Help: Is it easy to swap Intel mobile processor

Kimmi

Slayer
Kimmi Kimmi EFnet
Im looking to buy this computer:

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/VisionX%20Series%20(Haswell)/

CPU supported list:

http://www.asrock.com/Nettop/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=VisionX%20Series%20(Haswell)

On Ebay I found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Core-i7-4930MX-QS-Haswell-3-0G-3-9G-8MBrand-New-Retail-and-Wholesale-near-OEM-/111232414253?pt=CPUs&hash=item19e5f7f22d

My question is,
is it as easy on HTPCs to swap cpu as it is on normal desktops with LGA-sockets.

Disclaimer:
No, ASRock dont have the option to buy with i7.

bump........

No, changing CPU on a laptop is no trivial endeavour. Each laptop has a mess of steps to complete before being able to just reach the CPU socket, with all the screws you have to remove first and all the little parts and connectors that must be placed in exactly the same way they were.

Is it possible? yes, is it easy? nope.

Also, take into consideration this:

The fact that the socket is compatible with a more powerful CPU doesn't mean the laptop will be able to take it. Be it for a lack of power, power stability, heat disipation, etc...

Unless you are atleast a mid-level computer enthusiast I would not recommend swapping CPUs on a small form factor comp.

And by laptop, I mean any small form factor computer, HTPC, etc.. xD

I would say its not hard and as Asrock says this proc is supported so no risk doing it. But i would buy procesor from some local pc store and not on ebay but thats your choice. Procesor isnt cheap and if somethings go wrongs or if just stop working i woudnt like to RMA with some ebay seller.
Changing proc is easy just 4 screws to remove heatsink with fan, then u unlock socket with one regular screwdriver, take old proc out and insert new one, then lock lga screw back. Dont forget to buy some quality thermal paste. Clean old paste from heatshink and apply new one on proc chip very tiny layer. I do it with my finger and remember with thermal past is "less is more" put heatshing with went back on and screw back 4 screws. And thats it

Gl, Lin

All depend.
Some computers (especially laptops and small factor computers) have CPU soldered to MB, therefore you would need to swap whole MB.
Others are pretty easy to replace.

I would recommend investigate that particular model of laptop, how it is built.

Are u serius? What notebook u two are talking about. First read what OP did wrote and check links he provided then be smart. Forum trolls!!!

sure, its as easy as dropping it off at a pc repair place and picking up a few days later.

owner operated place would be better than big box store, for this job.

Are u serius? What notebook u two are talking about. First read what OP did wrote and check links he provided then be smart. Forum trolls!!!

Before you troll and accuse others, read it yourself!!

It is mini factor pc with mobile chipset and mobile CPU....

So again u trolling cose if u would look what minifactor PC he was talking about u would see that its not soldered but replacable cpu...

So again u trolling cose if u would look what minifactor PC he was talking about u would see that its not soldered but replacable cpu...

read my first post in this thread, maybe then you will understand.

If you have something more to tell me, make it in PM as I will not reply to more off topic bs...

I have just one thing to say and not to you but to help OP

http://download.asrock.com/manual/VisionX Series (Haswell).pdf

you should read to... all Notebook soldered trolls :)

and just to improve my post (the one who actualy helping OP what he was asking for) u need torx screwdriver for removing heatsink with fan and unlocking proc from socket...

Happy moding and GL

Lin

@ Sebonator you could have posted your pdf rather than being a smart arse cock about it.

@ Kimmi, the queston is begged why one would want to buy a HTPC and have such a monster CPU, with so many components throttleing and restricting what it can be applied to?

Last edited:
No that question is all yours. Troll 9k posts 3per day nice

Hes question was how hard it is...
Easy smeezy

Its not monster cpu its just the best u can put in...
http://www.asrock.com/Nettop/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=VisionX Series (Haswell)
if u would read link OP provided...
lot of GHz power with reduced electric and compatible with this HTPC

And yea i could put that pdf before but i was talking from my head cose i moded lot of ivybridge before and sell some haswell as well but didnt mod any, thats why i missed torx screws.

I have just one thing to say and not to you but to help OP

http://download.asrock.com/manual/VisionX Series (Haswell).pdf

you should read to... all Notebook soldered trolls :)

and just to improve my post (the one who actualy helping OP what he was asking for) u need torx screwdriver for removing heatsink with fan and unlocking proc from socket...

Happy moding and GL

Lin

Thanks, so this confirm its pretty easy to swap.

@ Sebonator you could have posted your pdf rather than being a smart arse cock about it.

@ Kimmi, the queston is begged why one would want to buy a HTPC and have such a monster CPU, with so many components throttleing and restricting what it can be applied to?

Im using a "modded" version of this with Ivy bridge, but I never changed CPU, I just put in more RAM and put in SSD and HDD.
I love this HTPC. Watching movies on my TV and having PE on seperate monitor. Tho I have always modded my computer, if for no other reason because I can. (Im aware ppl may hate me for it.)

I agree there could be some heating problems, when going from 37W to 57W. So maybe I will just settle with i7-4800MQ at 47W. I could maybe change the "cooling units" aswell, but that sounds like work:)

No that question is all yours. Troll 9k posts 3per day nice

Hes question was how hard it is...
Easy smeezy

Its not monster cpu its just the best u can put in...
http://www.asrock.com/Nettop/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=VisionX Series (Haswell)
if u would read link OP provided...
lot of GHz power with reduced electric and compatible with this HTPC

And yea i could put that pdf before but i was talking from my head cose i moded lot of ivybridge before and sell some haswell as well but didnt mod any, thats why i missed torx screws.

Thanks for all the help, torx I already have :)

Update:

After you guys informed me buy top model cpu would be wast of my money, I have not bought i7-4800MQ.

Hopefully I will get it in a week or two.

I do have one problem, I dont own ASRock VisionX Haswell HTPC yet.

ASRock have a search option on their webpage where I can check what store sells their products around the world. This feature is not accurate at all.
I would like to buy this computer in United states of USA or South Korea, but none of the suppliers listed sell their HTPC.

http://www.asrock.com/general/buy.asp?Product=HTPC&Country=United+States

Any americans or koreans here, have some better insight of what computer stores that could sell this HTPC.
(not bestbuy, B&H, J&R or frys)

I always get alot of help from you guys. By people who know what they are talking about and not.

Just wanted to post an update on this project.

I ended up buying ASRock VisionX 420D, (I have been using ASRock VisionX 321B the last two years and it fit my needs perfect.)

I did some modifications on my new VisionX 420D;

Threw out the 8GB Ram, and putin 16GB Kingston Ram CL11. (Its not on memory list so I hope god will have mercy on me)
Threw out the Intel i5 4200M, and put in Intel i7-4800MQ.
For now Im taking my old Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 and WD WD20NPVT 2TB from VisionX 321B, and putting it in the new VisionX 420D.

Craps, was doing similar thing a while back but failed, I now see that I was using a standard dinner fork not dessert one!

Good luck with assembling!

I always get alot of help from you guys. By people who know what they are talking about and not.

Just wanted to post an update on this project.

I ended up buying ASRock VisionX 420D, (I have been using ASRock VisionX 321B the last two years and it fit my needs perfect.)

I did some modifications on my new VisionX 420D;

Threw out the 8GB Ram, and putin 16GB Kingston Ram CL11. (Its not on memory list so I hope god will have mercy on me)
Threw out the Intel i5 4200M, and put in Intel i7-4800MQ.
For now Im taking my old Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 and WD WD20NPVT 2TB from VisionX 321B, and putting it in the new VisionX 420D.

Kimmi I am happy if your are happy. Was going to tell you something but I will just keep it to myself:)

looks like a pretty little gaming rig :D
Would have prolly left the 8GB and i5 in, saves a few Watts and keeps a bit cooler, but allways depends on what one does with the thingy :D

looks like a pretty little gaming rig :D
Would have prolly left the 8GB and i5 in, saves a few Watts and keeps a bit cooler, but allways depends on what one does with the thingy :D

It will be interesting to see if i5 37W vs. i7 47W will be to much for the cooling fan and how its made.

Now I know how people feel when they say theyr living on the edge :eyecrazy:

It will be interesting to see if i5 37W vs. i7 47W will be to much for the cooling fan and how its made.

On the photo i see that you are using a vork too ;)
That really makes it total excitement.

Good luck building the machine! :)

For games the CPU should rarely hit the maximum,GPU will get way hotter... but those fans really look tiny...especially the one in front of the HDD :D
I think you will need to take care of it regularly and clean the fans...they draw dust like a magnet :D

For games the CPU should rarely hit the maximum,GPU will get way hotter... but those fans really look tiny...especially the one in front of the HDD :D
I think you will need to take care of it regularly and clean the fans...they draw dust like a magnet :D

Its been good for two years, so I dont see why a brand new one wont hold 2 years, as my old one have.

Hello guys

Here is another update on this system.

I swaped the i5 4200M with i7-4800MQ.

I have been concerned about nuclear meltdown because of heating but it doesnt look that mad.

Im just showing you guys 3 screens of my system, idle semi-load and load.

Only thing Im uncertain about is, if I should increase the voltage little, since this MB is setup for a i5 and not i7.

What do you guys think?

PS.
My newest toy, 21.5" Touch screen for desktop by Acer.
(yes, its just as good and fun as the onces on the new ultrabooks)

When your looking to overcloak its best to do a search on that processor and stable voltages and configurations. Taking small steps at a time then using certain software to load the processor in different ways, you can test the heat and for stablity. Best to take baby steps and test the system for a few hours at a time.

It doesnt matter if the Motherboard had a I5 instead of I7, that is just the processor the people at the company that put that computer configuration together, tring to reach there goal in Performance, and Price. Anyway your right for concern because case size and cooling and power supply choice goes into this decision which an increase in power could change up there cost in parts and target price range they want to sell in. Meaning the case might not have the proper air flow for a hotter processor and likly the stock fan on it will not cut it at all.

I have to go at the moment but when im back ill list simple 1 2 3 steps that can quickly help your with your decision.

What are you talking about?? Im not oc.

And I like apples better then oranges.

Anyone have any input, about my last reply regarding my i7 CPU.

Should I have to adjust voltage on my MB when I go for a bigger CPU?

Back