The State of Crytek and EU's continued development

Tesla

Old
Society
The Knights of Entropia
Javen Wardenclyffe Tesla
Will the change in Crytek's business strategy impact the continued development of EU since the game is based off the CryEngine2 3D engine? Most games once released using a beefy 3D engine don't have years of development support to contend with because they are not MMO's. So I'm curious about how MA would continue if Crytek were to fall.

For some that do not know Crytek is in the middle of restructuring to move away from being a game developer into an online publisher. They have closed several offices around the world and are selling off their IP titles. Employees hadn't been paid for weeks/months, however, they have finally been paid.

Article Link (tomshardware.com):
Crytek Going Through Transitional Phase

They may restructure as they like, but they're obliged to honour their old license agreements.
If MA still needs their help at all, after all these years.

They may restructure as they like, but they're obliged to honour their old license agreements.
If MA still needs their help at all, after all these years.

Yes, if they restructure but if the company itself was to dissolve and be liquidated there wouldn't be anyway to honor the contract. Just something I was pondering. I would hope MA would be pretty self sufficient at this point but software will always have bugs.

Mindark won't really be impacted if Crytek goes under.

It seems to be a common misconception that the engine is the responsibility of the company that made it even after it is sold and the one who bought it builds on a layer above that. Thats not actually how it works, the source code of a game engine is continously built on by, in this case Mindark to suit the specific game needs, the source code being what one would call "the engine".
Most companies do push out fix updates of there engines of course but these updates aren't really needed to solve bugs although they may speed up the process of fixing said bug.

I hope that clears up some question marks, if not just let me know and ill try to answer in more detail :).

Best regards
Zweshi

Mindark won't really be impacted if Crytek goes under.

It seems to be a common misconception that the engine is the responsibility of the company that made it even after it is sold and the one who bought it builds on a layer above that. Thats not actually how it works, the source code of a game engine is continously built on by, in this case Mindark to suit the specific game needs, the source code being what one would call "the engine".
Most companies do push out fix updates of there engines of course but these updates aren't really needed to solve bugs although they may speed up the process of fixing said bug.

I hope that clears up some question marks, if not just let me know and ill try to answer in more detail :).

Best regards
Zweshi

Indeed, thanks for your insight. Just thinking about the long term future of EU and I saw the news about Crytek so it got me to pondering :)

it rather depends on the terms of the licencing. the licencee may end up with a new company owning the IP, charging more or restricting what can be done with and to the code. it might have no or minimumal effect, it might create alot of problems.

Well, if Nissan USA were to go out of business, my 2012 Nissan Maxima wouldn't stop running.

The same is true for the software that MA uses.

However, CryTek is not going out of business so I don't see what the concern is.

It's taken them long enough to get this one as stable as it is.

ya that's my main reason, the stability issues with this current engine. but then again I'm a business/math guy, I don't know much about software or coding

Ooh, oh, this gives me an idea for next years big sale: New Engeine Deeds. (NEDs)

You pay MA for the deeds now and (a few years later) the deeds get a 1% share of all deposits.

These would be even less exclusive - 10,000,000 deeds at 10 peds each.

To be honest, the CE2 graphics have not been that great. I am sure they have a handle on using CE2 coding by now to continue without support from the company.

They could allways go back to the Gamebryo engine, what was used before they started with CE. :rolleyes:

Back