FYI: Chat freeze, and how to work around it

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
Ever since the new chat system was introduced, the characters < or > appearing in chat will cause the whole chat window to freeze up. Despite this has being a known problem for quite some time now, it still has not been fixed.

Not only that, but while this previously only happened with team names, now the global name for OLA39 contains those characters and so kills the chat. This means it's happening extremely often and is even more annoying than before.

This needs to be fixed asap, it is infuriating.

I know some people have been relogging when this happens, but there is a workaround to avoid needing to do this. When the chat window would have filled up enough that the bad character goes off the top (if it was scrolling as intended), the window unfreezes. You can therefore fix it by filling up the chat window with text. I find the easiest way to do this is to press U (time code) continuously until it fixes.

The workaround causes me to miss a load of stuff in chat because it's gone off the top of the window, so is not really acceptable, but it's easier than relogging.

you can also type
/help
2-3 times, it will fill the chat quickly. Tried /listmember but you know, not enough people in this game:s

The chat locking up after a name with a "<" in it existed several years ago already though.

Before I placed a "*", "**" or "***" in front of some people's names on fl I had done the "<".
Every time a socmate with the "<" symbol spoke in soc chat my whole chat froze for long or until I relogged.

Made a support case back in the days but not easy to find as those have no titles. Could have been in 2009 or so.

Edit, found and reported on 2010-01-29 23:15 already lol

Last edited:
Right click on "Main" >> Disable "Globals" >> Enable "Globals"

Tried to paste coords [342432, 343444] from a forum, that killed the channel i was currently using (Local)
Seems the [ and ] are hard to digest as well :)

Back