fastest way to skill DMG profession?

Kitch

Prowler
Hi, this is a mentoring question I had but not really sure.

Basically in this scenario:

A player wants to get both hit and dmg levels to say 21, the dmg profession is lower, say 15(dmg) 17(hit)

Should they carry on skilling with main weapon, till the dmg gets to 21, then chip out the hit prof to 21, or start using the secondary weapon that feeds into the dmg profession and try to kind of marry them up and reach 21 at same time? Or, skill the hit up to 21, then chip up the dmg to 21?

I have advised to go for mission rewards that raise the dmg, but am looking for the cheapest and fastest way really.

Advice?

Thanks!

FYI: Just been sent this :D I like how it looks all symmetrical :laugh:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Just keep skilling with the main weapon until damage gets to 21. There is no additional benefit to these two being equal. There is additional benefit from getting hit on the main weapon to level 30.

Switching to another type of weapon can help too. I.e. from BLP to laser or melee. More of the dmg skills are shared across different weapon types than the hit skills, so your BLP damage will rise faster than your BLP hit while you skill laser, for example.

Yeah this is a complete non-issue. There's no benefit in having them the same. If the person wants them the same so they have SIB in both you can point out that SIB is not a big deal and they're always better off using a maxed weapon than one still in SIB.

If it has to be done for some neurotic reason then skilling e.g. pistoleer in the same damage type if the main profession is sniper will boost the damage faster than the hit.

There are relatively few damage profession type rewards because so many of the damage skills are unlocked.

cheapest and fastest way
There's nearly perfect negative correlation between 'cheap' and 'fast', and this needs to be reminded often to all newbies (and some veterans, too).

Technically, the cheapest way would be fapping for decay to gain Anatomy - the cost is negative as you get your expenses covered plus an occasional tip - just that five levels in damage profession could take a time span only paleontologists can grasp.

The fastest is, of course, chipping in - but then one probably shouldn't chip past lvl 18 as RDA grows pretty fast for some time after unlocking it.

I'm unusual then, I got lvl 37.2 laser sniper hit, lvl 37.4 laser dmg, lvl 37.1 laser pistoler hit.

No real benefit going balanced with the exception of more options in L guns. although I have ul sib gun and rarely use L weapons but for some reason I keep switching guns rather than sticking with one :D I guess I'm weird that way.

If it has to be done for some neurotic reason then skilling e.g. pistoleer in the same damage type if the main profession is sniper will boost the damage faster than the hit.

Yeah thats pretty much what I got them doing

Yeah thats pretty much what I got them doing

You should be having them get the unlocks ASAP, as others have mentioned, not diddling around worrying about a perfect balance. As the unlocks for Hit and Damage profs happen, the relative rate of gain of the two will change around, so this is not something to worry about except for making a (somewhat lame) challenge out of it.

I suggest you to to chose anatomy skill form the mission when you can!

It is the best skill for a newbie hunter because:
-will raise all your DMG professions
-will raise your paramedic profession
-will give you health

Im not asking about unlocks or tips on mentoring I know about unlocks :duh:

I already told them to get the anatomy and laser wep tech rewards which is most efficient way ped wise,

balance between speed/cost would be skill the hit up then chip in anatomy or laser tech

This is a unique situation and not something I told them to do and the 21levels is an arbitrary number to pose the quesiton

Basically the answer is "No" there is no better/other options than the ones I already thought of.

cheers

cheap = keep shooting and get enough markup to break even
fast = chipping with the use of chipping optimizer

i usually switch weapon type and ammo type to cross skill (laser hg -> blp rifle or laser rifle)

it allows me to use more L guns, and gain some more hp from the easier skill gains assuming rifle is low in comparison to hg in this situation.

Isn't the imbalance a result of the unlocks of dmg and hit skills coming at different times?

After "ranged damage assessment", the dmg skill should be progressing again.

If you want to keep dmg and hit skills more equal, then one way to reduce the gain in one of them a bit could be to switch weapons. Changing from laser rifle to laser handgun (or other way around), would mean that dmg skills could go up after than hit skills, on the primary weapon.

In reply to 2 last post, it's worth mentioning - 1st priority should always be achieving skill unlocks. After u got em u free to do whatever u want.

If u believe above is true then switching a weapon is a bad idea (i.e. BLP Rifle -> BLP Pistol)
Switching both dmg line and also weapon type is the worst u can possibly do (i.e. BLP Rifle -> Laser Pistol)

From max efficiency viewpoint violating those basic rules is mighty stupid.
I've done it anyway, and several times...
:laugh:

In reply to 2 last post, it's worth mentioning - 1st priority should always be achieving skill unlocks. After u got em u free to do whatever u want.

If u believe above is true then switching a weapon is a bad idea (i.e. BLP Rifle -> BLP Pistol)
Switching both dmg line and also weapon type is the worst u can possibly do (i.e. BLP Rifle -> Laser Pistol)

From max efficiency viewpoint violating those basic rules is mighty stupid.
I've done it anyway, and several times...
:laugh:

Yup, from a skillgain efficiency standpoint the optimum is to pick a single weapon class and type and stick with it until the last unlock, especially with traditional weapons (as opposed to MF). That would take a lot of discipline and isn't really the funnest way but there it is.

However in this case he made it clear he wants to keep them matched up, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.

neither way will skill the dmg faster though will it? so before the rda unlock, 2 scenarios

lv 16 hit(sniper)
lv 13 dmg (laser)

1. u carry on using rifle till u hit lv 18 dmg
2. u start using pistol, which slows down sniper hit progress

Will the dmg progress at the same speed for both? excluding SIB's

Edit: I suppose really for skilling nothing will beat using the SIB weapon on the largest mobs you can safely handle so the above two scenarios may not be that relevant

Last edited:
However in this case he made it clear he wants to keep them matched up, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.
Yes, and i think i know why.
It's the constant pull from bigger/better/more eco SIB weapons you could buy from auction.
Your mentor said u should always use only fully maxed weapons. You at least got that right.

So u look at the gun on AU. Hit, maxed. Good. :)
Dmg, not maxed. Damn! :(
What's your next question? Right. It's "How could i get my hit and dmg equal so i could start using the next maxed weapon?"

It's a trap, don't fall for it.
Just ignore the fact that your hit prof is higher and skill up your dmg normally.
From the efficiency viewpoint there's no shortcuts. None whatsoever.
You will not regret that your Hit prof is well ahead once u get Killstrike... or so i'm told.

(From the having fun and fooling around viewpoint there's plenty... :wtg: Smartest among them, skip skilling entirely and chip up.)

Last edited:
Yes, and i think i know why.
It's the constant pull from bigger/better/more eco SIB weapons you could buy from auction.
Your mentor said u should always use only fully maxed weapons. You at least got that right.

So u look at the gun on AU. Hit, maxed. Good. :)
Dmg, not maxed. Damn! :(
What's your next question? Right. It's "How could i get my hit and dmg equal so i could start using the next maxed weapon?"

It's a trap, don't fall for it.
Just ignore the fact that your hit prof is higher and skill up your dmg normally.
From the efficiency viewpoint there's no shortcuts. None whatsoever.
You will not regret that your Hit prof is well ahead once u get Killstrike... or so i'm told.

(From the having fun and fooling around viewpoint there's plenty... :wtg: Smartest among them, skip skilling entirely and chip up.)

wroooooooooooooonggg :laugh:

Also: chipping is not a good choice here as she seems to be one of the lucky avatars who can complete whole iron missions and break even or profit in TT...

neither way will skill the dmg faster though will it? so before the rda unlock, 2 scenarios

lv 16 hit(sniper)
lv 13 dmg (laser)

1. u carry on using rifle till u hit lv 18 dmg
2. u start using pistol, which slows down sniper hit progress

Will the dmg progress at the same speed for both? excluding SIB's

Short term the damage goes at the same rate, yes. The only difference between sniper and pistoleer is the handgun/rifle skill, which doesn't affect damage. The point is that conventional wisdom holds that you get both more skills and faster progression (because low levels go faster) once you get the unlocks, so even somewhat long term you are better off just sticking with one weapon.

Back