List of mobs that are impossible/frustrating to hunt with new hit box

Status

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
I think it will help the developers, and illustrate the extent of the hit box problem, if we can make a list of the mobs that still have problems with the new hit box. What I'm talking about are mobs that are extremely difficult to target due to excessive movement, or which go out of target for some reason even when you're clearly pointing your weapon directly at them.

Those of you who think this "realistic" change is beneficial, don't bother posting, your foolish opinion is not required here.

In some cases the mobs can be hunted using the Move to Target option, but not in free aim mode. In these cases the mobs can be still considered broken. In other cases using auto-aim is equally problematic, or worse. There seems to be general problem with auto-aim not working very well.

Here's the list:

• Aetherex: constantly move out of target
  • Ambulimax: auto-aim doesn't work because of mob movement
  • Argonaut: go out of target when performing their swinging arm attack, even with weapon pointed directly at them.
  • Berycled: move out of target when attacking
  • Combibo
  • Daikiba: move out of target when attacking
  • Droka: shots missed when mob performs attack animation
  • Drone: shots missed when mob performs attack animation
  • Formidon: can only hit spot near hind legs
  • Foul: move out of target due to bouncing and when swinging arms in attack
  • Fungoid: almost impossible to hit when moving due to jumping movement
  • Gokibusagi: extremely hard to hit in free aim mode due to jumping about
  • Grand Formidon: sometimes swing sideways, moving out of target and breaking the auto-aim lock
  • Hiryuu: up-and-down movement when attacking makes them constantly move out of target, also extremely hard to tag while they are gliding.
  • Legionnaire: Auto-aim doesn't work properly on sloping terrain
  • Malcruentor: hard to find hit box in close combat
  • Mind Reaver: attack and jumping animations makes them move out of target
  • Mulaak'f
  • Phasm
  • Plumatergus
  • Prancer: difficult to target at long range, and neck movement makes them move out of target
  • Razortooth
  • Rippersnapper
  • Second Entity
  • Snarg
  • Steel Bird: almost impossible to hit unless moving straight towards you
  • Sumima: up-and-down movement when approaching and attacking makes them constantly move out of target.
  • Tezlapod: excessive mob movement
  • Trilomite: too difficult to aim because of size of mob (flat on ground)
  • Tripudion: jumping movement makes the mob move out of target
  • Warlock: almost impossible to hit unless moving straight towards you

People are also reporting problems with PvP.

Last edited:
Fungoids
Empis Wasps
Green Dots

More to follow.

Green dots... ARRRRRR the treacherous dot!

Let's stick to Calypso/shared mobs here, for other planets I suggest someone makes a similar thread on their forum.

• Sumima: up-and-down movement when approaching and attacking makes them constantly move out of target.

I have no problems hunting those... starting with ~60m range (arso III chip) and later cryogenic VIII and Lacerating XI. Shoot and move tactic so needs a lot of acuracy on the hitbox and i think hunting them is ok.

Hunted them right after update (very small hitbox) and after the fix (a bit bigger hitbox) and i think they are ok.

Falagor
:bandit:

all mobs !

...anything flying...

grand formidon

you shoot the first time..and the second time you try to shoot it is out of your target..nice ah?:scratch2:

Second entities..

snarg and pluma

warriors didnt shoot them after patch though

Thanks guys, I've updated the list. Keep them coming please and remember to explain what the problem is if you can.

I have no problems hunting those... starting with ~60m range (arso III chip) and later cryogenic VIII and Lacerating XI. Shoot and move tactic so needs a lot of acuracy on the hitbox and i think hunting them is ok.

I think you've been hunting them at Medusa - try in the PvP zone near Oshiri where you have to pay for missed shots and you might change your mind :)

...anything flying...

That's probably true but I'm looking for details on specific mobs so please say what flying mobs you've tried. I'm guessing you haven't spent the last 3 days hunting Pupugi :)

grand formidon

you shoot the first time..and the second time you try to shoot it is out of your target..nice ah?:scratch2:

Not quite sure what you mean by that - is the problem the movement of the mob when it starts coming towards you?

warriors didnt shoot them after patch though

Not added to the list then, we only need post-patch info, but if anyone is having problems with Warrior after the patch please post.

(...)
I think you've been hunting them at Medusa - try in the PvP zone near Oshiri where you have to pay for missed shots and you might change your mind :)
(...)

Well you are right that i am hunting them at Medusa but i do not get any missed shots at all. So for me it would not make any difference?

I have "move to target when interacting" checked and i simply never get missed shots because of that.

Falagor

Drone & Droka, I miss at least 30% of shot when they do their f**king animation :scratch2:

Tezlapods... they were annoying before of course :) but can vouch for them as of yesterday. god forbid one of those damn things actually reaches you! nothing but flailing around! ill check some other mobs.

I find allophyl annoying to hunt. Pulling out the health bar using auto use tool on them often results in seize fire since the avatar cant get the mob in target. This happens when the mob has reached me. A sidestep left or right usually helps or jumping. Still its annoying.
In first person its not that bad, but for 3rd person hunting its annoying and also the mob regens (besides the point...I know):mad:

Updated again, thanks all.

I have "move to target when interacting" checked and i simply never get missed shots because of that.

I'll try that myself at some point, but it's not an acceptable solution imo. Options are there to allow us to choose how we control and/or view the game. They should not be determining what we can or can not hunt. If there was a mob which was unhuntable for people who had disabled the loot window, everyone would rightly think that was ridiculous, and this is the same principle in effect.

(...)
I'll try that myself at some point, but it's not an acceptable solution imo. Options are there to allow us to choose how we control and/or view the game. They should not be determining what we can or can not hunt. If there was a mob which was unhuntable for people who had disabled the loot window, everyone would rightly think that was ridiculous, and this is the same principle in effect.

This i fully agree ;).

@edit:
(also i am in first person when hunting sumimas and "helping" manually a little this "auto move to target" - it is becasue of the shoot and run tactic - so you should try this too ;)).

@edit2:
in general i think that:

• when hunting with "move to target" OFF - it is most fun way of hunting yet with many cases some shoots will miss no matter what (unless your shooting really big mobs). So using only ths method will criple your hunting experience in about 0-50% depending on mob size.
  • when hunting with "move to target" ON and letting the mechanism work for itself - it will in most cases not work 100% good. For example you avatar will not shoot at full possible range in most cases. Often it will post msg that "moving to target failed" and stops auto use on tool. So using only this method will criple your hunting experience in about 10-20%
  • when hutning with "move to target" ON and helping manually is so far best way of hunting. For this it is adviced to be in first person mode becasue it is way easier to aim with your crosshair than with just center of your screen (which is also possible in 3rd person mode but much harder espetially at full zoom out). When done right you will keep criple level at 0-5%.

@edit 3:
solution to this problem:
MA should fix the targeting system. Now the targeting system has "refresh" rate of like 1 or 2 sec. I mean the calculation of "line of sight" from curent player position+turn vs mob/hitbox possition is done like every 1-2 sec. If it was done more often like every 1/10 sec the corection would be done imidietly.

Falagor

Last edited:
Mulak'f and guess same for muluk-hir! Since it PVP you have to pay for the miss shots aswell...

Please add Combibos to the list!

Updated again.

Mulak'f and guess same for muluk-hir! Since it PVP you have to pay for the miss shots aswell...

Don't guess :) If you've tried Muluk-Hir and they're problematic, let us know.

Formidon you can add to the list, I have done a full hunt on Formidon this tuesday.

Their hitbox is located between the hind legs and is rather small.
To target them from the side, you have to aim at this part.
Quite annoying, as most of the body will not give you a target.

Updated.

VU14.3.1 supposedly fixed some more hit boxes, so please post if you can confirm that any of these mobs are now fixed, or if you can confirm they are not. Anything unchecked since 14.3.1 is now marked with a * in the list.

Sumima are not fixed.

Morothead Kings, when they swing at me I miss every shot/loose the hit box.

Foul

When they run towards you, they bounce up and down causing you to miss their hit box even though you have cross-hair aimed at center mass. This is in first person, move to target off. Also their swinging arm attack animation causes misses at point blank range like argos.

Well you are right that i am hunting them at Medusa but i do not get any missed shots at all. So for me it would not make any difference?

Falagor

Even with this checked, I have missed shots due to angle problems with Kingfishers..
But hey everything is fixed as far as they're concerned..
Think I need to go on a long break :mad:

Have no problems with prancers and argos, but snargs really suck big time. I have to sync my jumps with fire to hit them at all :D

Status
Back