hows the taming system comming along eh

kobar

Guardian
Society
Antipodean Army
kobar kobar bar
err cant find where I read it but remember it saying they planning on working on taming system this year? I do wonder status on that.

Apparently you're thinking about this piece from the last December

Taming
Many of our more patient participants will be happy to hear that a completely redesigned taming system will be developed in 2013. The new taming system will include many of the features from the pre-CryEngine system, along with many new and exciting features that will expand the utility of tamed creatures. Additionally, one of the upcoming new Entropia Universe planets will make extensive use of the new taming system as a core aspect of the planet’s theme.

but since half a year later we got this

Bonnie: Ok so if we are talking about designing older systems then you know which question is coming next. Kombinator’s and Roni both ask it –….. taming!! I know we can’t do specific dates on when it’s going to come out, but how’s the progress is coming with it?

Kim: Well lets say that I have bad news there…
Bonnie: Oh go on…

Kim: yeah.. its pretty much in the same state as fishing actually, for the moment. It only exists on paper. Simply because it’s a massive system, we want to do it right this time. But then the health maturities you saw the last time around with the taming system, and no I can’t give dates because we done it so many times in the past and schedules tend to change.

it's hardly going to happen any time soon.

Apparently you're thinking about this piece from the last December

but since half a year later we got this

it's hardly going to happen any time soon.

jupp jupp another year ... another false promisse ...

i am so happy to be a tamer :lolup:

It only exists on paper

That means its on a sticky note on the dev's white board.
I think the sticky note has to work itself all the way to the right of the board before the coder starts coding.

If course that relies on the sticky note having enough stickyness to stay stuck over the next 5 years.

Ok I am only 2 years old but this seems to be the biggest continuing (non resolved) issue in the game. I am curious about it as I am unsure how many active players are actually affected by it. Certainly anyone my age or younger never had the oppourtunity to try it so it wont affect the newer players.

Lots of people are always asking about this but it makes me wonder if it is just the same players over and over again.

The Whip situation. I have seen players using whips so I know they are out there but (and i have said this before) there is one player who has a shop full of whips that are not for sale (currently)

I am only interested in it coming back to see what all the fuss was about. The pet abilities seem to have been limited to following you around and being trained to perform certain commands. If we are going to have taming - then I would like to see the ability to tame an animal big enough to use as a mount. How about a spider or a big trox to carry around the universe. Or a flying mob that could carry its owner

I dont have answers only speculation - like the rest of us

Ok I am only 2 years old but this seems to be the biggest continuing (non resolved) issue in the game. I am curious about it as I am unsure how many active players are actually affected by it.
It's one of the few things that existed from early stages of Entropia and then was lost when the graphics engine was changed to the CryTek one.

It's not so much that people thought it was a great system (because honestly it felt rather pointless) but that people invested a lot of time and money into it, which was then removed with no prior warning.

Ok I am only 2 years old but this seems to be the biggest continuing (non resolved) issue in the game. I am curious about it as I am unsure how many active players are actually affected by it. Certainly anyone my age or younger never had the oppourtunity to try it so it wont affect the newer players.

Lots of people are always asking about this but it makes me wonder if it is just the same players over and over again.

The Whip situation. I have seen players using whips so I know they are out there but (and i have said this before) there is one player who has a shop full of whips that are not for sale (currently)

I am only interested in it coming back to see what all the fuss was about. The pet abilities seem to have been limited to following you around and being trained to perform certain commands. If we are going to have taming - then I would like to see the ability to tame an animal big enough to use as a mount. How about a spider or a big trox to carry around the universe. Or a flying mob that could carry its owner

Simply this

Taming wasn't much, you could tame 3 or so different mobs and have up to 5 pets out in the world at once if you had the skills.

Now this isn't why people skilled up, the reason was the fact that Mindark said Stage two would be coming introducing more mobs and more features, this was in Mindarks actual online guide not just fiction and this stage two was i think first promised at least 4 or 5 years before cry engine two update came.

Also pets was a section on the auctions which left a player to believe that at some stage you could sell your pets on the auctions, have a look at the auctions it is still there today carrying on charade of taming.

So basically mindark lit a fire and players skilled to be ready for what may come, so it isn't just the fact that taming has been gone for 3 years since cry engine update its the fact stage two never even came after 4 or 5 years or more before that.

I am sure if mindark said new vehicles were coming and would need more skills to drive the good ones then people would skill up to be able to use them and if it took 7 years and those vehicles still weren't here I'm sure people who skilled up would be a tad pissed off, just as tamers are.

We are talking some seriously skilled players here so some serious cash, I'm sure if you have lvl 2 in taming you don't give a rat's but think about the people who have from 50 to 80 levels and what you would feel like if your highest lvl profession basically just dissapeared.

And imagine if you ever bring it up you get called a whiner by people who basically don't even have a clue about taming and the promised stage 2.

Last edited:
"It only exists on paper."

I bet you they even lost the paper...

Does anyone know the state of that PP (Toulan?) that was supposed to be highly dependent on taming? Obviously the two are connected.

The one ray of hope i see for tamers is that you could argue that a proper hitbox system is necessary to implement riding (so attacks can be applied to the right entity).

Taming really has been the poster child of the worst of MA since the beginning: broken promises, half-assed implementations, unevenly applied policies (thinking mostly of the failure to crack down on those who automated pet handling with third-party scripts), shifting priorities, and of course a complete disappearing act. That doesn't bode well for its future, but i do still have my Cobra ME, some brushes, a stable-full of starved pets, and all the taming-related skills i worked for.

I think the biggest slap in the face of all will probably be when it's re-implemented. Skilling taming itself (not pet handling) was a very time-consuming and slow process, especially with the few, slow whips that were available. I doubt they are going to leave it like that, especially with a whole planet based on it, and any random newb will be able to catch up to me in a short period of time with the new mechanics and new gear that shows up. Of course, because pet handling was so easily automated before, this is already an irrelevant complaint (hence comment about unevenly-applied policies). Taming and pet handling should clearly have been less overlapping than they were, since one was so easily automated and skilled. However, since then, the implementation of repairing and prolonged mothership repairing bug has made it clear that MA really doesn't care at all for our investment of time and money in some of the harder-to-skill professions (in the repairing example it was an easy ramp of crafting skills).

Okay that's the first and last whine from me about taming. It's been a trainwreck from the start and getting bent out of shape about the sundry ridiculousnesses surrounding it is pointless.

Last edited:
Ok I am only 2 years old but this seems to be the biggest continuing (non resolved) issue in the game.

Not exactly. It just gets a lot of attention for some reason.

It's one of the few things that existed from early stages of Entropia and then was lost when the graphics engine was changed to the CryTek one.

It's not so much that people thought it was a great system (because honestly it felt rather pointless) but that people invested a lot of time and money into it, which was then removed with no prior warning.

"Early" :trout:

Yeah taming was really a glorified excuse for an unfinished system. It's main use was getting taming skills and using your "pets" as billboards thanks to the customizable name tag.

If and when it returns, the people who were active in it will likely either be gone from the game, somewhat inactive or just will not care enough to put more time and energy into another of MA's poorly implemented buggy systems. So it will likely be oriented towards the new players and a new pyramid scheme will be built with them in mind. Really quite simple and predictable, just a shame that it is so:)

Ok I am only 2 years old but this seems to be the biggest continuing (non resolved) issue in the game. I am curious about it as I am unsure how many active players are actually affected by it.

There are the ones really affected by this, Butch's and Doer's posts cover this very well.

But then one also has to understand that taming is an excellent "placeholder" for players who actually never had interest in taming at all.

If you are mad at the game, your returns or what not and want to bash on MA a bit, throwing in taming is always a excellent choice! Doesn't matter if you never had anything to do with it and wouldn't care if it would be back.

Simply because no one can argue with it. Even the worst of those pesky fan boys (aka satisfied customers) have to shut up when you pull the taming joker out of the sleeve.

So instead of posting about what really bothers you, mostly it is returns and costs to play, and risk that the fan boy mafia starts asking about your play style, nose around in your tracker data, worst case discovering that you hunt way above your level or use fat mining amps, impertinently demanding TT return records (that you don't keep, you know that you get like 0.000001% return average anyway)..

So before you risk all this, just make an snide remark about taming and broken promises and everyone understands what you actually wanted to say, just that the magic word taming made your post irrefutable.

Thats why taming is still mentioned so much here on the forum.

The poor one dozen players who actually invested a lot of time and money to skill on it ain't that vocal anymore, guess they resigned already.

I am totally ok with MindArk saying they can't get the taming system done anytime soon. I am not ok with not giving those people something in exchange now. Worst case, in lack of an more creative idea, let them optionally exchange the taming skills to useful skills in the current system, at an good rate as compensation for those years waiting. I really wish MindArk would act on it and take that "complain joker" away.

But then one also has to understand that taming is an excellent "placeholder" for players who actually never had interest in taming at all.

If you are mad at the game, your returns or what not and want to bash on MA a bit, throwing in taming is always a excellent choice!

This. :wise:

I don't miss taming. Simply because there is nothing (!) to miss about it. The only shame is the let-down of thinking taming was on it's way, only for it to be snatched away again. But old taming system? Bah. Was crap.

err cant find where I read it but remember it saying they planning on working on taming system this year? I do wonder status on that.

Year 2010..

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...ng-the-waiting
Look at #1

Originally Posted by Marco|FPC
Taming will come during 2010. It is one of those systems that probably isn't just converted, but rather evolved, when it is released.

Year 2011...

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/2570973-post5.html

Originally Posted by Kim|Calypso
A small update, the earliest possible release for the taming system would be sometime during the fourth quarter of this year but alot could change before then.

Year 2012...

Latest Buzz from MA.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bull...ms-roadmap.xml

Taming

This long awaited system is to be reintroduced in 2012, with many new features all have been waiting for; we expect the wait to be worth it!

Year 2013...

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bull...dress-2013.xml

They did write.

Taming
Many of our more patient participants will be happy to hear that a completely redesigned taming system will be developed in 2013. The new taming system will include many of the features from the pre-CryEngine system, along with many new and exciting features that will expand the utility of tamed creatures. Additionally, one of the upcoming new Entropia Universe planets will make extensive use of the new taming system as a core aspect of the planet’s theme.
Have to see what happends.....

They say "taming system will be developed in 2013" So its not sure we will get it in year 2013.

The outcome for the year 2013.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...13#post3108013

Bonnie: Ok so if we are talking about designing older systems then you know which question is coming next. Kombinator’s and Roni both ask it –….. taming!! I know we can’t do specific dates on when it’s going to come out, but how’s the progress is coming with it?

Kim: Well lets say that I have bad news there…
Bonnie: Oh go on…

Kim: yeah.. its pretty much in the same state as fishing actually, for the moment. It only exists on paper. Simply because it’s a massive system, we want to do it right this time. But then the health maturities you saw the last time around with the taming system, and no I can’t give dates because we done it so many times in the past and schedules tend to change.

Then later of the year 2013.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bull...dress-2013.xml

Many of our more patient participants will be happy to hear
that a completely redesigned taming system will be developed in 2013. The new
taming system will include many of the features from the pre-CryEngine system,
along with many new and exciting features that will expand the utility of tamed
creatures. Additionally, one of the upcoming new Entropia Universe planets will
make extensive use of the new taming system as a core aspect of the planet’s

Seeing what has happened briefly
2010 = MA lied to os.

2011 = MA act diplomatically.

2012 = MA lied to os.

2013 = MA dont know now what year it will come and and MA admit that they had lied the past years.

2013 = Later on this year, Promise MA again that the Taming will be back back this year

I don't miss taming. Simply because there is nothing (!) to miss about it. The only shame is the let-down of thinking taming was on it's way, only for it to be snatched away again. But old taming system? Bah. Was crap.

I think everyone knows the old taming system was pretty crap, that isn't the issue and isn't why people spent heaps to skill, it was the words from Mindark about what taming will become (Stage 2 and beyond) and the subtle ways they led people on with statues of people riding pets at the stables and Marco's jewels of wisdom thrown in here and there to perpetuate the bullshit and the pet area in auctions pretty much gave the impression that pretty soon you could sell your pets... pretty soon :) shit its been on the auctions since i have played 6 years now.

I think people who just say oh pets were crap just a name tag didn't see the bigger picture that mindark were painting.

If only we knew they were painting it with invisible ink.

edit off topic: and hi Kobar :)

Guess it's just wishful thinking. I remember when my friend started playing EU, before I did. I wasn't really interested, I would just watch if I was over at there house. Guess they read something about taming in the game and they knew that would entice me enough to create my account. Yes of course after month or so playing I finally asked someone in game cause I couldn't find it in game. That's when I was told it's not here at the moment but plans to be back.
Yall prob right about it not good system anyways so least I know I didn't miss anything. Would have like to try it at least. I found lots of other things to do in the game so wasn't a dealbreaker.
MA should just say it aint coming back so people stop asking about it.

That means its on a sticky note on the dev's white board.
I think the sticky note has to work itself all the way to the right of the board before the coder starts coding.

If course that relies on the sticky note having enough stickyness to stay stuck over the next 5 years.

Sticky note?

apparently it starts out life as a roll of white paper hanging from a dispenser on the wall, they tear off one sheet at a time while pondering what to do with all us tamers who are still here :dunce:

As always you miss the point. Although I'm convinced now if the point doesn't hit you in the fucking head like a brick, you'd miss it anyway..."you can't fix stupid" as they say....:laugh:

Simply this

Taming wasn't much, you could tame 3 or so different mobs and have up to 5 pets out in the world at once if you had the skills.

Now this isn't why people skilled up, the reason was the fact that Mindark said Stage two would be coming introducing more mobs and more features, this was in Mindarks actual online guide not just fiction and this stage two was i think first promised at least 4 or 5 years before cry engine two update came.

Also pets was a section on the auctions which left a player to believe that at some stage you could sell your pets on the auctions, have a look at the auctions it is still there today carrying on charade of taming.

So basically mindark lit a fire and players skilled to be ready for what may come, so it isn't just the fact that taming has been gone for 3 years since cry engine update its the fact stage two never even came after 4 or 5 years or more before that.

I am sure if mindark said new vehicles were coming and would need more skills to drive the good ones then people would skill up to be able to use them and if it took 7 years and those vehicles still weren't here I'm sure people who skilled up would be a tad pissed off, just as tamers are.

We are talking some seriously skilled players here so some serious cash, I'm sure if you have lvl 2 in taming you don't give a rat's but think about the people who have from 50 to 80 levels and what you would feel like if your highest lvl profession basically just dissapeared.

And imagine if you ever bring it up you get called a whiner by people who basically don't even have a clue about taming and the promised stage 2.

I see some very solid points here, imagine what would you do if they removed a profession where u have a shitload of skills in?

Taming is going great. MA has successfully tamed the colonists into meekly accepting nerfed possessions, lost professions, and a chronically bugged platform.

I can still tame.

See:

I taught him how to sit. This is at a picnic we had. And we went to NI and rode the roller coaster! And...and, he won me a goldfish at the ping pong game at the carnival. Boy my pet is the best pal I just ever had! We have the best adventures!!! I love my fuzzy little cuddles!

Edit: I killed him.

Last edited:
I am totally ok with MindArk saying they can't get the taming system done anytime soon. I am not ok with not giving those people something in exchange now. Worst case, in lack of an more creative idea, let them optionally exchange the taming skills to useful skills in the current system, at an good rate as compensation for those years waiting. I really wish MindArk would act on it and take that "complain joker" away.

You forget those of us who have large amounts of peds tied up with the actual pets and other related material for pets. What MU are they going to provide for all those things?

Lastly, you let them go over long term broken promise over pets.

What if next update they remove some part of the game you like and promised to 'bring it back in the future even better then before' and renege on that? What if you got large amount of skills or gear (peds) tied up in that part of the game?

Are you going to say, fine, nevermind?

<removed>

The only thing that should be done is for MA to once and for all say it's never coming back and we will let you transfer your skills to professions of your choosing (with no cost) and we'll give you the MU you paid on any taming related items that can no longer be used and the tt value of your pets. Fruit would need to go as well as there is no point having that in game to be found anymore anyway.

I'd also like a proviso that if Taming did return after skills are transferred that they can be transferred back again if we choose, at zero cost to the player. No way am I starting all over again in something I skilled for years!

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, it was actually pretty funny to mess with different mobs, both the taming side and the training side.
That was not enough to keep an average player entertained for long ofc, 'twas more like a little hobby for most of us. If they would add riding function to pets, that would be cool.

What it added to the world was just a little snippet - ah, right i have this pet in the stable, gotta go take it out, feed it and mess around a little. But the healthy world consists of many little snippets like that one. If there's nothing but shooting (or digging) something all day... u know, it just isn't the same game any more.

Well OK, we got vehicles now, but it would make the world more interesting if we got old taming/training back too... one day.

Back