Games just shuts down - Windows 8.1

safara

Mutated
Society
The Disturbed Ones
Angel Spike Sunny
Hi All,

Upgraded PC to run Windows 8 from win xp.

Setting the game to do everything with Windows XP sp3 compatibility seems to work.

But

I can log in - for about 20 seconds. Then the game crashes. Something about out of memory.

My machine is not the newest but should still run the game.

Dual core with 4GB Ram running a Nvidia Geforce GT 640 card with 2GB of Ram. Windows 8.1

The game ran just fine on this machine before when it was XP.

Aside from stipulating that the game should run with old Operating Systems, do you actually have to use old operating systems?

What could be the issue?

Cheers

Upgraded PC to run Windows 8 from win xp.
That could be a matter of opinion.

safara said:
I can log in - for about 20 seconds. Then the game crashes. Something about out of memory.
Try to crank up the pagefile size. A few years ago a minimum of 3GB was needed for the game not to crash constantly for me, and that was in XP 32-bits.

Additionally, I recently found a thread on the 'net about gfx issues in 8.1, where the pagefile usage skyrocketed (until running out of space, and then crashing) if you ran a game, any game, full-screen but not at the same resolution as your desktop. If that's the case, try windowed mode.

safara said:
Aside from stipulating that the game should run with old Operating Systems, do you actually have to use old operating systems?
No.

++luck;

(EDIT: You might want to change the thread title as "shuts down" suggests a controlled shot down of the process, not a crash)

Nvidia Geforce GT 640 card
Your laptop runs with 2 graphic cards the integrated one and Nvidia .....(remember that I told you in other theard to whitelist EU?)
Check if EU application is compatible with Windows 8.1 ( My laptop is Windows 8.1 and EU is compatible with windows XP SP3 on it) (I recommend to test it before clicking ok to run for ever as for windows XP SP3)...
Second thing if your "machine" has a Nvidia Optimus ,make sure EU is whitelist to Nvidia Optimus.....
Update to the last driver for Nvidia ...then whitelist EU to run on Nvidia processor from Nvidia Optimus...

Cheers All - will give the suggestions a go tomorrow :)

I run on Windows 8.1 since summer with no problems whatsoever.
My suggestions:
- loose the compatibility mode (at best set it up manualy to ”previous version” aka Win 7
- better use 64bit Win, it passes over the 3 GB cap of 32 bit :0
- if you use 64bit Win, use the 64 bit client, is stable now
- be sure to have DirectX 9 runtime installed
- there is a trick to increase allocated memory size from BCDEdit (on 32 bit machines, there is a 2GB default max memory allocation to any application soft coded into kernel)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx
(optional) upgrade RAM to 8 GB or better, EU is best known to be a resource eater!

I have lately had crashing problems after TP, or changing planets. Like say landing on Arkadia -> crash, and crash on any further logins. Same with going to underground or leaving underground.

What worked for me was picking safe mode with window, not full screen. Could log in, and then changing to better settings and larger window.

I have lately had crashing problems after TP, or changing planets. Like say landing on Arkadia -> crash, and crash on any further logins. Same with going to underground or leaving underground.

What worked for me was picking safe mode with window, not full screen. Could log in, and then changing to better settings and larger window.

What video card you have?
Nvidia 640 GT (safara pc's) ..mine is Nvidia 740 GT...I buyed new gaming laptop in December because got tired of message "Out of Memory"....At first haved the same problems as Safara...and also didn't know that if I have the settings to run with economic on electricity the game will still run on integrated video card(Intel) and not on Nvidia...

What video card you have?
Nvidia 640 GT (safara pc's) ..mine is Nvidia 740 GT...I buyed new gaming laptop in December because got tired of message "Out of Memory"....At first haved the same problems as Safara...and also didn't know that if I have the settings to run with economic on electricity the game will still run on integrated video card(Intel) and not on Nvidia...

GTX 560. And I don't get out of memory, just a crash. Happened with both previous nvidia drivers and latest 337.50 beta.

GTX 560. And I don't get out of memory, just a crash. Happened with both previous nvidia drivers and latest 337.50 beta.

I got a GTX 560 too, try to update Nvidia as much as possible. With 4GB ram I play on medium settings, windowed mode.

I occasionally get crashes, but everyone does.

Ontopic : Windows 8.1 is still known to have a lot of issues, so the problem might not be with your hardware, just software. What you could try to do is google for help and try to land yourself on programming websites, that way you can sometimes find the perfect solution. People have always been able to tweak a lot in Windows.

Hi all :)

OK, just looking through things.

The whitelisting EU in the Nvidia settings - my nvidia control panel does not have the options shown in the video :(

Directx9 - when I go to Dxdiag it reports that Directx 11 is installed - this needs to be rolled back 2 versions?

My desktop is not 64 bit, so using a 32 bit system.

Why do we have to tweak core system settings etc to get the game to work?

It really is too much like hard work. But then, I suppose I dont want to wait until EU make it compatible.

Hi all :)

OK, just looking through things.

The whitelisting EU in the Nvidia settings - my nvidia control panel does not have the options shown in the video :(

Directx9 - when I go to Dxdiag it reports that Directx 11 is installed - this needs to be rolled back 2 versions?

My desktop is not 64 bit, so using a 32 bit system.

Why do we have to tweak core system settings etc to get the game to work?

It really is too much like hard work. But then, I suppose I dont want to wait until EU make it compatible.
The reason for the 32 bit workaround isn't EU related but rather Microsoft and hardware related. This has been posted on Microsoft site about the 32 bit limitations for some time. The biggest reason for changing to 64 bit.

Sorry not really helping in the op, but rather an explanation of why 32 bit software is sometimes causing people problems. ;)

Edit: here is a better explanation and a fix for the 32bit problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962
a YouTube issue with another fix. I like this one better. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igU-TEw9gmk

Not saying this will ultimately fix your issues, but it could lessen them for sure! ;)

Last edited:
Back