MindArk/Calypso Advertising

HardWrath

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Max HardWrath Mayhem
What is the plan regarding advertising?

I'd personally like to see ongoing strategically targeted advertising, even if only in modest amounts, so as to ensure continuous growth. Additionally, with the EU Facebook page, what is being done to utilize social media? Has thought been given how to create pieces that have the potential to go viral, or at the least pieces supported by paid advertising?

Roll over the floor laughing out loud while pissing my pants and clutching my abdomen in sheer laughing pain.
MindArk doesn't advertise EU or Calypso full stop. Ask any gamer what is EVE or what is WoW and they can tell you. Ask any gamers what MMOs have released recently and they will be able to tell you about many. Ask a gamer what EU is or Calypso...They will stare blankly.
To advertise properly MA needs to have boxed sets with the game on DVD for quick install and poster campaigns in gaming shops around the world. They need banner adverts on the big gaming websites. They need to show the millions of people who play EVE and WoW why EU is better. They need to upgrade space like no other MMO.

If their plan is met with the releases on time this year, it will be great. Then next year dedicate time to making space equal or better than at least 3 MMOs

I believe that EU would not appeal to the average gamer or the average MMO player. Some yes, but not most, especially not long term... EU has a different demographic.

I believe that EU would not appeal to the average gamer or the average MMO player. Some yes, but not most, especially not long term... EU has a different demographic.

You are quite right. Our demographic is the older player with incomes to support the costs to play. Not many 12 year olds can afford $10000 land areas with their pocket money.
I think though, this game needs two tiers. The younger gamers who can play without spending to much and enjoy, and as they grow get real life jobs can then deposit to play at a higher level.

You are quite right. Our demographic is the older player with incomes to support the costs to play. Not many 12 year olds can afford $10000 land areas with their pocket money.
I think though, this game needs two tiers. The younger gamers who can play without spending to much and enjoy, and as they grow get real life jobs can then deposit to play at a higher level.

My advice is to target online poker players and others with similar interests

Beyond that, MA should make an effort to learn more about its player base, what our interests are, etc and then target more people like us.

Through a technicality, EU isnt gambling, as a result they likely are google compliant. If they dont want to utilize google, there are other viable platforms that would be highly effective.

Last edited:
First advertising MA should do is for new Management/Board members.

I think they have missed the boat to be honest.

Maybe another few planets or an event or 20 will help but i doubt it... sadly.

First advertising MA should do is for new Management/Board members.

I think they have missed the boat to be honest.

Maybe another few planets or an event or 20 will help but i doubt it... sadly.

Posts like this do not encourage a response from MA

I for one won't call myself a gamer per se. I like this game/ universe/ lifestyle/ whatever. I haven't played another game for the last, what is it, six years or something; except the occasional annual LAN-party playing old games like Age of Empires II and Red Alert, or helping my mother complete a level on phone-games like Candy Crush. So the types like me need to be tagged in a different way, not by some advertising on a gaming site. Things I can come up to right now:
- (worldwide) magazines like National Geographic
- (worldwide) newspaper and newssites like Metro
- Cinema commercials, specially with SF-movies

I might be wrong, but I think that as I grow older that my interests are broadening. So to attract the adult-despositing-and-here--to-stay-for-a-long-time-player there can be many, many sites and places. They need to have a booth setup at activities and festivals where a lot of the average 'Entropia-playing-Generation' comes. Or with a music festival you often get a booklet with info about the artists and advertising in it.
- Music festivals
- Car/ motorcycle happenings
- Things to do with weapons and hunting
- Sci-Fy festivals or whatever they do

And a thing that just comes to mind: try to give the name Entropia Universe to one of the newest, coollest, biggest, fastest rollercoasters. Why a rollercoaster? Because people of all ages love 'm and once setup MindArk doesn't have to do too much to keep the people staring at EU-advertising and the PP-advertising while they wait in line. ... it might be too damn costly however, I have zero knowledge of such a thing ... and just hoping that if it can be done, the rollercoaster won't breakdown every hour, that would be a real clicé bummer lol.

:yup::cowboy::yup:

Ask any gamer what is EVE or what is WoW and they can tell you. Ask any gamers what MMOs have released recently and they will be able to tell you about many. Ask a gamer what EU is or Calypso...They will stare blankly.

This I can confirm, because it happens to me at least once a week when I meet other PC gamers through my work.

There obviously must be a demographic for EU, that is how it has survived this long. Personally I have never played WOW, EVE, SWTOR etc etc... They do not interest/appeal to me.

As many have pointed out EU is really for the mature person with a job and disposable income. The key is to find where that demographic gets 'advertised' to and market EU there.

I have no answer, just observations.

Following on from my previous post, maybe MA/EU should send out another poll to their active customers asking questions about their age, job/profession, annual income, media viewing/reading habits etc etc?

That would help them determine (to some extent) what demographic is attracting people to EU and by extension, where they should advertise EU.

... Things I can come up to right now:
- (worldwide) magazines like National Geographic
- (worldwide) newspaper and newssites like Metro
- Cinema commercials, specially with SF-movies

I might be wrong, but I think that as I grow older that my interests are broadening. So to attract the adult-despositing-and-here--to-stay-for-a-long-time-player there can be many, many sites and places. They need to have a booth setup at activities and festivals where a lot of the average 'Entropia-playing-Generation' comes. Or with a music festival you often get a booklet with info about the artists and advertising in it.
- Music festivals
- Car/ motorcycle happenings
- Things to do with weapons and hunting
- Sci-Fy festivals or whatever they do
Yes! MA should read this.

Also, i think MA has realized the learning/adapting curve is too steep atm, and they're not going to waste resources by blindly throwing money at advertisement companies. Not being stupid is always a good thing.

A web application (the Battle Arena project) should create an intermediate "Landing Zone" between EU and the potential playerbase out there. This is the best strategy i've seen so far, way better than anything we have been able to come up here on the forums imo. Shows the ppl responsible for strategic planning/marketing are smart an know what they're doing.

We should give em credit where it's due, instead of the usual mindless bashing. Respect, MA!
If only the practical implementation of the idea would be equally high quality, we could stop worrying about the future of EU. Let's hope everything goes as planned!

Reactions: SHY
I for one won't call myself a gamer per se. I like this game/ universe/ lifestyle/ whatever.

The "virtual universe where avatars live in" aspect of EU has not been faring too well since I joined almost 5 years ago. Its a pity.

Roll over the floor laughing out loud while pissing my pants and clutching my abdomen in sheer laughing pain.
MindArk doesn't advertise EU or Calypso full stop. Ask any gamer what is EVE or what is WoW and they can tell you. Ask any gamers what MMOs have released recently and they will be able to tell you about many. Ask a gamer what EU is or Calypso...They will stare blankly.
To advertise properly MA needs to have boxed sets with the game on DVD for quick install and poster campaigns in gaming shops around the world. They need banner adverts on the big gaming websites. They need to show the millions of people who play EVE and WoW why EU is better. They need to upgrade space like no other MMO.

If their plan is met with the releases on time this year, it will be great. Then next year dedicate time to making space equal or better than at least 3 MMOs

Lesson one in marketing is that you approach YOUR market with YOUR product in a way that matches with YOUR audience.

The EU audience is different from WOW and EVE, so it makes sense to do the marketing differently too. Not just carpet bomb the media and hoping something will happen, that is 1950s style marketing ;)

I think MA must go from door to door giving free starter pack and instruction how to download and run the game.

That might work :)

Marketing Road Map Q3 - Q4 2014

First step: Choose your 5 core countrys (with most active players, most deposits etc.)

July:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 1.
2.) Serve them with premade uber test accounts, so that they can check out all professions and aspects of Entropia.
3.) Serve them with tons of media and informations (videos, screenshots, pictures, EU history).
4.) Ask them to write reviews, news, tests articles etc.
5.) Book an advertising campaign in their magazine / website.

August:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 2.
2.) Serve them with premade uber test accounts, so that they can check out all professions and aspects of Entropia.
3.) Serve them with tons of media and informations (videos, screenshots, pictures, EU history).

September:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 3.

October:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 4.

November:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 5.

[
2.) Serve them with premade uber test accounts, so that they can check out all professions and aspects of

I disagree. ViperStrike AKA DCB-Trading-Co bought skills for 20k USD and got bored few days later. And most people that do gaming reviews play for 1-2 hours and that's it. May be it works for other games, but not enought to understand EU.

Wouldn't the upcoming referral system help?

People could get together to form a Country promotion group and work together, using one referral code, and split the revenues.

The unknown cost of playing

Tbh, the unknown cost of playing is directing this towards gambling. A lot of my friends are too scared of even the slightest resemblence to gambling. I get a bit scared myself to see how fast $100 can be spent/lost, especially lately where return seems to have dropped alot. Maybe MA are protecting EU investors (LA, deed owners) too much.

If MA had a new type of subscription based fee, they could maybe pull some gamers from the other MMO's, but MMO stayers, tend to stay with their favorite, so its not a straightforward job. The subscription should not replace the "investment/gambling" type of account that we got now, but maybe allow a transition between them, or even a combination that would look like a monthly automatic deposit.

Also, a lot of regular old players (like myself) has been hit by the disease "getting married and making a family", that severely limits gaming time. The disease often follows when you start making your own money.

Also, I hate grinding, and prefer to loose peds while having fun, so I also miss a good reason (exitement/adventure/happening/properly timed event[*]) to sit down and play (I mean loose peds and still feel happy). Big happenings could maybe invite new players with a ticket with some value, but ffs make the new players enjoy the happening.

[*] An event that doesnt require me to sit 4h each day for few weeks, to get a potential reward.

Yes! MA should read this.

Also, i think MA has realized the learning/adapting curve is too steep atm, and they're not going to waste resources by blindly throwing money at advertisement companies. Not being stupid is always a good thing.

A web application (the Battle Arena project) should create an intermediate "Landing Zone" between EU and the potential playerbase out there. This is the best strategy i've seen so far, way better than anything we have been able to come up here on the forums imo. Shows the ppl responsible for strategic planning/marketing are smart an know what they're doing.

We should give em credit where it's due, instead of the usual mindless bashing. Respect, MA!
If only the practical implementation of the idea would be equally high quality, we could stop worrying about the future of EU. Let's hope everything goes as planned!

In full agreement.. If the battle arena is well programmed.
The battle arena app in the different play stores should immediately become a top pick. (all of us will download it)

The battle arena app in the different play stores should immediately become a top pick. (all of us will download it)

I wont download it...

It does not appeal to me at all...

I may be old skool, but I prefer to play my games on a big computer.

This is a great idea. +rep

Marketing Road Map Q3 - Q4 2014

First step: Choose your 5 core countrys (with most active players, most deposits etc.)

July:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 1.

August:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 2.

September:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 3.

October:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 4.

November:
1.) Get in direct contact with the 5 largest gaming magazines (printed and online) of core country 5.

Using premade uber accounts for reviewing EU would give an extremely biased review and could lead to false expectations, a good reviewer would know something is up or at least suspect it. Unless they actually play at various levels how can they provide balanced view point for the people reading it.

May be low mid-level to get them past the initial starting period otherwise it's like only ever driving an R8 when the article is about the full Audi range (bad example but the best I could come up with).

I wont download it...

I suggest you download it anyway.

It would probably be better to show demonstrations than just give them uber accounts to test. Just because their avatar "can" do stuff doesn't mean they would understand any more about the game than if using a newbie account. This is where youtube/twitch videos are good.

I suggest you download it anyway.

Why...?

Not being cynical, but if you like to play the game on PC, why bother with an app, which most likely has less to offer than the full version?

Posts like this do not encourage a response from MA

Ok i'll say all nice and sugary things to them :) it's a forum you say what you think, that is what i think.

I wont download it...

We will be indirectly helping with advertising if we all just download it, regardless of playing it or not.

I will download it on all the devices I own / have access to and probably bug my friends to just download it as well, regardless of them being gamers or not.

Back