Info: Reason Behind CLD Release?

Korin Dante MDe

Prowler
Can this be reason behind the introduction of CLD's ---

June 15, 2010 - Parent company MindArk AB released its 2009 annual report, showing a cash flow of -18.6 Million SEK (-$2.4M), and stating that the real-world bank is on hold, due to a lack of funds. MindArk also stated they had a signed letter of intent to sell their original virtual planet, Planet Calypso, for a price of $6,000,000 USD, to an unnamed company,[21] later announced to be SEE Virtual Worlds, already a partner. SEE intended to release at least two planets in the Entropia Universe: (Planet Michael, a virtual world celebrating the life of Michael Jackson, and a second planet featuring monsters from Universal.[22]) However, in June 2011, MindArk released a statement announcing the end of their partnership with SEE altogether.

Yeah i remember this time.

And everyone was saying how they now have sold 49% for the same 6 million dollars
60000 cld for $100 each :)

In the end they got what they wanted

Edit due to popular demand 60,000 not 6000 cld where sold

Last edited:
Yeah i remember this time.

And everyone was saying how they now have sold 49% for the same 6 million dollars
6000 cld for $100 each :)

In the end they got what they wanted

60.000 CLDs :)

I think they spent money before they got it. And once the deal with SEE fell thru they still had to collect something to pay other debts/ legal bills. So they made CLD's to get that money back.

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they spent money before they got it. And once the deal with SEE fell thru they still had to collect something to pay other debts/ legal bills. So they made CLD's to get that money back.

<removed>

<removed>

Anyway, I think CLD sell was a combination of they need some cash to finance the development and also that they wanted to lessen their dependent on Planet Calypso, making Calypso more equal to other planet partners.

<removed>

<removed>

I think pointing towards one singular event as the reason behind the CLD release to be inaccurate. I doubt they rushed into releasing CLD's without exploring all options once the SEE deal fell through, specially singe a entire new system needed to be developed before being able to do so.

PS: The highlighted bit is from the 2009 report, CLD's was released in November 2011, so i don't see the relevance there.

Cheers
Zweshi

Its ok, MindArk is in need of $2million more USD when the BADs are released next year. Again players will plough all their cash into these new deeds for a small ROI. MindArk gets their $2mil and shareholders will be happy. Then as per previous, there will be no money in the game to actually play, people will bitch that the ROI is small because no one can afford to play etc.

Its ok, MindArk is in need of $2million more USD when the BADs are released next year. Again players will plough all their cash into these new deeds for a small ROI. MindArk gets their $2mil and shareholders will be happy. Then as per previous, there will be no money in the game to actually play, people will bitch that the ROI is small because no one can afford to play etc.

Couldn't agree more!

These deeds are nice for fast income to Mindark but for the economy it's the worst idea ever! Even worst is that this deed thing seems to be the future of Entropia. :(

Really sad to see where this game was 6 years ago and where it is now. Six years ago the best thing you could get was a nice gun or a nice fap. Now the best thing you can have is tones of CLD, AUD and soon BAD so you can survive a litle more with all these crap returns and non-existent markups, probably because everyone bought deeds and there are a lot less ped for normal activities resulting in less ped lost and lower HOFs.

Just remember one thing, the less ped ingame the less money MA need to pay! With CLD being a under pec item. :laugh:

What is BAD's you guys speak of?

What is BAD's you guys speak of?

Battle Arena Deed.

More info here: link

"[h=4]Web-Based Battle Arena - (Planned for Early 2015 Release)[/h]A web-based Battle Arena game is planned for early 2015. The game will be developed as a cross-platform solution available on the web and for mobile devices, and will have direct ties to the Entropia Universe taming system. Players will have the opportunity to acquire, upgrade and customise their pets for battle against the pets of others.

Entropia Universe participants will have the ability to acquire Battle Arena Deeds and share in the revenue and excitement of the Battle Arena action. 200,000 Battle Arena Deeds will be offered via the Entropia Universe in-game auction and upcoming webshop at 100 PED each. Revenues generated from the Battle Arena Deed offering will be used exclusively for Battle Arena development and marketing. More detailed information about the Battle Arena Deeds will be made available very soon."

<removed>

Anyway, I think CLD sell was a combination of they need some cash to finance the development and also that they wanted to lessen their dependent on Planet Calypso, making Calypso more equal to other planet partners.

<removed>

As far as debt, it is a fact of business. In fact debt is a very necessary tool for business, especially big business. There is no bad implication there, just a reality, when you get a solid contract, the assumption is that it will complete. That is naturally going to be used as leverage to invest in the business, it isn't their fault SEE failed. And in all honesty, CLD's were a very creative solution that was successful and deserves credit.

I point it out because that is what I do with our businesses here, reduce liability. In a litigious society, with millions at stake, it is a major priority. If no-one brings it up, MA may never think about it in that context.
I am a fan of MA, always have been. It is the very reason I will point out what I see if it helps avoid risk for them, which in this game, is our risk too.

<removed>

Saying that CLD's and all the other "investment" vehicles ONLY suck ped out of what would normally be cycled appears to willfully ignore over half the picture.

One of the biggest hurdles this game faces is the vocal minority of former players who don't deposit OR cycle anything any longer posting totally self-centered rants without even a tiny attempt at seeing the viewpoints and needs of every stakeholder in the bigger picture.

I don't know how BAD's will turn out. Sometimes the ultimate value of an idea isn't fully manifest until its implemented. We'll have to see the take-up on the entire idea from how well it attracts new players and money to the game to how profitable it is in relation to the time it took to develop it and will take to manage it.

The biggest thing this game needs is broader exposure and more players. From that one perspective I sometimes think the best possible thing that could happen is for this forum to just....disappear. And it ain't because its poorly run either.

Storm

No, please no... not another CLD thread :duh:

No, please no... not another CLD thread :duh:
Yeah... Then again, no other game forum i know of has nearly as much knowledge about economics, law and finance.
We're on the top of the world, literally.

do u remember that guy at the fair/circus who used to spin loads of plates on the top of sticks? there would be loads of plates spinning away when one plate would start to slow down and go all wobbly and would be just about to fall when the guy would just give the stick a little spin and it would keep going. sure a few plates fall down every now and then but he majority keep spinning.

thats kinda how i see cashflow management, something goes a bit wobbly and a nice bit of spin keeps it going for a while!

What makes me laugh is how little people understand when they bought their CLD's. You do understand that that makes you an actual owner in the equity of the planet right? So when you just load up on a ton of CLD's and then stop playing and try to pull out all the interest and not deposit anymore, that means that equity is coming out of the investment that you now own a portion of. Therefore the prices and return of said investment also go down to really you aren't making any return since when you pull money out you are taking it from yourself....

Saying that CLD's and all the other "investment" vehicles ONLY suck ped out of what would normally be cycled appears to willfully ignore over half the picture.

One of the biggest hurdles this game faces is the vocal minority of former players who don't deposit OR cycle anything any longer posting totally self-centered rants without even a tiny attempt at seeing the viewpoints and needs of every stakeholder in the bigger picture.

I don't know how BAD's will turn out. Sometimes the ultimate value of an idea isn't fully manifest until its implemented. We'll have to see the take-up on the entire idea from how well it attracts new players and money to the game to how profitable it is in relation to the time it took to develop it and will take to manage it.

The biggest thing this game needs is broader exposure and more players. From that one perspective I sometimes think the best possible thing that could happen is for this forum to just....disappear. And it ain't because its poorly run either.

Storm

+ Rep given .. couldn't have said it better :)

<removed>

... it isn't their fault SEE failed.

<removed>

Mostly right but we cant be so sure.
Aparently it looked like MA sold to SEE an box full of thigs inside but once SEE opened box they found it almost empty.
You remeber their need to introduce shinkiba in place of Daikiba ?
Also player comunity belived that all what is on Calypso belong to Calypso as original part of it.
We got to know latter that most things on Calypso are generic and MA owned (intelecual propriety that seem was not sold with Calypso) and that PP can use/$$$$$$?? on any planet.
As both part dont talk abot we can suppose anything and we found most handy that SEE is a looser who didnt pay and didnt respect contract

As both part dont talk abot we can suppose anything and we found most handy that SEE is a looser who didnt pay and didnt respect contract
Considering they ended up in arbitration (just one step from a court case), I think it's a safe bet it wasn't as clear-cut.

As to the reason for the CLD's, that's obvious: MA didn't get the 6 mil USD it had expected from selling Calypso to SEE. It had already spent the money and badly needed it to survive. No bank (obviously) would give them a loan, so they (the collective of CEO and board members) came up with the idea of selling 50% of calypso income for the exact same amount they had already placed in their books.

That the company (AR/Calypso/whatever) was seemingly gifted to to the major owners son (what, you think Kim paid any "market" value for Calypso? Muahaha!) was just icing on the cake.

Not to forget that they are and will be buying most of their deeds back in time. There is no mention anywhere in the deeds FAQ or description about them not being allowed to do that. Smartest thing MA has done in a while

Not to forget that they are and will be buying most of their deeds back in time. There is no mention anywhere in the deeds FAQ or description about them not being allowed to do that. Smartest thing MA has done in a while

Has this been announced from MA or Planet Calypso somewhere? Do MA official characters buy CLDs at the auction?

Ciao, Armin

You may be right, but this will happen only when the clds have dropped significant below 1000 ped market value.

ofc the reason to sell CLD was they(MA) needed money... and they will find something to sell to the playerbase whenever they need money again: Hello Medusa, Moon, Stables, BADs..

no problem with that, but please stop buying castles :yup:

Back