Player loots $33000 in one hunt on Planet Calypso - Gamasutra

ie, imagine the article like
"dude loots 30 000$ of a mob in EU, but about 1000 people lost about 1000$ this year alone"
plain figures, yet a different view

Good point

Its just not right to use for marketing only one side of the story. If you plan to say that someone looted a 33k usd mob then be honest and say how many ppl lost and their amounts.

Its missleading and not cool.

This someone who might that be?

It's doubtful anyone knows or understands how loot works apart from MA. Perhaps they should explain in detail how it all works. Perhaps then players with an open mind will be able to see and understand it all...

There are a few who actually has figured it out or parts of it, me included. I don't want to say i know everything but i do know how the system basically works, not the exact numbers because that doesn't really matter. What one needs to know is where to be at what time, and preferably also what weapon/armor combo to use for that particular mob you will be hunting. And also some other things.

The thing is even if MA decided to tell everyone how it worked it wouldn't really matter that much because it would only improve your chances by a small chance to break even or profit. Unless they tell us everything but i doubt that would ever happen but some people know some of the clues that are in plain sight at least, but still that doesn't make it sure you will go +.

And also, the system is quite darn simple in terms of how it works, not in actuall coding and such though i guess it just looks darn random but it sure aint.

Wait a sec, are we talking about skill gains?

Not only that, there is more to it than just skillgains. What i can tell you is that that uber happened exactly where it was supposed to happen at that time :)

Good point

Its just not right to use for marketing only one side of the story. If you plan to say that someone looted a 33k usd mob then be honest and say how many ppl lost and their amounts.

Ehmm... That's how advertizing works. :scratch2:

But I suppose it'd be funny if McD, Coke, Pepsi etc started listing all the bad things about their products. :laugh:

Not only that, there is more to it than just skillgains. What i can tell you is that that uber happened exactly where it was supposed to happen at that time :)

The trick is to grind the spot endless hours with terrible return in hope for a big one, that will cover some of your losses ;), while watching everyone else near you global/hof.

Then that moment comes, you're out of ammo and have to refill+repair, while teleporting you see a green dot arrive and fly over you towards your spot.

You just sit there and pray s/he wont hit big, hope you make back at the spot before it happens, but you never do.

Thats atleast how 17k+ mulmun, 50k+ prot and mulmun 330k+ etc happens.

Risk you have to take when you gamble in entropia universe!

True story :wise:

The trick is to grind the spot endless hours with terrible return in hope for a big one, that will cover some of your losses ;), while watching everyone else near you global/hof.

Then that moment comes, you're out of ammo and have to refill+repair, while teleporting you see a green dot arrive and fly over you towards your spot.

You just sit there and pray s/he wont hit big, hope you make back at the spot before it happens, but you never do.

Thats atleast how 17k+ mulmun, 50k+ prot and mulmun 330k+ etc happens.

Risk you have to take when you gamble in entropia universe!

True story :wise:

Yep, if you grind an area for 24 hours you will have hit the sweetspot at least once, however you can still miss to kill the right mob, or not be hunting the right mob. But yep as you say, leave the area for a short while and you might miss it. That's why i ALWAYS hunt in the same spot for at least one hour straight and preferably 1½ hour.

Yep, if you grind an area for 24 hours you will have hit the sweetspot at least once, however you can still miss to kill the right mob, or not be hunting the right mob. But yep as you say, leave the area for a short while and you might miss it. That's why i ALWAYS hunt in the same spot for at least one hour straight and preferably 1½ hour.

My personal opinion and experience.

Arriving right is the trick. Often in the first couple mobs. Find it very hard to grind a uber nowadays, if it comes you often paid 2-3x+ to reach it.

Example your down 300peds from a rex hunt, you look at troxes, havent been a global for a while, you jump there BAM 200ped G first mob.

It is absolutely incredible to me that a person would continue participating in a game wherein they sincerely believe the #1 ATH in history is rigged. Just amazing.

In case you did not noticed, Real Life is rigged too. This would not stop me from participating to it.

Maybe you being from Chicago, the international capital of hand-outs and corruption (I want to make clear that I do not imply you personally receive something for free at all, you might very well be a very hard working person looking for an enjoyable entertainment inside EU, but the whole city consume FAR more than it produce - check its debt) cannot see it, but it is. Life is rigged especially in the "civilized" countries, where parts of populations enjoy a free ride while others do not receive 1 cent (not that they should, but they are forced to pay way more than needed)

Honestly, did you read the article which is the subject of this thread, and liked it? Does it gives you the impression that a new player, looking at the game for the first time, is getting the right idea? Did you saw the comments player made after reading the article, and made an estimation about the impact?

Do you find normal, that in the midst of pandemic disconnects and hitbox misses, MA is :makelove: around?

I will not post on this matter anymore and I want to thank to all who +rep me, I was delighted to see some of the well established players agreeing with me. May you have good loot in these times of need :)

Good point

Wow, this might be one of the most unrealistic, ignorant whine comments to ever grace this forum. (Or the best troll post ever). Congratulations.

Seriously? You really believe what you just wrote?

How often have you read a news article like this?
"In the news today, 31 NFL teams lost the Superbowl"

Credibility factor: Zero.
Length: Forever.

And you too, George, EMW, Menace and the rest of you. Why don't you all admit that you are just whining because you didn't get this loot?

If Stryker or Mercury had looted this, folks would complain that only uber get the good loot. MA can't win.

There's not a single player that you all could agree on that would "deserve" such a big loot. And if you could name a name, you'd have to explain to the other players why they could never get an ATH according to your (magically better than MA's) loot system.

Either anyone can get lucky, or noone can. You don't to have it both ways.

Wow, this might be one of the most unrealistic, ignorant whine comments to ever grace this forum. (Or the best troll post ever). Congratulations.

And you too, George, EMW, Menace and the rest of you. Why don't you all admit that you are just whining because you didn't get this loot?

If Stryker or Mercury had looted this, folks would complain that only uber get the good loot. MA can't win.

There's not a single player that you all could agree on that would "deserve" such a big loot. And if you could name a name, you'd have to explain to the other players why they could never get an ATH according to your (magically better than MA's) loot system.

I think I made my points, if you wonna disagree with those.. feel free to do it in detail instead of just calling me a whiner! (personal insults are against the forum rules :p)

(personal insults are against the forum rules :p)

But disagreeing is not. I didn't call anyone a whiner. I said you and others were whining. And I explained why I think this.

I don't (usually) call folks names. But I do discuss their actions, both good and bad.

To be honest, StefanT's was so mind boggling to me, I had to rewrite my comments twice to remove any name calling.

(Personal note to das: I was going to reply to your rep comment via PM but never got around to it. I shall do so now.)

(Personal note to das: I was going to reply to your rep comment via PM but never got around to it. I shall do so now.)

just got back from a party & i'm a bit drunk but i do mean what I say..
if you rread my post then you'll see that i said a 330k loot from this mob is wrong.
A lot of harder mobs ingame been hunted w/o such multiplier.
& i'm sure more big dasp for example been killed over the years

k, just for john i'll try to make it more clear right now.
Do I have a problem with hthis ava getting such multiplier, NO
Do I have a problem with this player/gear/skills getting such multiplier from THIS mob, YES
Now my drunk ass goes to bed, nn all :D

A lot of harder mobs ingame been hunted w/o such multiplier.
& i'm sure more big dasp for example been killed over the years

I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

My problem is the years of folks complaining when someone else gets something good.

Pham got 2 ATHs in one day. Folks complained only the ubers get paid.
Low lever player (Naithen) finds the eggs and gets PAID. Folks complained.
3 day old n00b hits a mining tower. Folks complained.
Heaven help when a Warrant got good loot. Pichfork sellers ran out of inventory.

Someone new wins. Complaints.
Someone uber wins. Complaints.
Someone middle level. They're either too n00b or too close to uber.

For whatever reason, this guy it the big one. Gratz to him. Nothing else should be said. Certainly not 3 maxed pages of how "it's not fair" again.

But disagreeing is not. I didn't call anyone a whiner. I said you and others were whining. And I explained why I think this.

I don't (usually) call folks names. But I do discuss their actions, both good and bad.

To be honest, StefanT's was so mind boggling to me, I had to rewrite my comments twice to remove any name calling.

Jesus H. Capital ... turn your Mod/Personal opinion identifiers on please, because I can't tell who's posting. The following comment is based on the assumption that your posts about the whiners were as JC (personal opinion poster), not JC the Mod ...

My dear friend, you're playing with words now, and let me explain why I think that ...

(you deserve this, so give me props where props are due): :nana:

To continue ... because "technically" (which you always seem to make a point of being - technical that is), placing someone in a category that is descriptive of being considered whining, it's a no-brainer that they are now labeled a whiner - I've carried that label at times, but when I explain that it is my perspective, my opinion, my what-the-f*k-ever, it's not accepted by some as "disagreeing" but rather attacking MA.

Recently, someone very close to me was tempted to quit as a result of MA's lack of attention to the ship summoning disaster (actually, quite a few people shared their opinions about this with me, and offered their stories for me to write about and publish at MSM if it wasn't sorted quickly).

I'll explain why I shared the above so there's no misunderstanding with the words ... IMO, players = MA's greatest asset, many depositing huge sums of money into EU, and therefore, are entitled to express an opinion based on their experiences and how they understand game mechanics ... whether others agree or disagree ... and should not automatically be labeled "whiners" ... even though some may be a little rough around the edges at times with how they express themselves ... some use sarcasm, some use dry humor, and some just tell it how they see or experience it in their own words ... this is a globally-diverse community don't forget, and English is not everyone's first or primary language.

Also, am curious about something ... you live in Las Vegas ... do they post betting odds for the gamblers, or does only the house know the system ... and ... how many people there whine on a daily basis because of losing money, or not getting the big jackpot? :tongue2:

If you delete the above inquiry, it will mean that you did so because of the reference to gambling, which has been made at this forum over and over again when it comes to EU, no matter what MA says, and ... if you DO delete the comment, or any comments, for being off-topic, then you best moderate your own posts for citing RL references.

Love ya long time JC, but sometimes you give me reason to pause ... that's it. :)

Oh, except ... it's human nature that people find it difficult at times to be happy for others when they get lucky ... especially in an RCE ... sometimes, players absolutely have something to vent about, and many have been in this game long enough to understand why.

Hope all is well with you. :thumbup:

Sorry for the line-by line replies. Too much to say at once that could get confused if I don't.

Jesus H. Capital ... turn your Mod/Personal opinion identifiers on please, because I can't tell who's posting.

Generally, I've only used the --mod comment-- move when I speak as both a mod and player in the same post. On my post that have nothing to do with modding, I've never had to use that.

My dear friend, you're playing with words now, and let me explain why I think that ...
No, I was accused of calling names when I was simply disagreeing with people, so I tried to correct them. I may have explained it badly, but you (as a former mod yourself) can't possibly say the post das referenced was name calling.

...now labeled a whiner - I've carried that label at times,
By others, perhaps, but I don't recall a time when I've personally called you a whiner.

As for the space summoning issue, and other cases you site, you know I got no problem telling MA when I think they are making mistakes. Hell, maybe 1/3 of my own threads are "MA screwed up. Here's my explanation of the issue".

But what I've never done (that I can recall) is ever get upset because someone else legitimately got loot that I didn't. I've cursed my own timing. I've talked down to cheaters for cheating. But I've never said "That person doesn't deserve that loot, or shouldn't have got it because...."

I agree MA should be handling those issues and treating their player base better.

I do NOT agree that someone getting an ATH is a problem.

Also, am curious about something ... you live in Las Vegas ... do they post betting odds for the gamblers, or does only the house know the system
Depends on the game.

... and ... how many people there whine on a daily basis because of losing money, or not getting the big jackpot? :tongue2:
And I don't like it there either.

Or, are you saying that since lots of folks do it, I should not (as a player who disagrees with their opinions) be allowed to speak my thoughts in opposition?

They had their say. I'm having mine. Please note I've only modded name calling and other legit rule breaking. As always. :)

But hinting that I use my mod powers to unjustly silence people I'm debating with is uncalled for. Unless you have examples of me actually doing that, I await for your apology.

EDIT: These complaints are just about this ATH and you know it. You've been around as long as I have (1 year longer actually, IIRC) and you know these fights reoccur almost every good loot.

And I ALWAYS end up on the "stop complaining that someone else got good loot" position. So nothing's changed. And it's that exact repetitiveness that leads validity to my claim. It doesn't matter who got the loot. Folks will complain. And IMO they shouldn't.

So if i am following correctly, i need to go buy a DOA? (totally kidding) Good job on the global buddy, way to hang in there through a rough fight.

Sorry for the line-by line replies. Too much to say at once that could get confused if I don't.

Generally, I've only used the --mod comment-- move when I speak as both a mod and player in the same post. On my post that have nothing to do with modding, I've never had to use that.

No, I was accused of calling names when I was simply disagreeing with people, so I tried to correct them. I may have explained it badly, but you (as a former mod yourself) can't possibly say the post das referenced was name calling.

By others, perhaps, but I don't recall a time when I've personally called you a whiner.

As for the space summoning issue, and other cases you site, you know I got no problem telling MA when I think they are making mistakes. Hell, maybe 1/3 of my own threads are "MA screwed up. Here's my explanation of the issue".

But what I've never done (that I can recall) is ever get upset because someone else legitimately got loot that I didn't. I've cursed my own timing. I've talked down to cheaters for cheating. But I've never said "That person doesn't deserve that loot, or shouldn't have got it because...."

I agree MA should be handling those issues and treating their player base better.

I do NOT agree that someone getting an ATH is a problem.

Depends on the game.

And I don't like it there either.

Or, are you saying that since lots of folks do it, I should not (as a player who disagrees with their opinions) be allowed to speak my thoughts in opposition?

They had their say. I'm having mine. Please note I've only modded name calling and other legit rule breaking. As always. :)

But hinting that I use my mod powers to unjustly silence people I'm debating with is uncalled for. Unless you have examples of me actually doing that, I await for your apology.

EDIT: These complaints are just about this ATH and you know it. You've been around as long as I have (1 year longer actually, IIRC) and you know these fights reoccur almost every good loot.

And I ALWAYS end up on the "stop complaining that someone else got good loot" position. So nothing's changed. And it's that exact repetitiveness that leads validity to my claim. It doesn't matter who got the loot. Folks will complain. And IMO they shouldn't.

So ... we can agree to disagree on some things like we've always done, and I sure hope you aren't holding your breath for an apology my friend, I have no reason to give you one, because I wasn't intimating anything, other than you placed a few people in a category (whining), and therefore, they take on the label as whiner - that's it - my opinion, because for me, it makes sense. :)

The reason I said that you should identify Mod/Personal posts, was so I wouldn't get mine deleted for disagreeing with a Mod's decision about something - that's still a rule, yes? That's why I posted as I did, because it looked like personal opinion rather than making a Mod decision about something - it's all good.

You've always said what's on your mind, as have I, and we both have a right to do so, but sometimes, I'm a bit more careful at this forum for reasons I don't have to bullet-point. Yes, I was a Mod at this forum from the beginning of 2006 until Valentine's Day 2007 when I resigned, so I know what it's like, and it's not easy. I'm just saying that wording can be a tricky thing, and inspires specific responses as a result - I know something about that too. :laugh:

I was never negative toward anyone who got an ATH ... hell, I got my own 81+K in April 2008, but that aside, everyone perhaps has their own ideas about how the system works, there are a lot of knowledgeable players in our universe, and some amaze me with their figuring things out skills. No one is right about everything, and I'll leave it at that.

Now go read your PM and smile ... it increases your face value. :)

The reason I said that you should identify Mod/Personal posts, was so I wouldn't get mine deleted for disagreeing with a Mod's decision about something - that's still a rule, yes?

You're thinking of rule 2.14 - Administrator/Moderator Criticism. Meant for dealing with folks overly bitching about getting modded in the first place. It's not for people who simply disagree with another players opinion who happens to be a mod. Guess you simply misremembered that. :)

I was never negative toward anyone who got an ATH
Then we have no problem in this. :) (Which makes me wonder why you jumped in, to be honest.)

You're thinking of rule 2.14 - Administrator/Moderator Criticism. Meant for dealing with folks overly bitching about getting modded in the first place. It's not for people who simply disagree with another players opinion who happens to be a mod. Guess you simply misremembered that. :)

Then we have no problem in this. :) (Which makes me wonder why you jumped in, to be honest.)

Handled very well i might say John, + rep for sure, not that you need it, your already a mod :yay:

Gz on the 330k ATH mate, nice one.

If i got this 330k ATH i would commission MA to create me a Bath full of peds that i could put down in Twins without anyone being able to pick it up and just bathe in it and tell you all to take a hike, no one likes poor people move along you all smell, here have a ped now go away your blocking my tanning session.

but i didn't so i can't... yet.

Although by the time MA actually made the bath and put it into the game then updated it due to bath bugs i wouldn't have any peds left to bathe in.

One of these days it will all become clear.

Happy Hof'ing :)

I am happy for the guy and thats not even the point of my post here.

Why don't you all admit that you are just whining because you didn't get this loot?
I never even hunted this mob so I can't be whining because of loot. Please be carefull, you are confusing things here.

Point was:

If people hear a story how someone got lucky in EU, they should also hear the story of people losing way more.

IQ: 60
Length: Untill some pills are invented to increase it

Last edited:
If people hear a story how someone got lucky in EU, they should also hear the story of people losing way more.
Yes but not in the same article.
If you desperately want people to know how much EU players suffers, just try to get a scope with Fox where you claim you sold your kidney to continue hunting leviathans.

I never even hunted this mob so I can't be whining because of loot. Please be carefull, you are confusing things here.

That little fact hasn't bothered to stop others from complaining.

Point was:

OK, so from now on, according to you, in global chat, it should say "players lost 67 ped and it was given to StefanT."

In other RL news:
13 building contractors lost a bid for a building project
6.5 million people lost the sweepstakes
Almost every American was NOT elected president
Sales at Wendy's dropped because folks ate more at McDonald's

You still don't get it do you? Complaining that this story "Isn't telling the truth" is a lie. A story that says that someone "won" implies by basic logic that others did not win.

You completely missed the point I was making with my Superbowl example. A story that says "Team X won" implies that all the other lost.

In other words, if you understood basic logic, you'd see that MA does in fact imply exactly what you and others are asking them to do. (I.E. "Someone won, and others lost") They simply are stating it in the exact way every other company and person (including you) does it.

Think about it. Have you ever won anything? According to you, folks can't say "you won", but must say "your opponents lost".

And that's the part that really boggles my mind about all this. Folks complaining here that MA's news articles about someone winning are misleading are completely incapable of this basic logic.

And we're all supposed to be adult enough here to understand basic truths and thus have zero reason for all this complaining.

sort of offtopic but why does news bot have so much negrep? :laugh:

The thing is even if MA decided to tell everyone how it worked it wouldn't really matter that much because it would only improve your chances by a small chance to break even or profit.

Your missing the point or I didn't explain myself properly. The point is if MA tell us how it works surely then most players will stop the bitching/whining because we can then correlate what happened against what is supposed to happen.

There would then really be no real excuse for whining other than to just gratz the player who got the good loot. Sure the jealous types would find a reason to whine but the majority may appreciate what the winning player did i.e. the strategy they used and how it resulted in a win for them. They may then even truly congratulate someone i.e. without it just being a matter courtesy but actually really mean it.

Back