FYI: Dealing With Kill Stealers during Migration...

Status

HardWrath

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Max HardWrath Mayhem
So every migration, no matter how good MindArk makes the spawns, no matter how spread out, no matter how dense, some people will do whatever possible to exploit MindArk's systems to gain a financial advantage, including Kill Stealing.

KSing is an exploit, make no mistake. If you spend peds damaging a mob and taking armor decay but then someone purposefully comes along, ignores mobs standing right next to them that no one has shot, and then starts shooting your mob there is a specific reason. That reason is they are trying to save themselves a few ped on the kill... at your expense. It is an exploit in the system that MindArk has created.

I shouldn't have to use my top DPS all of the time, especially when hunting small Longtooth. Small LT are the perfect mob for skilling Melee, MindForce, and other professions that most of us are a bit lower in skilled on. With that said, I do make a point to bring a 80-90 DPS weapon with me to deal with the occasional Kill Stealer and for most of them, that's sufficient.

So we can deal with KSers in various ways. We can out DPS them and we can ask them in chat to stop. For most that works, but others continue, so then we can move to a different area... but then some will follow you. Some still continue, so you can argue it in chat.. but then some still continue and this is the point in which it breaks the EULA because they are ruining the game play experience of other participants.

At this stage after experiencing this, some people will get into an all out argument in chat with the KSer, leave the hunting area completely, do mob trains, call in others from their soc and form a team, file a support case, etc.

Today I decided to try something new, using new features that MindArk has made available.

First, I opened Contacts and unchecked all the radio buttons except for "Nearby"

<removed>

From there you can click on the persons name and navigate your way to Society Info about their soc just the same as if you were at the society terminal. Most good societies will boot a member for this kind of behavior but every once in awhile, it's the society leader who is doing it

<removed>

So in situations like this, its easy to condemn an entire society, especially when its the soc leader/founder who is acting like this because one would assume this isnt the first time this has happened. Yet, in this example I recognize some of these names and believe they are good people. So maybe they just dont know?

So with the new features available to us, I also opened up my Message Center which is the little button that looks like a WiFi logo on the top left of our screens. While standing out among the LongTooth spawn, I composed a new message and using the list of society members, I sent an offline message to every person in that society I possibly could. Thankfully we can send bulk messages to numerous people at once.

I think the normal reaction people would have to this is to message me back and ask questions and ask for proof. <removed>

So at this stage, I'm just not gonna play their game, a small chat argument ensued and ended like this

<removed link>

From that point, I just stood there without moving, shooting, or doing anything until they got bored and left. I suppose I could have asked others in my soc to come help with DPS but thats a bit childish.

Unfortunately until MindArk starts more diligently enforcing its own harassment policies, there just isn't a whole lot we can do aside from spreading awareness of these issues. Thus, here we are in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where it needed to be caught on stream.

Btw... in before Max is temp banned by overmods.

Btw... in before Max is temp banned by overmods.

Well, Im not naming and shaming scammers here. Threads like this get posted every migration and throughout the year so I dont see how this is any different.

/mod note/
2.3 - Personal Disputes
Personal issues between individuals or societies should NOT be debated in the public forum areas and are not permitted. Such threads will be removed without notice, since they often promote an escalation of rudeness, insults, and flaming. If you feel that another member has attacked you unfairly, send a private message to a forum moderator or administrator. If you feel that an Entropia Universe participant has wronged, defrauded or harassed you, file a support case at PlanetCalypso.com.

So - discuss the issue of killstealing by all means BUT keep it to the general, rather than specific personal/soc issues.

I guess he will need to post this over at EP or somewhere else where people can actually read about events and (in other events) scammers to save themselves hundreds of thousands of ped.

/mod note/

So - discuss the issue of killstealing by all means BUT keep it to the general, rather than specific personal/soc issues.

One of these days we will need to have a public debate on whether or not the rules of this forum are too draconian, and if they are in fact a real disservice to the EU community as a whole.

I guess he will need to post this over at EP or somewhere else where people can actually read about events and (in other events) scammers to save themselves hundreds of thousands of ped.

Done. :)

I like the idea with informing their soc leader. Actually that's what i always try 1st.
Didn't know u can access soc info right from the FL. Neat!

Something everybody already knows, but i'll write it down here again just in case:

Fast'n'easy way to deal with any stalker: Set online status -> "Invisible". Use good old TP chip.
Will take ages to find you again, even if u only jumped a few hundred meters.
( and if u dont have TP chip, get one, or ppl might get the wrong impression u some useless noob. :p )

I dealt with the same problem and when I lecture the person in chat everyone else in the area lectures me for lecturing them.....:rolleyes:

You know, in the past I on occasion had the kill steal problem and I never thought to come whine on the forum...

Get more dps, or film it and file a support case.

You know, in the past I on occasion had the kill steal problem and I never thought to come whine on the forum...

Get more dps, or film it and file a support case.

Yeah cause trying to reason is a bad way to solve things....

My take on it.

Enable PVP all over EU, things will adjust.

Never had problems with killstealers, but if somebody would try, just use your high DPS gun, and they will get bored within two mobs (and if not, it's free help for you :))

I don't want to support KSing, but still I somehow like that you can just come and rule the place if you have highest DPS, why not, it's fair.

Yeah cause trying to reason is a bad way to solve things....

My take on it.

Enable PVP all over EU, things will adjust.

In my experience trying to reason with someone intentionally kill stealing you is a waste of keystrokes.

In my experience trying to reason with someone intentionally kill stealing you is a waste of keystrokes.

I meant reasoning about it on forum, the part you took as Hardwrath whining.

Mhhh just let MA make it pvp area so you can kill the guy doing it :D

Mhhh just let MA make it pvp area so you can kill the guy doing it :D

I would love that, but then you just just people whining that person X killed them over and over..
And believe me it would be a lot more complains that we have now about KSing :D

Like, even now, people are sending support cases that they are having bad experience because other people kill them in PVP areas and believe it or not, MA is sending warnings to PKers for that :D

So far I am still more inclined to say that if you don't have enough DPS and the guy next to it does and he decides to KS just deal with it, skill up and next time bring bigger gun :D

I meant reasoning about it on forum, the part you took as Hardwrath whining.

Worthless. How do you "reason" about kill stealing on a forum?

Worthless. How do you "reason" about kill stealing on a forum?

*sigh* obviously youre just here to fuck around....

and oh, if this thread and its purpose is so "worthless" and not worthy your attention, what are you doing in it?

go do something more constructive, like shouting out the window at kids playing , or complain about the weather.

Last edited:
Never had problems with killstealers, but if somebody would try, just use your high DPS gun, and they will get bored within two mobs (and if not, it's free help for you :))

I don't want to support KSing, but still I somehow like that you can just come and rule the place if you have highest DPS, why not, it's fair.

Fair wud be that you buy LA, pay for DNA ect and then use your highest DPS as you want and rule your own place lol.
For me asking player to change his hunting syle just because there is an kser and pull his highest DPS gun out dont work well.
Do you hunt eomon with opalo and if kser is near then you pull out mod merc ?
How you deal with Team KSers?
An what if KSer have realy high DPS gun like mod merc - shud we ask player to pull out and decay 500 usd prototype just to defend his mob and possible loot of few peds?

Maybe wud be also fair that once KSer come and "rule the place" that all stop hunting, decaying and burning their peds and wait MA to decide what to do with that high dps gun dude.

Maybe in future we will see instanced migrations as we see mery mayhem instanced to solwe all those problems.

MM is already instanced.

Mindark should make some herds on the pvp enabled continent too and problem is solved.

Really what they should do is make it so people cant kill steal. If you shoot a mob and do damage to it then if I come along and start shooting it, that mob should be unreachable to me unless you allow it to regen to full health.

Something like that would solve a lot of problems.

A person shouldnt have to be using their top DPS all of the time.

Make no mistake, Kill Stealing is in fact an exploit. Whenever you take advantage of game mechanics in order to cause a financial gain/savings for yourself at the expense of others, it is an exploit.

I hate Kill "Stealers" I hope a potato would grow up their ass.
But Support will not do more than say " I forward it to another department"

A while back I set camp on one of the feffoid tents to finish my iron mission.
Since they are a relatively small mob I used the Modified LR32 and a Bear armor.
Here comes a guy into the tent and out of the 3 mobs spawned he starts shooting mine and looted it... i figured it was a mistake and i didnt even say anything.
Next mob same thing, so I told him that is was mine while I tagged another, and... he takes it too!

At this point I know its not a mistake and while sending a support case I pull out the T8 Strikhammer so I could outdamage al the next mobs.
Since he could not kill steal anymore this guy spawned 2 vehicles inside the tent to prevent me from shooting my mob and ran around the vehicles trying to shoot them when I couldnt reach!

All of this I caught on video and sent to support, including the guy's name and screen shots!
And what happened to this guy? nothing!

I would say to post that video on pcf but it would get deleted. Can't have that.

I don't like kill stealing too but I don't want Eu to become an overregulated environment. Setting new rules like for example claiming a mob for one person/team after the first shoot will always end up with new ways to exploit the Situation. Lets say there is a limited spawn and a team just tag every mob around or someone tag a mob and block something with it or run off with a special mob and hide it so nobody can do this mob for weeks. There are also spawns that are contested and not really for skilling up where I like the idea of the biggest gun or the biggest team get the mobs. Not even mentioning the ability to disturb hunting bots witch would go wild if such a system would be installed.

It flatten the sandbox and reduces the need to speak with each other. As more regulated a world become by enforced rules and systems as more the general arrogance of player grows because there is no need for manners anymore since the game got every possible situation covered where someone can spit in your soup. Eu is for me about freedom, even the freedom to fuck up something. We don't need more rules, we need more ways to deal with people that don't play by the "rules".

Kill stealing is not an exploit. At least MA has said so in the past.

At most it is harassment, but please don't bog down support with stuff like this. Just deal with it.

People have gotten too soft.

Hands up this post is aimed at ME!

The fact of the matter is here what defines kill stealing???

Hardwrath had a bunch mobs on him some guy took one he whined in local I lectured him telling him not to be greedy...

Soon he was in my inside radar and again had 4 mobs on him as I killed mine and looted it, turning seeing him with multiple mobs and only atking ONE!!! I proceeded to tag and kill one to which HE turned and started shooting with his big DPS and HE in turn KS'd ME!!! I moved to my next mob and AGAIN HE started shooting this although this time I WON the kill!

He then started crying about how I was kill stealing mobs from him as he had speant money letting them chew his armour etc.... End of the day he had 4 mobs on him full health and 1 he was atking I took a full HP mob from him and in turn IMO and many others I was NOT KSing!!

He then proceeds to PM my soc mates and tell lies about how i was siding with a known scammer (no clue who the guy was or what the scam was or even what i sided with him about) etc and used unsavoury words towards him and now is posting in PCF and probably other forums about me and this issue!

My stance is DONT BE GREEDY with the mobs plenty to go round but if your close to me and you have multiple mobs full HP and those happen to be the closest to me i'm taking one wether you like it or not!

This stance IS IMO NOT KILL STEALING!

EDIT: He also told me in white chat "if you dont stop i'll follow you around and KS every mob till you log off" now who is condoning KSing?

Last edited:
I think in a situation like this, Migration, 'kill stealing' isn't so black and white. Migration and other such non instanced events don't have a huge spawn with plenty to go around. Much of the time, there are more people than mobs around. While I do not believe in brazenly taking a mob off another player where that player is obviously killing the mob, I also believe that others should not attempt to be greedy and hoarde the mobs around them.

In an area where population is dense and spawns are sparse which is worse, taking a mob off another player which said player isn't killing or trying to tag/hoarde as many mobs as you can and yelling kill stealer when someone takes one of those mobs away from you.

If you aren't shooting it and there isn't enough to go around then don't be greedy and don't have a tantrum when someone pulls you up on it and eases your decay bill.

I agree, when one guy in a field of green dots has agroed all the mobs to him, he's not playing nice and it's ok to take them from him. Killstealing only refers to the mob you're actively killing, not the ones you "had your eye on" or had "pre-agroed" being greedy.

Also, if you don't return to your mob immediately after being killed, don't blame someone else for finishing it off.

Make all mobs shared loot, problem solved. <-- Kidding of course.

I agree with others though, ksing isn't well defined. When someone intentionally takes the mob you are attacking to save ped rarely happens to me. When it does, I tp to another hunting spot, it is irritating but again happens little to me.

I don't think what happened here really was ksing, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Back