Dealing with black screen in screenshots

KijkkiJikki

Stalker
Society
Dark Knights
Kikki KJ Jikki
In the past there has been a known issue with black screens on automatic screenshots. The workaround has been to disable desktop composition for the client exe.

However I can't get that to work for the 64 bit client. Additionally, it wont be an option to disable desktop composition under windows 8.

I can always use another tool like Fraps but I did like that ET would automagically capture my moments of glory.
What plans, if any, do you have to make the screen shot function useful again?

I switched to Dandys Screenshot tool Xandrax when I could not solve that problem :ahh:

I have been trying to figure it out here and on my own for weeks now with win8 64, no luck...unless I play windowed, which I hate doing,

Someone please end my misery! I love EL too and don't want to run a different one...

As I posted on EF:

On Win7 using 64-bit client, I found I needed to also disable desktop composiiton for the client loader as well as the client itself, so in other words I followed the same process for two differerent exe files (clientloader.exe and entropia.exe iirc).

For Windows 8 I think you need to first select 'Run in compatibility mode, Windows 7' or similar, then you can disable desktop composition as above.

This should allow PrintScrn to work correctly as well as the EntropiaLife screenshot function.

Hi all,

There is a known issue when running EU in 64-bit mode, for full-screen only. If you are running in Windows mode, there are no issues. Until there is an update for the tracker client, you can run EU in 32-bit mode where all features work fine.

Chad

Thanks Oleg, that has allowed me to work around the issue.
Chad, you didn't answer my question from the OP. What is EL doing to implement a solution?

There is a known issue when running EU in 64-bit mode, for full-screen only.

I'm curious now what the known issue is as it works fine for me. I do just make sure I run ET before starting up EU though.

1) Go to Client Loader (.exe) right click the and select Properties.
2) Open the Compatibility tab
3) Enable the "Disable Desktop Composition" checkbox

PS:. Trying to do on 64 bits exe will not work once that before windows vista theres no 64 bits!
When u launch Client loader u gonna check that ur Desktop change a bit its NORMAL!

I hope it helps :)

NOTE: U must to keep Client Loader open while u run the game!

Thanks Oleg, that has allowed me to work around the issue.
Chad, you didn't answer my question from the OP. What is EL doing to implement a solution?

Starfinder is working on it. We're not sure of release date as of yet.

Chad

I'm curious now what the known issue is as it works fine for me. I do just make sure I run ET before starting up EU though.

Interesting...

Just to confirm, since the 64-bit mode was introduced you have been able to take screen shots in full screen while run EU in 64-bit mode? (make sure they aren't black screens)

Chad

Interesting...

Just to confirm, since the 64-bit mode was introduced you have been able to take screen shots in full screen while run EU in 64-bit mode? (make sure they aren't black screens)

Chad

Yep, it's working fine :)

Im able to screengrab using ctrl+prtscr on win7 with windows desktop composition disabled, but I cant get my favorite grab tool Greenshot to save images. I guess its not able to grab the keypress during game running. Do you know any other utilities besides EL that can auto save? Back in the old winXP days I used GCS (grab click save), but it doesnt seem to be available anymore.

Im able to screengrab using ctrl+prtscr on win7 with windows desktop composition disabled, but I cant get my favorite grab tool Greenshot to save images. I guess its not able to grab the keypress during game running. Do you know any other utilities besides EL that can auto save? Back in the old winXP days I used GCS (grab click save), but it doesnt seem to be available anymore.

Fraps. I've been using it longer than I've played EU.

Grrrr, can somebody please post some clear instructions for this work around? Where do I find the clientloader.exe in Win7? This is frustrating so many years later, why isn't it fixed yet?

Starfinder is working on it. We're not sure of release date as of yet.

Chad

When? It's been literally years now that I've been waiting patiently with folder after folder of black screenshots. Now I actually need one and can't make it happen. :scratch2:

i would always have to use windowed mode to grab screenies

Where do I find the clientloader.exe in Win7?

Mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe\bin32\ClientLoader.exe, or if you have a shortcut on your desktop you can access it that way.

1) Go to Client Loader (.exe) right click the and select Properties.
2) Open the Compatibility tab
3) Enable the "Disable Desktop Composition" checkbox

PS:. Trying to do on 64 bits exe will not work once that before windows vista theres no 64 bits!
When u launch Client loader u gonna check that ur Desktop change a bit its NORMAL!

I hope it helps :)

NOTE: U must to keep Client Loader open while u run the game!

Mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe\bin32\ClientLoader.exe, or if you have a shortcut on your desktop you can access it that way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Upgraded to Windows 10 this morning and now I also have the black screenshot issue which was working fine in windows 7 fullscreen mode on 64 bit. Have tried compatability modes but the one thing I can't find is 'Enable the "Disable Desktop Composition" checkbox' to fix it as I guess this has now been removed in Windows 10. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work or what I'm missing?

Also, any news on a fix/update for Tracker for these black screenshot issues that have been plaguing some since 2013?

and how about for those of us where the tracker doesn't even ATTEMPT to screenshot globals? (it catches chat just fine, since combat and team loot logs work perfectly, but it has NEVER captured a screenshot of a global. EVER)

Upgraded to Windows 10 this morning and now I also have the black screenshot issue which was working fine in windows 7 fullscreen mode on 64 bit. Have tried compatability modes but the one thing I can't find is 'Enable the "Disable Desktop Composition" checkbox' to fix it as I guess this has now been removed in Windows 10. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work or what I'm missing?

Also, any news on a fix/update for Tracker for these black screenshot issues that have been plaguing some since 2013?

Yeah "disable desktop composition" is removed since win 8 and is allways on ,Microsoft

•Does not support mirror drivers for remoting scenarios; while most of the existing apps that use mirror drivers should continue to work, due to the infrastructural change required to support existing mirror drivers in Windows 8 with DWM ON, some features or apps that use mirror drivers may not work
•Does support Desktop Duplication APIs for app developers who use mirror drivers for remoting scenarios.
•Does not support existing Accessibility Mirror Drivers
•Existing Mirror Drivers must be updated to ensure that they are compatible with Windows 8

Seams microsoft whants developers to re-write code for all these programs/aps ,some even whas programed to disable dwm at startup :p

Black ss still on windows 10...

Same problem here with Black ss on windows 10. Any solution?

I switched to Dandys Screenshot tool Xandrax when I could not solve that problem :ahh:

Just installed this to try and still getting black screenshots with Windows 10 :(

Well, i just loaded the Game "War thunder", got a screenshot and its fine. Seems a problem between Entropia client and Entropia tracker on Windows 10, i dont know.

Manualy presing PtrScr button on Win 10 work fine.

Manualy presing PtrScr button on Win 10 work fine.

I've got Fraps for doing it manually. I want something that works automatically! :yup:

Im with Nadie here, i wrote a suport ticket to EL some months ago but still no answer.
I use WIN 10 and get theese black screen shoots no idea how to solve it.
Anyone got a solution for it yet?
Regards

Im with Nadie here, i wrote a suport ticket to EL some months ago but still no answer.
I use WIN 10 and get theese black screen shoots no idea how to solve it.
Anyone got a solution for it yet?
Regards

you gotta hunt in windowed mode if you have a big enough monitor and it doesnt bother you

Back