Entropia Universe Active Player Base

from a "reliable source" who happens to be an admin on another forum related to EU in which Mindark representatives have never posted directly as they do here (yet):
Last January, the amount of active players (Anyone involved in a transaction involving any amount of PEC, and it includes dupes, alts, etc.) was 18k monthly.

If you want to reveal that on PCF, I only ask that you include that that number was shared with at least one non-PP by an upcoming PP.

(sorry I'm not too good at revealing sources as a reporter am I, lol)

just lol

have you heard of entropia tracker???? more than 2000 people have had globals last 30 days.

if you want to make a poll to get a rough idea of how many players active in entropia, then I suggest the following

Question: have you had a global in hunting in the past 30 days

1: Yes

2: No

then from the answers, you can say that your results, that out of 'X' people who took part in the poll, 'X'% had a global past 30 days in hunting only.

Then compare that percentage to entropia tracker stats, and there is your rough estimate.

You must stress it in hunting only, mining and crafting globals not included. I say this because an avatar maybe hunt mine and craft, where as another avatar will only craft, then it will become complicated to calculate.

Just sampling players in a forum is not enough. We can guess that many of the active readers in this forum also are very active in the game and on the auction, probably we have more items on the auction than the average player.

Problem number two, time space between gaming sessions and the average time an item is listed before it is sold.

For example player "A" plays three hours every second day, or around 10 hours each week.
Let's also assume the player sells items that are sold after an average of 6 hours at the auction house. Each time the player logs in the player restock the auction house with two items. When asked on how many items he have on the auction house he will answer, "two". But in reality that is only two items for six hours each second day, or at average one item for six hours/day. So even if you put him up for two items, the real average number is 6/24=0,25 items not 2.

Another problem is some players hardly ever sell anything because they TT or sell to traders all of their loot a lot of the time. They may buy things from auction but rarely sell anything. These players will not appear in your calculations.

At this very moment there are 96 members and 318 guests visiting PCF.

I really have a hard believing 1/5 of the player base would be on the forum at the same time.

If that is true then it would actually mean the the real average of items per player on calypso auction is more than 8.5 resulting in less than 2000 active players.

While correct in theory, I think your poll is highly inaccurate I think.

Short version: People overestimated their average number of auctions and/or you didn't reach out to a broader audience.

I remember seeing on Mindarks webpage many years ago that they had over 1 million registered accounts... <- this part was wrong, they seem to have reached it recently...

2000-3000 active players from that, well... We seem to have a "this person will stay and play the game activity" of a whooping 0,25% (getting late here, is this actually the right calculation?? please correct this :D) if we actually have a million registered accounts.... :ahh: Meaning 1 per 400 became a active player, looking back on the past 10 years?

Back in 2007:

"Jun 11, 2007 -Marco Behrmann: Entropia has some 595 000 registered account. "

From Entropia Life, which links to entropia planets ( http://www.entropiaplanets.com/thre...ogged-on-to-our-system-24-hours-per-day.5894/) : "News sources for Entropia Universe

Entropia Planets - General DiscussionWed, 13 Mar 2013 02:19:22
MindArk: "One million users simultaneously logged on to our system 24 hours per day."
MindArk: "One million users simultaneously logged on to our system 24 hours per day. This assumption is conservative."

Well, this asumption is also more than 10 years old. Considering it took those 10 years to achieve 1 Million registered accounts it turned out not to be "conservative" but ultra-optimistic.

Sometimes it's worth looking back. I chose this thread title to catch your attention for the EU History Project (one cannot have enough projects at a time, right?!?). The goal is to collect bits of EU history and make it available for everyone.

So far there is nothing more than this thread and a rather empty project wiki page and I would like to ask you to contribute to the one or the other (wiki link: EU History). Everything is of interest: nerfs, features, events, sales, media coverage, announcements, incidents in and around EU, etc.

At least 100 contributions per person. This assumption is conservative. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2 Sept 2011: Since the original post a lot has happened already:

• The amount of information is growing.
  • Preview on how history will be displayed: EU History Timeline
» Read the entire post"​

Last edited:
Meaning 1 per 400 became a active player, looking back on the past 10 years?

No, that's not correct. Just because a player didn't play in the last week or last 30 days doesn't mean they never became an active player.

No, that's not correct. Just because a player didn't play in the last week or last 30 days doesn't mean they never became an active player.

Isn't that what creates Mindarks income tho?

I mean, getting a "active" player that stays, plays and enjoys the game for a longer period of time... Not the "deposits 100 ped once, then decides to never come back" type of player or comes back after 1 year break, 2 year break etc... That can't be good for Mindark...

Anyway a low % of players actually still staying around the game :)

Another problem is some players hardly ever sell anything because they TT or sell to traders all of their loot a lot of the time. They may buy things from auction but rarely sell anything. These players will not appear in your calculations.

Actually they do. There is a "zero Item" choice for players who don't use the auction :)

if you want to make a poll to get a rough idea of how many players active in entropia, then I suggest the following

Question: have you had a global in hunting in the past 30 days

1: Yes

2: No

then from the answers, you can say that your results, that out of 'X' people who took part in the poll, 'X'% had a global past 30 days in hunting only.

I've considered that idea, but it has a major flaw. The inactive players would all be the ones choosing the second answer. Therefore giving an overestimate of the active player base.

We want to find out the active players at the time of speaking. We're not looking for players who are gonna be active 2 month from now or were active 3 months ago, we are looking for the player count that will effect our game play right at this time.

I like your thinking, but there are still some flaws which need ironing out.

1) The poll you have made is not likely to be representative. Not all players go here
2) The poll took a few days, so it does not cater for the fluctuation of #items in auction per player
3) I see no incorporation of margins of chance in your calculations.

Isn't that what creates Mindarks income tho?

Maybe. We don't really have numbers.

I mean, getting a "active" player that stays, plays and enjoys the game for a longer period of time... Not the "deposits 100 ped once, then decides to never come back" type of player or comes back after 1 year break, 2 year break etc... That can't be good for Mindark...

Anyway a low % of players actually still staying around the game :)

The number of players staying in the game appears to be on the increase though.

I like your thinking, but there are still some flaws which need ironing out.

1) The poll you have made is not likely to be representative. Not all players go here
2) The poll took a few days, so it does not cater for the fluctuation of #items in auction per player
3) I see no incorporation of margins of chance in your calculations.

1) as i mentioned in a previous post, one of the assumptions was that the behavior towards the auction of the people that check the forum are the same as those that don't

2) In the poll players were asked about the average number of items they usually have on auction, not what they have at the moment of taking the poll

3) If you are referring to the accuracy of the number of sample data, well to get that we would need the exact number of players. Assuming 2000 is exact, i'm pretty sure the accuracy would be above 90%. (don't remember the exact formula but 48 samples out of 2000 is a pretty good sample set as far as i remember)

One thing I'd point out is that your poll thread started on (for me), a Sunday evening, and ran til Tuesday evening.

Two days .. and not even a weekend.

Auctions on the other hand run for up to 7 days, and I'd expect a there'd be a higher peak in the Friday-Sunday period.

A poll taken over 7 days with auction data averaged over 7 days might provide a (somewhat) more representative sample - though still biased as you're only sampling forum members, not a random number of the whole player population.

(I won't even mention that even if the total population was 2000, you'd need a poll of about 320 players to get a 95% confidence interval. The margin of error inherent in sampling only 48 players will ensure that any result produced is effectively meaningless.)

One thing I'd point out is that your poll thread started on (for me), a Sunday evening, and ran til Tuesday evening.

Two days .. and not even a weekend.

We can assume the behavior towards the auction for weekend players is the same as week days.

Auctions on the other hand run for up to 7 days, and I'd expect a there'd be a higher peak in the Friday-Sunday period.

A poll taken over 7 days with auction data averaged over 7 days might provide a (somewhat) more representative sample - though still biased as you're only sampling forum members, not a random number of the whole player population.

As mentioned above, the poll asked the average number of items players have on auction, not what they have at the time of taking the poll.

(I won't even mention that even if the total population was 2000, you'd need a poll of about 320 players to get a 95% confidence interval. The margin of error inherent in sampling only 48 players will ensure that any result produced is effectively meaningless.)

True a higher accuracy could have been achieved with more votes, but the votes weren't coming. only 3 votes on the second day. But as i was keeping track of the average, it wasn't changing much.

Reminds me of the distant past U.S. poll about if they would vote lib/cons president (I think). That was conducted by calling - by phone - to the sample households. Voting day came and turned out the results of the survey were horribly wrong. The reason, they figured out later, was that the sample was very biased: only quite wealthyhouseholds had telephones that time.

We can assume the behavior towards the auction for weekend players is the same as week days.

We can not assume that. We know it to be pretty much not true based on things we can observe about auction.

Intuition is the best guide here.

One can try to interpret globals and fl and average hits.

But, this is a poor indicator of numbers.

Intuition will tell you a few things:

#1 many of your old pals still play this game... which is what? 1000 players / month

#2 regular people you do not know very well... perhaps another 4 000

#3 irregular players, some 10 000 or so

The end result is, small beer.

If you hide your numbers, you are afraid of something. I take this as a given.

If I owned a business for 11 years my numbers would shine.

If you hide your numbers, you are afraid of something.

Of a misinterpretation, for instance.

That number is relatively small, undoubtedly 1000s times smaller than active playerbases of the major online games. But the same is true if you'd compare the numbers of people who ride, say, Ferrari and VW.

This game is special and not for everyone. Would be a pity if potential participants were repelled by something like "Players online: 1500" on the game's site, because numbers alone mean nothing.

This game is special and not for everyone. Would be a pity if potential participants were repelled by something like "Players online: 1500" on the game's site, because numbers alone mean nothing.

I think this is the key concept. I think most games try to appeal to everyone which is why I don't like most games. There have only been a few select games I have played for extended periods of times in my life. Most everyone has played and enjoyed checkers, but many less have taken the time to learn how to play and enjoy the game of chess. Games that take time to fully grasp to be able to enjoy scare away the average impatient person. EU is ever changing, but the easier they make it to play(addition of vehicles, detailed missions, etc.) they alienate those that found it appealing because of its complexity and trying to make it like most other games makes it less appealing because why do we want to play a game that is turning into something else when we could just go play the other game....

activity

can be much active people anymore, then it would crash alot often. just look when 2 soc goes in war in LG all get ctd BIG lag unplayable.

Of a misinterpretation, for instance.

That number is relatively small, undoubtedly 1000s times smaller than active playerbases of the major online games. But the same is true if you'd compare the numbers of people who ride, say, Ferrari and VW.

lol, how exactly are we comparing EU with Ferrari now?

- Companies like Ferrari offer the best support for their customers among car companies. . . MA copy pastes its support tickets!!!

- Ferrari's don't lag . . . EU??

- Car's like Ferrari's are designed to provide the best performance for their customers . . . don't get me started on the bugs here.

I can see Svarog analogy clearly.

This game is not for every one! While on other RPG games you play 20 hours a day on higher levels without paying any more USD than the already monthly fee... here if you don't know it's needed real money! More money will be required to play more time.

Just like with the Ferrari, even if you got one as a gift probably you would need to sell it because the money for the maintenance, insurance and the fuel would be unbearable. The same happens here.

The niche of our game is so small that probably the next time I log me into the game at 4AM I would be scared to see only 500/1000 ppl online at that very second. And ofc that MA don't want that!

Entropia other games

The discussion about subscription fee in that thread made me check something and led to interesting discovery.

Five of my ex-disciples are non-depositors who play at the lowest level - they sweat most of their time, sell sweat, lose the money on hunting and go back to sweating, over and over again, for years. And yet all five are within 900-1100 range in EL's hunting top, which means that the rest of 2500 people in the top below the 1100 mark are either struggling even worse or just aren't too active. Which in turn gives very interesting hints to the topic.

The discussion about subscription fee in that thread made me check something and led to interesting discovery.

Five of my ex-disciples are non-depositors who play at the lowest level - they sweat most of their time, sell sweat, lose the money on hunting and go back to sweating, over and over again, for years. And yet all five are within 900-1100 range in EL's hunting top, which means that the rest of 2500 people in the top below the 1100 mark are either struggling even worse or just aren't too active. Which in turn gives very interesting hints to the topic.
Are the opted out users not counted toward the ranking ( while counting in the unique global total)? I just logged on ex tracker and couldn't find my rank. It may be simply hidden, i don't care, but i find your statement interesting like all your funny posts.

Back