SOCIAL UI - Serious Analysis

j0k3r

Old
Mark The JOKER Piripower
hi

i open this thread to post screenshots from the new social UI and to analyze the good/bad things.

... and i will start with the most useless and worse thing:

The RED GLOBAL MESSAGES above the chat-window

global_message.jpg

this image has 540px width ... that means, that if you have a resolution of 1680px, it takes 31% of your whole screen width - whow
what are these messages good for when you even can´t see the full message? sorry, but who designs/programs such things? when i implement a design, tool, code, programm whatever i want to - no, I HAVE TO see what i´ve done. who took a look at this and said "perfect, release it" ... message is behind the chat window, you can´t see the earned peds and you don´t have even the chance to change that? i really would love to get an answer on that ... seriously. i´m self employeed since over 12 years now, if this is not a bug, i would fire this guy who designed/coded that.

stay tuned, more to come ... bad and also good ones ...

Chat colours & font size.....

Missing white chat......

more to come.....

its fucking shit...

more to come....

nah seriously, I like what they are trying to do but its just the way they have done it. They got rid of some things I loved and made a solid simple interface, awkward, and very ugly and cluttery.

I do want the new functionality like creating channels, offline messaging and stickys etc.. there are a lot of good stuff in there dont get me wrong, but for every good idea there is some rubbish.

What I am really interested in is how brand new players find it, ones who havent seen the old. Cause if they like it and take to it then I will shut my mouth immediately and accept it.

I do miss the old notifications in the little box.. and my ava name above my head when i wanna see how it displays to others

Last edited:
background of chat - please give a option to change colour or make it black.

And yes..the red msg bar is totally useless - let me disable this.

hi

i open this thread to post screenshots from the new social UI and to analyze the good/bad things.

... and i will start with the most useless and worse thing:

The RED GLOBAL MESSAGES above the chat-window

global_message.jpg

this image has 540px width ... that means, that if you have a resolution of 1680px, it takes 31% of your whole screen width - whow
what are these messages good for when you even can´t see the full message? sorry, but who designs/programs such things? when i implement a design, tool, code, programm whatever i want to - no, I HAVE TO see what i´ve done. who took a look at this and said "perfect, release it" ... message is behind the chat window, you can´t see the earned peds and you don´t have even the chance to change that? i really would love to get an answer on that ... seriously. i´m self employeed since over 12 years now, if this is not a bug, i would fire this guy who designed/coded that.

stay tuned, more to come ... bad and also good ones ...

Seriously put some more time and effort into it.

It's possible to change colors of each chat, its also possible to disable certain chats to avoid spam, and the red globals messages can be cleary seen when u choose the "auto fade" option, i gave u the hint now go look for it yourself.

Overall great overhaul!

PS. just because u didn't get a guide doesn't mean it's crap, figure it out.

something like this.

interface.jpg

Last edited:
  • Make Main and System tabs removable, let people have on screen only what they really want.
  • Replace ugly and unmovable Message Center's and Contacts' buttons with standard buttons from action library, or make a panel similar to the Action Set panel in the top-left corner, with digits in the center to display amount of messages (click on the digits invokes Message Center) and a little button to open Contacts.
  • Simplify MC, there's no need for huge buttons at the top, let people toggle the desired alerts the way you show and hide channels in the chat windows.
  • Seriously consider to abandon this embossed style from MMOs of 90's and go back to the elegant flat design of the old chat and the radar area.

I tried autofade and its too distracting / hard to read.

I agree it needs alot of work, and the stupid red global bar needs to be the first to go (or at least moveable/toggle on/off)

in the interim, I have done this which covers up the red nicely

ps I am in 1024x mode, so the red covers up almost half of my darned screen - good thing not all of it is clickable

untitled-1.jpg

I tried autofade and its too distracting / hard to read.

I agree it needs alot of work, and the stupid red global bar needs to be the first to go (or at least moveable/toggle on/off)

in the interim, I have done this which covers up the red nicely

ps I am in 1024x mode, so the red covers up almost half of my darned screen - good thing not all of it is clickable

untitled-1.jpg

I can agree there should be a option to enable/disable the red global window if some don't like the visual look of it, personally with the window faded it looks like a great new feature.

I can agree there should be a option to enable/disable the red global window if some don't like the visual look of it, personally with the window faded it looks like a great new feature.

if I could turn off the borders/buttons of the window but not have it actually fade I would be happy.

Looks "very nice" on a 1366/768 laptop screen also :)

More to the point:
There is no use of most new functions, its all buggy, looks like made by a child who really liked coloring, and is in fact.. crapy... Just like the:
messed up background
unreadable font in chat
very tiring colors
distracting colors of the window names (f*ing orange...)

About the red bar:
My first thought (and as I saw on other threads, not only mine alone), is that the ability to disable that annoying crap will be given to premium accounts or will not be free in some way, just like the useless voice chat, which you have to subscribe to and pay money for.

a great new feature.

People for years asked to make hof messages hideable - instead MA made them a dominant element of UI! I might be interested in seeing hofs of my friends to congratulate them, but what the point for me to see what people I don't know loot from mobs I don't hunt?!

Yes, I perfectly understand the real purpose of that ticker, and that angers me even more. As someone said in other thread, no other service forces their paid users to watch ads.

Yes, I perfectly understand the real purpose of that ticker, and that angers me even more. As someone said in other thread, no other service forces their paid users to watch ads.
Let's see...
- TV
- RADIO
- Newspapers
- Trade magazines
- All MPAA (and their mafia relatives) "owned" DVD's and BR's.

I could go on, but did you spot a pattern here? It's all one-way media, and all are monopolies in one form or another.

Food for thought; could this be how MA views the ones putting food on their tables?

Let's see...

Ok, I forgot that the world is too big :ahh: Now I remember that I've read about mandatory TV licensing in some countries, but TV/Radio I know are either free with commercials, or paid and completely free of any.

Perhaps I should have limited my analogy to online services. That only confirms that MA stuck in the era of offline media.

Ok, I forgot that the world is too big :ahh: Now I remember that I've read about mandatory TV licensing in some countries, but TV/Radio I know are either free with commercials, or paid and completely free of any.

Perhaps I should have limited my analogy to online services. That only confirms that MA stuck in the era of offline media.

Maybe in other areas TV is free with commercials or paid without them, but in North America (Canada and US anyway, dunno about Mexico) The cable company makes you pay and ALSO feeds you commercials every 10 minutes. Hurray for freakin' capitalism :broke:

I have been unable to chat since the new UI. Yes, I have gone to options and checked and unchecked main chat focus. I know how things work. The problem is, when I attempt to type into ANY chat, that channel disappears from chat for a few minutes. No one can see my chat in any tab or channel and my whispers using either option does not get through. I can only use the in game mail system. I am wondering if I am the only one that is affected by this or not?

I have been unable to chat since the new UI.
Max, while I haven't seen that problem, I have seen a multitude of other issues, including (but not limited to):
- Impossibility to reply to a mail.
- A(/the?) System tab stopping updating after a short while after you turn off System in the main tab.
- Displaying local time when hitting 'U', but still claiming it's System Time (which is to be UTC).

I think this is an Alpha-release of the messaging system (it's not feature-complete, and it's sure as hell not solid).

Idea to try: right click a m8 in the 'J' list, select Friend->Message (or whatever it's called nowadays).

Sidenote: If it says "Whisper" I claim MA are freaks, I don't want to go around "whispering" into my "friends" ears like some dirty bastard. What's next? "Lick ear"? "Quick-fuck and run away"? Yuck. If some other sick MMO's call a PM "whisper" that's their problem, but taking that perverted shit into EU is just wrong. EU is by ToS and EULA for adults, not children.

Society chat is blue on blue, I don't like it, can we have a way to change the background please? (I'll change it back to black)

(Yes I know the text colour can be changed, but I've been here 8 years and I like the old colours to be how they used to be)

ive had a littel "1" on my message center for hours.. cant find the message tho to get rid of it.. :scratch2: remember back in the day when it was completely intuitive and immediately obvious and accessible.. :rolleyes:

edit: ok it wasnt that hard.. but to find it i had to filter out all other message types then click ok, then un filter again..

really dont see why the message center and the other one cant just be normal tiles like the rest..? anyway, will quit complaining now, im not happy with it basically thats my personal opinion, but I cant change it so will just try and make do :(

Last edited:
ive had a littel "1" on my message center for hours.. cant find the message tho to get rid of it.. :scratch2: remember back in the day when it was completely intuitive and immediately obvious and accessible.. :rolleyes:

I've got a "3" and I hope none of them are important, seems to get filled with global spam.

thanks for that.

Society chat is blue on blue
ROFL! In context of what "Blue on Blue" generally means, i.e. "Friendly Fire" (disregarding the oxymoron), and me writing that thing about "whispering"... Bad choice of colors. ;>
"Blue on Blue, DON'T SHOOT!"

That said, it indeed needs a little better color-setup than it currently has.

Both bg and fg color shall be a user-setting. Bg shall be per tab (perhaps even a "Default bg color for new tab"?), while fg shall be per channel.
Agreed?
Agreed. :)

anyway, will quit complaining now, im not happy with it basically thats my personal opinion, but I cant change it so will just try and make do :(
Actually, I think this is one of the few times you can make your voice heard.

This is an alpha-version, and I can't image MA not listening very closely to feedback during this period.
(If they have already set the current design in stone they'd all be larger idiots than I thought possible)

They are on the right path, but they need help and feedback.

I've got a "3" and I hope none of them are important, seems to get filled with global spam
You can turn off the globals spam (in the Message Center list). It's the right-most filter button (in the group of 4-5 at the top of the list) IIRC. Made a world of difference. Taking the list from "completely useless" to "Hey, this could become useful!".

++luck;

I have been unable to chat since the new UI. Yes, I have gone to options and checked and unchecked main chat focus. I know how things work. The problem is, when I attempt to type into ANY chat, that channel disappears from chat for a few minutes. No one can see my chat in any tab or channel and my whispers using either option does not get through. I can only use the in game mail system. I am wondering if I am the only one that is affected by this or not?

There are many that have this problem. Myself and most of my Soc. mates have this "random" issue and one can only communicate thru the mail system. I am tired of re-logging every 15 min because that's the only sure fix I have found.

Taking this chat interface from "completely useless" to "Hey, this could become useful!".

++luck;

Appreciate the help, and fixed it for you ;)

With the required fixes, I can see the improvements, shame its obvious no one who plays Entropia regularly was able to offer feedback before the rollout.

Offline chat is the one big bonus I do appreciate but I actually dont want to log in with the chat interface as it is now (sad but true :( )

Hope the rough edges can be knocked out with the playerbase feedback that is all over this forum.

figured out some bugs already.

its hard to use if no clue where to click.
and no anonymity on auction sucks !!

beside this here loads of screenies.

gl all wiht new buggy system :D

• Make Main and System tabs removable, let people have on screen only what they really want.
  • Replace ugly and unmovable Message Center's and Contacts' buttons with standard buttons from action library, or make a panel similar to the Action Set panel in the top-left corner, with digits in the center to display amount of messages (click on the digits invokes Message Center) and a little button to open Contacts.
  • Simplify MC, there's no need for huge buttons at the top, let people toggle the desired alerts the way you show and hide channels in the chat windows.
  • Seriously consider to abandon this embossed style from MMOs of 90's and go back to the elegant flat design of the old chat and the radar area.

+1
it looks like some eighties amiga stuff
that text background not ony is dark grey that also has texture is clode to demented; makes it very hard to read text

could we please have /l and other prefixes back? now i dont have time to write / l /pos in 10s if i die
and why force me to read dmg messages just to see ma time? (U)

also show/hide globals or any other stream should show/hide both before and after selection

As above, see below.

Seriously put some more time and effort into it.

It's possible to change colors of each chat, its also possible to disable certain chats to avoid spam, and the red globals messages can be cleary seen when u choose the "auto fade" option, i gave u the hint now go look for it yourself.

Overall great overhaul!

PS. just because u didn't get a guide doesn't mean it's crap, figure it out.
something like this.

interface.jpg

This is the problem with VU's from MA. They give very little assistance, if any at all, on many new items. We are forced to figure it out, getting more and more frustrated, when things would go much better and smother with assistance from the team making the changes. And with a total overhaul of the main communication method in game, this is something that warrants assistance from Dev's about it's use. I've never seen so many threads about a single new feature from a VU (most are negative). Its just ridiculous how were to jump through hoops trying to figure out, mostly on our own what they intended to implement and improve

The hearts next to friends.... that sucks! EVERYONE in my soc is a friend, so everyone in that channel has a heart. Seems stupid and redundant.

Back