Recovery expectation?

forgo

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Forgo Forgorth Lundain
"Support message
We are recovering data from yesterdays database backlog, this infers extra load on the servers and that is the reason for the exceptional lag. We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working as quick as possible to get back to normal operation as soon as possible"

This is the same message, now a couple days (no longer yesterday) past the backlog. So my question is, when are we expected to have normal play?

Are we to expect another week of non playable product? or months?

( my blueprints still did not load throughout the writting of this post, and I was waiting 3 minutes prior)

Cut them some slack ffs they are a small company and it's a miracle they even started the servers back let alone kept it operational for so long after the crash. Cmon it's vacation time for us swedes and you gotta hand it to those that came back from their vacation early to work on fixing these issues. Just live with it or don't and take a week or so break until it truly gets resolved. Complaining any more won't make them work any faster and frankly just wastes your time.

Cut them some slack ffs they are a small company and it's a miracle they even started the servers back let alone kept it operational for so long after the crash. Cmon it's vacation time for us swedes and you gotta hand it to those that came back from their vacation early to work on fixing these issues. Just live with it or don't and take a week or so break until it truly gets resolved. Complaining any more won't make them work any faster and frankly just wastes your time.

It is a valid question the OP asked. One lots of us want to know. I am not complaining, I know that MA has to do what it needs to do. But I also think its fair to ask the forum how long these things usually take.

It is a valid question the OP asked. One lots of us want to know. I am not complaining, I know that MA has to do what it needs to do. But I also think its fair to ask the forum how long these things usually take.

The client loader news message has already answered the OP's question. If they could give an ETA they would have but instead they said ASAP (as soon as possible) which means this is the biggest priority atm at MA HQ.

But sure make 100's of threads for ETA. You're all just wasting your time, I won't waste mine anymore answering these pointless thread.

It's sad to see they didn't have a disaster recovery site and/or their main DB was not mirrored, they could get over this crash in matter of minutes..
There is also the possibility they had a back up DB but is not running on the same kind of machine as primary DB, or secondary DB settings are not the same.
Let's hope they learnt something from this.

OP modestly points out there's one additional problem.

1. The message appeared for a while.
  2. Then it was gone, for a pretty long time (for about 24 hours?)
  3. And then the same message reappears.
But if u read the message, it's not something you can do twice.
Something here doesn't add up. No idea if we should be worried or not, but that message is fishy.

seriously does EVERY SINGLE SWEDE take a vacation at the same time? thats bizarre.

Yea... I feel like I can speak for most Americans and say we have no empathy for "it's vacation time"
we don't get that here. If a woman has a baby - they often work until they are due and come back 1-3 months later. You maybe get 3 weeks vacation a year, and if you are lucky you can take 1 week at a time. Now is either system better than the other? I'm not saying that... I'm just saying telling us to give them a break it's vacation time is beyond words I can find to use!

****~~~~~~ sound from world's smallest violin.

But all seriousness - computer problems suck - and anyone that steps up to help fix is awesome. It's a shame the game is affected for people currently - and i hope it gets straight soon.

FFS we have 4 - 5 weeks paid vacation in Sweden FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

dont come telling us what you have in the states whatever , :laugh: China has like 5 minutes vacation ? :bowdown:

"Support message
We are recovering data from yesterdays database backlog, this infers extra load on the servers and that is the reason for the exceptional lag. We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working as quick as possible to get back to normal operation as soon as possible"

I saw that pop-up in client loader, I Think sunday, and then I Close it. Since then I haven't seen it again.

MA support also refers to "facebook" (without further posting an URL) :doh:. Well I would suggest posting a normal item in client loader would be great.

It's a 24/7 operation, not a deli. The business cannot stop for vacation, there must be someone there to take care of problems.

It's sad to see they didn't have a disaster recovery site and/or their main DB was not mirrored, they could get over this crash in matter of minutes..
There is also the possibility they had a back up DB but is not running on the same kind of machine as primary DB, or secondary DB settings are not the same.
Let's hope they learnt something from this.

One theory is that we ARE running on the backup system right now. If it has lower capacity as the primary one, it would cause extra lag.

FFS we have 4 - 5 weeks paid vacation in Sweden FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

dont come telling us what you have in the states whatever , :laugh: China has like 5 minutes vacation ? :bowdown:

THAT good to know that how you take care of your customer sorry were on vaction will work on it next month

that a poor excuse

a good company would have poeple on standby and if needed have other they could hire to fix the problem

"Support message

This is the same message, now a couple days (no longer yesterday) past the backlog. So my question is, when are we expected to have normal play?

Are we to expect another week of non playable product? or months?

( my blueprints still did not load throughout the writting of this post, and I was waiting 3 minutes prior)

As far as I know, Mindark doesn't own the game servers.

the leading gaming provider MindArk hosts its servers with Interxion in order to guarantee its users high-speed PvP interaction for the ultimate MMOG experience.

http://insights.wired.com/profiles/...-gaming-teaches-the-world-about#axzz393kXmM4e

So it is most likely that Mindark is working with Interxion to solve the problems.
I bet they are doing all they can atm.

It wasn't a complaint, it was a question. I followed the question with supporting examples.

This is a business, not hobby time. It should be treated that way.

As far as coming back early, no I do not commend them, that is what they are paid to do, in that business it is expected.

I will openly admit, that it is enviable as well, 4 weeks does kick ass for any society. I get that too, it has merit.

I held one IT position that regularly had whoever was on-call up at all hours in order to service the customer asap, it is not abnormal for most of the world, and versus not having a job or customers to pay me, it was welcome. But I still got the same vacation time, good compensation for the trouble, and work hours adjusted in my favor to make up for it.

Sorry to assume when MA indicated more improved communication, they meant it. My positive impression of Swedes overall has gotten the better of me to extend it to a Swedish company. No wonder you have so few investment options in US markets. ;)

Mariko Ninja; said:
As far as I know, Mindark doesn't own the game servers.

Correct, not the physical servers themselves, but they direct the owners on what software and what diagnostics to run if data related.

As stated above I am fully aware first hand of the stress involved in that situation from the guy at the terminal in front of the server to the upper management, and am also aware they are doing the best they can.

The question was based on the fact they are running processes on the data in the background, as they stated, and I just want an estimate to gauge production. :)

A lot of us here in the US get 4 or more weeks of vacation time per year. But, the people running the companies are smart enough NOT TO LET EVERYONE LEAVE AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Personally, I don't understand why MA leaves the thing up at all. Just pull the plug, fix it, and adjust auction dates, etc. when it's back up and working.

:dunno:

agree pretty much, its a game that is up 24/7 and gets hammered just imagine the number of transactions... Anyway, long term I hope they can truly sort this out and they need to if the player base is to grow realistically it's not really possible as is

Thats pretty much accurate, we're expecting new hardware to be in place next week.

Wow, well there you go, they are in disaster recovery so I guess just bare with it for a while :)

Thats pretty much accurate, we're expecting new hardware to be in place next week.

Good to know. Put it in the client loader also so ppl calm down :)

So err what happened to the main system then ? hamsters melted ???? :laugh:

Wow, well there you go, they are in disaster recovery so I guess just bare with it for a while :)

Just a heads up for Kim and the other at MA.

The post by Kitch is typical for people that know what going on. Remember that before you told us that the servers went BOOM everybody was bitching and calling names at you because stuff was slow and laggy.

Now that we know we are much more forgiving because we know whats going on and that it is most likely something that was beyond your control. I would suggest to release that kind of info next time too, and preferably a lot sooner and maybe even in more detail (what happened to the old servers).

Same goes for when VU's get postponed or take a lot longer to implement then you told us upfront. The community will be much less hard on you if you are honest with us.

Just a heads up for Kim and the other at MA.

The post by Kitch is typical for people that know what going on. Remember that before you told us that the servers went BOOM everybody was bitching and calling names at you because stuff was slow and laggy.

Now that we know we are much more forgiving because we know whats going on and that it is most likely something that was beyond your control. I would suggest to release that kind of info next time too, and preferably a lot sooner and maybe even in more detail (what happened to the old servers).

Same goes for when VU's get postponed or take a lot longer to implement then you told us upfront. The community will be much less hard on you if you are honest with us.
Where's the fun in that!! :laugh: Btw, I agree with the statement above! :yup:

I don't know, but I just have a hunch nobody thought about removing the message from the CL. And that's probably all there is to it.

Yes, we will be upgrading the database infrastructure significantly which will hopefully make a lot of issues disappear.

Hopefully we will not experience the awesomeness that happened the last time you guys did a major server upgrade..... :lam:

Yes, we will be upgrading the database infrastructure significantly which will hopefully make a lot of issues disappear.

Hopefully : in other words, you dont dont have a clue where the problem is...

Great !

Reactions: das
Back