paypal hub...what ?

Fiona Simmons

Stalker
I wanted to transfer some money to my ped card from my bank account and used paypal as payment processor as I always do.

First it was the usual procedure , choose amount of euros to pay, proceed to paypal, login my paypal account, choose bank account for payment wireless transfer and clicking the big blue PAY NOW button. Worked like a charm for years until today....

Normally I would redirected to mindark webseite where I can read my payment is done and I received my peds but today I got forwarded to https://www.paypal-hub.com/

My paypal login doesn't work here, I have to register and ofc my payment was not proceeded

What is that hub, why do I need it and why im forced to register here while PayPal own my private name, address, bank account and all that stuff already ? Why can I only choose between god dam Chinese or English as language there and why do I have to enter a webpage as private person to finish registration ? Questions over questions. I asked PayPal the same but they will probably take 48 hours to answer. Can anyone explain me what's going on ?

thanks in advance

I dont use paypal so could be completly wrong. But what you describe sounds like a browser hijack. You could have a virus on your computer and any time you try to access paypal for payment method the virus would redirect you to another site that looks like it could be used for paypal, but infact gives all your login information to a 3rd party. I would be very careful what information you enter into this site before you hear from paypal support.

Again I dont use paypal and i Hope I am wrong. But when it comes to login for bank information I am very wary.

SpikE

After I posted this wanted to look into it a bit more.. and did a whois look up. Seems like paypal-hub is owned by Paypal Inc

Code:
omain Name: paypal-hub.com
Registry Domain ID: 
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Updated Date: 2014-03-18T10:02:25-0700
Creation Date: 2013-01-22T17:09:49-0800
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-01-22T17:09:49-0800
Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 292
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abusecomplaints@markmonitor.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2083895740
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: 
Registrant Name: Host Master
Registrant Organization: PayPal Inc.
Registrant Street: 2211 North First Street
Registrant City: San Jose
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 95131
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.4083767400
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: 
Registrant Fax Ext: 
Registrant Email: hostmaster@ebay.com
Registry Admin ID: 
Admin Name: Domain Administrator
Admin Organization: eBay Inc.
Admin Street: 2145 Hamilton Avenue
Admin City: San Jose
Admin State/Province: CA
Admin Postal Code: 95125
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.4083767400
Admin Phone Ext: 
Admin Fax: +1.4083767514
Admin Fax Ext: 
Admin Email: hostmaster@ebay.com
Registry Tech ID: 
Tech Name: Host Master
Tech Organization: PayPal Inc.
Tech Street: 2211 North First Street
Tech City: San Jose
Tech State/Province: CA
Tech Postal Code: 95131
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.4083767400
Tech Phone Ext: 
Tech Fax: 
Tech Fax Ext: 
Tech Email: hostmaster@ebay.com
Name Server: ns2.isc-sns.com
Name Server: ns3.isc-sns.info
Name Server: ns1.isc-sns.net
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-07-30T21:24:47-0700 <<<

The Data in MarkMonitor.com's WHOIS database is provided by MarkMonitor.com for
information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record.  MarkMonitor.com does not guarantee
its accuracy.  By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this Data
only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this Data to:
 (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
     commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail (spam); or
 (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to
     MarkMonitor.com (or its systems).
MarkMonitor.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Online Brand Protection.

MarkMonitor Domain Management™
MarkMonitor Brand Protection™
MarkMonitor AntiPiracy™
MarkMonitor AntiFraud™
Professional and Managed Services

Visit MarkMonitor at http://www.markmonitor.com
Contact us at +1.8007459229
In Europe, at +44.0203206222

Thanks for looking into it, but I am almost certain this hub is owned by PayPal and not a scam. PayPal have redesigned their web presence lately and added this and that and revised their terms of use. The hub is probably something new or something old that's now needed to use PayPal. I searched around the web and found something that said the hub is meant to do business in china because their regulations disallow foreign companies to take out more than 500K usd from the country each year. But I have no idea why it does affect me in Germany sending a payment to Sweden.

edit:
just in case I changed my paypal PW

edit2:
PayPal had the nerves to answer my support request with an automated email that give solutions to questions I never asked and is totally irrelevant to my questions. Their help center is "not available" maybe its too early. Guess I will have to resolve this after work. :(

Last edited:
Do NOT use paypal-hub or enter your paypal info on any other website. I can't find any info on paypal referencing this website, so I wouldn't assume it's a genuine paypal website. Call or mail Paypal directly using contact info on the official paypal website and ask them if it's an official website or not.

I am unsure but it may have something to do with Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) which just got implemented July 1,2014. While it is an American law, all banks seem to be making related changes to comply. Paypal I would assume may need to have a method to help identify these kinds of transactions.

I could be completely wrong, but this coincides time wise with changes that Paypal may be making.

I asked once if MA has made any changes to reporting due to this, but of course I got nothing.

its an american law - lets call it what it is

Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act of Twothousandfourteen (FATCAT)

It could be a real site, I don't know, but whois info shouldn't be used as the only evidence that it belongs to Paypal. When someone registers a website, they can enter whatever info there they want.

Issue solved

Did a reset to my internet explorer and PayPal worked normal again. I changed all my passwords scanned my system from a boot stick for viruses, malware and rootkits but didn't found any. Still not convinced that was a phishing site but better safe than sorry. I still don't know what this hub is, didn't got a response from my registration there yet.

Back