Server issues

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
July 26,
Entropia Universe had an unexpected production disturbance. It turned out that the root cause of the disturbance was hardware issues that resulted in failing servers. The failing hardware has now been removed. In the meantime we are running EU with reduced HW resources and that is the reason for the exceptional lag.

Replacement hardware is scheduled for delivery beginning of next week. With the new and more powerful servers installed, end next week at the latest, we should see a considerable improvement of the lag situation.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience and will get back to you when we have more information.
Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

Reactions: aia
good news, ty

Must have been indeed a hell of a storm o_O

The server has not had the capacity to suffice after the change to the VU 10.0 onwards we have known a long time it has been seen every major event so that it would come was just expecting the question was only when.

hope that you not only repaired the old and call it new.:girl:

( Have made a new record 100 Osse kills without global.
Or do you have problems with more than one server. :) )

Last edited:
good communication <thumbs up>

With the new and more powerful servers installed, end next week at the latest, we should see a considerable improvement of the lag situation.

Every cloud has a silver lining? Will see soon I guess..

Server Issues - Summer 2014

We are learning from our mistakes, or from some life experiences.
Improve your servers to new ones was certainly not schedulled in your plans,
but anyway, this should be a good thing for future events in the game.
So a bad, for a good.

We all wait this lag to end.

I wish you the best in improving your systems asap.

The server has not had the capacity to suffice after the change to the VU 10.0 onwards we have known a long time it has been seen every major event so that it would come was just expecting the question was only when.

'We are very sorry for this inconvenience and will get back to you when we have more information.
Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk'

Almost 18 months I endured until I got the shits and filed cases. It seems six minute bug was it for continuous Logon to shutdown
Complaint received an insignificant reply until recently.
Many who filed issue survived their pause in play, many did not and lost vital attributes in continuance/time of play.

Last edited:
i am half way between "well its good they are telling us whats up" and "wtf a week for hardware delivery?"

i am half way between "well its good they are telling us whats up" and "wtf a week for hardware delivery?"

Maybe it is not that easy to get a new server working, when most of the sweede have summer holydays. Also MA.
Just have some patience, the goal will be a faster server! thats always worth to wait a week.

I work in the IT industry, and from my perspective a week to get a serious system delivered, built, and tested is not bad going. It isn't a case of nipping down to the local shop and buying a PC!

It indeed sounds strange it would take a whole week for a new server. Realistically, you could get just about any (non-vintage) server delivered within 24 hours if it was important, and probably within 3 hours if an emergency.

Perhaps they have to allow NSA to install hardware into the machines, to snoop on all the potential terrorists (I mean, since USA is at *war* against drugs, surely non-military drug use must qualify as terrorism, or illegal use of munitions or something batshit crazy like that). :)

Goofing aside, I'd like to know more about this quite extreme amount of time required to replace a *Server*. Had it been a HA system (har, har, MA and HA?) or something even more esoteric, I could grok it, but a Server?

It indeed sounds strange it would take a whole week for a new server. Realistically, you could get just about any (non-vintage) server delivered within 24 hours if it was important, and probably within 3 hours if an emergency.

Perhaps they have to allow NSA to install hardware into the machines, to snoop on all the potential terrorists (I mean, since USA is at *war* against drugs, surely non-military drug use must qualify as terrorism, or illegal use of munitions or something batshit crazy like that). :)

Goofing aside, I'd like to know more about this quite extreme amount of time required to replace a *Server*. Had it been a HA system (har, har, MA and HA?) or something even more esoteric, I could grok it, but a Server?

Certain systems have to work perfectly or the RCE goes down the tubes. I'd prefer they take their time :) They're also not located in the US or other country where "time is money" so I imagine that has something to do with it.

I work in the IT industry, and from my perspective a week to get a serious system delivered, built, and tested is not bad going. It isn't a case of nipping down to the local shop and buying a PC!

i see the same, especially if it is a game sever like one from MA and need to have a lot security.

I see. Time to retire the hamster and find a successor. :)

The question is, will the "considerable improvement" be compared to current situation or to pre-fail? Because in the former case "improvement" means "not so bad", not "good" :silly2:

The question is, will the "considerable improvement" be compared to current situation or to pre-fail? Because in the former case "improvement" means "not so bad", not "good" :silly2:

Is it just me, or I recall some months ago, a post by bertha bot and MA team, about "having improved the servers infrastructures" which actually resulted in a start of servers problems ?
I kinda remember that.

In all retrospect if I remind about it good, then this is another pearl this thread.

Well, at least it's getting fixed :)

Is it just me, or I recall some months ago, a post by bertha bot and MA team, about "having improved the servers infrastructures" which actually resulted in a start of servers problems ?
I kinda remember that.

In all retrospect if I remind about it good, then this is another pearl this thread.

VU 14.3. This was the one where everything just stopped working for about a month. Servers would crash and the mob you were killing (along with all other mobs) would be gone when they came back up. Couldn't tp to half the tp's on the list, server rollbacks, extreme lag, all the rest. Yeah, so I don't know what they upgraded if everything just failed....

I kinda remember that.

Memory doesn't fail you, it was in the State of universe: "The MindArk team spent much of the year improving the user experience and upgrading infrastructure to improve performance and accommodate more simultaneous users". Looks like they overclocked their servers too much and burnt them :D

It's funny, really. If you watch #rookie, you might have noticed that the more bleeding edge hardware a newcomer has, the more problems he faces, while years old rigs give minimal to none headache to their owners. It's as if our software gets less and less compatible with new hardware as time goes by. I'm already scared by possible consequences of my own upcoming upgrade :)

It's funny, really. If you watch #rookie, you might have noticed that the more bleeding edge hardware a newcomer has, the more problems he faces, while years old rigs give minimal to none headache to their owners. It's as if our software gets less and less compatible with new hardware as time goes by. I'm already scared by possible consequences of my own upcoming upgrade :)

I think a lot of that comes from new players wanting to play on high graphics settings. I have yet to find the system that can accomplish that without lag, and eventual crashes.

Edit: It doesn't affect us older players much because we are addicted enough to be willing to play on low and deal with it.

i work for a major international company and we'd expect 4-6 weeks for ordering hardware, and thats fairly ordinary off the shelve spec stuff. you can get it quicker going grey channel or if you know some one or if you have it on support contract - but a support contract wouldnt cover upgraded HW. you can get parts on hour or two if you are in a major city. you could get support to cover a whole server, but the cost that you might as well buy a spare and run it as cold standby. then you've got to line up engineers, access to DC... a week for an emergency upgrade sounds very good in the real world.

( Have made a new record 100 Osse kills without global.
Or do you have problems with more than one server. :) )

indeed, so many hunters give up on the last few years from the hunting lag, me too included, so this is not new

actually, now i think about it, this doesnt make much sence. normal procedure would be to replace whatever component was faulty, down to the mainboard or whole chassis in worse case, then swap in all the components. a day for any competent engineer. the news says they've removed the failing hardware? reasons i can think of: its out of support, so old they couldn't get support, too obscure for there to be parts available in Europe.

there was talk in another thread of "upgrading", which seems an unusual thing to do when you've just had a major failure (opinions differ if its wise or unwise, how to test the new system?). but this would be consistent with the reasons above, as anything major that's out of support, would be cheaper to simply replace, and probably picking up more recent HW as a matter course.

might be just how its done in Sweden, but all seems a tad odd to me.

Umm.. when was the last time you ordered a server from dell or hp or (gosh!) oracle/ibm? Next day delivery it is certainly NOT!

I wouldn't questions reasons as to why they would have to change a whole unit.

My only question is how many non-depoers are sitting there afk sweating mobs while I can't even login.

Maybe a priority system in the meantime. Or is asking for that like...being a dick to non-depoers?

Gotta pay for servers somehow, and if I can't login, chances are I'm not gonna depo lol.

Z

Edit to Add: I guess what I'm trying to say is while systems are shot and people can't login because of too many online, perhaps a 'no loitering' policy (i.e. non PED-consuming interactions, get the boot). Maybe that sounds less dick-ish lol.

I think a lot of that comes from new players wanting to play on high graphics settings. I have yet to find the system that can accomplish that without lag, and eventual crashes.

Edit: It doesn't affect us older players much because we are addicted enough to be willing to play on low and deal with it.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 + GTX 560 does high reasonably well with no extra crashes or lag. Not a very great frame rate, but no lag as such.

Its possitive they are talking to us and explain atleast some, what the issue is.

It is also surpricing that they has the problem when they tell us they do so much to avoid it ;)

But hopefully they will fix it now and we get a experience we so very well deserw, i will not hold my breath tho lol

i work for a major international company and we'd expect 4-6 weeks for ordering hardware, and thats fairly ordinary off the shelve spec stuff.
[snip]
Right you are. While 4-6 weeks sound a bit much to me, we might be talking about vastly different kind of servers (from half-U to whole rack, from x86 to sparc or power, and so on).

I also didn't really consider they are colo in Amsterdam. Not only would new hardware have to be delivered, personnel would have to be on site and MA possibly would have to have someone go on-site (from Sweden) to do the actual installation and configuration.

Yeah, with that in mind, a week is more plausible.

i work for a major international company and we'd expect 4-6 weeks for ordering hardware, and thats fairly ordinary off the shelve spec stuff. .

I work with highly specialized industrial grade PLC's. I can get next day hardware replacements, 4-6 weeks may be a norm for your company, but it would be highly irregular for any other (in USA)

Back