Info: Experiencing lag?

seem lag issue it's universal not planetary specific
am I wrong?
Lot of times I'm unable to browse auctions on Caly - NI- RT
and chat looking pretty dead also.

It is most deffinately universal, i have experienced this same lag on Caly, Rocktopia and CP all around this same time on different days.

thanks Joakim for this :) good to see MA getting stuck in to these issues

just a thought if anyone wants to give more info, might be better to use pingPlotter http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html seeing as this is intermittent issue? You just leave it running and it will create a log.

Also I think the auction is mostly really quick now in my usual times in game.. Though I dunno if thats to do with lower activity in summer or something

Last edited:
seem lag issue it's universal not planetary specific
am I wrong?
Lot of times I'm unable to browse auctions on Caly - NI- RT
and chat looking pretty dead also.
Here we have 2 different issues: whole game freezing up and unresponsive AU server or loot lag (while the rest of the game works OK).

Problems with auction and loot are related to a specific service (most likely caused by overload in some database).
Problems with game-wide lag and disconnects could be caused by area servers or connection problems, but they are definitely not related to some specific in-game service or database.

As long as we mix up those 2 we never get to the roots of the problem.

Hello people!

We recognize that there has been an increasing number of reports related to login- lag- and availability- issues. MindArk take this problem very seriously and have for this reason started an investigation to reduce these issues and improve the player experience. But in order to do this more efficient we would like to invite you players to share your experiences to track these issues and remove them.
Please send the following information to support@entropiauniverse.com...

Full avatar name
Date?
Time (UTC)?
Location in-game?
Activity in-game?
How did the lag affect your gaming experience?

Checking connectivity instructions:

Windows 7

Start command prompt and paste the following command:
date /T > c:\users\%username%\documents\contest.txt & time /T >> c:\users\%username%\documents\contest.txt & ping -n 10 login.entropiauniverse.com >> c:\users\%username%\documents\contest.txt & tracert 94.31.61.11 >> c:\users\%username%\documents\contest.txt & tracert 178.237.32.78 >> c:\users\%username%\documents\contest.txt

Send an email to support@entropiauniverse.com and attach the file: contest.txt located in your documents folder (c:\users\%username%\documents\)

Windows 8

Start command prompt and paste the following command:
date /T > c:\users\%username%\contest.txt & time /T >> c:\users\%username%\contest.txt & ping -n 10 login.entropiauniverse.com >> c:\users\%username%\contest.txt & tracert 94.31.61.11 >> c:\users\%username%\contest.txt & tracert 178.237.32.78 >> c:\users\%username%\contest.txt

Send an email to support@entropiauniverse.com and attach the file: contest.txt located in the folder (c:\users\%username%\)

If you run a different operating system than Windows 7 or Windows 8 and need help running these commands please contact us and supply your operating system version.

Cheers!

P.S - Can be good to run command prompt as admin if you have any troubles :)

There is 3 types of Lag , and you trying to discover wrong one in my opinion.

1. Connection lag to one of servers Ips.
2. Bandwitch lag of "virtual server" ip
3. Server lag nothing to do with connection.

The first "Connection" lag is rly ofter, even for people who have bad internet connection like in germany , or playing in mobile boradband connections.
Tracert command can show how many "routers" it uses and which one can create lag .

1. problem that this year i tryed all my friends who was talking about having lag, only 1 of them was this type of problem. and we all have to admit , that we cannot fix it unless you see that only 1 country or region experiencing lag and put tunnel type connection .

2. Second and most popular connection problem can be described like "upload lag" . When Avatar start not respond , you see action, you can read chat, you see mob hit you, but you cannot do anything.
That is a fact that server send pockets, client get it, but client cannot send pocket or server does notreceive it.
In analyzing this issuse i tested that finally all people who are connected to same (one of virtual serve ip) - not 1 LA , starting to get same "LAG" . And finally saw that Client send normal pockets, just server refuse to receive it.
In that way , if player start to do alot actions and overflow buffer - they get dced. Because server drop connection after gets "unLaged - unstucked" . One action to not get Dc'ed (dropped connection) is not do alot actions like fap, move, trye to use tools, to not overflow buffer. And after lag gone, you will be able to play again without recconecting.

3. Server lag nothing to do with connection. Can be experienced how "loot lag", "teleportation lag" and ect. It starts when server does not get information from main (loot service - main system) or that "LA" virtual server have not enought resources to handle it. it can be experienced in some la , where is huge buildings with alot shops like "headquarters, where is kingfisher or falxangius (tp :Zonnestraaltje,genesis amathera headwarters, and all treasure island) that server was "overbuffed" all time since i remember. Reasons can be : loo low harware recources , or alot of apartaments, items, in private apartaments that overbuff system and server cannot handle so many data in one place.

So At first need to ask people, which type of LAG they feels.

1. Described as : can run around, but chat freezes, mobs not run around, other avatars not move or talk.

2. Described as : you can see chat, blobals, mob hits you, you see damage, adn people runing around, but cannot do nothing.

3. Described as : you can run, shoot, see people around, but no loot after looting, no loot after craft click, revive in same place after death.

All this lag types can be fixed. Just i think at first Joakim need to know which lag people are experiencing most.

And in my opinion, FIrst lag , ahat can be found by typing Joakim given command is not so ften.

P.S. forgot to describe 4 type of lag when you have like 2 fps, and when you run , you feel like waching moving pictures. That means your computer came from world war 2 , and already start to stink , so need to change to new one.

Last edited:
1. problem that this year i tryed all my friends who was talking about having lag, only 1 of them was this type of problem. and we all have to admit , that we cannot fix it unless you see that only 1 country or region experiencing lag and put tunnel type connection .

2. Second and most popular connection problem can be described like "upload lag" . When Avatar start not respond , you see action, you can read chat, you see mob hit you, but you cannot do anything.
That is a fact that server send pockets, client get it, but client cannot send pocket or server does notreceive it.
In analyzing this issuse i tested that finally all people who are connected to same (one of virtual serve ip) - not 1 LA , starting to get same "LAG" . And finally saw that Client send normal pockets, just server refuse to receive it.
In that way , if player start to do alot actions and overflow buffer - they get dced. Because server drop connection after gets "unLaged - unstucked" . One action to not get Dc'ed (dropped connection) is not do alot actions like fap, move, trye to use tools, to not overflow buffer. And after lag gone, you will be able to play again without recconecting.

3. Server lag nothing to do with connection. Can be experienced how "loot lag", "teleportation lag" and ect. It starts when server does not get information from main (loot service - main system) or that "LA" virtual server have not enought resources to handle it. it can be experienced in some la , where is huge buildings with alot shops like "headquarters, where is kingfisher or falxangius (tp :Zonnestraaltje,genesis amathera headwarters, and all treasure island) that server was "overbuffed" all time since i remember. Reasons can be : loo low harware recources , or alot of apartaments, items, in private apartaments that overbuff system and server cannot handle so many data in one place.
Wow, very good description of different types of lag. Fits 100% with my experience.
+rep

I got lagg, but there is not connection lagg.

and some country have so poor internet connections so its not possible to plame that on MA.
Some places in USA they still use seriel cables like we didnt use in like 20 years in Sweden.

From my point of view 29 is still slow but playable.
Inside Sweden i usaly have 1-3ms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ping login.entropiauniverse.com

Pinging login.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.79] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=121

Ping statistics for 178.237.32.79:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 29ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
but will they use that info to look beyond first type?

There is alot ways how to solve this issuse.

at first people need to understand what is wrong with it.

Connection from Client to Server can be described like a road from Usa to Europe.
There are alot of different ways, short ones, long ones, with alot crossers or less.

Problem is standart user cannot choose which way he need to go. It is made by making internet users to use internet connection easy.

not even some internet service providers not trace every connection to check if it have good quality connection or not.

Like from mine Location to Mindark server i have connection with 8 croosers "routers" . Some people who live in America or in other place in the world can have more than 20 roouters connecting to direct point.

in example , more "routers" in way can describe as bigger response "lag" between client and server and it has nothing to do with internet download/upload speed .
But this is not real problem and cannot be described as problem of lag.

If you have like 20 routers between server and client, and you have lag all time. it is simple knowing that problem is here.
But worse situation in this connection can be sescribed even with 3-4 routers, that 1 of tham are (not fully functional, ddosed, or busy).

So in example if it goes like : (my pc) ->>>> (1 router OK)->>>> (2 router OK)->>>> (3 router Cause LAG)->>>> (4 router OK) ->>>> (MA server) . We will have LAG in the end.

There is 2 different resolutions how to solve it.

Both is simply should pass bad crosser "router" to have excelent connection.

1st fix is : when mindark get all information about users that experiencing lag, need to find one similar factor , like (bad router, same coutry, same trace (road to server)) .
after getting that info joakim ask you now, they can make Tunnel to taht "place" or make virtual ip that people to connect passing bad connection routers.
Main problem in this fis is that Clien side , should have rules why it has to connect to that tunnel.
Like : i am from germany ip where is most lagging so i can connect to tunnel . Client need rule to know if it needed to connect to tunnel otherwize it will be no point.

2fix is when Client "User" can fix that issuse himself. It is well known problem when alot mmorpg gamers connect to other sservers like "Europe player connect to USA game server". They have huge lag because connection from Europe to USA has alot of scrossers "routers" that cause huge lag all time (not sometimes).

So gamers started to use software like Leatrix Latency Fix.

Code:
Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

It has not analyzing any situation ,
Some of this type sofwater just make tunnels, some reduces "router" count in connection.

Ofc for people who have continue lag every day can trye to search for good and safe software to reduce lag.

Since this connection problem is not Fault by ma , it is hard to blaim Mindark for it, and need alot of knowlage and help from internet service provider to make it perfect.

Ofc i will never understand why my "road" to login server from Lithuania/Europe Goes to USA and than Back :D
is there are no other factors like Security reasons it seems unreasonable :)

Last edited:
Ofc i will never understand why my "road" to login server from Lithuania/Europe Goes to USA and than Back :D
is there are no other factors like Security reasons it seems unreasonable :)

I get the same route. My PC >> Telia router in Switzerland >> NY, USA >> London, GB. Strange indeed.. :scratch2:
The endpoint is in London. Means the game servers are hosted in England now? Or maybe only the server that handles the initial authentication, and the actual game servers are somewhere else?

I get the same route. My PC >> Telia router in Switzerland >> NY, USA >> London, GB. Strange indeed.. :scratch2:
The endpoint is in London. Means the game servers are hosted in England now? Or maybe only the server that handles the initial authentication, and the actual game servers are somewhere else?

game server and login server is different.
we see just end point ip adress, there can be self made sofware , proxy or authentication database, which connects to Mindark servers. That internal secured connection you cannot see, and i am shiot it is working properly.

since login server does not need to have good latency/ping because it is used only for login , than server gives avaible ip adress where iit redirects you to game server. (client server gives ip adress to game server before seeing where your avatar is or (my guess is see less used banwith ip adress)

Since this connection problem is not Fault by ma , it is hard to blaim Mindark for it, and need alot of knowlage and help from internet service provider to make it perfect.

I think a lot of the frustration comes from the lack of effort by MA to address the disparity in gaming experience for different players. Such a disparity in a FPS game server is usually self-correcting because players will connect to a nearby server. In a MMORPG it's usually not as big of a deal because higher ping and/or a few dropped packets don't harm the player that much. However, EU offers PvP that requires a low ping like a FPS and other main-profession game mechanics that are sensitive to connection problems and can result in losses of real cash, so compensating as much as possible for the disparity in player connectivity should be a top priority for MA.

It's good to see them acknowledging this. As you say, there is only so much they can do to directly resolve the connectivity issues, but they can implement smarter client-server design that helps reduce the effects of differences in connectivity for players all over the world:

The point is that it's time to implement "client friendly" features that have been overdue for years. I can always count on being outdamaged by European teammates if we have weapons of even remotely similar DPS; it's been that way for years. It's time to decouple the rate that repetitive things happen from the round trip network rate.

These measures won't resolve the issues with the servers, but it will make the customer experience more fair and less frustrating.

These are just two obvious things that should be implemented that would make a huge difference:
  • when autouse tool is activated, the autouse should be serverside, not client side, and remain active during desynchronization of up to a few seconds. In the past this had the potential undesirable side effect of wasting shots, but now that untargeted shots don't use ammo, there's no more hangups. This would give everyone the true dps their weapon should have, and smooth out the little hiccups when engaged with a mob.
  • When server/client synchronization is lost for more than the few seconds that autouse remains active serverside, the mob may not attack. It's only fair if the player can't attack that the mob can't attack.

There are also some no-brainer things that should have been fixed years ago. Under no circumstances should i be told that "Your avatar is already logged in". That's just really, really lazy development. If a client properly authenticates with the server, it should be connected to the avatar.

Last edited:
There are also some no-brainer things that should have been fixed years ago. Under no circumstances should i be told that "Your avatar is already logged in". That's just really, really lazy development. If a client properly authenticates with the server, it should be connected to the avatar.

In the case of servers if a remote desktop session drops out due to a dropped connection then once it can reconnect it just takes back over.

Ideally we'd want a similar situation in EU, if we can't reconnect after a few minutes then a time out and auto logout is what we need. But if we drop out and immediately try to reconnect we should be able to.

I and many others remember getting a drop out in the middle of the old style beacons and having to wait 2-3 minutes just when we were trying to open the boxes.

The only benefit to not being able to login immediately is security as it prevents people who might have sniffed out the password during a login attempt to take over. Maybe this should continue where the player involved doesn't have a gold card.

In the case of servers if a remote desktop session drops out due to a dropped connection then once it can reconnect it just takes back over.

Ideally we'd want a similar situation in EU, if we can't reconnect after a few minutes then a time out and auto logout is what we need. But if we drop out and immediately try to reconnect we should be able to.

I and many others remember getting a drop out in the middle of the old style beacons and having to wait 2-3 minutes just when we were trying to open the boxes.

The only benefit to not being able to login immediately is security as it prevents people who might have sniffed out the password during a login attempt to take over. Maybe this should continue where the player involved doesn't have a gold card.

I want to tell about tinstances and what mindark official opinion was sayd.

In start of Beacons alot people was complaining about disconect in beacon and they could not open cases or continue shooting.
That was explained as ped loss.
Mindark official notice made that year when beacons was released surprized me, they sayd that all peds "lost" in beacon if you do not open box will return in future beacons or standart loot.

at first i did not believed it but alot actions showed , like
1. Star went alone with fapper to biggest beacon and shoot few thousand , and dced. After beacon failed, he got 20k hof from Feffox or smth.
2. During lat mayhem Zverys team was shooting lvl5 boss, and by failing few times they had exit because time ended, after entering new isntance , first spider gave 2k ped making team avatage close to 90-95%

there is alot factors how loot works here, but i am 100% shior that if you do not loot boxes in instance, that lost ped returns in other instances or in regular loot.

Full retard lag is back once more just after 00:00 MA time. It hardly ever fails to come right around this time lately!

Full retard lag is back once more just after 00:00 MA time. It hardly ever fails to come right around this time lately!

That was experienced same in Marry Mayhem when Star was main shooter. He could not play witout lag after 4:00 pm Ma time. After diagnostics we analyzed that was his Internet service provider. Because Latency from usa was drastically droping because Internet service provider began to be really "bussy". It was explained like : People return from homes in that time zone and start to use internet.

since his friend, using same isb had super good internet connection.

Silly but true.

Hi!

We have received a great deal of reports, keep up the good work!

Tell your friends to send lag report aswell, this will help us a lot.

I can't share the full report right now, but I can say that we are getting closer in finding the issues.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the update Joakim!

Hi!

We have received a great deal of reports, keep up the good work!

Tell your friends to send lag report aswell, this will help us a lot.

I can't share the full report right now, but I can say that we are getting closer in finding the issues.

Thanks again.

Joakim, would you be so kind, if you can, to confirm that Mindark is still renting the game servers from Interxion ?

http://www.interxion.com/customers/case-studies/mindark/

I am not sure if this is still the same. If it is still the same, then people might understand
that Mindark has to work with Interxion to solve these problems.

The way I understand it now, is that the login servers are located in Sweden.
However the game servers are located in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=118
Reply from 178.237.32.77: bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=118

Welcome to what lag is like for someone overseas like me!

Having a really nice lagfest this evening:

Pinging login.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.78] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=165ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=158ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=113
Reply from 178.237.32.78: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=113

Here's a real quality connection. Stupid thing bounces around in miami for 10 hops and fails to get responses from various different nodes on the way:

Tracing route to a3938.mindark.atom86.net [178.237.32.78]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 6 ms 1 ms dslrouter
2 69 ms 85 ms 10 ms adsl-xxxxxxx.mia.bellsouth.net [98.xxxxxxx]
3 113 ms * 9 ms 70.159.200.216
4 9 ms 10 ms 14 ms 12.81.8.152
5 34 ms 8 ms 8 ms 12.81.8.65
6 53 ms 18 ms 14 ms 74.175.192.170
7 115 ms 79 ms 84 ms cr82.fldfl.ip.att.net [12.123.153.114]
8 83 ms 89 ms 89 ms 12.122.155.173
9 * 191 ms * 192.205.35.118
10 95 ms 82 ms 93 ms ae-3.r20.miamfl02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.110]
11 114 ms 168 ms 159 ms ae-8.r21.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.99]
12 185 ms * * ae-2.r23.amstnl02.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.145]
13 260 ms 260 ms 405 ms ae-2.r02.amstnl02.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.159]
14 285 ms 323 ms 259 ms atom86-gw.ipv4.ntt.net [83.231.213.10]
15 175 ms 168 ms 159 ms a3938.mindark.atom86.net [178.237.32.78]

It appears the final server is an atom-based x86 box. ;) J/k but wouldn't surprise me.

Hello people!

Thank you for providing us with vital information regarding the lag issues, results that are important for us to make Entropia Universe a better place.
The first results of the lag analyze is in our hands and we found a couple of things that will be addressed during and after summer.
It is of great importance that you continue to send in these reports, not all the lag reports are pointing to the same problem.

There is a great possibility that we will write a new lag report guide with even more detailed information in the future, so be ready for it.

And thanks again fellow entropians.

Regards

Last edited:
Met a jolly hunting party y-day.
At some point there was a loot lag. [Meaning, one server did not respond to another server inside the game.]
I got lag, one guy said. Do you have it too?
Yes, i got too, the other responded. Gotta close all other programs. [Meaning, i will close the window, this will stop the rain.]

Magic is still a major factor in many ppl lives...

I will try and make a report, but honestly I just see those instructions and feel overwhelmed. I know it's not hard, but I wish it were a little easier.
Also, the point that many people said about having lag spikes at certain times, has seemed to been going on for a very long time. The only thing is what time of day it occurs. It used to be at 12:00am EST once a day, then it was at 13-14 after every hour, now it seems to have moved to 7 after every hour. It always lasts for 1-2 minutes and mostly gives "loot lag" and functions such as moving inventory to storage, operating auction, crafting, dropping a mining probe, switching items, shooting weapon, or using fap. Also, when you die during those times you revive where you died. This will continue to happen over and over until finally the server catches up and you are sent to revive.

I call it "Lag-O-Clock"

Server backups or whatever? I don't know - but it is very consistent and isn't hard to pin down.

on the op post

very hard to know what they want us to do

i tried it dont work on my ecu what other posted in steps to doo

like most thing they think every poeple know what there e talking about

you have to post step how to go at like your talking to someone that never touch a computor

An interesting thing is that telia nowdays seems to route straight to Amsterdam.

3 22 ms 23 ms 21 ms s-b6-link.telia.net [62.115.139.49]
4 22 ms 21 ms 34 ms s-bb4-link.telia.net [62.115.139.106]
5 45 ms 33 ms 46 ms hbg-bb2-link.telia.net [213.155.130.13]
6 43 ms 50 ms 47 ms adm-bb4-link.telia.net [80.91.248.242]
7 43 ms 43 ms 41 ms adm-b5-link.telia.net [213.155.132.159]
8 42 ms 44 ms 42 ms atom86-ic-148184-adm-b5.c.telia.net [80.239.130.146]
9 45 ms 43 ms 43 ms a3938.mindark.atom86.net [178.237.32.78]

(Not during lag.)
In the past, if I recall right the traffic was routed through Another ISP with sluggish Connection (above.net?) through germany.

Met a jolly hunting party y-day.
At some point there was a loot lag. [Meaning, one server did not respond to another server inside the game.]
I got lag, one guy said. Do you have it too?
Yes, i got too, the other responded. Gotta close all other programs. [Meaning, i will close the window, this will stop the rain.]

Magic is still a major factor in many ppl lives...

I had lag all day yesterday!! Very madding :mad:

07/07/2014
01:20

Pinging login.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.79] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=120
Reply from 178.237.32.79: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=120