Help: Help with graduating

Derid

Prowler
Society
Antipodean Army
So, I been playing my normal style now for quite a while and I must say that my progression to graduate is very very slow. What I am trying to figure out now if it is my play style in general that causes this or if I am focusing on the wrong parts.

Can you recommend a good way to get a good pace on my disciple progress?

What I currently do is my runs of hunting and mining. I stack up equal amount of peds for mining and hunting and go out and spend it all. I seldom use a FAP.

Cheers and hopefully someone can point me to some better aspects.

Derid

I get your mentor cannot advise you on this? :D

Is quicker hunting puny or repairing on a ship. When I had 60% or so, I got sick of the slow progress, bought lots of WW and went to burn few RK-5 on a MS. Sold all VSE skill afterwards, and I cannot say it was worth it.

But maybe since then repair skill gain was nerfed too, as it was on Carabok.

Have a great mentor so it is not that, just trying to do my own research also. I would not be much of a disciple if I would put all the weight of my learning on my mentor would I?

:)

General rule of thumb is ped cycled = skills gained.
Obviously there are other variables in that equation, but those are the major ones.

Unfortunately if you want to skill faster (graduation depends on skill gain) then you need to spend more faster.
Or be content with doing it at your own pace...... It is a sandbox :)

gl,

narfi

edit afterthought:

Cycling faster does not have to mean depositing more.
It just means that you need pump more ammo, drop more probes/amps, click more tt through the machine.
It is up to you to figure out how to do that on whatever budget you decide, some people deposit heavily and muscle through any loss they get, others have to be alot more careful to find activities they can cycle while still bringing in lots of markup to cover losses.

Roger that, makes sense of course.

Tho I saw a discussion today where a guy claimed mining was very bad for progress to graduation as that did not give as much "return" in % per PED that hunting did. Don't know if he had a point or just personal view, so that was a bit of the reason why I wrote this.

What I currently do is my runs of hunting and mining.

IIRC, graduating requires skilling up a set amount in a specific activity (your choice of those listed in the disciple info). By splitting your peds/time into two separate activities, you are making graduating 4X longer. (1/2 the money, 1/2 the time)

Pick one. Focus all your ped/time into that one specific activity. If you hunt, use the same weapon type (laser rfle, blp pistol, or whatever). If you mine, do only ore or enamtter, not both.

When you graduate, you can go back to your regularly scheduled enjoyment.

IIRC, graduating requires skilling up a set amount in a specific activity (your choice of those listed in the disciple info). By splitting your peds/time into two separate activities, you are making graduating 4X longer. (1/2 the money, 1/2 the time)

Pick one. Focus all your ped/time into that one specific activity. If you hunt, use the same weapon type (laser rfle, blp pistol, or whatever). If you mine, do only ore or enamtter, not both.

When you graduate, you can go back to your regularly scheduled enjoyment.

I am just going off memory as well, but I am pretty sure that is not true in the new system.
I think it is total skill gains in the set list.

Roger that, makes sense of course.

Tho I saw a discussion today where a guy claimed mining was very bad for progress to graduation as that did not give as much "return" in % per PED that hunting did. Don't know if he had a point or just personal view, so that was a bit of the reason why I wrote this.

If you want to graduate on a budget, hunting is the fastest way to go. Progress is a lot slower in mining/crafting then in hunting.

I am just going off memory as well, but I am pretty sure that is not true in the new system.
I think it is total skill gains in the set list.

As may be. I still believe focusing on a single task will increase graduating speed.

I had a desciple graduate in 4 days.
Cost was around 300 ped skilling repair on a MS.

If you pick mining, you will have to cycle at least 20k ped unamped in order to graduate (dropping ore and enm). This could cost you anywhere from 500 ped to zero ped loss (after selling ores for good MU) and months worth of your time. I recommend trying all the different professions to see what they're like and then focus on something other than mining... if your goal is to graduate in a reasonable time. MA treats disciple miners as second-class citizens compared to hunters (support cases, questions to Ask Mindark forum have all gone unanswered). The only way to make mining progress go faster would be to amp FOMA but I would not recommend doing that because your potential ped loss is much greater. If you just want to mine... I recommend forking over 40-100 ped for a set of adj musca or adj pixie and forget about graduating.

Repair skilling leads to crafting, which most newbies should keep away from until they have more experience, so I don't recommend that unless your goal in the game is crafting or of course if you have a job as a repairer on board a mothership.

So... to graduate, I recommend hunting punies with the highest "level number" you can find.

Last edited:
do every mission (that you can do) that gives anatomy.

when I was disciple I used to hunt punys near PA, it gave me 10% progress each day and costs were very low. Skill gains were much higher than on bigger mobs. Though it can be boring to do just this one thing :)

hi, its probably taking u ages cause u already have relatively high Anatomy/Engineering/Geology skills to begin with compared to a 1st day ava. Just grind as much as you can, at the moment I would advise hunting, or what ever you find you get the best avg TT returns. Hell healing for decay would be ideal.

Just grind it out :)

*faints with shock* :laugh:

I'll give you a hint here: Sweating doesn't give you anatomy, engineering or geology skills. Neither does hanging out at the small rig.

Hunting gives anatomy. So does fapping btw, so one thing you could do is ask if one of the soc guys will let you tag along as a fapper. You can even ask for a share of loot on team-settings for doing this, which would suit your extreme low budget :silly2:

Mining gives geology - but what most forget is that extracting any finds can also give engineering skills, and that helps.

Crafting gives engineering, but so does vehicle repairs. Vehicle repairing in space can be a fairly quick way to graduate, but there's a cost in welding wire and repair tools. If that interests you though, you could ask Cyph, Blu or Sakuba to take you along on their ships - or ask Fishface to help find you a place on another ship if the soc guys ships don't suit your gametime.

Talk to me ingame though, hon. I've never pressed you to graduate, you play a bit different to most and I've always felt that it's more important for a disciple to be having fun in their gameplay while learning about EU than to reach some arbitrary goal in a hurry. :wise:

Serica, you never been anything more than a superb mentor and a good friend. So don't worry, don't feel any pressure to graduate. I do tho would like to do it for myself but also to give you a lil reward for all the patience you had listening to my "grand plans" etc in game. Of course the mentor reward will be no where near what it should be rewarded with :)

But, next goal is to get those puny missions and see if I can put 200 ped into ammo and we see how the results is from that.

I have also thought about that FAP thing, but as I heal so little I thought its kind of pointless for you serious players.

Cheers all for your input, good stuff coming in!

hi, its probably taking u ages cause u already have relatively high Anatomy/Engineering/Geology skills to begin with compared to a 1st day ava. Just grind as much as you can, at the moment I would advise hunting, or what ever you find you get the best avg TT returns. Hell healing for decay would be ideal.

Just grind it out :)

The progress is a certain chip-value, ie. for example 5.00 PED Anatomy. It doesn't matter therefor if you start with 0 Anatomy or 10.000, it will costs you the same to gain 5.00 PED.
A beginner will get more skills on Punies then an Über, but overall there's no difference. I'm graduating myself as a level 35+ player and it goes fairly well.

Derid: just take your time. I've seen too many others getting Coolness in a year, posting 1.5 year later "Finally, I unlocked Combat Sense!" only to logout forever three monts later, because they're burned up with 'slow progress' and 'bad return' and 'no Über for the last feckring two weeks'.

Just to add to this discussion, I've monitored disciple progress with the completion of missions that gave Anatomy reward, but in both instances there was no Skill Progress increase for the disciple after receiving the mission reward.

First example:
"Lure Them Away", Calypso
Unconfirmed Anatomy Skill reward was expected (as per Entropedia)
Anatomy before visiting the mission broker: Trained, 1359
Skill Progress: 57.28%
Anatomy after visiting the mission broker: Trained, 1384

No increase.

Second example:
"IFN Killpoint Challenge: Ostelok Stage 2", Arkadia
1.10PED value Anatomy Skill reward was expected (as per Entopedia)
Anatomy before visiting IFN Terminal: Competent, 1631
Mentoring Skill Progress: 85.97%
Anatomy after visiting IFN Terminal and accepting next stage: Competent, 1784

No increase.

Both of us are little frustrated by this, having been under the impression that completing any missions that gave Anatomy rewards would contribute to disciple Skill Progress. Guess that's not the case?

So, I been playing my normal style now for quite a while and I must say that my progression to graduate is very very slow. What I am trying to figure out now if it is my play style in general that causes this or if I am focusing on the wrong parts.

Can you recommend a good way to get a good pace on my disciple progress?

What I currently do is my runs of hunting and mining. I stack up equal amount of peds for mining and hunting and go out and spend it all. I seldom use a FAP.

Cheers and hopefully someone can point me to some better aspects.

Derid

Hey Derid! I don't know which levels you have, and it all depends a bit on that! For me, I was playing already for quite some time, then I started to graduate, and did so in like 10 days (without excessive 24/7 gaming). My way was: I did the Cornundacauda and Prancer mission (decent spawn N of PA, just N of the lake and outpost there). These mobs seem to give plenty of the skills required for the Graduation. I also think, the lower the levels (so the younger you are in game), the faster you can potentially graduate, as skill progress is rather fast at low levels because you can use noob-guns with SIB without loosing PEDs en masse.

So, and I saw this advice in some posts before: Just do these lower-lvl missions (if you still have to do them), and choose like Anatomy as reward. Focus on one profession during graduation (I did the hunting one). Then you should be graduated in no time.

Funny note at the end: I graduated upon revival, after some stupid Prancer kicked my a** to nirvana. Only later I figured why: It seems that when you die you get some smallish skill gain (most likely Anatomy) ... voila, here we go LOL. Was fun though: Revival then the big popup that I graduated!

Good luck there. And sure you will appreciate your personal set of shiny adjusted pixie armor soon!!!

-Starbuck-

Last edited:
Just to add to this discussion, I've monitored disciple progress with the completion of missions that gave Anatomy reward, but in both instances there was no Skill Progress increase for the disciple after receiving the mission reward.

First example:
"Lure Them Away", Calypso
Unconfirmed Anatomy Skill reward was expected (as per Entropedia)
Anatomy before visiting the mission broker: Trained, 1359
Anatomy after visiting the mission broker: Trained, 1384

No increase.

Second example:
"IFN Killpoint Challenge: Ostelok Stage 2", Arkadia
1.10PED value Anatomy Skill reward was expected (as per Entopedia)
Anatomy before visiting IFN Terminal: Competent, 1631
Anatomy after visiting IFN Terminal and accepting next stage: Competent, 1784

No increase.

Both of us are little frustrated by this, having been under the impression that completing any missions that gave Anatomy rewards would contribute to disciple Skill Progress. Guess that's not the case?

It takes a while (up to 5 mins?) for the % to update, my disciple graduated thanks to the ostelok stage 2 mission.

EDIT: but that was 4 months ago or so, so maybe that has changed.

Wow, that's interesting, indeed! Maybe something got nerfed along the way? I am sure I had progress, a lot actually, by choosing the right mission reward during graduation. But then, this was more than a year ago. Also, I already thought back then that this way one could potentially graduate in a very short time, so was confused why mission rewards counted towards graduation.

Anyway, thanks Steveyno for the update on that point! Seems really that this got "fixed" :(

-Starbuck-

CORRECTION!

Apologies for misleading anyone but after logging back in to the game my disciple reports Skill Progress jump to 98%.

So, it appears the Mission rewards do in fact contribute to Mentorship progress, but may not show us straight away.

Thanks to Harmony for pointing out that there may be a delay. Indeed there is!

Back