New Ideas for MA To consid: Part 1: PVP Areas..

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Okay It's been 2 years since MA has released space and I guess the game for Space has been getting kind of old hat... and for good reason..

Space in my opinion has started to become boring and non exciting and in fact I am writing this multi-part idea so you can get an idea of what I am thinking..

Now let's start off with the basics, and in fact w could really get this ball rolling with tons of ideas.. But Let's start off with the basics... and go from there..

So in Part 1 of thiis series, I feel that the big address is the hottest topic on th bunch. Namely PVP

First off How much space should be PVP and how it should work:

Now first of all I'm not against Lootable PVP, to say the least. IN fact some of these guys actually make their living trying to stop you (Other guys like myself) try to make a livng flying through said space, and in fact this is where the question lies.. How much space should be PVP and what parts should it be.. and could there even be compromises here.. including non-lootable sections of space...

This is currently a hot topic debate, but here's my ideas on PVP.. and again this is one person's opinion of it but again hear me out..

PVP should have safe zones.. It's a fact.. But where should these places be? The answer is quite simple when you look at wht is called the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea Consider the aero around a planet as a Safe zone, and this is out to a set distance from the "Entr or Exit Point" for a planet.. (and yet there woud be Rat least 4 to 16 spawn ponts around the planet.. depending on where you want to leave from and the direciton you are heading when you enter space..

Now like I stated this area around the planet would be considerd "Territorial waters" and yes just like in Real life, there would be a "Safe limit" before you enter the now Lootable PVP..(Some territorial waters would be just 3 miles (or 3 au in this case) from the entroy and exit points.. and beyond that, you're in pirate terriroty..

Now if this simple fact was implemented, and was in fact used, a lot more players might venture out into space.. more players in space = More potential targets to pirate..

But to be fair to the players who want to go venturing out into space, there should be at least a multiple amount of exit and try points (Exit points (Leving a planet0 could be from 4 to 32 depending on the PP's want.. (Having 1 point of entry into space, is rather weak as it allows camping.. and thus pirates save fuel waitign for prey and pilots get zero chance to elude pirates.. (due to the current exploits in game)..

Now with Mulitple Entry points into space, this would remove the "Camping" theory and force a pirate to actually go wandering around and not camping at one particular spot.. In short this would force pirates to become active searching fighters, rather than lazy fat bastards. who sit all day waiting for some poor sap to come along..

Other than the safe "Territorial wters" (around each planet0 the rest of space save for the sammler stations (which would indeed have smaller radiuses of safety) would be the only places anyone could be safe in.. and yes thse would be Spheres of influence.. and if MA wanted they could actually remove or turn off certain places.. This would force some players to avoid areas wheer eno afe PVP around a station would be..Thus Forcing the Player to burn more fuel in the process.. conversely Pirates could take over these areas and use them for bases of Operations in order to get players there..or toloot them.. Think o it as Somalia in today's worls.. You hear a lot about Somali pirates. and usually the Territorial waters around this country are usually pirate hotbeds..

But other than that, no further changes shold be made.. So here are the requestites..

"Territorial areas" (PP owned and Controlled areas usually a set distance around a planet.. Multiple entry points into space based on direction and heading (and thus it would allow players to explore space without the fear of getting shot at in the first 2 minutes and ruin their experience.. and above all since we have these points, Piraes would be forced to hunt.. rather than camp..(Lame idea on Camping..)

(Other than that, the rest would be lootable PVP On "International waters" (and only stackables as the current rules state..after all you're going after cargo, not weapons, or ammo, or probes.. would defeat part of the game)

But this is just step 1.. in upcoming posts, I have newer ideas for making space fun.. and in fact maybe someone can point the devs to these threads.. after all this is just an idea coming from a playr..

Benjamin "Ben" Coyote (Call sign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The Blind sniper"

even in real world 'territorial waters' there are pirates at times... but the difference between in game and real world is in those areas there is more local law enforcement...

MA should put in the territorial waters you speak of, but also allow sometimes some pvp lootable in there, but as soon as that loot happens it instantly turns on a 'manhunt' vs the looter, which runs a full 24 hours that the looter is LOGGED IN... not real 24 hours but 24 hours of the time they are actually logged in. If they log out the 24 hour timespan expands until they log back in, etc. When under 'manhunt' the 'pirate' is now lootable ANYWHERE IN GAME... both in lootable and non lootable space...

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine or want to waste the time..

even in real world 'territorial waters' there are pirates at times... but the difference between in game and real world is in those areas there is more local law enforcement...

MA should put in the territorial waters you speak of, but also allow sometimes some pvp lootable in there, but as soon as that loot happens it instantly turns on a 'manhunt' vs the looter, which runs a full 24 hours that the looter is LOGGED IN... not real 24 hours but 24 hours of the time they are actually logged in. If they log out the 24 hour timespan expands until they log back in, etc. When under 'manhunt' the 'pirate' is now lootable ANYWHERE IN GAME... both in lootable and non lootable space...

Acually I tend to agree with this idea, but I like the fact that once you cross the line and you kill a persojn and loot them you're a target. In fact MA should scrap the whole "Ship Karma" idea on the basis that it's your reputation thaat determines if you are a bad guy or a good guy. The Lower your reputation the worse it goes for you.. Sure it might turn people off to being a pirate, but then it might knock some sense into them about the whole looting idea.. and yes the manhunt Idea is what I was perfering in the idea when it comes to "PVP Flagging" Drop your overall reputation too far, and you end up being a target in either PVP or Non-PVP, and yes a time limit would be a good idea. The theif has a 24 hour time limit (and like you pointed out it would be based on the Log in time that the person is LOGGED in.. so this forces him to do one of two things..

Either:

1. Stay logged in for an actual 24 hours or spread his time over a dfew days trying tnot to get caught.. also the Bounty Rule would apply.. But I would stress that the player's rep would be kept at the level and thus he would have to build it up.. with events he would have to do to get his name upstanding in the community (Think of it as serving a sentence for doing your crime). Might give these guys a reason to try and throw their own events to either try to entice others to do the dirty work for them.. and who knows? Since they say there are "No Honor" amongst thieves (as has been pointed out in antoher thread by a certain someone who shall remain nameless, they could scam people and ruin their reputation further..

or 2.. They could try to hide, but remember in this game, it's very hard to hide on any world, be it Calypso , Arkadia, or even Rocktropia (heck Next Island could even be used as a Pirate base to set up shop, but then they'd have to set up their own system.. and if word got out, well then, people would be looking for them.

Like you said, the penalty is high when you loot and steal..

Now with PVP, and space in Genral the "Territorial Waters idea is perfect for a couple of reasons..

1 One Idea I had for Calypso (and the other worlds is that the Space stations would be at near the mid point of the safe zone and thus it allows pilots who are shuttling people up to a station to catch a warp flight free from worry about being looted (Sure the same applies now, but the area would be such that the pilots shuttling wouldn't have to wrry about being looted..

but the moment you pss the "Territorial" limit then you're a sitting duck..
(Only exception to this around Calypso would be FOMA, which would still charge the peddage but at a lower cost (Say 10 ped vs the Space stations 7..

As for the other indiviual staions, the whole idea wold be that MA could if they wanted to make safe zones or turn them all off and make the entir area lootable.. but this would dedfgeat the purpose of even a short hop where a player could disembark from a ship, and then fly the rest of the way at his own risk. but it would also give a chance for Pirates to hang out at these locations and use them as Pirate bases..(rather than the "Camping in space near a planet they would be forece to Cap near the PCVP zones or even more inside of it.. but in safe zones, where they could plan their attacks on tships..

Which I feel would be a bitter option than sitting and camping around a station and hope in the first 2 minutes they get lucky and get someone..

Also this would give pilots an optionto.. To fly into these smaller safe zones and risk being jumped or ride it all the way out to another planet and hope they don't get jumped..

I mean PVP space is very big, and a lot of players can hide in this area.. behind an asteroidk, or inside a nebula waiting to strike and thus forcing pirlots to take longer safer routs (if they are safe that is..)

what this does is the following:

Reduces Camping around stations (and this is an issue where more and more people are going into space and causing huge amounts of lag. Add to that the exploits that pirates use and it's surprising that the servers haven't crashed yet..

But if they did these changes I woldn't mind.. would give me ore of a challnge to see if anyone would follow me..

Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote (Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

Back