Help: What should a beginning miner use/what skills should they upgrade?

SushiDom828

Hey Everyone, I'm starting off on planet calypso (sweating) but want to go towards the prospector profession. I hope to make a profit off mining so I was looking at buying the following:
F-104 finder from caly
Rock Ripper 1 Excavator from Arkadia
and for the refiner not sure if I should just buy a TT one or if it matters
I was wondering if those were good, economic supplies to buy.
Also, I'm not sure what skills are needed for prospecting/how many points I should put into each skill. Any help would be useful:D

Dont chip in mining,not worth it and it jinx the luck of your avatar on bad side.

That's a limited one. Unless you're going to mine on Arkadia, you won't have reliable supply of them.

For unamped mining, Calypso TT excavator (Genesis Star Earth Excavator ME/01) is fine.

That's a limited one. Unless you're going to mine on Arkadia, you won't have reliable supply of them.
I planned to just fly down their and buy a bunch then just go back when I had to resupply (mining on Caly) would that be too inefficient?

Hey Everyone, I'm starting off on planet calypso (sweating) but want to go towards the prospector profession. I hope to make a profit off mining so I was looking at buying the following:
F-104 finder from caly
and for the refiner not sure if I should just buy a TT one or if it matters
I was wondering if those were good, economic supplies to buy.
Also, I'm not sure what skills are needed for prospecting/how many points I should put into each skill. Any help would be useful:D

ideally you want to work towards using L finders as fast as possible, they are generally a better choice than UL finders.
the rock ripper is great but flying there to get them might effect your economy, try asking someone who already flies there to get them for you for a nominal fee.
skills will come naturally, and especially at the start, extremely fast, no need to buy them unless you have specific goals.

I hear that there are these things called oil rigs somewhere that might make a begging miners job just a tad easier since the oil is actually spewing out of the ground and won't have to be dug up. ;)

depending just how 'beginner' you are, you might try some of the starter missions on various planets. Ark gives you a few probes for free in the starter missions. I think some of the other planets might do similar too.

I'd say just go with your gut. Approach it the way you want. If you follow in other's footsteps you might be forcing yourself in to a path that may hinder your maximum capacity for success (or alternatively lining the pockets of the resellers).

Last edited:
Profitability is not directly related to the equipment. My suggestion, just through experience, is that you use the equipment you get most of your ped for. The Rookie Terramaster, from Ark, is a uL finder that spends less then the other finders by a factor of 10; ie, more searches with less ped.

Most often the least explained and explored in an activity, 'playing' (or running a business), is the float; amount of ped devoted towards a certain activity. For mining it's repairs and probes. Just starting out? ie: less then 2000ped float?; use cheap equipment and cycle float a lot to gain not only skill... but experience.

You need to be starting off by maxing out the depths on the TT finders , then move to 101 , 102 maxing out as you go along .

Once you are maxed on the 105 then unless you want to mine rare ores your pretty much done and the rest is down to your knowledge of areas and luck.

That is how I did it , but there are lots of options now with various L finders that you might want to look at.

PS . Posting in the correct section might help too ;)

rookie terramaster at foma,underground or monria works nicely. Or try the cyrene L rookie finder a.r.c. something it has double the depth of the other rookie finders. Make sure you buy a lot, because they break fast.

Take TT finder than and start mining.When you get lvls for bigger finders start using bigger there is description on info it says are you able to use finder or not ,and lvls recommended for it.

Back