Wondering about performance...

mriain

Young
Stagger Organic
Could some of you guys post system specs and comment on how ur machine run entropia...im not sure if i have a problem

Im running an amd athlon64 3000+, 1024mb ram, and a 256mb geforce fx5500....

i know the gcard isnt great, but it is 256 meg and ive heard of ppl running entropia perfectly with lesser cards and systems.

whenever im in or go towards port atlantis for example, i get pretty horrible frame rates...its perfect out in the forest...but in atlantis even with no avatars around it still gets slower...any ideas?

Your setup sounds more than adequate to me. I think your problem is possibly your connection. Have you played around with the Cache settings in options? It's also sometimes worth adjusting your "connection speed" in the options in the clientloader to something a little less than your actual connection speed. Don't know why exactly, but it seems to make a performance difference.

As always, performance is in the eye of the beholder, and what's acceptable to one person is slow to another. Maybe it's worth running FRAPS and recording your FPS in places like PA and posting back here. For busy times in PA I'd say that 10-15 FPS is pretty normal. Quite often when stuff is loading in my FRAPS tells me I'm running at 8FPS... not usually for long though!

thanks dude....my connection is 2mb...ill try setting the connetion speed down a little in pre-launch options.

and what would u suggest for cache size? larger or smaller better?

thanks again.

I have an AMD 64 3200+, 1.5gb RAM, Radeon X800 XT PE 256mb and 1mbit ADSL. I get the usual low-FPS in PA and Twin, but as Noggin said 15 FPS is about normal for such places.

I have my cache setting to the far right, and generally my performance is very good. The only times I get crappy FPS out of the big cities is when I stumble into a big herd of red dots on my radar, but as with PA I'd imagine thats network-induced lag

ah ok so its just standard in cities?

thanks for clearing that up guys....maybe later versions of entropia will have a better made graphics engine :)

cheers guys.

mriain said:
maybe later versions of entropia will have a better made graphics engine :)

Yep, it'll probably come just about the time pigs learn to fly.

The nature of the graphics engine in PE seems to struggle with a lot of objects (walk into a well-furnished apartment for instance and nothing appears for some seconds, and even when it does it takes a while to "work" properly) and that combined with network lag does make the cities a bit of a performance-strain.

Anyhoo, change the connection speed as Noggin said and tinker with the cache to see if it makes a difference. Good luck! :)

Back