Help: Unable to update for several days now

tbarmike

Old
Society
Omerta
Papa TbarMike Smurf
I started the client loader after this most recent mini-patch VU 14.6.1.1 was released, yet the download never completed. I re-tried numerous times to complete the download.

Sometimes the client loader would appear, other times it would not. Every time would get an error report. Either I "Could not connect to the update server." or "An error occurred when trying to download a file."

I am also unable to download a new installer. Furthermore, I am unable to file a support case. I can access the site, yet when I submit, I am asked to log in again.

After Three days of trying to update, I was able to download about half (48%) of the update before it stopped. Subsequent tries stated that the version.txt did not match and asked to repair, which again, failed because It could not connect to the update server.

I have searched numerous threads here and on other forums, and tried many things to resolve this.

I have run the client loader as administrator, changed the entropia .exe to run as administrator (32 and 64 bit).
I have updated my router firmware, and confirmed that the appropriate ports were forwarded to my pc.
I can access and download from other sites, and my home network is working fine.
I have double checked my firewall and antivirus for any abnormalities.
I have rolled back my windows updates a couple months.
I have tried updating EU on an older (less used) pc with no success.

Pinging www.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.222] and login.planetcalypso.com [178.23732.22] timed out with no reply whatsoever. A tracert of those two servers stops somewhere along the way.

Pingplotter (great tool btw) shows that my path to these two MA servers ends after [77.67.72.66], which I believe is either in Germany or Amsterdam.

(Interestingly, a mistype of pinging login.entropiauniverse.com [94.31.61.11] does get a reply.)

One pattern I've noticed in other similar threads is that sometimes the problem resolves itself, presumably after a problematic server gets reset, allowing traffic through again. I have been hoping for this, but so far is has not happened (or perhaps that isn't the problem). I continue to hope that Monday will cause someone to realize that there possibly is a problem, and call the right person to fix it.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do. It has been three days, so I now turn to the forum for help.

If anyone can offer any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

i had the same problem,i unistall and install again and my problem was solved.

I did try uninstalling and then installing from an old installer (from last September), yet the same problem remains.

EU installs fine, yet the client loader cannot update to the latest version.

The timing of this is incredible, as I have the next ten days off, and the house to myself. Perhaps this is a test of patience :)

edit: I also cleaned the registry with ccleaner after uninstalling.

Last edited:
old installer?, i download and install the laters in entropia website.

Would that I could get myself the latest installer.

I am also unable to download a new installer. Furthermore, I am unable to file a support case. I can access the site, yet when I submit, I am asked to log in again.

Though I am not sure that it would make a difference.

Edit: I appreciate the input :)

(Interestingly, a mistype of pinging login.entropiauniverse.com [94.31.61.11] does get a reply.)

99% problem is your router.

i dont know reallywhat you internet type you are using, if you want i will consult you in pm.

problem appears in some DSL routers (if you use Pirelli)
or some d-link and tp-link routers.

so if you need help, pm me with your information and i will help, but at first trye to restart your router and clean all update files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe , there is some when not installed and completed.

ok, saw your problem in other thread.

I had the same problem as you and I solved it by using a VPN. Then disconnected with VPN and able to play as usual.

So find a VPN to finish the downloading if you want to get back to Eu asap.:)

Last time I had problems getting the thing to download (as administrator) setting the windows AUC to lowest possible helped. Weird but it worked to get it installed again.

I had the same problem as you and I solved it by using a VPN. Then disconnected with VPN and able to play as usual.
That was my thought too, that "The Great Firewall of China" was interfering.

Had the same problem on laptop, all was fine updating desktop comp, notice that both computers use same network. Desktop is vista, laptop is win8. Anyway every patch the laptop gets an error while updating, this was simpli fixed by deleting entrtopia.exe from bin32 folder, then the game sayed installation is corrupt and repaired, and with repair downloaded new stuff and was updated this way.

However after the social ui update even that didnt work anymore, had to copy several files from desktop entrtopia universe to lappy, and that made it work. For me it seems to be the matter with win8, even tho running as admin, tried several diff compaility modes and still fails to update normally.

Last edited:
hahaha, I finally got a support case through.

After going into detail on the forum, I kept my support case short. I didn't want to overwhelm then with details that were unimportant (or worse, misleading). Apparently, I kept it too short.:dunce:

I wrote that "Since VU 14.6.1.1 was released, I have been unable to update the client loader."
(and went on to explain that it took over three hours to download a new installer using a download manager.)

They replied "Please open the client launcher so it can update"

Apparently the implication that I have tried was missed

Looks like I'll be spending my vacation, not playing (or depositing). I sure hope that the update servers aren't blocked in my area indefinitely. It simply would be impossible to have a version of EU placed under cultural oversight for my region (new servers, etc...).

For now, I still hope and try. Any further suggestions are still welcome :)

edit: It may not be blocked, as I still get a trickle - ~10kB/s. Though there is still too much packet loss, and the launcher stops trying after a while.

I wish there was a built in download manager in the launcher.

Edit 2: Moved the dunce hat to where it belonged

Last edited:
edit: It may not be blocked, as I still get a trickle - ~10kB/s. Though there is still too much packet loss, and the launcher stops trying after a while.
Right. If the correct pattern of packets get lost, even on a TCP stream, it will go to hell.

If all else fails, even I could kick up a http-server where I place compressed versions of the files you need, but that seems like a *really* far-fetched "solution" to a wicked networking issue.

IFF there is a DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) router along the path, it could simply be it drops packets at random when it gets overwhelmed - but that's just speculation.

Best would be if MA created an optional torrent with each full release. That way you'd at most be screwed out of n*piece_size. Optionally they'd post md5 (and other checksums) of each of the official files, so users can verify they actually got the right file, even if not from the official source.

++luck;

Holler if all else fails and we'll get you going in at most an hour.

Check to see if it's the packet size / mtu.

ping login.entropiauniverse.com -f -l 1492

reducing the 1492 until it works reliably and doesn't split the packet. At work I have to drop it to 1472 i.e. normal internet mtu. Unfortunately the ping to the update server fails completely.

You can then change your network adapter to the value.

change your mtu under vista windows 7 or windows 8/

I used to have to do this to my very first dsl router to get any traffic without serious packet loss.

With my last three routers I've not had to do this.

First off, thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions.

I was finally able to complete the update (though I have no idea what exactly the problem was. I tried many things).

Then I had to re-download the dynamic content, as I had forgotten to back it up when I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows. :duh:

I took me over 52 hours to download that (and for some reason I was never able to finish Next Island and Ancient Greece ~83 mb left).

At last, I could play again :yay: wheeee.

Then, I ran repair, to see if I could sort out the issues with NI not completing. To my horror, it deleted EVERYTHING in my public_users_data folder, including all of the dynamic content.

(still hadn't backed it up, :dunce:)

So here I sit again wondering what happened. Why did it delete everything???

I had 'cannot connect to update server' after today's patch.

Could be sorted with dropping all notifications in UAC (very much not recommended setting).

For very long time (many VUs) I had no issues with updating till today. Same settings in Windows.

This means that MA does not code updates consistently.
In the end this might be harmful for game, as we can lose some new players who will not look/find solution.

That might have been because the single update server had reached it's maximum allowed number of connected users.

That might have been because the single update server had reached it's maximum allowed number of connected users.

Highly unlikely.
I had this issue 3,5 hours after update was made available.
If it was right after servers went back, then yes this could be slightly possible, but very optimistic (huge number of players).

Back