Do you have the skills to help develop Entropedia?

Status
Seems to have quietly died. ..

I am still offering to take it over.

When I talked with the individual over a month ago who has it now.. he was in the process of a complete rewrite.. I have no idea where he is on that or anything as he has not been communicating with us on the forums to update.

I would have gone ahead and build something new but I feel an ethical conflict in scraping all the data to do so... at least as a starting point.

I am up for the work and the challenge.. but not feeling there is enough support behind me to do so. So until that time or until the other individual surrenders (it's been 3 months).. I guess we are in a waiting game.

Excuse spelling and grammar mistakes.. auto correct is causing me grief on my phone.

I would have gone ahead and build something new but I feel an ethical conflict in scraping all the data to do so... at least as a starting point.

I don't see why you would need to scrap the data.

I don't see why you would need to scrap the data.

Scrape not scrap. In other words.. collecting the data from entropedia.

Over the last few weeks.. ive had discussions with the EL developers. I had some discussions with entropialife and I am going to go ahead and build out what I had planned. System was already built.. just needs rebranded. ELife and the new system will work together to improve both sides and ensure data integrity. No ETA for this but I'll open up an alpha version to a select few when that time comes.

Scrape not scrap. In other words.. collecting the data from entropedia.

Over the last few weeks.. ive had discussions with the EL developers. I had some discussions with entropialife and I am going to go ahead and build out what I had planned. System was already built.. just needs rebranded. ELife and the new system will work together to improve both sides and ensure data integrity. No ETA for this but I'll open up an alpha version to a select few when that time comes.

I think we (and by that i guess i mostly mean you but it doesn't have to be you) should implement a bare bones wiki database system that has tables for all the data we need to store and very little in the way of presentation UI (but an API for syncing data). Its role is to be the repository. You build up whatever you're working on and access the data directly from that database wiki site, and refer users there who want to update/add information.

We can ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again AND enable a greater diversity of tools without fragmentation of data-collecting efforts by separating the data/database site from the presentation/UI site(s).

While it isn't what you were completely getting at, the intent was to open web services for others to "hook" into and I intend to leverage entropialife for some other features such as handling new items, etc. Those are yet to be discussed.

What has happened with entropedia wouldn't happen with whatever I develop. I've already built the system, just need to rebrand. I dont want to get into it right now since I am not there yet in the design process. Over the next couple of weeks, I will start getting feedback from select folks before doing more of an open beta. It definitely will be a phased release... there is a LOT of content.

Last edited:
While it isn't what you were completely getting at, the intent was to open web services for others to "hook" into and I intend to leverage entropialife for some other features such as handling new items, etc. Those are yet to be discussed.

What has happened with entropedia wouldn't happen with whatever I develop. I've already built the system, just need to rebrand. I dont want to get into it right now since I am not there yet in the design process. Over the next couple of weeks, I will start getting feedback from select folks before doing more of an open beta. It definitely will be a phased release... there is a LOT of content.

Frankly these kinds of sites need people who are passionate about EU and active with the game running them... not people who are traveling the world that cant be reached to fix and update the simplest things.

I look forward to seeing what you can do!!

I did tell you i was working on it, you asked me to let you know if i would give up on it which i still have not done,

The fact that you have something that just needs a rebrand doesn't make it the best fit, just doing something quick just so that it works is not the best approach here whether some people agree with me or not.

I sent Serica a message a few days ago, letting her know that i was going to post very soon about the first version,

If different people are just going to try and make multiple versions of entropedia just because they feel like it,

Well that isn't going to help the community...

I took over this project because i am a full time developer, work for my self, have the time for it, the skills and mostly because i'm not spending my time anymore playing the game.

The reason i haven't posted is because i am working on the first version, and as a habit i prefer delivering rather than just talking.

Regards
Kris

Easy there. Our discussions were a month ago and since then there have been no updates or messages to the community as to the status. For what anyone knew, it could have been abandoned.

You don't have enough knowledge about what I have already to say it isn't the best fit. It definitely wasn't something quick. It just happens I had done something very similar before.

Either way, if you're about to do the version then communicate with your player base and I won't proceed for now. No need to duplicate work.

Easy there. Our discussions were a month ago and since then there have been no updates or messages to the community as to the status. For what anyone knew, it could have been abandoned.

You don't have enough knowledge about what I have already to say it isn't the best fit. It definitely wasn't something quick. It just happens I had done something very similar before.

Either way, if you're about to do the version then communicate with your player base and I won't proceed for now. No need to duplicate work.

I was just making a point, and just didn't want to see other site like Entropedia pop up to just get even more inaccurate data, as i said i did tell you that i was only thinking about the community, and i wouldn't have taken on a project like this, where people are depending on and waiting for, and just abandon it without even posting or letting someone know.

I do agree with your point, but what i meant is every project is unique in it's own way, sure you could re-use something, but i decided to rewrite it completely to match exactly Entropedia's need, and make it scalable and especially maintainable . At least that's my opinion.

I do ask for the Entropia community to at least give me a chance to show what i can do for Entropedia.

Kris, I appreciate you wanting to develop a new version, but is there any chance you could spend just a little time fixing the most vexing of the bugs on the site, so that users can continue to collect and update the data?

Doer kindly started collecting a list of them here:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?261809-Entropedia-bug-list

I am going to upload the first version very soon, on another domain, while the development stages are ongoing.

So people will be able to get back to work on entropedia.

The fact that you have something that just needs a rebrand doesn't make it the best fit, just doing something quick just so that it works is not the best approach here whether some people agree with me or not.

I think end users will decide what's best.

If different people are just going to try and make multiple versions of entropedia just because they feel like it,

Well that isn't going to help the community...

Competition sparks innovation and that always helps the end user.

I took over this project because i am a full time developer, work for my self, have the time for it, the skills and mostly because i'm not spending my time anymore playing the game.

The reason i haven't posted is because i am working on the first version, and as a habit i prefer delivering rather than just talking.

I know that Entropedia's problems aren't your fault since you don't own the site but so far what we have seen come out of that domain is frequent downtime, endless bugs, and no updates. I understand that the site doesn't really generate revenue but that's the fault of the sit developers. It can easily be monetized

Something is going to have to be improved or others will start to make alternative sites.

As Witte has handed over the site code and admin role to Siniko, this thread can close, and Siniko can post a new one if he wants help from others in developing the site.

Status
Back