Decay information in item description?

Falagor

Stalker
Society
NBK Rangers
Falagor Falagor Frostmaster
I would like to ask Dev team if there is chance we will have exact decay information in item description on all (or at least most) items?

Why this is necesery information:
  • there is no chance of knowing decay before testing it. And obviously it is not possible to test decay before buying the item. This leads to situation where players often buy not fully known product (which is obviously bad situation).
  • people often rely on information found on wiki sites (i.e. entropiawiki.com). Since there is no way to verify informations regarding decay there other than testing by yourself - this yelds oportunities to manipulate true value of items (by putting false information on those sites).
  • with this information players could actually fill corect info on wiki sites easily without really annoying and troublesome decay tests.

Only downside of puting decay information in item description:
  • players who actually like "mystery" factor could feel dissapointed.

Please also notice that MA actually already gives inforamtion on decay on some items in public official places: info on decay on Hedoc Mayhem and Arsonistic III TEN chip were visible in client loader news. So i do not understand why this information can't be given to players in simple and accessible form of puting this in item description.

Please - any Dev team memeber answer what are the plans in this case.

Thank you in advance.

Falagor
:bandit:

Yeah, will be a good idea ..I think, but then again we will win/loose the advantage when someone does a bad decay test and puts that in Entropedia, thus making an item more /less desired

There are some wrong decays filled in Entropedia, some I've checked miself

+rep to OP

I said some time ago, is expected from MA to have an official site with all items in game and their stats, including decay. Something like Diablo used to have. Maybe then somebody will realize that addition on new items got out of hand, when they will try to put all in order.

After all everything is costing real money, and relying on a voluntary project where everyone can modify stats (at least until is detected) even to push an item MU up is not right.

They can even make the site and let select players fill the information. Pay the said players for the effort or even better - give them an area to test the data for free, I"m sure many will volunteer.

I understand that this thread was moved from Dev Team to Wishlist because of this rule:
Post suggestions (or suggestions disguised as questions) for new features or changes to existing features/game systems. Such threads belong in the Suggestions/Wishlist forum.
Please notice that there are threads (just recent on first page) and they were not moved:

• asking when we will have melee amps: <click>
  • asking when we will have mail msg system: <click>

I do not have anything against those threads or people posting them - however i feel that decision about moving my thread was little unjustified. To me it seems that those threads have same expression level as mine thread...

Reason why i posted in Dev subforum was:
i am looking for an answer from Dev team if they even have plans about this case.
And to me it seems that Dev subforum is checked by Dev team much more often than Wishlist subforum.

I expect at least information from moderator who moved this why mine thread was moved and mentioned threads were not...

Falagor

Kim announced in May 2013 that melee amps are being worked on.

The offline messaging system was announced in Developer Notes #7.

Both have passed beyond suggestions to active development, and asking for expected implementation dates is a question that the dev's can reasonably be expected to be able to answer.

On the other hand, what you're proposing is a suggestion or wish for a change that has not been announced, which is why your thread was moved to the appropriate forum.
Please note the Dev's Corner Forum Guidelines posted by 711:
Do Not: ..
Post suggestions (or suggestions disguised as questions) for new features or changes to existing features/game systems. Such threads belong in the Suggestions/Wishlist forum.

Kim announced in May 2013 that melee amps are being worked on.

The offline messaging system was announced in Developer Notes #7.

Both have passed beyond suggestions to active development, and asking for expected implementation dates is a question that the dev's can reasonably be expected to be able to answer.

On the other hand, what you're proposing is a suggestion or wish for a change that has not been announced, which is why your thread was moved to the appropriate forum.
Please note the Dev's Corner Forum Guidelines posted by 711:

First of all: thank you very much for answer and explanation :).

For my defense (and for hope that it will be moved back to Dev subforum) here is link to Dev notes 3 (link: <click>) that mention this:
(...)
The MindArk development team is also considering including more detailed economy statistics on the item information panel in an upcoming release to improve the availability of such information.
(...)

Of course it is just one sentence but it was already discussed before and after those dev notes thats why i have asked Devs about their plans about this case.

Falagor

"Considering" is 'someone suggested it and we're thinking about it' - which really isn't the same as (wtte) 'look here's a pic of what we're working on and we're going to release it pretty soon', now is it?

I'm sure you're more than aware that threads don't have to be in the Dev's Corner for them to notice them. (I suspect someone from MA reads the Suggestions forum pretty regularly, as we do see things being implemented from there... though it can take some time for it to reach the top of their priority list at times.)

Yeah, one step closer to replacing mobs with static boxes, to make things "easier" :)

You guys totally miss one little point.

It's a common wisdom that to attain any success in this game one needs to play against other people, not against the house. But since technically we all are under the same conditions, there is only one field where one may try to excel - knowledge. So basically it's a competition between awareness and ignorance.

Take eco, for instance. Not so long ago there were 2 strong camps. Some believed in eco and followed that path, others didn't care either because of their ignorance or believing that the system "owes" them anyway or simply thinking that "counting pennies" isn't fun. Obviously those who were hunting non-eco were leaving more peds in the lootpool for the same results - to the advantage of "ecofags". But hey, they had their fun, ok?

Then MA stepped in and praised eco in the dev notes and literally everyone jumped on the eco bandwagon. Not much fun when you're explicitly told that your way is wrong. So... universal equality, right? Quite. "Being eco" now means "not losing more than others", not "winning more than others" - unequal prosperity turned into equal poverty. Communism, baby!

It may sound selfish and cynical but that's how the game works. One thing is to spread knowledge among your friends, socmates, disciples and the other is to feed it to those who don't even care to think themselves. There is no need to turn your head on anymore, EL will tell you what to hunt and Entropedia - what to use, so those who really want to use their heads have very little advantage left. "Awareness vs ignorance" turns into a fight between sizes of pedcards.

P.S. All the above comes from someone who adds to entropedia an every little bit of data he comes into possession of and spends a good part of his online time helping random new people, so I'm not a complete asshole :D I just don't like this trend of knowledge devaluation.

I just don't like this trend of knowledge devaluation.

Sorry while I found so many of your posts amusing and/or informative, I cannot agree with you on this one.

Decay info on items is as valid as damage or ammo consumption info. What exactly do you want, to have just a heap of items with no public stats at all, and buying them blindly, test them on our expense or, as you say, try to pry the information from people in game?

There are plenty of fields were knowledge is valuable (materials in demand, loot from mobs, regions and so on), items stats should not be one of them. People lazy or not caring to check entropia info (where data can be faked) will behave the same even with decay data on the info page.

I would be more worried about auto-hunt options or auto-loot or anything like that.

Edit: and we are talking about decay info, not dmg/pec. Everyone is free to calculate their own cost based on skill and such, just the official cost of shooting the gun once is needed.

P.S. Friendly disclaimer: please refrain mentioning political ideologies - regardless of their kill count- on this forum, it seems (some) moderators have an allergy to this and will defend Satan himself, being afraid of not offending someone. Then they will !!!! the threads deleting comments bringing it to an unrecognizable form, see the recent Toulan thread.

Last edited:
Decay is already in the stat page, just in a completely useless form (durability average, above average, etc) that only serves to confuse newbies. It should be replaced by the actual number (.01000 pec per use). I second the finding that decay figures on entropedia are sometimes altered maliciously to promote certain items above others. Often they're entered incorrectly just out of miscalculations or typos. Few people double check these numbers.

Yeah, one step closer to replacing mobs with static boxes, to make things "easier" :)

You guys totally miss one little point.

It's a common wisdom that to attain any success in this game one needs to play against other people, not against the house. But since technically we all are under the same conditions, there is only one field where one may try to excel - knowledge. So basically it's a competition between awareness and ignorance.

Take eco, for instance. Not so long ago there were 2 strong camps. Some believed in eco and followed that path, others didn't care either because of their ignorance or believing that the system "owes" them anyway or simply thinking that "counting pennies" isn't fun. Obviously those who were hunting non-eco were leaving more peds in the lootpool for the same results - to the advantage of "ecofags". But hey, they had their fun, ok?

Then MA stepped in and praised eco in the dev notes and literally everyone jumped on the eco bandwagon. Not much fun when you're explicitly told that your way is wrong. So... universal equality, right? Quite. "Being eco" now means "not losing more than others", not "winning more than others" - unequal prosperity turned into equal poverty. Communism, baby!

It may sound selfish and cynical but that's how the game works. One thing is to spread knowledge among your friends, socmates, disciples and the other is to feed it to those who don't even care to think themselves. There is no need to turn your head on anymore, EL will tell you what to hunt and Entropedia - what to use, so those who really want to use their heads have very little advantage left. "Awareness vs ignorance" turns into a fight between sizes of pedcards.

P.S. All the above comes from someone who adds to entropedia an every little bit of data he comes into possession of and spends a good part of his online time helping random new people, so I'm not a complete asshole :D I just don't like this trend of knowledge devaluation.

I only ask for exact decay information - nothing more. With all you have wrote it sounds that you would like to see the game like this:
items have no description at all (except mayby name so you would know at least what your using)... no amo spent... no range... no uses per minute. Obviously you can test everything out by yourself!

And i can't agree with you espetially about the bolded part at all. Comunism has nothing in common with ease of aquiring common knowledge!
@edit
analogy to comunism would be: everyone is in global "casual" team settings.
@end.edit

If you really want comparsion then you have one:
  • all common information is avaible to everyone and they can discover new things on their own - enlightment
  • only few "chosen ones" keep as much knowledge for themselves and try to keep it in secret - dark ages (middle ages)

Falagor

With all you have wrote it sounds that you would like to see the game like this:
items have no description at all (except mayby name so you would know at least what your using)... no amo spent... no range... no uses per minute. Obviously you can test everything out by yourself!

Incidentally... yes. In a sandbox game everything that can be tested player-side should be tested, not served on a plate. Somehow people lived with that - no uses per minute, no hit ability, even different types of damage aren't summarized - and survived and even developed a nostalgia for the times.

In the end, it all depends on what you want from the game. If all you do is chasing those illusive hofs and profits, then indeed all this research part is just a boring delay between grinding sessions. But don't you ever miss your early days in game, totally lost and only the Great Unknown and countless discoveries ahead? :)

Incidentally... yes. In a sandbox game everything that can be tested player-side should be tested, not served on a plate. Somehow people lived with that - no uses per minute, no hit ability, even different types of damage aren't summarized - and survived and even developed a nostalgia for the times.

In the end, it all depends on what you want from the game. If all you do is chasing those illusive hofs and profits, then indeed all this research part is just a boring delay between grinding sessions. But don't you ever miss your early days in game, totally lost and only the Great Unknown and countless discoveries ahead? :)

I remember the time stats were like that. i wish they still were, too much info on a platter these days.

p.s.: Im not saying they SHOULD be like that, just that my preference would have been to have it still be that way.

From what I heard, Witte, the creator of Entropedia.info is not around anymore. I hope this is not true, because several areas of Entropedia are not working correctly for me. It may be entirely possible that Entropedia will atrophy and decay if the code working behind the scenes is no longer maintained.

That being said, I would very much like to have decay info listed along side ammo/damage/range/attacks per minute/etc.

:beerchug:

Back