Male | Male
    Edgewise
    Society
    ISF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, that's not correct. Just because a player didn't play in the last week or last 30 days doesn't mean they never became an active player.

Isn't that what creates Mindarks income tho?

I mean, getting a "active" player that stays, plays and enjoys the game for a longer period of time... Not the "deposits 100 ped once, then decides to never come back" type of player or comes back after 1 year break, 2 year break etc... That can't be good for Mindark...

Anyway a low % of players actually still staying around the game
    R.I.P Project Entropia
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy24 View Post
    this new feature is just annoying, whoever programed this, i hope a truck hits you, and that your body doesent disapear so the he can back up and drive over you again

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSkywalker View Post
    Another problem is some players hardly ever sell anything because they TT or sell to traders all of their loot a lot of the time. They may buy things from auction but rarely sell anything. These players will not appear in your calculations.
    Actually they do. There is a "zero Item" choice for players who don't use the auction

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    if you want to make a poll to get a rough idea of how many players active in entropia, then I suggest the following

Question: have you had a global in hunting in the past 30 days

1: Yes

2: No

then from the answers, you can say that your results, that out of 'X' people who took part in the poll, 'X'% had a global past 30 days in hunting only.
    I've considered that idea, but it has a major flaw. The inactive players would all be the ones choosing the second answer. Therefore giving an overestimate of the active player base.

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narfi View Post
    any ETA ?

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    No, that's not correct. Just because a player didn't play in the last week or last 30 days doesn't mean they never became an active player.
    We want to find out the active players at the time of speaking. We're not looking for players who are gonna be active 2 month from now or were active 3 months ago, we are looking for the player count that will effect our game play right at this time.

Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
    Society
    Odysseus Unbound
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like your thinking, but there are still some flaws which need ironing out.

1) The poll you have made is not likely to be representative. Not all players go here
    2) The poll took a few days, so it does not cater for the fluctuation of #items in auction per player
    3) I see no incorporation of margins of chance in your calculations.
    Account Created 2006-03-07
    Casual (yet CLD holding) player.
    CNN - Bringing more Compassion to the world - Join the team

Marauder
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    John itwasntme Remontoire
    Society
    Bravo Three-Nil
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LangeTobias View Post
    Isn't that what creates Mindarks income tho?
    Maybe. We don't really have numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by LangeTobias View Post
    I mean, getting a "active" player that stays, plays and enjoys the game for a longer period of time... Not the "deposits 100 ped once, then decides to never come back" type of player or comes back after 1 year break, 2 year break etc... That can't be good for Mindark...

Anyway a low % of players actually still staying around the game
    The number of players staying in the game appears to be on the increase though.

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollongong View Post
    I like your thinking, but there are still some flaws which need ironing out.

1) The poll you have made is not likely to be representative. Not all players go here
    2) The poll took a few days, so it does not cater for the fluctuation of #items in auction per player
    3) I see no incorporation of margins of chance in your calculations.
    1) as i mentioned in a previous post, one of the assumptions was that the behavior towards the auction of the people that check the forum are the same as those that don't

2) In the poll players were asked about the average number of items they usually have on auction, not what they have at the moment of taking the poll

3) If you are referring to the accuracy of the number of sample data, well to get that we would need the exact number of players. Assuming 2000 is exact, i'm pretty sure the accuracy would be above 90%. (don't remember the exact formula but 48 samples out of 2000 is a pretty good sample set as far as i remember)

Super Moderator
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Harena Serica Turbinis
    Society
    Antipodean Army
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing I'd point out is that your poll thread started on (for me), a Sunday evening, and ran til Tuesday evening.

Two days .. and not even a weekend.

Auctions on the other hand run for up to 7 days, and I'd expect a there'd be a higher peak in the Friday-Sunday period.

A poll taken over 7 days with auction data averaged over 7 days might provide a (somewhat) more representative sample - though still biased as you're only sampling forum members, not a random number of the whole player population.

(I won't even mention that even if the total population was 2000, you'd need a poll of about 320 players to get a 95% confidence interval. The margin of error inherent in sampling only 48 players will ensure that any result produced is effectively meaningless.)
    Born in Entropia: 26Sept06... Skills Unlocked: MMS 16Nov06, RDA 16May07, Animal Taming 12Jul07, Serendipity 23Dec07, PC 25Apr08, ESL 10May08,
    CGA 23Dec08, MatExtrMeth 4Mar09, BPC 30Mar09, MDA 8Aug09, Extr 6Oct09, Coolness 17Apr10, Martial Arts 22Apr11, Medicine&Treatment 23Aug11,
    150HP 7Aug12, Wounding 27Mar13, C.Sense 12Aug13, Avoid 27Aug13

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    One thing I'd point out is that your poll thread started on (for me), a Sunday evening, and ran til Tuesday evening.

Two days .. and not even a weekend.
    We can assume the behavior towards the auction for weekend players is the same as week days.

Auctions on the other hand run for up to 7 days, and I'd expect a there'd be a higher peak in the Friday-Sunday period.

A poll taken over 7 days with auction data averaged over 7 days might provide a (somewhat) more representative sample - though still biased as you're only sampling forum members, not a random number of the whole player population.
    As mentioned above, the poll asked the average number of items players have on auction, not what they have at the time of taking the poll.

(I won't even mention that even if the total population was 2000, you'd need a poll of about 320 players to get a 95% confidence interval. The margin of error inherent in sampling only 48 players will ensure that any result produced is effectively meaningless.)

True a higher accuracy could have been achieved with more votes, but the votes weren't coming. only 3 votes on the second day. But as i was keeping track of the average, it wasn't changing much.