Question: Mall Shops and Activity?

FauconIoji

Provider
Hang out: Icarus. Apartment: Medusa South Tower, F
Faucon Ioji VanAlkel
So, here's a question:

Is there some sort of system in place that evicts mall owners if they don't keep up with their stores or log in for a certain period of time? Or do the shops just stick to the owner forever, even if the owner abandons the game?

I ask because I am working on a project I'm calling Entropia Revival (check out the blog for it linked in my signature) and am interested in purchasing a mall shop - not necessarily for my own benefit but to help try and revive the mall scene. I would like to work on a shop and advertise the hell out of it ;)

So, is there any way that these mall shops can go up for sale other than for the player to put them up his/herself?

Not that I want anyone to get evicted :eyecrazy: but would like to see the malls bustling again :wise:

No such system, except terms of EULA, about a period of account inactivity. In this case, Shop (as other items) becomes the property of MA back, and may be sold again at auction to other players

No such system, except terms of EULA, about a period of account inactivity. In this case, Shop (as other items) becomes the property of MA back, and may be sold again at auction to other players

I think that just about answered my question. Thanks man :)

a while ago there was rent and if you didnt pay it no more items would be sellable/ nobody would be able to enter the shop but now you can be offline forever and shop will still be functional .. maybe one day you will not have anything left to sell though :tongue2:

if you make the right offer I guess it is possible to find shop owners willing to sell. ;)

They are owners and paid hefty sums for their property, how could they be evicted? The different question's when the account itself gets wiped, that equals to a death of a heirless owner.

There are a bunch of shops for sale. I went thru' all malls yesterday, shop by shop, and
there a some deeds for sale.

When I did that, it's so obvious something needs to be done. All malls feels more or
less like abandoned malls that would fit The last of us.

So, here's a question:

Is there some sort of system in place that evicts mall owners if they don't keep up with their stores or log in for a certain period of time? Or do the shops just stick to the owner forever, even if the owner abandons the game?

I ask because I am working on a project I'm calling Entropia Revival (check out the blog for it linked in my signature) and am interested in purchasing a mall shop - not necessarily for my own benefit but to help try and revive the mall scene. I would like to work on a shop and advertise the hell out of it ;)

So, is there any way that these mall shops can go up for sale other than for the player to put them up his/herself?

Not that I want anyone to get evicted :eyecrazy: but would like to see the malls bustling again :wise:

As I think someone else said in in another thread. It's like when last time you used your VTOL or TP chip. More then a year. Ok lets take it from you. When you look it like this you feel silly for asking MA to take something someone paid 10-20k peds just becouse he doesnt use it now.

Well I think a few people took what I was asking a little bit out of context :p

I'm not saying that anything should be taken from anyone. What I was asking is actually more simple: if a player is inactive for a long period of time (over 365 days) is there anything in place that marks a player as "inactive" and puts his land up for sale?

I was around for rent and when it was abolished and its because I was around for rent that I was unsure as to whether some sort of inactivity deadline was enacted to compensate for what would inevitably be a largely-growing ratio of inactive shop owners who neglected to sell off their shops (because the reality is that its just simple math. eventually, each shop owner will get tired of the shop, whether its in a day or ten years, and what if those owners all fail to sell of their land?)

I think we already see this in the apartments and its partially apparent in the shops.

I believe my question was answered, though; nothing like this is in place. I wonder, though, if it should be? Not that I'm necessarily for or against it but I am certainly curious as to whether such an idea would be friendly to the economy. As a shop owner, I wouldnt be mad if I stopped playing the game and my shop was "foreclosed" on and I was given a cut to my ped card.

Also, I agree that something has to be done about the shops. I feel like the malls should be way more frequently used, and they aren't.

Well I think a few people took what I was asking a little bit out of context :p

I'm not saying that anything should be taken from anyone. What I was asking is actually more simple: if a player is inactive for a long period of time (over 365 days) is there anything in place that marks a player as "inactive" and puts his land up for sale?

I was around for rent and when it was abolished and its because I was around for rent that I was unsure as to whether some sort of inactivity deadline was enacted to compensate for what would inevitably be a largely-growing ratio of inactive shop owners who neglected to sell off their shops (because the reality is that its just simple math. eventually, each shop owner will get tired of the shop, whether its in a day or ten years, and what if those owners all fail to sell of their land?)

I think we already see this in the apartments and its partially apparent in the shops.

I believe my question was answered, though; nothing like this is in place. I wonder, though, if it should be? Not that I'm necessarily for or against it but I am certainly curious as to whether such an idea would be friendly to the economy. As a shop owner, I wouldnt be mad if I stopped playing the game and my shop was "foreclosed" on and I was given a cut to my ped card.

Also, I agree that something has to be done about the shops. I feel like the malls should be way more frequently used, and they aren't.

What I think would help, after X-amount of days of inactivity with the shop/logging in, a courtesy e-mail/phone call should be made to that person just to remind them of their shop and maybe they should consider selling it(no pressure on doing it but maybe they forgot about what kind of estate they had). I know there's a few players that would love a chance at owning a shop in a mall but the active shop owners are selling for too high and the ones that are empty, most of those players don't log in anyways lol. You are on the right track about trying to do something about inactive shop-owners making malls look like ghost towns.

They are owners and paid hefty sums for their property, how could they be evicted? The different question's when the account itself gets wiped, that equals to a death of a heirless owner.

Here lies a major issue with malls in EU though. Someone owns the mall as a whole. That means the productivity of its component parts affects the value of the mall as a whole. In real scenarios, the mall enters into contracts with shop owners. Expectations are set and met.

But in EU, once the shop is sold, the mall owner loses all control of that component part. Even if I had the money I would not invest in a mall. It's absolutely essential that owners can expect quality shops but they can't enforce it. Huge flaw, imho.

I like your blog

Was reading your blog, especially the entry about buying sweat at 4 PED / K. I thought you made some good points about the TT stuff being mostly crap and I decided I should try to do something to help new players get good stuff. I thought about it for a while, I knew from experience that these new players don't usually have PED because it's hard to sell sweat, so I came up with something which seems to be working quite well actually:

I go on the auction and buy Limited lower level weapons with SIB for less than Market Value (its amazingly easy to get weapons for a few percentage points less than MU). Than I offer up these weapons to sweaters for an equivalent value in sweat. But I take their sweat in at a value of 1.6 PED / K (these days its hard to get 1.5 PED/K).

So for example, an Isis LBC 1 that I bought on Auction for 4 PED, I will ask 2.5k sweat for it.

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now about once a day and I have probably sold 40-50 weapons for sweat and today I sold my first Pixie armor set (was asking 24k sweat for it). Some people have bought 6 or 7 weapons from me this way and I know that some are probably not going to use them themselves and instead probably plan to offer them up for sale (probably because they figure its easier to sell weapons than sweat), But that's fine, because it still helps someone get into different activities other than sweating and will probably increase the likelyhood of that person stiking around a bit longer and contributing to the game and the economy in some way, even if that's just through trading goods.

But anyways now I'm looking for a bit of help with this, I have almost 300k sweat, which I essentially paid 1.6 PED/K for. So, I'm not in this for the money, in fact I'm willing to absorb a small cost.

If anyone reading this likes what I'm doing and would like to support it, would you please contact me in game and buy some sweat from me for 1.55 PED/K.

Thank you and god speed!

Inherent Legends

I used to own a shop in Twin Peaks mall but sold it a number of years ago. The problem was that it wasn't visited that often. I found it quicker to turn around my crafted product on auction. Nowadays I'm seriously considering buying a shop again but I can't justify the investment if the people don't come.

Buzz was a fantastic crafter and still owns a set of shops in TP mall but I've visited them recently and it looks like they haven't been updated in a long time. I'd love to get malls running again but it'll be so difficult with what I perceive as a diluted user base across many planets.

Buzz was a fantastic crafter and still owns a set of shops in TP mall but I've visited them recently and it looks like they haven't been updated in a long time. I'd love to get malls running again but it'll be so difficult with what I perceive as a diluted user base across many planets.

Many shops have changed just in the past couple years, for example:
All of Buzzlight year's shops seem to be abandoned.
Half the shops in Medusa have closed and now owned by 1 dude doing nothing with them.

Plus some Treasure Island shops look like MA stopped developing it they don't even have estate terminals after 15 years. Of course someone will point out that 15 irl years is just 15 weeks in MA time.
Noticed MA owns majority of Genesis Amerthera HQ, Omegaton Habitats, Sakura City, Treasure Island.

Anyways its got to be hard for shop owners still making a go of it and nearby shop "owners" are perma-afk year after *** year... plus entrance booths are very rarely stocked or items are way overpriced.

Current:
Oxford (Deer) mall has 4 shops fully stocked, 14 low stock, 5 deadbeats
Omegaton West Building Delta has 4 shops fully stocked, 4 low stock, 10 deadbeats
TI Platinum Building has 4 shops fully stocked, 3 low stock, 11 deadbeats
Genesis HQ Building B has 2 shops fully stocked, 3 low stock, 13 deadbeats
Sakura City has 1 shop fully stocked, 3 low stock, 8 deadbeats (12 shops in 2 buildings)

Note: some shops look low stocked but check estate terminal and see they are using maximum points.
^ That doesn't include nothing-to-buy-here museum/housing "shops" as those are dead to me.

Last edited:
I think its a real shame that Caly shops have declined like this. Living on R0CKtropia where the community is closer and not so spread out. Shops have become have become very important to local economy and with chance to have your own personal instance is great. Ravenjade is perfect example illustrate this. She has mannered not just make her shop stand out to embrace her vampire avatar, but now she has her own instance with vampires. If you ever come to RT its worth a look to show what you could really do with a shop. Many shops now are very active even Juicy loophole that looks like a teenagers bedroom still mangers to get customers. Saying this though people moan that players do not use AH enough. Where others prefer Player v player trades. As mentioned before a number of time MA should implement some way via AH that you can see what shops have in stock and prices. To many people don't take full advantage of shops, but put crap in stock like common noob armour, pets from boxes and then charge stupid prices and wonder why they don't sell shit.

My biggest issue with the Malls is that they were introduced in the first place. We had plenty of empty shops available in the existing buildings but MA chose to add even more instead of using the ones they had available (something they seem to do quite often).

It meant that a lot of the players who had spent a long time developing their shops and establishing themselves had the rug pulled out from under them when new players only ventured as far as the Malls. At implementation the Mall shops had a monthly maintenance fee 10 times the standard rate but one person had to buy the entire Mall first and then sell the shops individually (MA was running low on cash I suppose), some shops have never been sold.

Because a lot of the shops were too costly to run for the owners they ended up closing but the owners wouldn't sell so they sat there.

The final straw was when the Deer Mall was recreated after being disabled due to a screwed up implementation and then reintroduced with the higher fee where the battle began. When that finally ended all Caly apartments and shops had their fee's removed :yay: and where the other planets followed suit.

Last edited:
Malls R dead.
Long live the Malls.

When I first started playing this game and walked around half empty malls I used to be puzzled as how a player can spend peds to buy a shop and then just...abandon it. But now after 2 years and after having a glitched booth for almost a year, I look around again and I realize a lot of them probably waited for their shops to be fixed of some bug and just gave up on it so i don't blame them.

I think the locations are just not ideal for traffic. Booths are usually hiding in some building and malls are exhausting! In real life, if I go shopping, I do not have to frantically look for an item in every single shop and in every single floor until I find it. I want a pair of shoes so i go to Macy's because I get a nice discount and I know I can count on a full stock of pretty shoes to choose from every time I go there. The shops that I visit a lot are consistent, they sell always the same product, they are usually very well stocked and they have competitive pricing. This I know it takes work.

Me, after my booth was fixed, I had lost momentum. I had already sold/TT/gifted all my stock, my furnishings, etc and I had started to withdraw. So now I have 2 booths with stock but the thrill is gone. I will have to give it a few months to figure out what to do with them.

Back