Skills going up so slowly now. Is that normal?

dabrixmgp

Old
When I first started my skills went up pretty fast, which is what I expected. I also expected them to eventually slow down and for profession skills to start taking longer to raise. But I didnt expect them to slow down to a crawl so soon. After I hit level 9 in Laser Sniper (Hit) the skill just moves at a snail's pace. I have been on lvl 9 for like 4 days now.

I am currently on that Combibo Island near Nymphtown grinding the Iron Challenge. I am using a Chikara LR-3 Colonial that I got off one of my kills. It no longer has a SIB but the next gun that does have one uses a lot more ammo. I dont really see the point in moving up to a more powerful gun that will just eat up ammo and cost me more money. Not to mention that a more powerful gun just seems like a waste since my current one kills them pretty fast as the youngs/matures usually dont even make it to me.

Should I keep using my current gun or move on to the nest gun listed here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/3/5/8/5/8/carbines.jpg , which would be the MarCorp Kallous guns? I have plugged them all into the weapon compare tool at Entropedia and my current gun is the most efficient. Or are skill gains supposed to go up this slowly? Im not getting bored or anything. Its just after a full day of grinding I feel like I should notice that my skill bar has moved.

Short answer: yes, that's completely normal.

Not only you receive fewer green lines but also each green line is worth less and less points.

I have been on lvl 9 for like 4 days now.
You probably already know that, but at lvl 10 you will unlock Marksmanship which will provide a boost for some time.

Last edited:
Wait until you are near the 100 range.. it takes months to even tick up a green line...

At level 9 you still have several unlocks to look forward to which would help you progress further in professional levels. Simply put, the higher you go the more it takes to fill up your "bucket" in order to reach that next level (bucket). This is because the bucket continually gets fatter and fatter making more stuff go into it in order to equate to 1 point of skill.

I don't remember where it was on the forums but I think it was Doer that explained this in a nice bar/pie graph.

~Danimal

Yes it is. The game is suited for hardcore players. The skill progression is increased exponentially. Each time it hits that barrier it will take much more to skill than before.

Now is the time to see if you can adapt or give up. Like others have said though, you will unlock some skills which will boost your skill gains for a while. But it will still be slower than before.

Generally speaking the bigger the gun the faster the skill gains. And it seems you are wise in one aspect, no need to have a bigger gun to kill the combibos. My advice to you is focus not on skill but on losing as little as possible. One way to do that is play "eco". A term very famously used here in entropia.

That means for example, never used unmaxed guns (the ones you still got SIB, ignore them). Only use the ones you are maxed. It takes years and years to maximizing your eco. As your skills and your knowledge improves so will your eco-ness.

I hope you can make it young padawan. :)

at level 61 knifefighter i gain about 4% of a level for each 1-2hrs of play(depending on mob and mode of hunting)

i decided to skill mindforce...chose pyro, using corrosive chips... i went from lvl5 i think to lvl 31... in about 2 weeks of hunting... which i mean as... about 80 hours of hunting using corrosive chips... could of been much quicker if i didn't want to be as eco as i was though too.

do consider mob levels.... even for the same hp amount, a lvl 4 mob compaired to a lvl 7 mob, the lvl 7 will provide substantially more skill gains.

and if a mob with less hp and a higher level, it still provides substantially more skills... basically, at least at lower levels, the mob level means more than anything for skill gains.

also to reply to the OP.... hunting mobs, regardless of how small, you should be shooting it a minimum of 5 times or more.... or else you will most likely lose a lot...
if your current gun seems to be working, and your grinding them, your fine... but if you want to hunt a bigger mob, u prolly need a bigger gun.... however bigger guns exp on small mobs, doesn't exactly mean its better.

Last edited:
Is also true that skill is directly attached to the dps, more dps, more you spend per hour more skill you will gain!

So you can always approach your hunting gun to your level!

Regards

eSoul

If you are killing the mobs before they reach you, don't move to a higher gun yet. Wait until you are hunting harder things that require a higher gun. Using a gun when you are past the Skill Increase Bonus is ideal because when it says "Not Anymore" for both Hit and Damage, the gun will be the most economical to hunt with.

i also used those 50% skill gain pills non stop and they just ran out the other day. I guess that might also explain why it seems so slow now. Are there any other items similar to the pills you get in the starter packs or no?

also to reply to the OP.... hunting mobs, regardless of how small, you should be shooting it a minimum of 5 times or more.... or else you will most likely lose a lot...
if your current gun seems to be working, and your grinding them, your fine... but if you want to hunt a bigger mob, u prolly need a bigger gun.... however bigger guns exp on small mobs, doesn't exactly mean its better.

I usually shoot 7-8 times per lower maturity combibo. Obviously if I crit 2-3 times the mob doesnt make it even close. Theres also a lot of Old and Provider mixed in and they usually take 10-12 shots. Im running Entropia Tracker Suite and it has me at around 90% hit rate, with a 2.9 damage/pec

with low skill and the 50% bonus.... you would be gaining crazy skills, so it may not be a crawl, but what your used to, it may be much slower... if you keep going it should be fine, you seem to already know some, keep it up.

Just reiterating and one other small point.

Yes it is a curve where the modifier decays past the optimal requirements of the gun. Opalo will for example be one of the first to have the modifier decay due to its low dps.

More decay (gun,ammo, fap combined) adds to the modifier,
Higher level mobs add to the modifier.

Speed increases the gains per hour.

finding a one hit mob will greatly increase gains (due to the kill bonus) until the optimal is reached, and then the modifier decays, but does so with nearly twice as many gains.

Example, if skilling whip go to Rocktropia for rocktropians, you get the triggers for all related skills on the swing, as well as triggers on the kill, at the same time.

Players typically don't see the values of gains, though some bugs have shown them to go into many digits beyond zero.

like Alertness +1.03384 or later down the road as the modifier decays....alertness +.00484

Last edited:
Back by popular demand:
snapshot1.gif

skilling_difficulty.gif

These show the volume (tt) of skill you must gain for an increase in a level of a skill. Two things to note:
  • The slope is steep, and increases "exponentially": the amount of skill it takes to increase a level goes up and up at an increasing rate. (Compare the top and bottom plots to see just how fast the first 3000 levels are compared to the next 5000.)
  • There is an overlaid sine wave with a period of 500 levels. This means the skill gain will seem to slow down as you approach 500, 1000, 1500, etc. in a skill.

Note that this is for individual skills. A profession is made up of a contribution of several skills, so new unlocks will really speed up the gain in that profession until the new skill gets up a bit.

PS For the mathematically inclined, you will note that integrating the function plotted here gives the function used for chipping (in/out) calculations: the volume (tt) of skill needed to reach a certain level.

It no longer has a SIB but the next gun that does have one uses a lot more ammo. I dont really see the point in moving up to a more powerful gun that will just eat up ammo and cost me more money.

this is why its getting so slow for you, the higher cost the faster you skill, also as far as i know skill boosts come more frequently the more you cycle.

also regarding the "higher cost" when moving up the sib ladder i find the only increase of cost is higher mark up on purchased guns, i personally believe loot is a % pay out compared to total spent (spend 100k peds get 90k back), some people will no doubt challenge that, tho since there is no real proof that "eco" matters that i have seen here on the forums within the last 2 years, this is my own personal loot theory and you dont have to agree :p however im going offtopic :p so ill end it here lol

Yeah as people have said every skill point in a particular skill takes more TT volume to "fill" the skill point than the last (think of a conical glass which is being filled), thus you gain skill points slower and therefore the profession raises slower.

But when you unlock marksman at 10, that skill will race up and the profession speed increase will be boosted for a while. Same will happen at lv18 dmg profession when you unlock ranged damage assesment.

Just remember that the skill you are gaining is worth something so do it as eco as possible to make yuor peds last longer.

Oh one more thing, one of the most important is to plot your course through the iron missions that reward toward your profession. But that is obvious it will make your prof level jump up which is what you want to see :)

i dont really recommend it for really low level players, but to increase skilling speed you can try damage enhancers and laser+laser/scope combo, also using a weapon that says "yes" on the sib.

as far as im aware cycling more peds and faster will give you larger and more frequent natural skill buffs (while not using any booster pills)

i dont really recommend it for really low level players, but to increase skilling speed you can try damage enhancers and laser+laser/scope combo, also using a weapon that says "yes" on the sib.

as far as im aware cycling more peds and faster will give you larger and more frequent natural skill buffs (while not using any booster pills)

That seems right to me, I don't know what the normal gap between bonus periods is because I've been out of the game a few years, but I get them all the time using a wasteful Justy and all I can strap on it while looking to see what weapon out of the new stuff fits me best. Annoying how skill boosts always seem to happen when I'm almost out of ammo though...it's a piss take having to shoot back for ammo in that time window. ;)

Find mobs that giving you pleasure to hunt,
keep in mind always to the "good stuff" you are going to loot (eventually lol),
have fun and do not turn your attention constantly on how slow or fast skills are gaining.
Join some event daily or weekly.
That I do and I enjoy every minute in game.
the only thing you can do if you afford the spending is to try always to have a gun with SIB.
That's my recipe ;)

take care and happy HoFing

as other has said, do NOT use unmaxed weapons, the "bonus" part of SIB is so small its not worth it.

get login to skillscanner by jdegre,then you can track skill better.
with normal hunting you gain roughly 1% of cost back in added skill value.
teams and shared loot gives less (for me at least)

Back by popular demand:
snapshot1.gif

skilling_difficulty.gif

These show the volume (tt) of skill you must gain for an increase in a level of a skill. Two things to note:
  • The slope is steep, and increases "exponentially": the amount of skill it takes to increase a level goes up and up at an increasing rate. (Compare the top and bottom plots to see just how fast the first 3000 levels are compared to the next 5000.)
  • There is an overlaid sine wave with a period of 500 levels. This means the skill gain will seem to slow down as you approach 500, 1000, 1500, etc. in a skill.

Note that this is for individual skills. A profession is made up of a contribution of several skills, so new unlocks will really speed up the gain in that profession until the new skill gets up a bit.

PS For the mathematically inclined, you will note that integrating the function plotted here gives the function used for chipping (in/out) calculations: the volume (tt) of skill needed to reach a certain level.

SUPERNECRO! Anyone got curves for 10-20k skill points also?

SUPERNECRO! Anyone got curves for 10-20k skill points also?

After 14.x k skills I thinks its pretty constant that for each point skill you need 1.7 ped TT of skills

After 14.x k skills I thinks its pretty constant that for each point skill you need 1.7 ped TT of skills

This is my feeling also. I think it starts to "roll off" Even earlier but might be flat above 14k. I didnt measure it myself tho so its just a guesstimation.

Check the skill implants in the AH. Check two implants with different skills with ~same TT value. Let say both are around 20 PED TT. But one of the skills to be which you have the highest ranks and the second - the lowest rank (or as close as possible). You will see how much less skill points will give you the 1st implant (with the highest rank) compared to the implant for the skill with the lowest rank.

Back