Entropia Universe Active Player Base

DiabloP

Provider
Society
Freelancer
Diablo DiabloP Minotaur
Ever wondered what the actual number for the active player base is in EU? MA has always considered this number a "corporate secrete":

I am unable to provide information about or discuss certain figures that are considered corporate secrets (Kim Calypso).

well I've figured out a good way to get that number. and the results:

Results: There are about 2000 active players playing Entropia universe

Getting the answer was quite simple. I conducted a simple poll regarding the average number of items each player has on calypso auction:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...55617-POLL-Average-number-of-items-on-auction

With a simple spread sheet we can find the average number of items players have on planet calypso auction:

69WyFOa.png

So the average players has 8.35 items on planet calypso auction. At the time of writing this the ingame auction had approximately this many pages:

Planet Calypso Auction ~ 1000 Pages
Planet Arkadia Auction ~150 Pages
Planet Rocktropia Auction ~ 40 Pages
Planet Cyrenet Auctionb ~ 20 Pages
FOMA/Hell/ NI/ CP Auctions (SUM) ~ 50 pages

That sums up to about 1260 pages of auction. (Sincemost players using other auctions also have items on planet calypso auction, we will be over estimating the active player base at the end). Each page on the auction has 15 items:

1260(Pages)*15(Items) = 18900 Items on auction
18900Items/ 8.35 (Item per active player) = 2263 Active Players.

There fore we can see that the number of active players playing Entropia universe is about 2263

Give me your thoughts on this.

At one week I can have 20 items on auction and at another I can have none.

Way to low prediction if you ask me. Best way in my opinion is to take from EU Life the number of ppl that glob (3653 this month just for hunting) and maybe multiplie that for two, because of traders/sweaters/cld invest./space pilots/etc that dont global.

I would risk to say that more or less there is +/- 20k users loging in per month.

And 2k play you argue. Is that daily? Per hour? :scratch2:?!

Your assumptions are not accurate if you ask me, because you can not predict how much average auctions per avatar there is. Even if your pool shows some so called average number.

However the tool which tell us how many active players there is already exist and it is darn close. It is called EntropiaLife. If there is an active player should have at least 1 global per year.

Or you can look at EntropiaLife were you can see the number of registered player globals. Around 3000 active has been the estimated playerbase for sometime. This game is a niche market. More so only about 100-200 players ATH or make the HOF charts on a regular basis.
We are a small family, we all know each other :)

Results: There are about 2000 active players playing Entropia universe

I bet that you are not even in top 2000 on the Heloween event 2013.

Results: There are a lot more than 2000 active players playing Entropia universe

There are probably more than 2000 players with more skills and play time then me. And I'm playing every day.

2000 are probably the people that play more than 4 hours a day and deposited more than 100k PEDs

I bet that you are not even in top 2000 on the Heloween event 2013.

Results: There are a lot more than 2000 active players playing Entropia universe

There are probably more than 2000 players with more skills and play time then me. And I'm playing every day.

2000 are probably the people that play more than 4 hours a day and deposited more than 100k PEDs

Could you at least back your statement up with proof? Bjorn sounds the most right to me :/

Around 3000 active has been the estimated playerbase for sometime. This game is a niche market.

3000 players through out the entire world :) i would call that a secret society not a niche market.

Pitiful effort on Mindarks part, in all the years its been around this is it.

Last edited:
Well guys,

You all know me...........

I now feel obligated to throw out some wild outlandish claim as well.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Joakim is Kim's Baby Momma!:wtg::wtg::wtg::wtg::wtg::wtg:

My estimated guess based on the number of threads about this, id say 1 million :wise:

Well, there are also the people who use multiple accounts... There are 3,653 hunters which globaled in the last 30 days which is probably a very good count since nowadays getting a global is pretty easy with the new mini-globals..... Heck I'm ranked 1,817 out of the 3,653 with 6 globals, 4 argos and 2 event mobs in the last 30 days and I am a very small time player...

I think the biggest problem with this method is the sample. Instead of taking a random sample of entropians, you've taken a very non-random sample (forum users... actually it's worse... it's forum users who could be bothered to answer a poll about auction listings, which is itself a very non-random slice of forum users, since people more interested in auction listings are likely to be those who have a lot of auction activity). Most long time players at least know about the forums. My personal view is that I think only about 10% of players actually look at the forums or do so with any regularity. This is based on some events I've tried to organize in the past. Unless you get word passing in game, almost no one knows about it in game.

So, you need a way of taking a more random sample... maybe try standing in 10 different places on the planet and private chat 10 random avatars in each place, asking how many auction listings they usually have. You'll have to take into account where you're at... you'll get wildly different numbers at camp icarus vs inside the building at twin peaks. That will still not be a random sample but at least there you can record how many people don't reply, how many chat with you but don't give you a number, and how many give you info. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of players are out "in the bush" at any given time, especially miners will spend most of their time far away from TPs, who probably have more on auction than hunters.

Another problem is that "active players" is of course a vague term in itself. If you can define it as something more concrete you can get a more reliable answer. If you say "players who globaled this week" then you can use entropialife, but ofc that's not really the same as "active" since many many players are active, even cycle significant peds without registering globals once a week. But determining how many players log in at least once a week is much harder.

My estimate is 20k unique players who log in at least once a week.

At one week I can have 20 items on auction and at another I can have none.

well as the poll states its average. As I stated in the example if you have 20 at times and none at other choose 10.

Or you can look at EntropiaLife were you can see the number of registered player globals. Around 3000 active has been the estimated playerbase for sometime. This game is a niche market. More so only about 100-200 players ATH or make the HOF charts on a regular basis.
We are a small family, we all know each other :)

{Deleted}

Sorry misread your post :)

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with this method is the sample. Instead of taking a random sample of entropians, you've taken a very non-random sample (forum users... actually it's worse... it's forum users who could be bothered to answer a poll about auction listings, which is itself a very non-random slice of forum users, since people more interested in auction listings are likely to be those who have a lot of auction activity). Most long time players at least know about the forums. My personal view is that I think only about 10% of players actually look at the forums or do so with any regularity. This is based on some events I've tried to organize in the past. Unless you get word passing in game, almost no one knows about it in game.

Well in every research based on statistics some assumptions are made. One of the assumptions was:

players that check the forum and vote have the same behavior towards the auction as those that don't.

Which I personally believe is a reasonable assumption

So, you need a way of taking a more random sample... maybe try standing in 10 different places on the planet and private chat 10 random avatars in each place, asking how many auction listings they usually have. You'll have to take into account where you're at... you'll get wildly different numbers at camp icarus vs inside the building at twin peaks. That will still not be a random sample but at least there you can record how many people don't reply, how many chat with you but don't give you a number, and how many give you info. The other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of players are out "in the bush" at any given time, especially miners will spend most of their time far away from TPs, who probably have more on auction than hunters.

That could work but you've pretty much pointed out the flaws :)

First, you closed the poll with just 48 votes, before most people even saw it.

Second, it doesn't matter anyway, because auction doesn't represent anything. Obviously those who use most slots are crafters and resellers, and the latter most likely represent the half of the list with their innumerable alts.

If you've been watching items on auction for a few years, you'd know that most of the lots are listings by alts. How many actual people control the various alts is anyone's guess but the point is auction is a terrible way to estimate "active players".

If you've been watching items on auction for a few years, you'd know that most of the lots are listings by alts. How many actual people control the various alts is anyone's guess but the point is auction is a terrible way to estimate "active players".

If that is true then it would actually mean the the real average of items per player on calypso auction is more than 8.5 resulting in less than 2000 active players.

Last edited:
I do not know how many avatars are active right now but I knew just before VU 10.0 when there were just under 5000 active avatars in the game.

This number has so many variables I think its hard to derive with the data we have.

I know that since I started crafting, the sheer volume of goods moved thru the auction is surprisingly massive, large enough to justify much more than 2000 active players.

In my shop database I have 282 unique avatars that have purchased in the last few months, 70% of those are not in the tracker database.

I would say that 90% of my disciples cannot afford to even use the auction, and initially are afraid of the fees. They all go person to person trades to move stuff. Auction history really misses a large portion of the population. Discipleship on average lasts many months.

I also know partially due to CLD that the cut of the small % of the overall economy to pay for CLD is massive as well, much more massive than is justified by 2000 people playing. CLD revenue is less than 10% of all incomes.
That is, CLD revenue is funded by the 8-10% loss players get on average. 1000% more ped is in the economy via items and skills and such.

If we were to compare to eve, where many systems, like outposts have a certain number of active people at them, then I could see that Entropia may be at least half of eve population (20k online on average any given) easily, if not more.

On a given day if I travel to all of the planets, I can find people at a vast number of outposts, and thats not to mention the several thousand in the field hunting, or on the landscape mining at that same time among the other planets. There are probably 200 people in space atm repairing.

I have thought this over many times, and I honestly cant say if its 5k or 30k. I tend to lean toward 20ish k offhand though.

MA doesn't want to release the numbers because over a third of the population are avatars they or PPs run themselves?

Not a very accurate way to measure player numbers i think. EL is probably the closest we will come to know the real number, unless MindArk decides to release the real numbers of course.

Btw, why is exact player number such a hot topic? personally im ok not knowing, i mean EL already tells us the amount of people hunting/mining/crafting on a significant level anyways.

Best regards
Zweshi

Active players? Does that count all the bots/alts as being active. If you do - you need to cut the number in half.

Ever wondered what the actual number for the active player base is in EU? MA has always considered this number a "corporate secrete":

Give me your thoughts on this.

Many other MMORPG's display the number of active players.

I believe MA is NOT proud of the active player count and that it's much smaller than most fanbois believe.
Otherwise it would not be "a corporate secrete".

It's definitely more than 2000 but it depends on what you consider "active". EU is the only game where many people consider "active" to be logging in once a week for 2-3 hours.

The sad truth is, even if we do have 20k+ (which seems to be the most liberal estimate being thrown around in this thread), it definitely "feels" closer to 2-3k (or less) due to timezone differences and all these new planets and continents. This is one of my least favorite aspects of EU. It felt more like a family when it was just Eudoria. At least half the appeal of any MMO is the social experience... but when I'm hunting/mining I feel largely alone, and since everyone else is out hunting/mining, the major city/hubs are often empty too (maybe 50 players max at any given time)... Basically you have to rely on your soc chat and friends list almost entirely.

MA proudly displays the # of "registered accounts". They're undoubtedly hiding the player base for marketing reasons. You can't blame them. There is no advantage to releasing this information, especially when games like WoW are going around boasting their 8 million paying subscribers.

I think you'd be surprised how few they actually play.

you are probably correct, but since they won't reveal the number of active participant, number of active "official" and "non-official" planet partner avatars, etc., it's impossible to know, now ain't it?

Last edited:
Back