Weapon question.

dabrixmgp

Old
This isnt really a which weapon to use when question. Just wondering what the differences between all the different types are. Like is BLP better than Laser? Or is Pistol better than Rifle? Is one better than the other in certain situations? Is one more Eco than the other? Or is it all just personal preference?

It's all subjective and subtle. Generally blp has more dps but less eco than laser; pistols have more dps than rilfes and are kinda more eco because of smaller dmg per hit and thus less overkill, but mobs reach you earlier so you end up with greater armor decay; but all that aren't rules, there are exceptions and all depends on your playstyle.

Eco is important but you can't consider it without other stats and situation. Like, if one gun is way more eco than the other but it takes you twice as much time to kill a mob with it, your armor/fap repair bills will nullify all the eco advantages.

is there any reason to raise all of them? do i even need to raise melee weapon skills?

Some people dont, but there are a lot of benefits to having skills in most hunting professions

For now I would focus on one thing and get that up to level 30 or 40 and then evaluate.

Beside points the other posters already mentioned,
a good pint is weapon availability at a ceratain level and the eco you can get at a certain level.
When you compare amps available for low damage weapons for example you see that there are no UL low damage amps for BLP available.

That means to enhance eco and damage on low level weapons laser is a good choice in the beginning, but that changes as your level raises and BLP becomes a more viable option ( ofc you can also use (L) amps for BLP on low levels, but you need to calculate up to which price using it makes sense in terms of economy , Availability of (L) might also come into play). With the amp from the starter pack or an A101 you have good UL options for low damage for example.

On later levels there are more considerations as well - for example availability of limited weapons. Here it might be an advantage to be able to utilize as many different types as possible, because then you can react better to market conditions and there is no need to wait until something pops up which is short in supply.

Then it might be you want to skill something for a purpose, like defensive skills. Here you might prefer Short ranged weapons like pistols or melee, as you get more skills in this area as you get hit more.

Or you want to skill attributes. Strength is pretty useful as it allows you to carry more before becoming slow. Or you like to raise your HP, which can be done quickly with Melee as well. So quite a few considerations. A good point can be cheap availability of powerful UL weapons, like it is for a lot of Melee weapons now ( but might change due to Melee AMps )

Personally i prefer being cross skilled in many different professons as it allows me to experiment quite a lot, the downsize is that it might take me ages for certain unlocks ( Well That would be commando in my case ).

But when you start you should try to focus on one thing first. I suggest Melee so start with as you raise strength and HP and defense skills. LAter on you might already have some ideas what to try next.

I agree with whats written above for the most part,cross training has some benefits but not to the extent that you need to skill both blp and laser IMHO.

about wich is better,laser,mele,blp or whatever this is my view:

if all other things are equal this is better
eco
range (less defense cost)
Quick reload (less wasted in final shot and quicker to fap)
more dpp (damage per second)
can use amp (amp are more eco than weapon so better overall eco, MF and support weapons has no amp yet)
lower MU (weather UL or L)
gives HP (mind force weapon does not)

I'm sure I missed some

nero

To avoid a high purchase bill, I would recommend skilling longblades as well as a ranged weapon.
Longblades is interesting because you can skill up to 56 dps using Unlimited sib weapons that dont cost more than 1500 ped.
From TT longblade to laconian sword, falx, electrifier sword, philosopher, hero, archon, immolation sword, shagadi sword.

Shagadi with trauma IV amp does 86 dmg at 54 reload with good eco.

Beside points the other posters already mentioned,
a good pint is weapon availability at a ceratain level and the eco you can get at a certain level.
When you compare amps available for low damage weapons for example you see that there are no UL low damage amps for BLP available.

That means to enhance eco and damage on low level weapons laser is a good choice in the beginning, but that changes as your level raises and BLP becomes a more viable option ( ofc you can also use (L) amps for BLP on low levels, but you need to calculate up to which price using it makes sense in terms of economy , Availability of (L) might also come into play). With the amp from the starter pack or an A101 you have good UL options for low damage for example.

On later levels there are more considerations as well - for example availability of limited weapons. Here it might be an advantage to be able to utilize as many different types as possible, because then you can react better to market conditions and there is no need to wait until something pops up which is short in supply.

Then it might be you want to skill something for a purpose, like defensive skills. Here you might prefer Short ranged weapons like pistols or melee, as you get more skills in this area as you get hit more.

Or you want to skill attributes. Strength is pretty useful as it allows you to carry more before becoming slow. Or you like to raise your HP, which can be done quickly with Melee as well. So quite a few considerations. A good point can be cheap availability of powerful UL weapons, like it is for a lot of Melee weapons now ( but might change due to Melee AMps )

Personally i prefer being cross skilled in many different professons as it allows me to experiment quite a lot, the downsize is that it might take me ages for certain unlocks ( Well That would be commando in my case ).

But when you start you should try to focus on one thing first. I suggest Melee so start with as you raise strength and HP and defense skills. LAter on you might already have some ideas what to try next.

All of this is why try to balance my skills, I just got to level 43 Laser Pistol and my BLP Pistol is trailing at just under 40 but being able to use the Fi/Re/Co Beast amps makes up for the current less DPS on the BLP pistol. I agree with the comments above - start on laser then re-evaluate once you are skilled on a blp gun that can use the UL beast amp.

I agree with what people posted, but just one advice..

It's very hard to stick to just one weapon type, and mainly because of different weapons availability on different levels (let's say on level 30, there will be great pistol to use, but on level 40 no pistols but great rifle).

So you will end up skilling different types of weapons anyway, but my advice is try to stick to one main weapon and by stick to it, I mean really stick to it :)

Entropia is a long term game, and if you keep mixing what weapons you use you will never reach high level unlocks in timely manner.

Take this seriously , or you will find yourself in few years with different skills on level 60, but level 70 to unlock commando still far away :D

Take this seriously , or you will find yourself in few years with different skills on level 60, but level 70 to unlock commando still far away :D

Thats my situation. Started in 2004 , 220k + skills but skills all over the place, still far away from unlocking commando.

thanks for the advice. also i see a lot of high end people using pistols. are they better than rifles?

For high end people the advantage of range doesn't matter that much because with amount of HP on their mobs 90% of the combat happens face to face. So DPS wins.

For high end people the advantage of range doesn't matter that much because with amount of HP on their mobs 90% of the combat happens face to face. So DPS wins.

My own personal experience, I would prefer range, and weapons that have it, Ideally over 70meters. There are weapons that have a good balance. The rifles are slower, but have high damage (at my lvl) and enhancers and amps last much much longer. Range offers a tagger, and also gives you a chance to do some damage before the mob reaches you.

Another big plus, during events like shared mobs, having range with high dmg is a bonus. The mob running around, person to person, having range is key.

Ultimately, an equal balance among weapons is ideal, but I'd promote skilling range weapons.

The right tool for the right place.

I can tag from 160m for + 150 ped

Starting to produce heavvy dmg from 70m

When mob is on me, its stupid to use the rifle so then handgun or in my case a shortblade comes out.

Entropia is a long term game, and if you keep mixing what weapons you use you will never reach high level unlocks in timely manner.

Depends alot on what you want imo. I got blp/laser pistol/rifle all above lvl 85 after 3years ish and if you don't own a UL gun thats very nice to have since you can always use the guns with lowest markup. Targeting only one skill will make you waste a lot of ped in markup since you can't switch around that much. So if your goal is to play as eco as possible with L guns let markup decide what you shoot but if you want the quickest way to lvl 100 stick with one type.

When mob is on me, its stupid to use the rifle so then handgun or in my case a shortblade comes out.

i got a pair of the SI knives to use and really been liking them. Is it actually viable to use short blade end game? Seems like all the good melee weapons are long blades.

i got a pair of the SI knives to use and really been liking them. Is it actually viable to use short blade end game? Seems like all the good melee weapons are long blades.

I think the highest dps melee weapon ingame atm is a shortblade due to the speed and the new amps. Genesis Rainbow (longblade) and Genesis Prism of destruction (shortblade) is the two highest dps short/long-blades.

Melee is also cool cause you will get a lot of evade skill and gain HP faster than with any other weapon.

My own personal experience, I would prefer range, and weapons that have it, Ideally over 70meters. There are weapons that have a good balance. The rifles are slower, but have high damage (at my lvl) and enhancers and amps last much much longer. Range offers a tagger, and also gives you a chance to do some damage before the mob reaches you.

Another big plus, during events like shared mobs, having range with high dmg is a bonus. The mob running around, person to person, having range is key.

Ultimately, an equal balance among weapons is ideal, but I'd promote skilling range weapons.
Svarog must be mad at you cause you quoted him to write... this. :laugh:

nah take it easy, kiddin'

Back