Testing

Stormdancer

Dominant
Society
Bravo Three-Nil
Tarcoula Stormdancer Uluru
If you are reading this it is most likely because you have expressed interest in piloting for theViper's weekly repair skilling events on the Varyag.

Over time I intend to use this thread to communicate more fully with the pilot corps about how this event is organized and what will be expected of pilots as their part in the overall scheme.

There are a few changes (not huge) that returning pilots need to be aware of as we get rolling again. And this can perhaps serve as a "central" source of information for training new pilots as they are selected. I will be working on this thread for some time to come and eventually hope that it will become a "handbook" for new pilots to learn basic tactics for piloting for repair skillers.

For now, let me speak mainly to the returning pilots who will be manning the roster mostly in the first few voyages of this re-started effort.

The main change you guys need to be aware of is the fact that pilots have now become a more important element in managing repairs. As you will discover very soon, managing repairs on a Mothership with four repair points instead of two is a more complex task than managing repairs for two points as encountered with a Privateer.

The division of the skilling day into 3 discreet 8 hour shifts will remain the same, but what must change is the level of attention you will have to apply to your "off piloting" hours during your shift. As before, two pilots will be assigned to each 8 hour shift and each pilot will be flying and repair skilling in alternating 2 hour blocks, just like before.

The main difference will be that it will be necessary for pilots to be "awake" and actively balancing repairs, which on an MS means you may have to run back and forth to get to repair points that are getting dangerously low and out of balance with the other repair points. Failure to actively manage repairs will make it very difficult for your fellow pilot on shift to maximize his skill gains. So, more than ever this effort is dependent on a "teamwork" mindset with mutually supporting parts.

theViper is also going to need more help from pilots managing the ship's priorities than was demanded in the past. I will be outlining what those priorities are in more detail in the near future.

Also, the pilot's share of the rental cost has risen due to the fact we now have an MS and higher rental costs than before. The new cost share for each pilot is 20.00 ped per 8 hour shift (4hrs of piloting) or 10.00 ped per 2 hr piloting shift if you serve as "fill-in" for an unscheduled shift left open by another pilot.

That's the bad news :) The good news is that with greater SI depth to work with, pilot skilling is going to be faster on a "skills per hour" basis than it was. Preliminary tests I have made piloting for the Kronan indicate that after a very short period of getting used to the small differences between piloting an MS and piloting a Privateer, your skill gains should increase well over and above the higher cost structure. On a per hour basis your income potential, after expenses will almost certainly be greater even with the higher rental cost share.

The Pathfinder IX was a ship with very respectable SI of ~12K per repair point. But, as you know even with that we were struggling to maintain a good balance between maintaining stable afk repair skilling and pilot skilling. As the number of repairers increased we began to struggle to keep pilot skilling at a high level and still maintain a beneficial repair skilling situation.

The Varyag is a ship with SI of ~18K per repair point and 4 points to take damage instead of 2. The amount of damage you can take with the Varyag is several times what it was with Ganzo's ship, which means several things. Perhaps number one is the amount of time you have to return to TG after turreting before repairs fill up and cease for skillers. Smooth turnarounds that keep repairs going are much easier to do with the Varyag. IF the ship's health bars are balanced.

When its working the way it should, as pilot you will be able to gather mobs quickly and make more frequent turnarounds without sacrificing good repair skilling because your health bars fill up. It will take a bit of experience to discern the minor adjustments in tactics you use to pilot, but not a lot. Most of you will quickly pick up the differences and make the needed adjustments. As you do, you will be able to keep a greater proportion of "wet" mobs in your train a greater percentage of the time which will make very noticeable improvements in your "skills per hour" accumulation rates.

On this first voyage there will be much we need to accomplish. You guys who have pilot experience but have never been on an MS will need to plan to spend some time learning where the different repair points are and how to get from one to another quickly.

You will need to pay attention to, understand and provide direction to repair skillers who want to go afk. In most cases if a repair skiller lets you know they want to go afk you should direct them to HH (hangar) or PP (propulsion) and keep RR (reactor) and CC (command center) repair points available for more active skillers.

CC is MOST important to keep active skillers on because that is the repair point most accessible to the pilot if he ever needs to "hop the seat" and top up repairs in the middle of a run. It will be up to you "off" pilots to know what needs doing and be constantly informing repair skillers how best to set up for everyone's best interest.

I hope you guys can understand why a more active role for pilots is now necessary. If not I think the need will become clear once you have seen the ship in operation.

This is a bit "rough and ready" at this point but over time I expect this thread to be the touchpoint for communicating with pilots, both old and new and a place we can outline in detail exactly how all the moving parts are designed to work together to provide a good result for all concerned.

For now, returning pilots, welcome back. Thank you for all the effort you guys put into getting this started when risks were high and we didn't even know what we didn't know yet :)

We've learned a lot and now its time to make the adjustments necessary to ensure this project can go forward on a regular, sustainable basis with a "win" in it for everyone involved. I sincerely hope the new level of effort and commitment we are now asking for from returning pilots is not too onerous, but if you feel it is then we do understand and sincerely appreciate all the effort you shared with us getting this far.

And, we're off and running again! The main thing I need at this point is for all to be aware that there are new responsibilities and skills/experience to obtain before this can work to its full potential for all concerned. Here is a list of the priorities you, the pilot must develop the ability to manage as we go forward....in order of importance:

1. Your first and primary responsibility is to provide uninterrupted repairs for repair skillers, and seek first and foremost to apply your piloting skills to keeping repairs constant, unceasing and continuous for the maximum amount of time possible and constantly be seeking to reduce and if possible eliminate ever having any repair point fill up at all.

2. Be available to manage/balance repairs for your fellow pilot during the "off piloting" hours of your 8 hour shift. As "Chief Engineer" your duties will not only be to balance repairs but to also be monitoring force chat, answering questions that skillers may have quickly and accurately, being aware of which points need what and directing any "awake" repair skillers that may be available to the repair point they should be on. During these times the ship's reputation as a "friendly" place to be will be in your hands and your responsibility to maintain. I expect pilots to be aware of who is aboard, what their needs are and most especially who is new. New players who are repair skilling for the first time will need a guided tour of the ship and instructions on how to quickly get from one repair point to another for "emergency balancing". It is the "off pilot's" responsibility to be aware of that need and provide that tour of the ship as needed for new skillers. Don't leave our skillers lost, floundering and confused about what they need to be doing. Please be generous enough to take the time to welcome skillers aboard as they log on or join the ship and bid them farewell when they are ready to leave.

3. In concert with your "off pilot" assistant, maximize your own skilling and profit when its your turn to pilot.

A word to new pilots:

Welcome aboard guys, this is an opportunity that is not easy to obtain in EU. Piloting opportunities for MS and Privateers are limited and valuable. You very likely will not get a seat this week or next. Its not going to happen overnight.

One thing you need to be aware of is that senior pilots who were a part of the previous project will be given priority when it comes to pilot scheduling. Exact methods of managing the pilot roster are still being tweaked, but those who took the risks and dared to try and suffered through the learning process we endured to get this project off the ground will have precedence and preference over those who are now entering into the benefit of the sacrifices the senior pilots made to get us this far.

I am one who believes that those who suffer and take risks when nothing is guaranteed should be able to benefit when their effort and risks begin to bear good fruit.

That may sound disappointing to some but rest assured that your effort when the time comes for you will be respected and appreciated in exactly the same way.

More to come over time....and looking forward to seeing any and all of you aboard the Varyag this coming weekend.

Very soon I will have posted here some information about what is involved in getting started as a trainee pilot. I am imagining some piloting "theory" that can be outlined here and very soon we will institute a new pilot training system that will get you into a co-pilot's seat to observe the techniques used by an experienced pilot and finally into the pilot's seat yourself for a run with an experienced pilot observing from the co-pilot's seat and giving advice on how you can maximize and balance the various priorities you will be responsible for maintaining as a pilot.

Stay tuned :)

Storm

Last edited:
TIME SENSITIVE INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED HERE - please check frequently :)

Guys again, this will be down and dirty...better organized as we go. For now I am just dumping bits and pieces of info as I think of them or as they get so important I cant ignore them any more.

Later I will organize this in a more readable, logical, "handbook" sort of format. For now what is important is that pilots who are able get TeamSpeak downloaded and operational.

We have the free use of a TeamSpeak server thanks to some gaming friends of mine. Pilot training is SO much easier when we can do it by voice, so getting TeamSpeak installed and working will end up being a critical point when we are deciding to add new pilots to the roster.

After you google TeamSpeak, get the download installed and put in this server address:

TeamSpeak Sever Address Deleted - we'll distribute it some other way

Pilots who have TS operational will be given priority over those who do not.

Last edited:
Piloting for skillers - The Theory

I think its helpful to think of this process in three stages: 1) Gathering the mob train; 2) Maintaining the skilling run; and 3.) Turreting.

1. Gathering the mob train:

Grab mobs fast, balance incoming damage to available repair capacity as quickly as possible with the aim of preventing health bars from filling up and repairs ceasing unnecessarily for afk skillers.

a. Line up on your first mob, move into agro range while assessing the locations of the next (closest) mobs. Plot a path in your mind to the next FEW mobs that will result in agroing the most mobs in the shortest amount of time. Use team target to obtain precise distances to mobs so you can plot the most efficient path for gathering mobs quickyly.

After you have agro'd that first mob run as fast as you can to your chosen second mob. You will outrun your first mob and it will stop shooting at you, which is fine. Once you have agro'd the second mob, run as fast as you can to your third and agro it. Repeat until you can sustain enough damage to keep bars from filling up and repairs ceasing. As you gain experience you will begin to know about how many mobs you need in your train based upon how many tools you have running below decks. Running quickly from one mob to the next and then letting them all catch up and taking damage is the fastest method I have discovered to build your mob train to sufficient size.

The idea here is to keep damage sustainable once you begin taking damage. This is something that you will need some practice to become expert at. It takes time and nothing close to perfection is expected for a beginning pilot. Its a balancing act that simply cannot be fully explained in writing.

Exactly how you tackle the job of gathering your mob train will vary greatly depending on how many skillers you are piloting for. The more skillers there are the more focused you must be on gathering large amounts of mobs quickly. The tactic of moving quickly toward the next mob (and outrunning your first few) is applicable when you have many skillers to keep busy. With few skillers there is a whole different strategy that will allow you to maintain appropriate damage levels while gaining the best possible rate of accumulation of your own spacecraft pilot skill points.

2 Maintaining the skilling run

a. Once you know you have sufficient damage to maintain repairs you continue to collect fresh mobs to maintain your pilot skilling, but perhaps at a less frantic pace. At this point you begin to manage damage intake by successively outrunning your mob train to a distance sufficient to make them stop shooting (but not so far they lose agro altogether and you leave dry mobs behind for the next pilot to deal with), let repairs catch up a bit and then slow down until the mobs close on you and begin firing again. Repeat.

b. Continue gathering fresh mobs and begin working your way back closer to SS. Eventually your mob train will be producing so much damage over and above what repair skillers can repair and your mobs will be almost all dry of pilot skills. At this point prior planning of your route should have you near the space station for the turreting phase.

3. TBC

Last edited:
Posts in the test forum NEVER rise to the top of the "new posts" list

testing is FUN!

Six reserved spots should do the trick for this particular test. This is only a test. In a real emergency you'd be dead already.

We chatted about me working with you as a pilot, I believe.

I have NO experience, but you said you were looking for someone at around GMT+8, which I am (Singapore).

I believe you mentioned 1 x 8 hours shift every 2 weeks, on a Saturday.

So let me know if you still want me for this.

Great write up! It helps to understand the expectations better for somebody who never did this kind of job.

Hopefully I get my pilot slot soon and can begin the learning period >D, but until then let's burn few Rks ;)

Welcome guys :) this is a kind of "in development" section of the project, but as time goes by we expect it to get bettter organized and be able to more clearly outline exactly how training and progression into a regular seat will work.

Getting in at this stage will give you a leg up though. It will be harder to get a seat as the permanent roster gets established and we only replace pilots via natural attrition.

So we'll try to keep you posted but you guys may jump the que this weekend if returning pilots dont fill up the roster. We'll have to see how it proceeds.

Gl and see you soon :)

Storm

and yes the-unkown, we still need you

I had you in mind for that middle shift on the roster because that is such difficult hours for most in the US or Europe to fill. In Singapore its very likely that shift will fall much more in line with a normal schedule as we discussed. So, keep in touch with this thread now and then and one of us will holler at you personally if it again proves hard to fill that middle shift. And it may.

Storm

Sure. Will follow this thread and watch for PMs here, Ark forum or in EU.

Which I do always anyway. hehehe

:)

Heya Storm,

I'm interested in new pilot. :)

You guys may notice I reserved the first six posts in this thread so I could edit in information and categorize it as we go. For now I plan to use the second post to display "urgent" information as it comes up. the second post has been updated with TeamSpeak information.

This has been shifted out of the test forum.....

Ops! The secrets have been revealed!!!

We better postpone the plans for taking over the universe!!

:confused:

This has been shifted out of the test forum.....

Ops! The secrets have been revealed!!!

We better postpone the plans for taking over the universe!!

:confused:

Serica kindly pointed out a forum feature I wasnt aware of (private groups) which will serve our purpose just fine. Pilots and applicants will get an invitation to the group as soon as I figure out how to set it up and get this moved.

Sorry for the kinda snarky response I first posted here Serica....and thanks for the help. You didn't deserve the snark and I do apologize.

Storm

Last edited:
Interesting, there are quite a few technical points (particularly on the mob training and skilling) that are either not the most efficient or most beneficial way of doing things.

However I guess that is the fun in taking on a new venture, learning how to make everything work out perfectly. I so also love how HH seemed to have stuck since the very early days! :laugh:

It might also be wise to add in a note about what pilots should do in the event of encountering other ships.

I wish you much fun with this. Good luck! :cool:

Ps. I am so glad John doesn't charge me to pilot Mandie, I'd be in some serious debt right now! :laugh: I hope he doesn't read this and plan on back dated my charges! :eyecrazy:

Serica kindly pointed out a forum feature I wasnt aware of (private groups) which will serve our purpose just fine. Pilots and applicants will get an invitation to the group as soon as I figure out how to set it up and get this moved.

Oh this was supposed to be private? In which case ill shoosh ;)

Interesting, there are quite a few technical points (particularly on the mob training and skilling) that are either not the most efficient or most beneficial way of doing things.

However I guess that is the fun in taking on a new venture, learning how to make everything work out perfectly. I so also love how HH seemed to have stuck since the very early days! :laugh:

It might also be wise to add in a note about what pilots should do in the event of encountering other ships.

I wish you much fun with this. Good luck! :cool:

Ps. I am so glad John doesn't charge me to pilot Mandie, I'd be in some serious debt right now! :laugh: I hope he doesn't read this and plan on back dated my charges! :eyecrazy:

Bonnie, this project was started by a bunch of noobs who didnt know the word "can't". And as a result I bet there ARE a lot of technical points we haven't properly sussed out yet.

I would be honored if you were to make time to correct anything you see that is less than optimal. I'm about to create a "private group" where we can handle pilot communication for Viper's project and do the "messy" part of assembling this "handbook" with an eye toward producing something more polished and professional the whole community can benefit from.

We taught ourselves how to do this....we didnt have benefit of the oversight of more experienced spacers so again, if you see something stupid (and you will :) ) and have time to set us right we'd apppreciate it.

If you agree I'd love to add you to our private group.

Storm

Last edited:
Oh this was supposed to be private? In which case ill shoosh ;)

Not private really, we're not trying to be all secret with this. Its just the messy "business" and pilot coordination stuff for Vipers skilling runs.

Just a place where info and communication can happen that wouldn't be of much interest to people not directly invovlved with Viper's project.

Actually, it just occurred to me I better let theViper start this group thread. He'll need to be the one administrating it since this will be his baby.

Last edited:
Private Groups

Ok guys...we'll try again.

Viper has started his group here:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/group.php

Click on that link and if you don't see a group called "Viper's Pilot Squadron" you might try to use the search feature.

I'm still fuzzy on how this groups thing works but you're looking for a button that will say "JOIN" ....lol....find it and click it please :)

Found it, clicked on join.

Awaiting approval :)

Back