Votes: 18 41.9%
  • I'd Buy That For A Dollar

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

Victory

Provider
Society
Pyrates of Calypso
I am posting this thread to suggest a new feature for EntropiaLife. The age old question of "how many active users of eu are there?" pops up again and again. MindArks numbers on this are posted irregularly at best and are usually vague at best. This is not a knock on MindArk as the question is typically phrased vague at best as most people have a different idea what an "active user" may be. As to shed a little a light on this subject, I suggest that EntropiaLife incorporate a feature, perhaps on the Home Page of the site, which displays the unique avatars with any type of activity such as globals and even perhaps pk or tiering hofs. This is already done to some extent with the individual professions through the Rankings system. This gives us some idea of actively cycling avatars within those professions though it doesn't account for crossover avatars to just total up the three. While this total of unique avatars will still leave out quite a few types of players I think it's still information many of us would like to see so I thought I'd start this poll to see what level of interest people may have and Starfinder and the gang at EntropiaLife can determine if they feel ii would be worthwhile for them to implement based on that interest. So to show your level of interest your poll options are:

No Interest - just as it says

Passing Interest - you'd read the stat if it was available but otherwise unconcerned

I'd Buy That For A Dollar - you "might" consider a $1.00 or larger contribution if this was implemented

Clearly it is at the discretion of EntropiaLife to implement this and the "I'd Buy That For A Dollar" selection is an equally non-obligational selection but rather to show a degree of interest beyond just a passing one(and the best quote from the movie it's from, +rep for first to name the flick).

Last edited:
You are correct, Sissi! And your prize, one shiny new +rep, has been delivered. :laugh:

Also if anyone has any alternative ideas or suggestions to throw out there feel free to post here. One additional idea I had, which maybe harder to implement, was logging any full avatar names appearing in chat. I know they are already capturing some of this data for use with the trading feature for EntropiaLife so perhaps that could be incorporated into this feature somehow.

Where is the option "1$ for it to not be implemented"? :D

Because while personally I may have a passing interest (very slight), I don't want such a data to scary off newcomers.

Not to mention that it's a kind of data that creates positive feedback - people see that activity falls and stop playing themselves, further affecting the stat.

You make a very good point Svarog and that was something I had thought about. Not sure why I didn't include an option to that effect now that you mention it... I suppose for people who are of Svarog's outlook should choose No Interest and comment?

Why not just count everyone who logs something for a certain amount of time. Or rather just logs on then we know there is some life on that avatar.

It would be almost impossible for EntropiaLife to implement something capturing all logs I think Legion. EntropiaLife has to capture the log through chat. Though you definitely sparked an idea that would increase the accuracy to some extent. What they could do is capture logs for anyone on the friends list of people with tracker installed though. Even that would only work for people with full name listed on friends list and not those listed only under nick or an alternate name. It could also result in inconsistencies if people were to deliberately create names on the friend's list in a manner as to "trick" the tracker. So while that still wouldn't capture all activity it could certainly expand the scope.

Last edited:
It would be almost impossible for EntropiaLife to implement something capturing all logs I think Legion. EntropiaLife has to capture the log through chat. Though you definitely sparked an idea that would increase the accuracy to some extent. What they could do is capture logs for anyone on the friends list of people with tracker installed though. Even that would only work for people with full name listed on friends list and not those listed only under nick or an alternate name. It could also result in inconsistencies if people were to deliberately create names on the friend's list in a manner as to "trick" the tracker. So while that still wouldn't capture all activity it could certainly expand the scope.

Well it wouldnt be to hard to see how many are logged in i think since they use the app but sure not all use the app either i guess.

I think this is an interesting idea to say the least, my initial thoughts would be to have some basic data on unique avatar names identified through various detectable items like globals, discoveries, pvp hofs etc. as mentioned in the OP here. For something simple like that it wouldn't feel right to charge anything, as we want to keep as much free on EL as we can for the every day user.

For those that wanted to help support EL with a donation, we could possibly implement a more detailed status report based on the information we can read that would be auto generated and emailed as a pdf report. We'll look into this and discuss a bit further and see what we can come up with for you :)

I would suggest MA already asked Entropia Life 'nicely' not to display such data.

Why do I think this? Because they switched daily global data to weekly. That looks very much like a request rather than a choice.

EF have user stats for sure, if we see it or not is another thing, and if they can't global for 10 ped, then such players are not worth counting anyway.

Hey we already got tiny-weeny mob globs in those stats, how much more manipulated data do you need.

Statistics are what you want to show people.

Anyhow there's 3359 avatars hunters that have globalled in the month, and that includes all those running multiple avas (minus 1500 then....lol)

Rick

Donno about how exact it would be...it would count crafters pretty accurately and miners but hunters tend to team too much i think...

For myself, I play almost every day and sometimes for more then 4-5 hours at a time but in my 6 years of EU I've globaled less then 30 times :)

Right. Here's my thoughts on the matter.
As Svarog says there are some "issues" we need to understand before we implement something like that.

We cant really use the "chats from the chat.log" since the displayed names in the chat is set by the individual avatar. It HAS to be "events" such as globals, tiering, events won, discoveries, rare loot.

That bring up another issue. What about people who does not participate in Entropia Universe in the "traditional sense" that is - merchants, taxi drivers, sweaters and so on.

The number we can come up with will be an approximation at best. And no one knows if we are 5% off, or 50% off. With an uncertainty that high, I would feel bad displaying "total active users" on Entropia Life.

Starfinder, anyone else is only doing a negligible contribution. We want to know basically how many significantly contributing members there are.

It does not matter MA will threaten you with dire consequences if you try to do this anyways. The don't want anything like this to happen.

Back