To make mentoring easier, please read and think about solutions

Mad Mike

Provider
Society
Skyfall
Mike Mad Mike Hoare
Hi,

I currently have 6 disciples connected to me as Mentor. Three obviously not playing anymore since I never see them online again and not making any Progress and three new ones (1-2 week old), one making very fast Progress after I supported him with items like weapon/fap/finder/etc.

Now I would like to come to the point, where MA could improve some feature in mentoring.

1. Make it possible to give away several items as 'mentor items' to disciple. I.e. "mark checkbox"
2. Disciple can not repair/sell/drop these items, hence to repair (if UL) the mentor and disciple have to meet each other from time to time.
3. Limited items the disciple got from the Mentor can NOT be sold/dropped/traded, as the idea behind it is to use the L item he got from his/her Mentor to skill up! This would also prevent scams.
4. Mentor can recall all items that were given to the disciple with the checkbox marked as mentioned in 1.

I gave away stuff worth ~1k ped to the three disciples that now don't play anymore and even the disciples promised to give them back in case they dont play anymore, they never did. One stopped at 26% for whatever reason. These items are now either idle in their storage or they sold out and withdrew the PED - who knows. What I know is, the armors, guns, tools etc. are gone and this doesn't motivate me, as a mentor, to do such things again or first see how new disciples do - but without to deposit, they will not have items hence they don't know if it's worth to deposit (crazy loop).

It should be in MindArks interest, that Mentors can support new players with items, but make sure they get them back. This means the new players have to deposit to get their own items after they figured it might be worth depositing.

I know such ideas have been posted many times, but maybe developers think about such ideas again if people, that actually like mentoring new players, mention such ideas from time to time.

Thanks for the time and best regards
Mike

Last edited:
Would be a great way to lend things safely .. not only for the pupils to a mentor but for everyone in the game or.. ??

you do realize there are alot of people who disciple to scam.....
just saying

Would be a great way to lend things safely .. not only for the pupils to a mentor but for everyone in the game or.. ??

I think we have to seperate the idea from lending stuff to people and from supporting new Players. MindArk makes Money if people can not safely lend items to other people unless they maybe know them very very well (and not even then it is safe).

By supporting new people we actually do MindArks Job and get punished if disciples don't give back the items when they don't play anymore.

you do realize there are alot of people who disciple to scam.....
just saying

This is why MA should help protect Mentors so they can help those, that want to really Play and not only get a few free PED by keeping the items.

That sucks on your loss btw really see what you want to do but... can't it be those cheap noob guns that are L?
maybe some you trust but some you need to see what is and what isn't.......

anyways can't trust everyone you meet you need to get to know them truly. Test there patience's, and Experience true moments of joy... laughter etc....

anyways........
there are other options... i understand what you want, but that is only through trust. Real life you wouldn't give you keys to your car first time you meet them cause they are a new driver?
heh

i hope you can get some of those items back can only hope but i been scammed for a good 500ped in amps

stupid me

GL out there hope something good comes to you.

too bad you lost some things but hopefully you learned the lesson now

and tbh is $10 or even $5(paypal?) too much to ask for trying out the game?

Stop giving stuff to disciples.

I stopped mentoring some while ago - even if I think I'm a pretty good mentor, at least for the level the new players are at.

For the last year, without exceptions in my case, new players asked for items or peds and they pointed out that other "new people" they know got something from their mentor. Many of them are scammers and alt avas anyway.

Now that I see you wasted 1000 ped on 3 players, I see what's feeding this. 300 ped is enough to finish the disciple fast, and should not come from the mentor's pocket.

The lending option is a great idea and was suggested before (for item lending for hunts etc).

Is the graduation process fixed then ?
I see no incentive for a mentor right now , apart from getting yet another hunter face mask , when it is time for the disciple to graduate they cant because of the bug , and we look like twats . (We includes you MA )

Mentor or boss?

Hi I have been playing for a week now and enjoyed the game enough that I spent $10.00 so I could buy a decent hovercraft/ammo/mining probes to be able to get to as many TPs as I could because I love to explore as much of Calypso as I can.This way I save on wear on my newb car and hovercraft! Ok so now I want to get a mentor that does not try to boss me around or offer me items because I want to experience game play they way I want to and not be forced to do what they tell me to do. Advice from a mentor is good to get when I have a question but I do not enjoy it being rammed down my throat! Ok yea I am a 61 year old cranky old man who has been gaming since "Pong" and fell in love with electronic games. :woot: So bottom line is if you want to be a "let the newb make his own stupid mistakes" kind of mentor send old Gaspra Moon a message and we can get this party started!
I do have a slightly twisted sense of humor even in my favorite avatar name "Gaspra is one of the moons of Uranus...:D
See you in the game!

Hi I have been playing for a week now and enjoyed the game enough that I spent $10.00 so I could buy a decent hovercraft/ammo/mining probes to be able to get to as many TPs as I could because I love to explore as much of Calypso as I can.This way I save on wear on my newb car and hovercraft! Ok so now I want to get a mentor that does not try to boss me around or offer me items because I want to experience game play they way I want to and not be forced to do what they tell me to do. Advice from a mentor is good to get when I have a question but I do not enjoy it being rammed down my throat! Ok yea I am a 61 year old cranky old man who has been gaming since "Pong" and fell in love with electronic games. :woot: So bottom line is if you want to be a "let the newb make his own stupid mistakes" kind of mentor send old Gaspra Moon a message and we can get this party started!
I do have a slightly twisted sense of humor even in my favorite avatar name "Gaspra is one of the moons of Uranus...:D
See you in the game!

I like cranky :yay:

If you don't mind whips.....Ild be happy to help ya hehe

I send you a request to be friends, hit me up when you are ingame :)

Advice from a mentor is good to get when I have a question but I do not enjoy it being rammed down my throat!

I agree, but...as a mentor you should do more than just be there when he needs you. EU is based on real cash, means some mistakes cost your disciple real money and that loss could be avoided by telling them a few basics and prevent them from being scammed as well. Before your disciple buys a pistol/rifle, maybe tell them about the skill system - in case this comes up. If he wants to try out mining, tell him about it and maybe tell him where good LAs are with less mobs etc.

As I said, making mistakes and find out by your own can cost a little fortune and makes new players maybe quit as many of them probably expected some better ingame help tutorials provided by MindArk itself.

Best regards
Mike

Last edited:
Safe lending could perhaps be even more useful outside mentoring (because mentoring system as it is isn't any good); but then, if MA ever implements safe lending, it would probably be paid service. Well... why not?

Last edited:
i have written support asking for such things...
how it would work is......

The Item would go into a NPC AKA MindArk this in turn Creates a Lending Deed and A ORIGINAL BOND TO avatar DEED which would hold evidence of the avatar's property.
the Deed in the person's inventory would spawn item
The Deed would have AGREED terms of accepting.... so ofc you discuss the price /monthly/weekly/daily
Payment would have to occur on the Item Deed Exchange ofc Mindark would take a Solid fee or would work off % in the Value of the RENT would occur from the player.

once time is up Boom Item is back to NPC Deed is null and original owner can pick it up.

what i suggested in some sense this was before clds

Personally I think this is a bad idea.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with giving a disciple a reward, new players should not need anything they cannot acquire from new arrival missions, loot off low level mobs, or trade for whilst they are a disciple.

If you don't know how to advise and show them how to do this, you don't have the experience or knowledge to be a mentor.

If MA do read this thread it will hopefully remind them that the requirements to be an official mentor should be higher. Much higher.

Personally I think this is a bad idea.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with giving a disciple a reward, new players should not need anything they cannot acquire from new arrival missions, loot off low level mobs, or trade for whilst they are a disciple.

If you don't know how to advise and show them how to do this, you don't have the experience or knowledge to be a mentor.

If MA do read this thread it will hopefully remind them that the requirements to be an official mentor should be higher. Much higher.

I know how to advice, but I also know how boring the game can become when you do not have anything else to do than stand in line at noob oil rig or gather sweat for a few PEC. Since Mentors are actually doing MindArks work, MindArk should maybe improve the possibilities of Mentors to interact and improve their disciples life/game expirience. Also, and this is a side-effect, new Players get maybe more addicted to the game when they see what else is possible than with their new arrivals Equipment. More addictied equal more People deposit Money equal more People benefit from it.

Hi,

I currently have 6 disciples connected to me as Mentor. Three obviously not playing anymore since I never see them online again and not making any Progress and three new ones (1-2 week old), one making very fast Progress after I supported him with items like weapon/fap/finder/etc.

Now I would like to come to the point, where MA could improve some feature in mentoring.

1. Make it possible to give away several items as 'mentor items' to disciple. I.e. "mark checkbox"
2. Disciple can not repair/sell/drop these items, hence to repair (if UL) the mentor and disciple have to meet each other from time to time.
3. Limited items the disciple got from the Mentor can NOT be sold/dropped/traded, as the idea behind it is to use the L item he got from his/her Mentor to skill up! This would also prevent scams.
4. Mentor can recall all items that were given to the disciple with the checkbox marked as mentioned in 1.

I gave away stuff worth ~1k ped to the three disciples that now don't play anymore and even the disciples promised to give them back in case they dont play anymore, they never did. One stopped at 26% for whatever reason. These items are now either idle in their storage or they sold out and withdrew the PED - who knows. What I know is, the armors, guns, tools etc. are gone and this doesn't motivate me, as a mentor, to do such things again or first see how new disciples do - but without to deposit, they will not have items hence they don't know if it's worth to deposit (crazy loop).

It should be in MindArks interest, that Mentors can support new players with items, but make sure they get them back. This means the new players have to deposit to get their own items after they figured it might be worth depositing.

I know such ideas have been posted many times, but maybe developers think about such ideas again if people, that actually like mentoring new players, mention such ideas from time to time.

Thanks for the time and best regards
Mike
I think you suggestions are good and well thought out.

However, I'm not a big fan of "paying" disciples.
It's been many years since I last took a disciple, but in my mind, Mentors are here to help with advice, and to learn new players how to play the game and maybe most important of all: How to manage their economy, whether they wanna play for free or set a budget or go big with investments etc. This is the most difficult part of Entropia, and the reason you see many MA-haters on these forums.

Giving them freebies and money isn't really helping with that. And the mentor rewards I've had in the past was worth very little. I did however make some very good friends. :)

The community have been asking for a loan-system for many years. This is basically what you're asking for too, though limited to mentor/disciples. I'm pretty sure MA isn't gonna implement it. Not in general and not for mentoring.

Why do new players need that many peds to progress? I've graduated disciples (RL friends) on a fraction of that, but I never give peds away to disciples I don't know. It simply encourages bad behavior. How do you know these disciples aren't just one person multi accounting to scam more peds from you?

Back