Wait...what? *Auto triggered skill bonus*

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
Automatically triggered skill bonuses. Duration and strength of the triggered bonus is dependent on the level of recent activity.

Wait, what...? What does this mean? You get less skill gains if, for whatever reason, you cannot be as active as some others? Is this a smart thing? Because basically, while encouraging activity for some, it may also be the final push for those less active to drop out entirely... this idea worries me, because my activity comes in waves (yay for RL being in the way. Will playing be pointless, unless I take a few days off from work?) which way will this work out?

Or, maybe the first question should be: HOW does this work?

I reckon "recent" means something "last half an hour" in this context, and first implementations will probably be cautious to the point of being useless, e.g., temporary +1 stamina for one hour after running five miles straight.

edit: well, at least I hope so. :D

As i have as much information as anyone else i just can make a guess. In SWTOR for example you gain skills faster after a few days of inactivity. Probably they tried something similiar here. I don't know what to think about it, but for now i can live with it as long as it does not mean i get less skills than before under any circumstances. I more detailed clarification about this point by an official would be appreciated.

probably the other way around, give bonus gains to those who play less then daily.

They called it a "bonus", that implies that it's extra skill gain for no-life players :p and same gain for the rest.

Play more = spend more ....... as in loose more but you get a bonus : )

LOL at anyone thinking it would be skill gain that builds up when you are OFF-LINE. Holy shit that would be the worst idea ever for a company with MA's current model. Not even a 6 year old would give someone more lemonade at their lemonade stand if they weren't normal well-paying customer. However, as an enticement to inactive players, it might get them back for a few days, but if that is the case, the off-line requirement would be 6 months minimum, and the effect would be deliberately hard to quantify AND minimal.. Anything other than that is ludicrous.

Last edited:
The semantics behind the MA VU info is really a topic for a thesis in rethorics.
Lets break this down shall we word by word

Automatically triggered skill bonuses. Duration and strength of the triggered bonus is dependent on the level of recent activity.

Automatically

What does this mean? Do you get random skill bonuses just by doing nothing? Independant of the current action? And if so what skill would be bonused if so? Random or related to what you are currently doing?

Duration

When did a bonus have a duration? All the bonuses I know of do not have a duration, they just happen.

Strength

Same here, a skill bonus has never before had a strength. Just a skill bonus or not. Are we getting some sort of strength weighted skill bonus?

Recent activity

This could mean time units/(day/week/month) or peds spent/time unit or both.

I seriously have no clue what this means. :scratch2:

Play more = spend more ....... as in loose more but you get a bonus : )

It may be logical only if the MA plan to make our skills useless when it comes to selling them but not in the game.:wise:

Think myself and that MA has begun to approach all games where you pay a monthly fee,and slowly but surely, they will fool us all the money we depposit to the game of the skills and items we have.

Last edited:
Well it is obvious to me what it means. Certain activities in game will trigger skill gain periods, and those periods vary in length according to the level of difficulty of the triggering event.

There is an slight problem with translation I think. "Level of recent activity" does not mean amount of time you recently played...it means the Level of the activity triggering the skill gain..

Automatically

What does this mean? Do you get random skill bonuses just by doing nothing? Independant of the current action? And if so what skill would be bonused if so? Random or related to what you are currently doing?

Duration

When did a bonus have a duration? All the bonuses I know of do not have a duration, they just happen.

Strength

Same here, a skill bonus has never before had a strength. Just a skill bonus or not. Are we getting some sort of strength weighted skill bonus?

Recent activity

This could mean time units/(day/week/month) or peds spent/time unit or both.

Seems pretty obvious to me? :dunno:

Automatically = They start by themselves, you don't have to push a button or speak to an NPC or anything to activate it.

Duration = How long the bonus lasts after it has first activated

Strength = How big the bonus is

Recent activity = How active you have been, which affects the Duration and Strength

Like if you play for 10 hours one day you may get +10% in X for 3 hours...
If you play for 15 hours one day you get +15% in X for 5 hours? Something like that...

i reallllllly hope the bonus % skill gains are not given for "not playing", thats just encourages players to go on break more often..

im hoping its the opposite indeed :D higher % skill gains given to those who cycle more, the ones who decay more not those who dont cycle, not making MA any money at all..

Automatically

Duration

Strength

You have never heard of the 2x and 3x skill events? Search around on forum. Seems that part is now getting automated.

You have never heard of the 2x and 3x skill events? Search around on forum. Seems that part is now getting automated.

Nope, im just running around with my finder getting lesser and lesser skills :).

Could be a strategy to get those who are playing to be more active, to get higher and stronger skill bonuses.

Is this a skills system implemented in any other MMO?
Some sort of dynamic activity rewarding system?

That sounds plausible, although my built-in string comparison function says that 'skill improvement bonus' != 'skill bonus'.

That sounds plausible, although my built-in string comparison function says that 'skill improvement bonus' != 'skill bonus'.

no "improvement" in the thing we are discussing.

no "improvement" in the thing we are discussing.

That's what I'm pointing to - those were 2x and 3x skill gain events but there's no 'gain', 'improvement' or whatever in this one, it states plainly 'skill bonus'... although it might be just careless writing.

I can think of one with mostly positive effects... hitting above x kg of loot in one go could give you a temporary strength buff to take it to the storage; people would worry less about their carry capacity and keep on shooting or dropping.

This in combination with the extended SIB from Weapons you maxxed stats for a "few more levels" might really boost us into a new definition of what is "medicore skilled" in a year or two :D That might result in a greater demand of highend guns, raising the MU on profession level 70++ guns and preserve economic superiority of UL highend guns.

If i had a few ten thousand peds to spare i would start buying all this über L guns for 104% and store them for later reselling

However in my opinion the only reason entropia still lives is because its so freaking hard to advance after reaching a certain profession level.

MA internal work name : Hamster bonuses

Hamsters are nothing to joke about!

sound sto me like a system where the more active you are the better the reward is. say spending 500 ped a hour 1Xskill, 1k ped a hour 2X, and so on kinda like a killing spree in some games more you get bigger the reward.

Hamsters are nothing to joke about!

sound sto me like a system where the more active you are the better the reward is. say spending 500 ped a hour 1Xskill, 1k ped a hour 2X, and so on kinda like a killing spree in some games more you get bigger the reward.

You got that right! Just ask Richard Gere...no...wait...that was a gerbil..

never mind.

Well it is obvious to me what it means. Certain activities in game will trigger skill gain periods, and those periods vary in length according to the level of difficulty of the triggering event.

There is an slight problem with translation I think. "Level of recent activity" does not mean amount of time you recently played...it means the Level of the activity triggering the skill gain..
That would make much more sense. I hope you're right.

It seems people are reading the word "Gain" between "Skill" and "Bonus". I don't see it there.

It sounds more like if you do a bunch of healing your anatomy could be boosted by x (points or percent) for a couple minutes.

I could be wrong. :laugh:

It seems people are reading the word "Gain" between "Skill" and "Bonus". I don't see it there.

It sounds more like if you do a bunch of healing your anatomy could be boosted by x (points or percent) for a couple minutes.

This is how I read it.. :)

From ark forum
attachment.php

http://arkadiaforum.com/showthread.php?9276-earned-skill-boost

i just got it for 28% for 5 min :D

This looks like a device to get people to keep shooting for another 5 minutes instead of logging off.

e.g. you've just had bad loot for an hour, spent all your ammo, so MA give you a skill bonus to get you to re-arm, and lose another 5 minutes worth of Ped.

Or maybe Loot is turned down (further) for the bonus period?

So it needs to be proved if this bonus is frequent, random, with no effect on other gameplay, before it can be considered 'awesome'.

Last edited:

I was reading it literally, and I was wrong, too. :S

This was not big deal but, dear MA, writing announcements requires attention to detail, too.

Back