Compet Battles - Gamasutra

News Bot

Guardian

Compet Battles
[SIZE=-1]Gamasutra[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The new Competition Pet (ComPet) system will provide features of Entropia Universe, including creature clashes, and bring them together in an exciting smartphone, tablet and web browser application. Smartphone, tablet and browser users will be able to ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=dh4aU43-gHTNxdM&authuser=0&ned=us[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

Entropia Universe comes to smartphones with pet battle system - Joystiq

Entropia Universe comes to smartphones with pet battle system
[SIZE=-1]Joystiq[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]If you couldn't get enough of Entropia Universe's RMT-based virtual world gameplay on your PC, the devs have announced today that the game will soon be coming to several additional platforms, including smartphones and tablets. Through the new ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=dvsbEkldcZ-JKaM&authuser=0&ned=us[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

That image.

I like it very much.

project-entropia.jpg

Reactions: Mac
It's certainly getting some publicity...
I'm starting to think this MIGHT be a winner for MA...

It's certainly getting some publicity...
I'm starting to think this MIGHT be a winner for MA...
A LOT of things have gotten same kind of publicity for MA in the past (random game sites), way more than this one so far (granted, still in early stages), but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Amazing mess. An app that's officially unrelated to EU allows to experience it, and all that furnished with a screenshot from PE pre-gold.

The author should be locked in a cave with boorums.

Amazing mess. An app that's officially unrelated to EU allows to experience it, and all that furnished with a screenshot from PE pre-gold.

Boorum males! With an tube of lube, ever so lovingly mixed with fine particles of glass! :silly2: Hey if your going to wish someone well, make it with love! :yup: Pass the iodine! :wtg:

...am I reading this wrong, or has Kim created virtual dog fights?

it's not dog fights, it's pokemon.

it's not dog fights, it's pokemon.
Which is, essentially, dog fights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting
"Dog fighting is a type of blood sport, generally defined as pitting two game dogs against one another in a ring or a pit for the entertainment of the spectators or the gratification of the dogfighters"
No matter if they're pandas or Chirpies, the principle is pretty much the same.

yeah WTF is that

That's the original Foul. And no I have no idea why they've used an image from the PE days.

If it ever reaches us then I'll probably do what most will do, load it once then remove it from my tablet.

From the sounds of it they've already made it vastly more complex to use than the average point and click phone game that most people expect.

Last edited:
/mod note/ merged multiple threads.

LoL

But when you think about it... People who never saw EU just see that image... they never even try EU... It is ugly... Cant it be new image?

As I have said before, I will not be downloading this app.

I use my smart phone for work only and I have no interest in downloading (any) games to it.

On another note I really hope this works out for MA as it might have a knock on effect to bringing new blood to EU. :money:

Yeah "Pay to play and win peds" until they realise they will pay instantly, likely to loose money and even if they win they'd have to wait months to withdraw......

I haven't played in a while and have left a chunk of ped and assets in game because I can't be assed downloading the game again and waiting 80 days for withdrawal.

Details on gameplay were released in this if no one noticed.

Smartphone, tablet and browser users will be able to compete with one another by selecting one of the many pets available in the ComPet application. There are various maturity and price levels available to fit players of all types, including a free-to-play version. Once a pet has been selected the user will choose a number of "buffs" and "add-ons" that can both personalize the pet and enhance its combat prowess. Next, users carefully prepare a unique battle plan; this is a set of special instructions for the pet on how to engage its rival. Once the user is satisfied with the pet configuration, the pet can be entered into the ComPet Arena or enlisted for defense duty at the user's home base. In any battle, trainers can win real cash prizes. If players play for free they can win special pet upgrades and points; if played for PED (Project Entropia Dollars), they can win more PED, which can be exchanged for real cash. For more information please see the ComPet webpage at

EDIT Wow, nvm, I swear I do not remember reading that in the original announcement...

Assumptions underlying the graph:

1. That the average user lifespan will be six months
2. That 80% of the users will play for free and 20% will pay to play
3. That the Average Revenue per Paying User and month (ARPU) will be 3 USD.

It would be great if MA knew anything about the mobile game industry before making these assumptions.

Average user lifespan on mobile is less than 3 months for most games http://www.flurry.com/bid/108904/Benchmarking-the-Half-Life-and-Decay-of-Mobile-Apps#.U9VB67F0fw8
Getting 20% of the users to pay is as unlikely as me getting an uber in EU. Normally getting 3% of your players to pay is considered good in a freemium game. http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/conversion-rate/
Also an ARPU of 3 USD is nuts. http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/arppu-in-freemium-games/ (note that these numbers are for ARPPU (per paying user, thus it's higher) MA's estimate is for all users.

(note that these numbers are for ARPPU (per paying user, thus it's higher) MA's estimate is for all users.

The text actually says "per paying user", though:
3. The Average Revenue per Paying User and month (ARPU) will be 3 USD

So it's just a difference in how it's shortened, right?

The text actually says "per paying user", though:

So it's just a difference in how it's shortened, right?

Ok missed that part :D But ARPPU and ARPU is not the same thing so yet another thing they got wrong ;D

Compet News : Article released by Gamasutra

Compet Battles
Gothenburg, Sweden - July 7, 2014

Entropia Universe AB, the largest Massively Multiplayer Online Real Cash Economy (MMORCE) game, announced today that gamers will soon be able to experience Entropia Universe on several additional platforms. The new Competition Pet (ComPet) system will provide features of Entropia Universe, including creature clashes, and bring them together in an exciting smartphone, tablet and web browser application.

Smartphone, tablet and browser users will be able to compete with one another by selecting one of the many pets available in the ComPet application. There are various maturity and price levels available to fit players of all types, including a free-to-play version. Once a pet has been selected the user will choose a number of "buffs" and "add-ons" that can both personalize the pet and enhance its combat prowess. Next, users carefully prepare a unique battle plan; this is a set of special instructions for the pet on how to engage its rival. Once the user is satisfied with the pet configuration, the pet can be entered into the ComPet Arena or enlisted for defense duty at the user's home base. In any battle, trainers can win real cash prizes. If players play for free they can win special pet upgrades and points; if played for PED (Project Entropia Dollars), they can win more PED, which can be exchanged for real cash. For more information please see the ComPet webpage at http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2014/07/04/ComPet-app-deeds.xml.

Additionally, any player can be part of this revenue opportunity and earn PED when smartphone, tablet and web browser users play the new Entropia Universe ComPet App. Before launch, 200,000 ComPet Deeds, priced at 100 PED (10 USD) each, will be made available through the webshop and in the Entropia Universe auction. Deeds can be acquired by anyone with an Entropia Universe account, even those who may not have installed the full Entropia Universe PC client software. They can alternatively purchase deeds through the Virtual Tycoon Android mobile app and start earning revenue from ComPet activity, which is scheduled for launch in Q1 2015.

Deed holders will receive 30% of the gross ComPet revenue. In addition, the ComPet affiliate program will enable users to recruit their friends and earn a 15% share of their recruited users' activity. The remaining 70% (or 55% in the case of an affiliate-referred user) of revenue will go toward marketing, operation and support for the ComPet App. In conjunction with MindArk's accountants, Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC), the ComPet App accounts will be available for inspection and published on the Entropia Universe website.

The graph below shows the projected annual return on the ComPet deeds as a function of the number of paying users (potential additional revenue share from the affiliate program not included).

Assumptions underlying the graph:

1. The average user lifespan will be six months

2. 80% of the users will play for free and 20% will pay to play

3. The Average Revenue per Paying User and month (ARPU) will be 3 USD

See Original Post Here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/220433/Compet_Battles.php

Back