Player loots $33000 in one hunt on Planet Calypso - Gamasutra

We all know, that deep down JC wanted it badly, but now he just jokes around...

To be honest, I have nothing against these loots, I have already got mine, but I got to agree with everyone complaining that this is not a good business model. This Alan guy will proceed withdrawal and will not deposit ever again, that's the reason why I think RCE model doesn't need these loot after all.

Secondly, I don't think it's PR trick. This guy just was a heavy weight depositor and loot pool was able to give this multiplier on this kind of mob first time.

Last edited:
There's always the possibly of course that the $33K ATH was an accident. Of the 458 players that have gratz him, I've not seen an MA forum signature on that list (todate)

Who knows all MA eyes where on fixing the new VU which proved costly ped wise for many players in game. Maybe MA are 'now' attempting to turn a very big mistake into good PR, and that would answer why they may have not been geared up to splash the news far and wide in the first place.

Well... it makes me smile if it was an error, at least someone got paid big. :D

Rick

Its no error !!! MA has been advertising this way since .... forever! My guess they gave it to this noob because he was listed on thier chart as the highest depositor in the last year.So they see it as a good chance he will keep that ped in game and slowly loose it over time like everyone else.
And for those of you comparing this to Vegas? You need to go to Vegas so you can see Vegas is a balanced gambling experience compared to this . Winning Vegas is easy compared to this ! Scratching to survive in EU is fucking next to impossible unless you invest more.

Point is surely you 'earn' something after so much time and peds? You think the answer to that is.. No?

Rick

This makes me think of my job. I put in so much time and surely they are making money off me (or why keep me) but after 5 years I get 2 movie tickets and after 10 years a 50 gift card? Obviously a lot of businesses think as MA do?

Reactions: Mac
Point is surely you 'earn' something after so much time and peds? You think the answer to that is.. No?

No personal loot pool - so the answer is "no". If someone are losing his ass off it is his fault. Then a guy gets lucky, like only one person in 10 years got lucky - shit happens. Thoughtlessness still gets punished - just not this time. This time we have the stuff of legends. It will probably not happen within the next ten years, or maybe it will - that is whay it is called random.

No personal loot pool - so the answer is "no". If someone are losing his ass off it is his fault. Then a guy gets lucky, like only one person in 10 years got lucky - shit happens. Thoughtlessness still gets punished - just not this time. This time we have the stuff of legends. It will probably not happen within the next ten years, or maybe it will - that is whay it is called random.

I started this game because I was told time and time again it was NOT gambling (because I don't do gambling). So pushed on and on and on waiting to get rewarded with some sweet item to be proud of. An item that I could tell myself I worked so hard for and have pleasure using for more years to come. Yet you're saying the reward system is a myth, and it is gambling?

If it's gambling then your whole style of play changes, because rather than believe effort rewards, you would play say once a month, like a night out, and go all-in.

We base our play on a set of rules that are unclear......lol

So self blame for not knowing the rules....nahhh :D

Rick

dasouth said it best in his response.

and so did the last person... we are told this isn't gambling - but this result sure seems like it.
From what we know of this game, little of this loot makes senses. People said the HP of the mob makes it possible, but that is about it. We have hunted Hydras, SandKings, all those huge boss/raid mobs and get squat usually.

I can't believe it took so long for the statement to come out about it... and I'd have to say it's pretty low key
They made more "stink" about CND being sold, the egg being sold, etc. This loot is the biggest ever in 10 years, it's kind of a big deal.

I'm left feeling: :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2::confused::confused::confused:

His total hunting loot is 546 625 PED, done in 9 Months. Gives you quite an indication how much he has cycled.
Since one can not cycle that much without the skills, he surely also chipped in quite a bit.
Does not matter how long one is in the game, just how much one has put in and for me, he deserved it.
It's not a noob ATH, but no one can say that he is really experienced, he just has the money to do what he wants.
I might envy him for his credit card...but then again...really no fun buying the fun of an ATH ;D

This makes me think of my job. I put in so much time and surely they are making money off me (or why keep me) but after 5 years I get 2 movie tickets and after 10 years a 50 gift card? Obviously a lot of businesses think as MA do?

lol... after 5 years I got a company coffee mug and after 10 I got a gold colored letter opener!!!! I can only dream of the loot achieved after 15 years...

we are told this isn't gambling - but this result sure seems like it.
From what we know of this game, little of this loot makes senses. People said the HP of the mob makes it possible, but that is about it. We have hunted Hydras, SandKings, all those huge boss/raid mobs and get squat usually.

It isn't gambling for the pure fact that you need irl skill to understand how the game works, and if you do you can (although small) improve your chances of better loot. As for this uber it was smack on where a bit loot should had been at that time and date according to my system. There are a lot of other factors that play a role as well, as said in the post the equipment you use plays a part in what loot and how big it can be, your skills play a part and more. Figure those things out and you should be doing ok, otherwise like for this player it's mostly pure luck.

His total hunting loot is 546 625 PED, done in 9 Months. Gives you quite an indication how much he has cycled.
Since one can not cycle that much without the skills, he surely also chipped in quite a bit.
Does not matter how long one is in the game, just how much one has put in and for me, he deserved it.
It's not a noob ATH, but no one can say that he is really experienced, he just has the money to do what he wants.
I might envy him for his credit card...but then again...really no fun buying the fun of an ATH ;D

lvl 0 or 100, that gun uses the same amount of ammo & decay.

This reminds me a lot of counter-strike:

He does better than me, damn his luck
He does better than me, he is clearly using third party solutions
He can't do better than me, I spent years on this game!
Screw this game catering to nuubs, I'll do something where real skill is awarded

The most beautiful thing about ATHs is the insurmountable amount of crackpots appearing claiming it was all a set-up. From the cries of the enlightened few the masses will rise and overthrow the system. It is indisputable, as the winner of the price was clearly unworthy. For he was not the crackpot, and as such the whole affair is illegitimate and morally wrong.

I can't gratz the one who got that huge loot because it wasn't me.

I know I'm playing a game where loots like this are possible, and many other players besides myself are also hoping to hit big like that. But that doesn't matter. The loot didn't come to me. Therefore this place is a scam, the player cheated, MA's system sucks and is unfair.

The fact that I didn't even hunt that mob doesn't matter. That loot should have gone to me. (And if I had hunted that mob, and my skills/gear/time ingame were all better than this guy, that would be even more proof I'm right, but I'm right anyway, so that doesn't matter.)

Only when I get the best loot will I stop bitching, moaning and whining.

Until then, I will loudly proclaim this game that I am not forced to play sucks. I will argue with all who disagree with me. You're either working for MA or woefully ignorant.

I was promised (somewhere. Can't find it) that all I needed to do was log in, sweat or maybe depo a small bit, play a bit and my fortune will be given to me. Keep your promises, MA.
:cussing:

(Please note the sarcasm.)

OMG John, u changed so much :(

I still think that "3 players within the Entropia Universe looted $10,000.00 U.S. Each a few days ago by simply participating in normal, everyday, activities within the game......"
.....would have been BETTER for advertising.... And I don't mean by being in a team... I'm talking 3 separate ATH's. At least it appears as though a player might have a chance at getting one.... instead they went with... "After 10 years 1 single player hit an absurd 33k U.S. loot."

Menace

I still think that "3 players within the Entropia Universe looted $10,000.00 U.S. Each a few days ago by simply participating in normal, everyday, activities within the game......"
.....would have been BETTER for advertising.... And I don't mean by being in a team... I'm talking 3 separate ATH's. At least it appears as though a player might have a chance at getting one.... instead they went with... "After 10 years 1 single player hit an absurd 33k U.S. loot."

Menace

doesn't really matter - the bitching would have been the same.

And if it was split up into even smaller, the bitching would be about how no ATHs drop anymore :laugh:

Nah, three 100k ATHs in short time would be even worse as it would soon devolve to comparing three lucky avatars along the lines of "A and B might have been worthy but C is certainly not", and then friends of C would jump in to prove the opposite, and the whole thing would escalate into 110% weapons grade insults in a matter of hours.

To visualize this scenario, just pick three random names from this thread and imagine each gets a 100k ATH. :laugh:

This 330,000 should have been on a puny.

That would have been more entertaining :DDD

Player Loots $33000 in One Hunt on Planet Calypso - MPOGD.com

Player Loots $33000 in One Hunt on Planet Calypso
[SIZE=-1]MPOGD.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Entropia Universe is the largest Massively Multiplayer Online Real Cash Economy (MMORCE) game in the world. Players have no monthly costs, but deposit and withdraw real funds for their adventures on any planet, including Planet Calypso, in the Entropia ...[/SIZE]

and more

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

While it takes skill and planning to take down any creature in the game, the loot system on Planet Calypso incorporates many factors including the toughness of the prey, avatar skills, equipment, and several incidental elements.

This is saying that skills and equipment affect your loot. The biggest ever loot was made using uneco equipment, this is not in agreement with MA's previous suggestion that playing with eco equipment is better.

This is saying that skills and equipment affect your loot. The biggest ever loot was made using uneco equipment, this is not in agreement with MA's previous suggestion that playing with eco equipment is better.

Well, playing with eco equipment is better. You may not get more loot doing it, but you'll certainly be using less PED to get that loot.

I'm not talking about the bitching... <removed>
Menace

EDIT: The "Mod Edit" doesn't surprise me. All Paul does is defend MindArk around here therefore whomever shall call him out on his constant one-sided posting shall have their posts edited IMMEDIATELY! Sometimes I wonder if the mods are actually MODERATING... or playing fucking Whack-A-Mole with anyone who pops up with so much of a SQUEAK of "against the grain" posting.

Last edited:
If you guys are complaining now. Wait till the 1 million PEDs ATH come out.

I'm not talking about the bitching... <removed>
Menace

EDIT: The "Mod Edit" doesn't surprise me. All Paul does is defend MindArk around here therefore whomever shall call him out on his constant one-sided posting shall have their posts edited IMMEDIATELY! Sometimes I wonder if the mods are actually MODERATING... or playing fucking Whack-A-Mole with anyone who pops up with so much of a SQUEAK of "against the grain" posting.

I'm not here to change you Menace and sometimes, just sometimes, when a person wants something to be improved - they might try to motivate people to do it instead of shittalking them down. Freedom of speech is a given here, you have it as well as I do. But Freedom has its limits - yours ends where another person has theirs. And sometimes being polite gets you where you want to be.

Skills and equipment affect your loot.
MA didn't say it affected this jackpot, just that loot in general are affected by it.

Let me tell you a story for the envyus people out there.

We had weeks of DC / Server restarts before this loot happend.

People can spend alot of peds killing a big HP mob, and picture that in those weeks you got a mob down to 10 % HP, server restarts. Next time you login the mob is gone and you have to wait for a new respawn. Hence all the peds is lost. BUT, the "system" or lootius has it. And picture that this happend 3 or 4 times a day. And then get the correct number of avatars affected. So the peds that got "lost" should be a fairly high number.

Hence we got a "taste" on how the hunting proffession used to work. Many lost quick and fast and a lucky one got the prize. (Shitty stable return VU nerf)

The system is basicly the same as a slot machine. One guy can fill it up and not win a dime. Another one can pull it once and win the jackpot.

So please MA or Calypso Dev team. Give us another 3 weeks of shitty server stability so we can again make the system build up a big lootpool due to people constantly losing peds on server restarts etc.

If MA does this. I would be SO happy!

P.S Grtz to Alan. Lucky lucky man ^^

Let me tell you a story for the envyus people out there.

We had weeks of DC / Server restarts before this loot happend.

People can spend alot of peds killing a big HP mob, and picture that in those weeks you got a mob down to 10 % HP, server restarts. Next time you login the mob is gone and you have to wait for a new respawn. Hence all the peds is lost. BUT, the "system" or lootius has it. And picture that this happend 3 or 4 times a day. And then get the correct number of avatars affected. So the peds that got "lost" should be a fairly high number.

Hence we got a "taste" on how the hunting proffession used to work. Many lost quick and fast and a lucky one got the prize. (Shitty stable return VU nerf)

The system is basicly the same as a slot machine. One guy can fill it up and not win a dime. Another one can pull it once and win the jackpot.

So please MA or Calypso Dev team. Give us another 3 weeks of shitty server stability so we can again make the system build up a big lootpool due to people constantly losing peds on server restarts etc.

If MA does this. I would be SO happy!

P.S Grtz to Alan. Lucky lucky man ^^

Yep, that is partly how it works, loot fills up and then get released and this goes for a certain mob, or ore for that matter. That is why you usually can see several mining hofs at the roughly same time. Say 3-4 iron hofs or globals in a short while.

The key question is "better" for what. Chances for an average player to get an ATH are close to none, eco or not. The goal of an average player it to survive as long as possible between deposits, and with that in mind playing eco is surely better. MA's suggestion was addressed to gamers, not to gamblers, because the moment you set an ATH your goal, you already lost to the house no matter what.

has only been playing for 9 months and this is his largest loot to date
I know ppl playing for 9 years who don't even have 1/10th of that loot as top loot. I guess they are doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG

It is also 9 months in which he got 200K+ of tracker loot, mainly from big mobs. I guess a fair bit of chipping must have been involved .

His primary weapon in the hunt was a DOA Strikehammer
My bet is that he's definatly MAXED on that weapon both hit & damage wise.
Just shows again how accurate your dev statements where or how much luck decides how your ava performs in this universe.. & this is AFAIK still a SKILL BASED game.

I fail to see how it says anything about dev statements.

Back