Question: Against the rules or TOS?

Is it against the rules to buy/sell EU currency with real currency from other players?

While technically possibly not, in most cases it has been tied to various kinds of frauds. There is almost never a good case for doing it.

Is it against the rules to buy/sell EU currency with real currency from other players?

Buying peds from other players can be very, very risky. Not just because they won't give you the peds and scam out of your USD/whatever, but also there is a high probability that you can get locked or your peds taken away because those peds were involved in illegal activities.

Raddim & co exploited a bug to profit a lot of peds, they sold to people living in their country (Poland). I remember reading that a lot of people got locked due to this. Dunno how it ended - but most likely they lost their money.

do you ever heard anything about "money laundry"?

The Terms of Use say:
6.1. Transactions between Avatars
Please notice that transactions concerning payment for Virtual Items, including PED, outside the Entropia Universe often involve fraudulent activities. You acknowledge that any transaction regarding Virtual Items, including PED, carried out using any service or system other than one of MindArk’s Approved Transaction systems is at Your own risk. MindArk reserves the right to take any reasonably necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and non-Approved Transactions, including, but not limited to, making a reservation against a suspected Transaction, and Banning and/or Terminating a directly or indirectly involved Account, if MindArk determines that the transaction was not performed in compliance to this Agreement.

So its not exactly against the rules, jut not recommended?

Exactly, it is allowed.
However, as this bypass in game mecanism that the game provide, MA can't be held responsible if there is a fuckup.
I won't say it isn't recommended, it is as both party risksif this is a single trade.
If you want to offer a service, well, i guess you may be banned. See SL for example, people could/(can ?) buy currency at better rates than official Linden Exchange. However in SL it's by far more oriented trading and automated mechanism can be made via viewer/bots/phoning platform clientside.

There is almost never a good case for doing it.
Except when you need some quick money and want to take it out from Entropia (by quick i mean ~1 day delivery and not a 60 day withdrawal).

Except when you need some quick money and want to take it out from Entropia (by quick i mean ~1 day delivery and not a 60 day withdrawal).

Exactly! That would mean there is almost always a good case for doing it, at least on the withdrawer's side. And if someone wants to deposit anyway, then both parties could split the withdrawal fee in some way so maybe both sides would have a better transaction than officially via MA as well.
On trust, aren't there sites for stuff like crowd funding which act as trusted intermediaries? Dunno what they charge, but not much I expect. Would that be a way?

I am surprised that they don't address that in the EULA with the nature of the design, but good to know.

Sure hope it doesn't create a big red flag for people looking at money laundering. Few hundred million dollars in turnover + this could easily be abused.

I am surprised that they don't address that in the EULA with the nature of the design, but good to know.

Sure hope it doesn't create a big red flag for people looking at money laundering. Few hundred million dollars in turnover + this could easily be abused.

I'm sure MA and its partners are more than cooperative with law enforcement agencies and can easily check for such things.

I always tought this was against the rules.
I won't risk it anyway.

I'm sure MA and its partners are more than cooperative with law enforcement agencies and can easily check for such things.

I have no doubts there, but once you have authorities looking into these kinds of things...they usually try to close them.

I always tought this was against the rules.
I won't risk it anyway.

Its only frowned upon as staff do not want to deal with more unnecessary "headaches". In an odd way it doesn't affect EU at all as the PED are still in circulation (If anything it benefits them).

As they make withdrawals longer and longer (currently 3 months), people will do more and more trades outside of entropia... if they want people to do trades in universe they've got to improve the withdrawal time.

For instance, someone hacked into someone elses account, TTd their storage and now have a heap of PEDs they want to liquify Before the ban hammer comes. Or a Group of people have found a list of working CC numbers and want to funnel out real cash out of it without getting traced.

They did, see Serica's post: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...rules-or-TOS&p=3279268&viewfull=1#post3279268

One way to express it, is: If you do out-of-game transactions, never ever cry if you get locked.

To be safe, make sure you sit next to the one you're dealing with, if the trade involves out-of-game transactions.

Last edited:
For instance, someone hacked into someone elses account, TTd their storage and now have a heap of PEDs they want to liquify Before the ban hammer comes. Or a Group of people have found a list of working CC numbers and want to funnel out real cash out of it without getting traced.
I do know the cons, was just pointing out a pro since the withrawal times can be a pain in the arse.
I wouldn't recommend this unless you're buying from someone you possibly know IRL.

Back