Is it MA that is wrong or you?

dcampelo

Provider
Danandre MrFixit Alexiel
I play entropia since 2009. Been in and out since then, and everytime I was in there's been some players that are regularly ranting about EU. Seldom a positive statement comes out.
Well this Thread is for them.

And before you continue to read let me clarify this: Thread is not about provoking any sleeping dog that might be inside you waiting to get out. So calm down and think before posting any reply.

I'm here to play this game, if I make friends along the way better, but first I'm here to enjoy it - think you're here too for that right?
Can tell you that despite the fact that, I personally, think there are things missing in the game, and despite the feelings I sometimes have towards the game, you never saw me complaining about anything in this forum (search for my old account DACAMPELO).

You know why?
One of the things is because negative attitude attracts negative attitude. Imagine how MA feels about a community that demands things from it, that never acknowledges it's attempts to improve the game? Don't you think MA tries to do the best to achieve their goals? To make EU better?

Also it's important to be aware of, because in the end:
MA is a company, what it wants is to make money.
MA makes and defines the rules that are in EU.
MA decides what to do next.
MA has the power of decision.
MA talks to you only what it wants you to know.
MA defines how loot system should work.
MA decides when something is to be release.

The list goes on... Whatever you may WANT MA to do, it's MA to decide if should or not do. You have no decision power on what MA does.

Despite all this, MA did, and I'm pretty sure they still do, listen to the community for numerous features (the list is huge). They may do it silently, but history shows it.

The only thing we can do is provide insight to MA so it - potentially - may have a better informed decision - referring to the forums, support tickets etc...

Just think about it.

Regards

Last edited:
MA is a company, what it wants is to make money DOT
MA makes and defines the rules that are in EU DOT
MA decides what to do next DOT
MA has the power of decision DOT
MA talks to you only what it wants you to know DOT
MA defines how loot system should work DOT
MA decides when something is to be release DOT

Good heavens! before you spend another penny in EU.. get that full stop button fixed, that must be awfully annoying ;)

That to one side, the thread has far too many contradictions for me to possibly decipher!
(or at least spend the time to decipher)

;)

I am sure you mean well, but jings! You are giving Mr Peezle a run for his money! :eyecrazy:

Good heavens! before you spend another penny in EU.. get that full stop button fixed, that must be awfully annoying ;)

That to one side, the thread has far too many contradictions for me to possibly decipher!
(or at least spend the time to decipher)

;)

I am sure you mean well, but jings! You are giving Mr Peezle a run for his money! :eyecrazy:

:wtg::yay::wtg:

Did you ever have a dream that there could be an online place you could agree to?

You know, a place that might admit you?

I have this dream

Did you ever have a dream that there could be an online place you could agree to?

You know, a place that might admit you?

I have this dream

It's good to have dreams. But, since reality is what this Thread is about we better stick to it :)

Yes.

After 25 years of dreaming and being happy ( sic. ) I agree. But let us not lose the sight.

Progress is not just a word, else we abuse our fellow players.

Depends on what you mean by progress. All ears about that.

Yes, a point well made.

And this is where we have to think and not spam.

How about making Youtube videos of your fun times?

None of you had good times? I have.. 12770 ped . 12000 ped . I never made videos.. I should have.

I think we underestimate our fun and overestimate other people's fun.

Time to Ante up.

Last edited:
I will simply say with some wisdom that if you have a lovely shiny china plate and drop it on the ground, then pick up the pieces and stick it back together again with some glue. Do you still have that same shiny plate decamelo?

Those that sometimes complain, do so because they genuinely care, and for many one tube of glue can last many years before it becomes empty.

With that it's late, and I'm off to bed.

Rick

While generally you're right, the main thing is that this ...uhm... platform is marketed as not just a game, and, in the past, even as not a game at all. When people are constantly being told that they aren't just players but investors, they begin to lay quite different claims than if they'd just play a game.

MindArk and the Calypso Dev team have a MAJOR problem with customer/public relations. They are fully aware that they do not communicate nor make any attempt to communicate with their client base. This lack of communication generates rumors and negativity within this forum. Again this does not worry them either. They also make no attempt to advertise the game.
You may have a good intentions to to be positive about the company running this game, but until MindArk or the Calypso Dev team make an effort, the player base will continue its current path.

I fully agree with OP post
as a friend of mine mentioned just a couple days ago,
Many old accounts - calypso players are behave like spoiled childs.
Also I noticed ppl that have interest for other planets are coming in this forum and complaining (guess why?)
I'm in game for about a year and I can admit this.
The only thing I notice above anything else is a continuing effort from dev's to make this virtual world even better.
That takes time and A LOT of work to achieved.

P.S. if you are bored, lost your initial excitement or you got "emptied" of $$$$ for any reason, that doesn't mean that EU became a bad MMO.

Last edited:
Let me tell you something about how difficult it is not to become either angry, bitter or sad - or even all three together - about the direction the game is taking.
Ultimately there is only one target to vent at and this is MA, when I noticed my postings becoming much too negative I pretty much stopped taking part in the forums so much, only rarely like now I feel I have to speak up.

I joined EU back in 2006 and the gaming aspect was as costly then as it is now. But it is possible to put in a usual monthly amount like in WoW and have good fun. As I just don't play a lot anymore I really can't judge the state of hunting, mining and crafting but these things were also not what made me passionate about EU.

My passion came from the social aspects, the social metagame that was possible and tons of fun.
It was small things, that helped giving EU a unique and vibrant feeling when it came to meeting people.

When I met other players for the first time and they seemed interesting and I wanted to get to know them I often invited them to places I knew, like the small island at Hadesheim or the cafe at Minopolis or the seedy bar at Fort Troy.
I bet there are still good places around, but nowadays I don't like to meet like this anymore because of these reasons:
- I cannot sit down, or lie down anyplace anymore, yes its silly but I don't feel relaxed when my avatar stands around like an idiot
- The avatars are dead quiet, the babbling noise when someone was typing made places feel lively and quiet places quiet and one knew when the other person was about to write something
- The faces may be higher resolution but are pretty dead, its creepy being around other players now

But that was just the entry level of social interactions, the next level were private and then public events.
The above reasons already diminish the enjoyment these events give.
But what makes it even more horrible for me is... well I enjoyed decorating places.
The funny thing is that with the higher resolution and more decorating items it did not become more fun or better.
The biggest turnoff in that regard is that lighting in the different quality settings is completely different, so to make sure things look as they should one would need to check an items impact on the overall look in a room in all settings.

But good decorating would only be icing on the cake, without the vibrant feeling social interaction had the game lost its attraction. What good is it to have a RCE and the mature community that comes along with that (mostly), when one is not able to enjoy that?

Maybe I am wrong... but as customer its my choice to not take part and until the social systems offer a vibrant feeling again, embedded into the 3D realm of the game and making face to face meetings meaningful again its just not interesting at all.
For IRC I can use IRC, for voice chat I can use Mumble... yes offline PMs are neat, but all the improvements to the message systems are meaningless when the ultimate goal is just a team hunt. When meeting others is pointless, then the messaging systems serve not much purpose.

I will lurk in the shadows... waiting for the game to maybe become better again in these regards.
Maybe selling off some of my stuff now and then, always remembering the old times fondly and now and then trying if things become fun again.

Isn't it natural to become zynic and bitter if you just stick long enough around a game ?
I had other games than entropia and its the same everywhere. The mood is nothing really special around PCF compared to other places. Yes back in 2005 it was completly different, i enjoyed that time, but as time progress change happen and people always join with expectations about the bright future and the progress of a game as whole and get caught by reality at one point.

All this negativity isn't really linked to EU being a RCE , its more like EU is a place thats well researched and there isn't much room for breathtaking discoverys , wild running immaginations and exploration anymore. Whatever you figure out, someone else found it before you and probably wrote a wiki article over it. Thats why the vibrant feeling is gone imho.

Also, the way people interact and network has changed over the last decade. 2005 i found it easy to meet new people, make friends and share time together. Today i find it very hard to make friends, to build up trust and share anything at all. While i made a lot of decesions back up from my stomach i overthink too much today before i act. Maybe thats a part of getting older, i really dislike it but i can't help it.

This is all connected why there is negativity on PCF and why people complain about EU and its hard for mindark to counter it because some sides of that negativity is more a social problem before its a problem related to EU.

Edited the initial post to be more light I hope. Was a bit "ranty" myself yesterday. :ahh:

Cheers

Yes, a point well made.

And this is where we have to think and not spam.

How about making Youtube videos of your fun times?

None of you had good times? I have.. 12770 ped . 12000 ped . I never made videos.. I should have.

I think we underestimate our fun and overestimate other people's fun.

Time to Ante up.

Fun has a price. And believe it or not, there are actually those that have fun by not spending any money :)

I will simply say with some wisdom that if you have a lovely shiny china plate and drop it on the ground, then pick up the pieces and stick it back together again with some glue. Do you still have that same shiny plate decamelo?

Those that sometimes complain, do so because they genuinely care, and for many one tube of glue can last many years before it becomes empty.

I tell you a small story - which will provide insight on my personal perspective and with some, small, but some wisdom. Once upon a time there were a couple, that in their youth decided to build a home for them to live. The house was small, yet enough for both to live on. After a year their first child is born, and they start to think in adding a new division to the house, but then realized that they would like to have more children in the future. It was then that they decided to add two divisions and not just one to the house. They searched the price of adding two divisions to the house and just for comparison they also checked the price of building a house with much more divisions. They were amazed that due to some constraints in the house they originally built the price of adding two divisions was almost the same as building a new house with multiple divisions. And since they were planing their future and could afford it, they decided to build the new house.

While generally you're right, the main thing is that this ...uhm... platform is marketed as not just a game, and, in the past, even as not a game at all. When people are constantly being told that they aren't just players but investors, they begin to lay quite different claims than if they'd just play a game.

That I always assumed to be just a fancy marketing campaign. Could be wrong though

MindArk and the Calypso Dev team have a MAJOR problem with customer/public relations. They are fully aware that they do not communicate nor make any attempt to communicate with their client base. This lack of communication generates rumors and negativity within this forum. Again this does not worry them either.

Can you be more specific. On what matter you think MA should be more open?

They also make no attempt to advertise the game.

That is not true, I saw some ads regarding EU in some MMO related websites.

You may have a good intentions to to be positive about the company running this game, but until MindArk or the Calypso Dev team make an effort, the player base will continue its current path.

Attempts on what? Community asked missions, they provided missions. Community asked better chat/message system, they provided a better chat/message system. Community asked vehicles, they provided vehicles. These are just small examples of what MA did "recently", just to be received by the community - some fortunately - with rant. Seriously, I have trouble to understand this community, I imagine MA...

Whatever it is, it's what makes most people join, as seen from threads like this, and forms the expectations.

Interesting, I joined cause I could try EU, enjoy it and if eventually annoyed I could cash out whatever I didn't spent.

Anyway, I do believe it can be concluded that MA actually knows how to market EU, or at least knew.

I play entropia since 2009. Been in and out since then, and everytime I was in there's been some players that are regularly ranting about EU. Seldom a positive statement comes out.
Well this Thread is for them.

if you have been around that long then i expect you to know what this forum used to be like, or maybe it is my memory that is faulty and the time i think of is a little longer ago than then.
the thing is, this place used to be filled with a lot more positivity and excitement, there was a always a undercurrent of negativity but it was certainly not like it has become. but bad decision after greedy bad decision by MA beat the positivity out of people, and very positive people when they come to realise they have been fooled have spectacular meltdowns, so many of those ended up quitting and/or getting banned here.
some of the more hardened cynics, a description which i will include myself under, have always been critical of MA but also love the game and its concept, if not its execution, so i believe the cynics stick around longer because they did not oversell the game or MA to themselves, and did not worship the company in the way some of the more positive "cheerleaders" did, so the "betrayal" did not hit them as hard.
i see this currently where the greatest irony for me is that as a huge critic of MA/Calypso staff and company over the years there is now a small "circle-jerk" of arkadia based players/cheerleaders who label me a ark-hater for daring to have some comparatively minor criticisms of their beloved planet/team. on the face of it a ludicrous statement to make, because how deluded and/or invested in this game would you have to be to irrationally hate a small part of it because "insert whatever absurd reasoning these cheerleaders tell themselves i have for hating".
so that is my perspective on negativity, it is in the eye of the beholder, and if MA wants positive participants it should design the game in a way that brings that out in players, instead of constantly making short term and sometimes panic based decisions that are often unbalanced but mostly self serving and sometimes transparently greedy.

MindArk and the Calypso Dev team have a MAJOR problem with customer/public relations. They are fully aware that they do not communicate nor make any attempt to communicate with their client base. This lack of communication generates rumors and negativity within this forum. Again this does not worry them either. They also make no attempt to advertise the game.

I don't see this as inevitable.

You forget the player-base will bleed out into a myriad of other games, or simply stop gaming.

I am not so pessimistic that players cannot affect change, since you ( and me ) are the ones who keep the ball rolling.

But I think we have to think of ( in my profession anyways ) good conduct and example and learn from them.

I have seen many players, well OK, some players - make good social networked videos and blogs that caught the attention of people who knew nothing about EU.

The reward for us should be a better community. And a cheaper and more populated place to ply our free time.

The forum used to be much more enjoyable - but the negativity eventually ground it all down. Do you know how tiring it is to have every positive comment mocked by the legion of trolls that hang out here? I just don't bother. I still play as much as ever, and I enjoy it as much as I ever did. The forum used to be an extension of that enjoyment, but now it's hardly worth the bother of posting.

I personally think what MA has accomplished, as a small company breaking new ground, is freaking amazing. Does it fall short in a thousand ways, sure - but its aiming for the stars - there are a millions ways to miss. Today I enjoy the Multi-Planet Space of inter-connected gaming that was the dream/promise of the EU I joined 7 years ago. Along the way I have I felt my avatar to be dwelling on the edge of what is possible in massive, real-cash, sandbox gaming/entertainment - with all the failures and and foibles one would expect on such an uncharted journey.

To me, the whole point is to grow along with the universe and keep finding new ways to entertain myself as I do. MA's job is to keep growing the universe and expanding the possibilities of its inhabitants. PP's job is to make engaging content, and grow their planets. I'm in it for the long haul - I always have been - because that is the appeal.

Right now I am on Toulan and I am seeing some of the most amazing landscapes yet, and Nahar might be the coolest town ever (I'm talking old Minopolis here). I now have more options for hunting, with viable mind-force and melee. I've explored almost every corner of the universe, and the space in between, I've participated in almost every aspect of the game, and I've done it for a few hours a day with out a break. Do I miss things/places/people? Sure, but I meet new people, find new places, and try new things. Kudos to MA for doing all of that for even the least appreciative among us.

:beerchug:
Miles

Last edited:
Let me put this bluntly: Players bitching in the forums is called customer feedback

A lot of companies pay a lot of money to solicit customer feedback. Through the forums, MA gets it for free. They are grown ups, they don't take the bitching personally. Sticks and stones...

Bitching about what MA does is part of the EU culture. When the devs log on and play EU incognito, they also bitch about MA. I think that even if MA gave away free gold ingots IRL, people will still find a reason to bitch.

Yes MA owns EU but ultimately it's the paying customers who will decide how EU will be.

Now give us some economical unlimited melee amps damnit!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
They are grown ups, they don't take the bitching personally. Sticks and stones...

No comments.

Bitching about what MA does is part of the EU culture. When the devs log on and play EU incognito, they also bitch about MA. I think that even if MA gave away free gold ingots IRL, people will still find a reason to bitch.

In my home country we have a name for that, which is very well translatable to english, but due to politeness i'll refrain from saying it.

Now give us some economical unlimited melee amps damnit!!! :laugh:

I'm quite sure it might be done, if there's no other more important stuff to be delivered.
Patience young Padawan.

I will say no more as it seems we are not allowed to be angry that we spent thousands skilling up a profession that no longer exists, excuse me.. i feel bad for complaining and or bringing taming up.. a thousand apologies to all forum users if i offended you or made your forum experience less fun because i complained.

But really in all sincerity i don't give a shit about the forums users, i play the game and the game is a business and if the business is fucking me over i will complain and some teary eyed forum users won't hinder me in the slightest.

The forum is a way to get information and to bring up things you either agree with or don't agree with it isn't a place where we all hold hands and sing cum by fkin yah my lord.

Poor Mindark :whiner:

When I have a problem or feel the need to provide customer feedback, I file a support case.

When I want(ed) to share information, my experiences, and to debate the issues of the the day - good or bad - I (used to) come to the forum.

Now I don't. Everyone complains about how the forum is dead. Well, it is, and it's no mystery why - it's just sad.

Time to log in and have some fun.

Miles

I fully agree with OP post
as a friend of mine mentioned just a couple days ago,
Many old accounts - calypso players are behave like spoiled childs.
Also I noticed ppl that have interest for other planets are coming in this forum and complaining (guess why?)
I'm in game for about a year and I can admit this.
The only thing I notice above anything else is a continuing effort from dev's to make this virtual world even better.
That takes time and A LOT of work to achieved.

P.S. if you are bored, lost your initial excitement or you got "emptied" of $$$$ for any reason, that doesn't mean that EU became a bad MMO.

Perhaps in 9 years IF you are still here like the older players you may have issues with how MA does things sometimes but until then i hope you enjoy the game but don't have a go at older players as some of them have genuine issues and if sending support tickets for years doesn't make any difference what so ever then the forum is here to voice your opinion and we do and we shall keep on doing.

I'm quite sure it might be done, if there's no other more important stuff to be delivered.
Patience young Padawan.

Patience? ...Since 2005 I've been waiting for melee amplifiers. I stopped skilling that profession in 2006 and sold those skills.

All of a sudden during summer of last year the word gets out that melee amps would be in the upcoming VU. Fantastic!! Then, in June of last year Kim, the CEO of Planet Calypso and son to the Chairman and primary investor in MindArk posts this:

Due to some unforseen issues we could only include a fraction of the content originally scheduled for this release.

This content is now scheduled for the first release after the summer.

Ok no problem... We all were just excited they were coming soon.

Then, based on Kim's post, people proceeded to spend tens of thousands of PED on melee weapons and related skills. Myself, I put about 30k ped total in... Others spent a lot more.

Then the VU comes and guess what? ...no melee amps! WTF :mad:

For months and months we hear nothing until Kim posts this little gem in November:

Sorry, I admit to being full of shit. Still working on implementing the amps as soon as possible, there just wasn't enough time to finish them for this release.

Currently it's May 2014 and the only melee amps we have is some overpriced low damage (L) pieces of crap in a NPC that you have to trade combat tokens for.

Clearly this is grounds alone to be pissed however there are no shortage of examples like this, of broken promises that never have been fulfilled. If this was pretend money then it would be worth getting upset about but this is real money.

5 rules that MA should stick to so they would get a lot of confidence by theres customers.

1.Never promise what they can not keep.
2.If they decide to tell something they can not lie.
3.Never to use synonyms when they write.
4.No player would be allowed to be here who working for MA or had done this.
5.No MA employees or owners may not be on the players' friend list or skype.

The OP speaks like someone who hasnt wasted.......errr......deposited several tens of thousands of dollars....

I absolutely love it when people claim MA is doing the best they can. lol. They're an extremely greedy company. They have complete disregard for their customers. The ONLY reason they're still in business is because there's no other option.

Menace

Back