mammatus clouds. are they for real??

Wiki is SOOOOOOOOOO helpful :D

Mammatus cloud
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mammatus (also known as mamma or mammatocumulus) is a meteorological term applied to a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud, often a cumulus or cumulonimbus. Their color is normally a bluish gray, the same as that of the host cloud, but direct illumination from the setting sun and other clouds may cause a gold or reddish cast. Mammatus can persist anywhere from minutes to hours, diffusing and disappearing over time.

Mammatus only occur where cumulonimbus are present; however, they can drift up to 25 miles away from a thunderstorm. The atmosphere must also meet certain conditions, which include a moist and unstable middle to upper atmosphere over a very dry, lower layer of the atmosphere. An updraft then must occur, which shapes the mammatus into the pouch-like shape.

Mammatus clouds tend to form more often during warm months. In the United States, they tend to occur more often over the midwest and eastern portions of the country, though they can and do occur more infrequently over the west and southwest.

Mammatus has often been linked with the occurrence of tornadoes, particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. Though tornadic storms often produce mammatus under their downwind anvil, many weak storms and even stratiform clouds also produce mammatus. Contrary to common misconceptions, mammatus are not precursors to tornadoes, but are a possible byproduct [1].

It is very common for storms producing mammatus clouds also to produce wind shear, and possibly—though less likely—ball lightning; therefore, aviators are strongly cautioned to avoid cumulonimbus with mammatus.

honestly i think i would freak out if i saw something like that lol :umn:

One word: udders! :D

mammatus - mammary

it all makes sense to me... :laugh:

Awesome looking sky in those pics!
Preview of next VU?:silly2::laugh:

* closes curtains in 12km radius, turns lights off, robs a drugstore or two, eats the loot, puts on all clothes in house and runs hiding under the bed *

Last edited:
DarkMatter said:
Wiki is SOOOOOOOOOO helpful :D

Mammatus cloud
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mammatus (also known as mamma or mammatocumulus)

mamma=mother in swedish :rofl: :silly:

wow they are HUGE ... :eek: Looks really heavy too :silly2: Awesome pictures though but imagine if you one morning goes to the window and draw back the curtains and saw that? I would probably think it was the end of the world ...

They are awesome to see. I fly hot air balloons and we're always on the lookout for these because as cool as they are, they usually mean bad weather. I've never seen them on the east coast...only out west, as the Wiki states.

wow

those are the best mammatus clouds i have ever seen. I can see why you would suspect them fake. I live in central texas but i grew up in tornado alley (north texas) and have never seen mammatus as well defined as these before.

mammatus form when there is no jet stream in the top of the storm to 'blow' away the top of the thunderstorm so instead of heat rising up intil it meets the jet stream and is blown away, it rises till it is cooled above the freeze line, then falls slowly until it melts, then rises again, acting in a slow micro scale rotation.

an example of more regularly seen mammatus taken a few weeks ago

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=26444&c=19

Last edited:
sob said:
honestly i think i would freak out if i saw something like that lol :umn:

Gotta agree with Sob on this one!!! :eek:

:girl:

Mmmm yummy looking clouds. :laugh:

Actually at first glance it kinda reminded me of a matress spread. You know the ones that you put over a spring matress to make it softer?

seriously if i see one...ill just faint or run around screaming my head off :scared:

Back