Fuel consumption change?

Mack

Old Alpha
Society
Dark Knights - Squires
Armak Mack Zardacon
Putting this in here for now until I (we) know more, but to me it looks like fuel consumption of my quad changed recently. Well, maybe it wasn't recently and I just didn't notice until now.

Has anyone else noticed that quads (and probably other vehicles?) consume fuel faster now? Is this a bug? Is this finally fixing a long standing bug where it was previously too low?

Basically I don't know exactly how fast quad was consuming fuel before, but I've made tons of trips back and forth between Ark and Caly over the years and don't ever remember adding fuel. Today I fly over to Ark and run out mid way. Okay, so I relog and eventually end up on Zeus station. Spawn couple other vehicles I have and drain them, but only have 34 pec of oil. That's okay I tell myself, that's plenty to get the rest of the way to Ark. Surprise!! Run out again about 5 AU out from Ark. The 34 pec of oil took me about 5-6 AU.

I tried searching forum and don't see any discussion about it. I've been away for a while, so maybe it happened long ago and I just finally notice? But I did see another thread or two about others running out of fuel lately, so maybe it is a recent change (bug?).

Any input is appreciated....thanks.

Mack

P.S. Apparantly second relog at 5 AU out from Ark surface wasn't close enough to get to Ark SS, so back at Zues awaiting rescue mission from soc mate with fuel.

Could account for the increase in demand/price for generic fuses......

Feb 19 I flew from Caly to Toulan SS and it did cost me 2 ped of oil (then another 6-7 while I was trying to land for 3 hours, but that's another story :silly2:) . Today I flew back along the same route and it was the same 2 ped.

The 34 pec of oil took me about 5-6 AU.

Sounds about right, a Caly<->Ark trips always did cost me a bit over 1 ped of oil, and that's ~20 AU.

Last edited:
I always consumed around 1 ped of oil for my Sleipnir, in space. Last time (couple months ago) seemed it increased, but also space size increased. A trip to RT from Caly took me 40min+, before was a bit faster (30 min?)

On planetside is hard to quantify, I never fly more than few minutes at once - but the fuel consumption seems to be higher than in space.

Maybe at some point years ago you just throw 1000 PEDs of oil into your quad ?

Quad has only had small amount of oil in it for years...don't remember what I put in, but certainly less than 50 ped. I know I checked consumption a really long time ago, but never wrote it down. Was so low after a while I stopped checking it. Have it in my head that it was less than 1 ped, maybe 30 pec of oil to go from Caly to Ark. I know scale of space got bigger since, so would account for some of the increase, but just seems odd people just happen to start running out of fuel lately. But maybe it's just a couple of us that it happened to and really is coincidence.

Okay, so sounds like maybe I have initiated a false alarm. Apologies. Guess my memory isn't what it used to be...anyway, nothing so far to truly indicate a change was made. But if anyone has some hard tested fuel consumption numbers for quads or sleps I'd still love to hear them.

In the meantime, thinking I need to start a petition for MA to add "Emergency Fuel" to TT. Make it cost twice as much as Oil or something, but at least would be there if someone was stuck waiting for soc mate to rescue like me :)

Mack

Just keep 5 ped of oil in the quad and replenish after each flight. 5 ped is enough to get anywhere in the universe and back. I also never keep more than 5-10 peds in my quad because if it stuck in space or while landing (remember hundreds of quads lying around PA and hanging above it?) - it will keep burning oil for hours or days. But I always carry lots of oil in one of other vehicles.

Just keep 5 ped of oil in the quad and replenish after each flight.

Another option: Bring along some other vehicle (car, chopper or something) and check regularily that you have a few peds of fuel in it. If you run out of fuel at a space station, then move the fuel to the quad/sleipnir and aim for closest planet with a working oil market.

Another option: Bring along some other vehicle (car, chopper or something) and check regularily that you have a few peds of fuel in it. If you run out of fuel at a space station, then move the fuel to the quad/sleipnir and aim for closest planet with a working oil market.

Yeh, had other vehicles with oil, but the "check regularly that you have a few peds of fuel on it" somehow got skipped, lol. Just bad coincidence that they were all low at the same time and only scraped together 34 pec from them all.

Am safely back on Ark now and buying a bunch of oil so doesn't happen again ;p

Like Svarog's tip to leave only a few ped on the quad while flying to avoid losing a lot of oil if stuck in space and quad operating forever though. (+rep)

Thanks all, Mack

Lost tons of oil on that day, was a good lesson :). All those quads were roaring up there the whole day, no way to recall them, and falling down in the ocean upon emptying their tanks.

Lost tons of oil on that day, was a good lesson :). All those quads were roaring up there the whole day, no way to recall them, and falling down in the ocean upon emptying their tanks.

:lolup: never gonna have more than 5 ped oil on my quad ever again. Better safe than sorry.

:lolup: never gonna have more than 5 ped oil on my quad ever again. Better safe than sorry.

couldn't you have just disconnected from game? after 30sec ship would auto recall?

Anyway I have run out of fuel a few times, now I carry a backup vtol with fuel and thruster.

couldn't you have just disconnected from game? after 30sec ship would auto recall?

No, in this bugged state the quad cannot be recalled and persists after you log out, stuck and burning oil. It doesn't happen often tho.

About 1.4 ped oil from Caly to Ark is what I use. Sometimes I will fly afk and I just put 1.5 ped in so that it doesn't sit there wasting oil at the end.

Back