Entropedia down again?

Status
For contingency reasons, does anyone have any data sets to provide in case of such an event that we need to reconstruct? I dont mind putting in the time... just would like to salvage the item dataset at least.

To be fair entropedia is a very useful resource for all of us and am sure if witte ever wants people to contribute , most of us would be glad to do so. However, when real life gets busy or for whatever reasons entropia gets a lower priority for someone, am sure so does entropedia. I dont think the entropedia domain is owned by witte ( i could be wrong here) , and i personally think that if someone ( be it longtime or anyone else who would want to volunteer) takes up the cause, there is no reason to bash him/her for getting the job done.

To be fair though I am not sure this issue should be discussed on the forum and it should be taken up privately between the concerned individuals. I am all for getting entropedia working again, be it with either witte , longtime or anyone else as long as they are technically qualified. I think serica had a thread somewhere too asking for volunteers who were qualified and i dont think anyone who could handle the website stood up. So if longtime is willing to do the job , I would rather thank him then throw pitchforks :)

Divinity

PS : It would be gr8 if the donations towards entropedia can be done in peds , as not everyone wants to/uses paypal.

Last edited:
PS : It would be gr8 if the donations towards entropedia can be done in peds , as not everyone wants to/uses paypal.

Agreed... I won't use Paypal for anything.

You can meet Witte in game and give him as many PEDs as you want.

You can meet Witte in game and give him as many PEDs as you want.

He doesn't play.

And to Deth's point about a thread from Serica... I unfortunately wasn't there then.. but I am here now.

To answer some points posted above:
1. Witte holds the entropiawiki.com domain name, and is the owner of the site.
2. The site is hosted by 711.

For over a year, I've been trying to facilitate the continued administration and progression of Entropedia, as it became clear the Witte no longer has the time to continue development himself. Late last year he agreed to consider having someone else take over the development, and I posted a thread to that effect here on pcf (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ou-have-the-skills-to-help-develop-Entropedia)
Siniko, who is a fulltime self-employed software developer, has been in direct contact with Witte since early March, discussing possible takeover of the site admin/development role.
Witte has given Siniko a backup of the code and the database, and Siniko also has the server password, which has enabled him to get the site going again the last couple of times it's gone down.
As far as I know though, Siniko cannot yet make any change to the site code, and so can't fix the broken tables etc.
Witte seems to be heavily involved in RL work atm - he mentioned he would be working away from home for some time - and Siniko has mentioned the difficulty of maintaining contact with him.

As I've already said to atomicstorm in pm: Siniko and I are in touch via skype, and usually he responds very quickly to any notes I send him - but he's not responded at all since I let him know 2 days ago that the site was showing an error. It's possible he's just away from his computer for a few days.

It would be useful to catalog what maintenance and development the wiki requires to fully represent all useful information in present-day EU.

Here's the thread.

I can also help in the admin of entropedia if necessary. I am a full-time SW developer, also administrator for a number of web servers at my work.

Also, I am the developer of the Android app Entropia Information, which relies on entropedia for data. (And one of the top contributors of data to entropedia, as username hedgehog)

While developing that app, I downloaded many of the XML format data sets, and have them if any one wants them. Some are a bit out of date (maybe 6 months in some cases), but they will show you the data structures.

I tried contributing to Witte through his paypal link but I don't think the payment was ever picked up.

Anyone who wants to contact me about the admin of entropedia - please do so.

Last edited:
I have been unable to contact any of the Entropedia admins since the site went down two days ago.

However I logged in to the server to check things out and was able to get the site back up and running for the moment.

Nice one, ty! :D

Getting page error right on entry.
See I already miss JC.....was a few days ago,but I blew it off, maybe my computer..ugh Thanks for help and info Serica. lol Good lord.

Last edited:
double post..:D

Last edited:
This this is helpful?

Glad I am not trying to find a mission! :laugh:

The site is up and working normally as far as I can see.

If you're getting an error, can you please either give a full description (or post a screenie), as otherwise I can't let 711 or Siniko know what they need to fix.

Also, have you tried clearing your browser cache?

The site is up and working normally as far as I can see.

If you're getting an error, can you please either give a full description (or post a screenie), as otherwise I can't let 711 or Siniko know what they need to fix.
It is working fine now,but there was no reason for persons who did not see earlier posts to be replied as such. regards Rose (and I don't mean this post I quoted either) We all know that it goes down and may be a issue with this or that,but we all have to ask.

Last edited:
It is working fine now,but there was no reason for persons who did not see earlier posts to be replied as such. regards Rose (and I don't mean this post I quoted either) We all know that it goes down and may be a issue with this or that,but we all have to ask.

No shame Rose in not knowing and asking for help or guidance:wise: :D

I've got no idea what you're reading into what I said :scratch2:

Yes, entropedia has gone down a few times lately, but fortunately Siniko and 711 have been able to get it running again without Witte - as posted about earlier.

And yes, when someone posts they're getting an error on the site, and it can't be replicated, it strikes me as a bit odd - in indication that the problem might be an issue with the person's own set-up rather than the site itself.

And now you say it's working fine, when nothing on the site has been changed?

I'll go back to cooking dinner then.

Good Lord..Serica was few
days
ago (was wondering if error was my computer) I said..is all fine now..go back to cooking..Good Golly you are helpful. sorry for timeline misunderstanding of problem.

Lets recap: No problem now. WOW

This is very strange but I aquiesce.:scratch2:

Last edited:
Since entropedia seems ok now, and to prevent anyone else thinking there's some current issue...
:locked:

Status
Back