Interesting article on M/F gamers and avatars

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/boys-boys-cant-hide-gender-video-games-114023353.html

It's an article about how gaming behavior differs between males playing male avatars, males playing female avatars and females playing female avatars :) quite interesting

I have to admit that I do the jumping thing, but it's mostly because I always did it in Morrowind to gain Acrobatics skills and because it was a faster way to travel than running/walking :laugh:

Edit in response to below..
I am mungo baobob, I am my avatar. my avatar is me.

Last edited:
I must be a bloke :laugh: I jump around, over stuff and up stairs! Back off from avas who get too close and "issue directions" to other avas. :silly2:

The study is a start, but too small and not enough things taken into consideration :) I do think you can spot some real females in game, more so by the way she looks and presents her self. :girl:

It would also be interesting to find out a bit more about the interactions between the self and the ava. Ie, do males playing males see the ava as a projection of themselves, where as males playing females see the ava as their "girl" (not gf, just that they see her as their ava, rather than them) or is it exactly the same in both cases.

Also, why do women not play as men? I wouldn't even consider making a boy ava (unless I was allowed two avas :silly2:) but why!

All very interesting, thanks for sharing the link :)

I guess I do jump too, less now than I used to, and I think I also picked up that habit from Morrowind.

I must be a bloke :laugh: I jump around, over stuff and up stairs! Back off from avas who get too close and "issue directions" to other avas. :silly2:

The study is a start, but too small and not enough things taken into consideration :) I do think you can spot some real females in game, more so by the way she looks and presents her self. :girl:

It would also be interesting to find out a bit more about the interactions between the self and the ava. Ie, do males playing males see the ava as a projection of themselves, where as males playing females see the ava as their "girl" (not gf, just that they see her as their ava, rather than them) or is it exactly the same in both cases.

Also, why do women not play as men? I wouldn't even consider making a boy ava (unless I was allowed two avas :silly2:) but why!

All very interesting, thanks for sharing the link :)

I was told many males are females because the female clothing and armor is less expensive than our male counterparts.......... so if true????

Personally, as a male, I almost always play as a male... I like to be able to have some connection to my avatar, and I find it more difficult if I do not have the same gender :)

I was told many males are females because the female clothing and armor is less expensive than our male counterparts.......... so if true????

That'd be true for Entropia (at least in the past, not sure if still correct?), but not for any other games I know of :)

The jumping could be an effect of guys playing more games and also playing more action games like Battlefield and other FPS games compared to girls. Because of that more used to moving around with their avatar.

The jumping could be an effect of guys playing more games and also playing more action games like Battlefield and other FPS games compared to girls. Because of that more used to moving around with their avatar.
I'm more inclined to believe this. Although, if I had a female avatar, she would be a huge slut and I would be jumping around a lot as well! :yup: To bad there are no skills to be gained in boob jiggling! :yay::wtg:

I've noticed that younger male players jump the most. A friends disciple that i encountered, an early teenager, jumped and jumped about so much I started to think that he had some kind of real life hyperactivity disorder. It wasn't just when walking from place to place either... Thank god that MA hasn't introduced pogo sticks in game because he couldn't even stand in one spot without jumping and jumping and jumping.

With some people it's so bad that it makes me wish MindArk implemented a bitch-slap emote.

Jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump....

HAHAHAHA :laugh:

"Men playing as a female avatar jumped 112 times more on average during a quest than women playing as a female avatar."

I'm a dude playing a female avatar and I jump constantly, and have no idea why... Usually pure boredom waiting for auction. I actually first started playing In 2003 with a male avatar but made a female avatar in 2004 once I realized armor prices were significantly cheaper (10's of 1000's of ped back then for rarer UL armors). Also, For pking back when LG's were actually fun events 100v100 all multiple LA's all at once, the smaller the avatar, the smaller the target, and female avatars could be made slightly smaller... But I can't explain the jumping :laugh:

I think it has to do with playing other FPS games prior, like HL2, TFC, CS.

Jumping started for a lot of older counter strike players. You could travel distance quicker doing consecutive jumps with a series of movements on the keyboard each time. Was given the nick name "bunny hop" .Took a lot of practise but was eventually patched out.

Played who knows how many 1000's of hours on that game so I always do it now.

Jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump, jump....

Why women tend to stick to female avatars, while men often have F avas? Well that's an easy one. Men fall in love with their eyes, women their ears ... ;)

I'd even go so far as to say there can only be 3 reasons why men DON'T create female avatars:
  1. Lack of imagination. They simply haven't realized there's this possibility to have a sexy toy instead of just being yourself. ( Sorry girls, that's not how we always see you! There's a few exceptions. :D )
  2. Lack of interest in the opposite sex. Too much sex in RL. Too old. Too homosexual.
  3. Social censorship. What will my gf think about me if she finds out i'm playing online games with female character!!? God forbid if it doesn't resemble her. And if she figures it's some other female, i'd have a civil war on my hands! :) What about my friends? Those who know me in RL would be mighty confused seeing me as a female ingame. How will i explain this? What if they start laughing at me? No, i'd better play it safe and avoid all these embarrassing situations.

That's the basic level of thinking, the world of an average MMO player.

There's also an advanced level called "role-playing". I'd estimate it's share is less than 5% of the total playerbase (of all online games).
On this level you are consciously creating your character, complete with the external appearance/imago, speech, character traits, everything. The result is a new personality, and this person is not your RL self. Pretty much the same what the professional actors are doing when they "go into their role".
Why role-play? It's fun, the jokes based purely on the situations are among the funniest there is. Could be an existential boredom on some deeper level also - for some ppl just one life in a lifetime is not enough.

Last edited:
Jumping started for a lot of older counter strike players. You could travel distance quicker doing consecutive jumps with a series of movements on the keyboard each time. Was given the nick name "bunny hop" .Took a lot of practise but was eventually patched out.

Played who knows how many 1000's of hours on that game so I always do it now.

Yeah older games like Quake also had that jump-jump-jump stuff

Back