PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
MindArk Goldcard Offer
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 82
  1. #11
    Alpha
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Under the I-96 overpass getting free wifi from Panera
    Avatar
    Xavier Target Technosplurg
    Posts
    695
    Images
    2
    Well, there are also the people who use multiple accounts... There are 3,653 hunters which globaled in the last 30 days which is probably a very good count since nowadays getting a global is pretty easy with the new mini-globals..... Heck I'm ranked 1,817 out of the 3,653 with 6 globals, 4 argos and 2 event mobs in the last 30 days and I am a very small time player...

  2. #12
    Prowler
    Joined
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Avatar
    Neil Greenleaf Stockton
    Posts
    1,614
    Images
    3
    I think the biggest problem with this method is the sample. Instead of taking a random sample of entropians, you've taken a very non-random sample (forum users... actually it's worse... it's forum users who could be bothered to answer a poll about auction listings, which is itself a very non-random slice of forum users, since people more interested in auction listings are likely to be those who have a lot of auction activity). Most long time players at least know about the forums. My personal view is that I think only about 10% of players actually look at the forums or do so with any regularity. This is based on some events I've tried to organize in the past. Unless you get word passing in game, almost no one knows about it in game.

    So, you need a way of taking a more random sample... maybe try standing in 10 different places on the planet and private chat 10 random avatars in each place, asking how many auction listings they usually have. You'll have to take into account where you're at... you'll get wildly different numbers at camp icarus vs inside the building at twin peaks. That will still not be a random sample but at least there you can record how many people don't reply, how many chat with you but don't give you a number, and how many give you info. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of players are out "in the bush" at any given time, especially miners will spend most of their time far away from TPs, who probably have more on auction than hunters.

    Another problem is that "active players" is of course a vague term in itself. If you can define it as something more concrete you can get a more reliable answer. If you say "players who globaled this week" then you can use entropialife, but ofc that's not really the same as "active" since many many players are active, even cycle significant peds without registering globals once a week. But determining how many players log in at least once a week is much harder.

    My estimate is 20k unique players who log in at least once a week.

  3. #13
    Provider
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Rocktropia
    Avatar
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Posts
    161
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At one week I can have 20 items on auction and at another I can have none.
    well as the poll states its average. As I stated in the example if you have 20 at times and none at other choose 10.

  4. #14
    Provider
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Rocktropia
    Avatar
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Posts
    161
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Few Scars View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or you can look at EntropiaLife were you can see the number of registered player globals. Around 3000 active has been the estimated playerbase for sometime. This game is a niche market. More so only about 100-200 players ATH or make the HOF charts on a regular basis.
    We are a small family, we all know each other

    {Deleted}

    Sorry misread your post
    Last edited by DiabloP; 11-26-2013 at 14:29.

  5. #15
    Provider
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Rocktropia
    Avatar
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Posts
    161
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the biggest problem with this method is the sample. Instead of taking a random sample of entropians, you've taken a very non-random sample (forum users... actually it's worse... it's forum users who could be bothered to answer a poll about auction listings, which is itself a very non-random slice of forum users, since people more interested in auction listings are likely to be those who have a lot of auction activity). Most long time players at least know about the forums. My personal view is that I think only about 10% of players actually look at the forums or do so with any regularity. This is based on some events I've tried to organize in the past. Unless you get word passing in game, almost no one knows about it in game.
    Well in every research based on statistics some assumptions are made. One of the assumptions was:

    players that check the forum and vote have the same behavior towards the auction as those that don't.

    Which I personally believe is a reasonable assumption


    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, you need a way of taking a more random sample... maybe try standing in 10 different places on the planet and private chat 10 random avatars in each place, asking how many auction listings they usually have. You'll have to take into account where you're at... you'll get wildly different numbers at camp icarus vs inside the building at twin peaks. That will still not be a random sample but at least there you can record how many people don't reply, how many chat with you but don't give you a number, and how many give you info. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of players are out "in the bush" at any given time, especially miners will spend most of their time far away from TPs, who probably have more on auction than hunters.
    That could work but you've pretty much pointed out the flaws

  6. #16
    Marauder Svarog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    in ur lootpoolz, rawr
    Avatar
    Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Posts
    6,217
    Images
    491
    First, you closed the poll with just 48 votes, before most people even saw it.

    Second, it doesn't matter anyway, because auction doesn't represent anything. Obviously those who use most slots are crafters and resellers, and the latter most likely represent the half of the list with their innumerable alts.

  7. #17
    Prowler Artrat's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Dubai
    Avatar
    Jin Artrat Mugen
    Society
    Antipodean Army
    Posts
    1,293
    Images
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Large block of meaningless statistical data
    You've made science cry
    Follow my Mission Log


  8. #18
    Marauder Doer's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Muddlin' Through
    Avatar
    David "Doer" Falkayn
    Society
    Trial period
    Posts
    6,660
    Blog Entries
    44
    Images
    338
    If you've been watching items on auction for a few years, you'd know that most of the lots are listings by alts. How many actual people control the various alts is anyone's guess but the point is auction is a terrible way to estimate "active players".
    Champion of reason, unraveler of MA's mysteries...forever n00ber
    Myth busters: Evade/Defense Skills Weapon damage Armor decay Unlocking Skills Weapon attachments
    Other esoterica: My Story Luck Project Entropia: what's in a name? More bang

    Quote Originally Posted by Doer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sigh. Really? Regen nanobots? You're really going to make us pay for what you took away?

  9. #19
    Provider
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Rocktropia
    Avatar
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Posts
    161
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you've been watching items on auction for a few years, you'd know that most of the lots are listings by alts. How many actual people control the various alts is anyone's guess but the point is auction is a terrible way to estimate "active players".
    If that is true then it would actually mean the the real average of items per player on calypso auction is more than 8.5 resulting in less than 2000 active players.
    Last edited by DiabloP; 11-26-2013 at 15:27.

  10. #20
    Elite valentin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Avatar
    Sir Valentin
    Society
    Experia
    Posts
    4,175
    Images
    7
    I do not know how many avatars are active right now but I knew just before VU 10.0 when there were just under 5000 active avatars in the game.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Planet Calypso on Twitter  Follow Planet Calypso on Facebook