didn't take them 6 years to ban. It might have taken them 6 years to run it through the court and everything, until the official statement was made, but they were banned and their assets were frozen very quickly.

This made me wonder: if active players would not have already invested so much time, money and friends in this game, would they still decide to start to play this game and deposit? Knowing how the game is now, and how it is run?
Furthermore: would you recommend new/potential players to play and deposit in this game? (disregarding any personal interest/CLD/LA you might have)
Yes, I'd play it. And I would deposit.
Because it's the best game I've ever played. Around 4 years ago I was a little bit bored, and I really needed money IRL, so I sold out and withdrew my money.
After that, without my gear/skills and old soc mates, it became a lot more boring and I eventually quit entirely.
Last year I missed Entropia and concluded that no other game I had played, would ever be able to keep my interest for so many years and have such depth, so I returned.

And I was very happy to return and find that Entropia had become so much better than before I left. So many new things, features and places to explore. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed, if I hadn't been away. :dunno:

You seem like a bright guy, so you should have a good shot at doing well here. ;)
Anyways, hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Last edited:
After reading your first post in this forum, I think you have the right outlook to play and survive in this. Yes I would deposit. Although I believe that MA screwed up by not temp-banning the summon offenders right away while they sorted it out, on the other hand, I understand it is a large issue to deal with. Although I heartily called them out on it, along with threatening to stop my depo if they don't temp ban these guys while they sort out a fix for this issue, I still have confidence both in them AND in the the fact that a smart player can play this game on a decent deposit, for a long time. I have been a substantial depositor for a long time, and will continue to do so.

As mentioned, it has never been easier to be a noob. Get in and enjoy it and see what it is about. You seem to have read a lot before depositing, and that is great, but I emphasize that you should read EVERY damn thread on every site, and study and use all the tools on Entropedia, and Entropia Life. My first few years were played blindly, and I regret it. Your ability to have fun and play for as close to free as possible is governed by one thing really, KNOWLEDGE. So spend your formative years learning.

Last edited:
I'm a non depositor.
When I started ( 3 years ago) , they were no explanation to the game, it was only,and not a lot of starting mate,so here a VSK, do some stuffy stuff. You didn't know why you would stay, therefore why you should depo for a game you don't know ?
Now you have a real gateway, a bit of an explanation some free vehicule, some free weapon, and a shit load of people in Camp Icarus, you have a better vision of a game, that can make you feel easier to depo.
But still have voted no for depo, i still don't trust MA.

No shame in depositing just a little. Put yourself on a budget maybe and play for $20 a month. Keep it simple. Have fun.

Sure.

If I wasn't enjoying myself now I wouldn't keep playing. If I didn't have confidence in the game I wouldn't keep investing in growing a business within it. The game keeps getting bigger and better.

Yes there are occasional huge controversies that I wish were better handled, eg the current summoning issue. Yes there are things that are poorly implemented and decisions made that I strongly disagree with. But I feel it's a rewarding and challenging environment, better than when I started, so why wouldn't I play\deposit if I was just starting now?

I don't really think it is weird that we haven't gotten a statement on the "space crisis" though, it would only re-affirm what i already know, that they are looking into it.

I understand that you already know they are looking into it, but that's just the point: I (and other new players) don't know them (yet), and have no way to 'know' this.
Imagine you are a noob in your first days, and a 'panic' like this broke out. Would your first reaction be: I'm sure they are looking into it right now?
Mine was more like: AAargh! wth is this???? Followed by a trip to the EU website for information as to what was going on. Not finding anything there, I looked at the news/update tab in the client-loader (which seemed a good spot to me if you only want to reach your player base and not the general public). Still coming up empty I looked for their own forum, but as it turns out this is the closest to an 'official' forum there is?

I'm not saying they should have banned & announced the first day of course, but customer contact is a very important part of doing business. Just a simple small message that there is an issue (with summons) and they are working on it, would not only have calmed people by acknowledging their worries, but at the same time would have warned the community as a whole (including the ones that do not frequent a forum).

Thank you for your input: all opinions help me to get a clearer picture.

Hej May, and welcome to Entropia. :)
Thank you for my first welcome in Entropia!
It's a much nicer one than I received from my first in-game 'welcome'.
(Still inside the gateway a guy insisted I fly with him so he could explain why I had to click his referral link for free peds. And got upset I wasn't enthusiastic, because he was spending rl $10 everyday to "rescue you noobs" from the gateway...)
I think they listen to us. They suck at giving feedback, and they're often very slow.
Not sure which story about a 'bot abuser' you refer to. If you mean those with the hunting bots, I can assure you that it didn't take them 6 years to ban. It might have taken them 6 years to run it through the court and everything, until the official statement was made, but they were banned and their assets were frozen very quickly.
That's much better than the initial impression I got.
You seem like a bright guy, so you should have a good shot at doing well here.
Thank you for the detailed response.

Oh, and just a small titbit of info from my side: I'm not a guy... :eek: Guess I should fill in the account info.

I just picked up mining after a year or more of inactivity.

You seem to have read a lot before depositing, and that is great, but I emphasize that you should read EVERY damn thread on every site, and study and use all the tools on Entropedia, and Entropia Life. My first few years were played blindly, and I regret it. Your ability to have fun and play for as close to free as possible is governed by one thing really, KNOWLEDGE. So spend your formative years learning.
There seems to be a staggering amount of information on EU out there! And because there is such a big investment in time/money required, I have put my studying on hold until my doubts have been dispelled. Though the responses so far look positive.

Thank you for the advise!

-----

For everybody else who has responded so far: thank you for your time!
It's good to hear from multiple persons that a ban doesn't take 6 years to be implicated.
And that even tough they are slow in their customer contact the majority (so far) seems to have enough faith in MA to start to play.

One little question I would like to add though. And I sincerely hope this wont step on anyone's toes, but: what if EU wasn't the only RCE MMORPG (in this style) out there? Would you still chose this game? And why?

ps. I'm sorry I couldn't get all the responses in 1 post, but I failed to manage the quotes otherwise: my apologies.

I might start playing but I doubt it would be for long. It's deviated too much from the original PE that I joined 7 years ago.

I stopped depositing in the first place because of what PE was becoming, ever increasing demands on equipment just to keep your current position. At first it was L sib and now it's tiering and enhancers. If I started now I'd probably give up after a week.

Communication from MA has always been an issue, they make a half hearted attempt every now and then but usually it stops after a month or two. Some PP's make an effort but MA now just hide behind them. During updates they hide any information that might be taken poorly by the players - they said space was pvp but refused to answer when asked if that was lootable because they were selling high cost motherships at the same time.

Last edited:
They have indeed improved a lot of peripheral stuff and made some very cool things like instances and new UL armor. So it has gotten better on the surface, yes.

MA's complete lack of desire to communicate, inability to at least return a core system(taming) after 4 years of stealing from the players who enjoyed it, lack of imagination in quest development and missions...all good reasons to play casually but certainly not deposit heavily.

Yes and Yes. Even considering all the flaws, I basically see no alternatives, something that can be seen as a lifetime experience. And if I'd stop liking it I would quit immediately no matter how much time and money I've already spent, because it would save me from spending a lot more in future.

One little question I would like to add though. And I sincerely hope this wont step on anyone's toes, but: what if EU wasn't the only RCE MMORPG (in this style) out there? Would you still chose this game? And why?

It's a question impossible to answer without seeing what those hypothetical alternatives, of which there are none, have to offer. And in any case EU has the advantage of the longevity, other games would have to prove with years of activity that they're here to stay.

Nope I wouldnt play or start, as I have the feeling its close to impossible to loot some nice stuff :(

It's a question impossible to answer without seeing what those hypothetical alternatives, of which there are none, have to offer. And in any case EU has the advantage of the longevity, other games would have to prove with years of activity that they're here to stay.
That's why I was hesitant to bring it up, but end of 2013 there is an alternative going alpha. This is mainly the reason I wanted to see if I didn't make a mistake by coming here, and would be better off waiting to see what the competition manages.
But yeah longevity counts, although good customer service is especially in a RCE quite vital, me thinks...
Frankly still don't really know...:scratch2:

Thank you for responding anyway: to hear the specifics of people's likes/dislikes helps a lot.

Last edited:
but end of 2013 there is an alternative going alpha.

Something that calls itself RCE, without even offering any decent depictions of gameplay so far, only lots of words and promises. We already have seen one "alternative", even named similarly (afterworld vs aftertime), that is still in alpha after 6 years and recently stopped calling itself RCE (which it never was) and now use "free market economy" slogan instead.

I understand that you already know they are looking into it, but that's just the point: I (and other new players) don't know them (yet), and have no way to 'know' this.
Imagine you are a noob in your first days, and a 'panic' like this broke out. Would your first reaction be: I'm sure they are looking into it right now?
Mine was more like: AAargh! wth is this???? Followed by a trip to the EU website for information as to what was going on. Not finding anything there, I looked at the news/update tab in the client-loader (which seemed a good spot to me if you only want to reach your player base and not the general public). Still coming up empty I looked for their own forum, but as it turns out this is the closest to an 'official' forum there is?

I'm not saying they should have banned & announced the first day of course, but customer contact is a very important part of doing business. Just a simple small message that there is an issue (with summons) and they are working on it, would not only have calmed people by acknowledging their worries, but at the same time would have warned the community as a whole (including the ones that do not frequent a forum).

Thank you for your input: all opinions help me to get a clearer picture.

You do raise a good point, but to be honest with you i don't think i would be all that concerned even if i was new, but of course we are all different and that is what makes the world interesting :).

Oh by the way, welcome to Entropia, i hope you will enjoy it here!

Best regards
Zweshi

Something that calls itself RCE, without even offering any decent depictions of gameplay so far, only lots of words and promises. We already have seen one "alternative", even named similarly (afterworld vs aftertime), that is still in alpha after 6 years and recently stopped calling itself RCE (which it never was) and now use "free market economy" slogan instead.
Heh, nice: I thought mention of other games were 'red flags' here too.
But yeah, I saw the previous 'alternative', and wasn't terribly impressed by it. Since this new one seems to have the same (partial) roots, I wondered if they were connected somehow.
That's why I installed EU in the end. It's just that the management made me doubt again.

Last edited:
Read all the replies, I'll add some comments.

I still enjoy logging into EU, at high levels it does require a decent bank roll to give you a decent chance of cycling to crack a good loot. If you have a fat bank roll and manage your peds in a wise way focusing on the most entertainment for the least amount of risk, then you can generally get by ok...even at high level.

Like has been said before (think it was jimmy B) "EU provides many ways to lose", for instance you can choose to run a 30K ped craft in a few hours with some top end Blueprints, or hunt at top level with a few k for a few hours. One activity will carry more risk than the other, so choose wisely with your real money.

I have no idea how MA manage their business, although I generally believe that they attempt to manage withdrawals against deposits to survive, not to mention pay their own bills. If times are good and MA has peds to pay out, I truly believe they throw more ped into the pool for looting.

If we are discussing here "MA verses the player" It's about looking for those signs there is ped to be dropped. It's easy of course to get sucked in and throw more ped after more ped at an activity. I find it's just as important to manage yourself to get the best from EU.

The RCE element is what makes the game attractive, it just comes with the downside of being more expensive. But who knows at any time you can loot something very valuable...and that's a big part of what EU is all about.

We choose to take EU, or leave it. I hope the game sticks around.

Rick

ps: The constant being summoned to space started to annoy me personally some months ago, so I removed myself from those ships register. Just like in RL, protect your cash, think about what you do and what risks you are putting on your under before putting your money at risk dealing with other avatars or their services.

Maybe, maybe not, not sure. It was MAs ISP that got me to try PE/EU out in 2003,
and I'm still here... ;)

There are several reasons why I still play, two of those are, 1) community, and 2) there is a huge
potential for the game.
Sadly both these two reasons to stay has decreased in their influence to stay... and a lot too. :(

No I would not start playing or paying now, in fact I have most likely stopped. I would not start playing this game because I don't like pvp mmo's and space has really brought that pvp game, from out of the ring and placed it right in the way of all my travel.

I usually don't play pvp games, this one changed on me after 5 years of playing. kinda frustrating had I known that eventually pvp would be so much the focus, id never have made any of my deposits, or wasted my time skilling.

Now I think, if they like pvp this much, enough to make us have to travel through it...what will they change next? is full pvp planet possible? how horrible would that be for me!, no reason to depo anymore or chase ideas or dreams in game..when the game appears to be moving in a direction I would never enjoy.

I did before, I guess I would now too.
It's the ignorance of my own gambling problem, that caught me off guard. Not Entropia itself.

Yo, started in November 2005 during the Neverdie hype ... and I'm still here. That was Project Entropia. But I cannot answer to your question. I don't know and can not try out what feelings it would cause if I would come to this place today for the very first time. Me and some of my old fellows from this days back in 2005 (just to name Rick and Zunami) became serious colonists and act on a more or less high level here meanwhile. But well, it took 8 years and a serious amount of PED.

What I love here is the freedom to do what I want. Neither races nor clans you need to accept, no restriction to professions you choosed once, no fix monthly fee etc. The reason I am here is the freedom to do what I want to do whenever I want to and can afford it. And - if you want to do - you may live here completely for free. I am pretty sure that this is a unique offer. Lately (again) I did a search for serious alternates. There are no alternates for me.

Seems I will stay here for a while. I don't know if I would stay here nowadays as a complete noob. But I assume I would ... not sure about ...

Back