Creeped out by coldness - Anyone else feels the same?

Pirx Danford

Elite
Society
Federation of Free Wanderers
Pirx Danford
Cheers,
so there were a few minor details before the huge Cry Engine VU, which provided a hint of the ongoing activity around us, giving the universe a vibrant feeling.
The lack of such details is actually creeping me out and basically what leads to me not logging in for weeks sometimes, because I cannot stomach playing within such a cold unresponsive environment.

I really miss that I could tell from far away if someone was mining and even telling the difference between bombs and probes was fun.
The shaking of the screen when mining.
The babbling of the people, sitting down and lying around.
The distinct noises the creatures made, offering a sound background in which one could easily tell which mobs were hunted around oneself and with what types of weapons.

Such details made the universe seem lively.

Now when I meet other avatars the blank faces give me the creeps. In fact now I prefer using the chat feature over virtually meeting someone face to face and this was exactly the other way around pre Cry Engine. I dragged people to places I enjoyed idling about and I believe that provided a good time and deeper connection between our virtual personas.
I even enjoyed attending virtual parties and meeting new people... the few tries to do that post Cry Engine were more than unpleasant.

What I wonder is if I am the only one feeling this way?

I joined in 2008 so I miss the babbling and hand gesturing when someone was typing and laying or sitting.:girl:

I definitely miss the chatter in the background. It would be really great to have that feature back again. To make it more interesting I would love to hear different sounding dialects from avas born on each of the planets. That way when you visit other planets you really feel like you are around people that are native to the area and you can hear other travelers as well.

...and all of chatter and goofy stuff that used to happen in the old Port Atlantis.

Miss all that too. voiced that in posts a few times along with the social aspect of sitting and lying down. nothing comes of it. these were the things that completed this game as a "sense of being". now it feels more of a disconnected form of play.

Thanks for the replies - its good to see that I am not alone with this.

...and all of chatter and goofy stuff that used to happen in the old Port Atlantis.

And funny you mention that.
This was actually one of the things that drew me into the game.
"Who are all these people? What are they doing here?"
I just had to find out!

The current PA... has stuck and unkillable flying robot thingies... *le sigh*

I guess.... I still hear mob sounds, I still hear a lot of stuff going on. Now there are planes flying in and out - cars driving around. I still see people fighting in the Ring at Twin all the time and people doing goofy things. Avatars look better than ever and I always see something new (ex. new Alien head, the Wings, Bunny ears, masks) I can see hair flowing as well.
People broadcast music or chat using the new in-game system. There are in-game hunting events every week, you can hop aboard a mother ship everyday and fly to another planet.

Sure things are different - I don't consider people not lying on the floor as being less lively. Sure some things that were goofy and zany I don't see anymore- I don't see dance floors, BPs laying on construction machines, people stacking stuff to climb up in the air, and other things - but I don't know - things always seem better "in the old days" This game is still what you make of it. Not lively enough??? Put out a dance floor - run around with a Large Trout, shoot some fireworks, use the in-game mic chat, bust out a wormhole. It's what you make of it.

Yes ... There is much they've taken away from us. Many cities, special places landmarks and so on ...
But,,but will not earn any money from it so it's no wonder they removed it.:ahh:

( I am one of them who wants the old map back or PE. )

i want to lie down sure
background voices I didn't even know they took that out :)) i haven't played with sound in years...
Faces?-even back in 07 i had armor on at most times...

Faces?-even back in 07 i had armor on at most times...

In my soc The Chosen Few, the rule has always been that we take masks\helmets off while we're "in town".

While it's still one of our soc rules, the initial reasons for it are pretty much gone. I.E. P2P trades, etc.

( I am one of them who wants the old map back or PE. )

Agree, I liked that mutant villages and the signs "go away stupid humanz" :D
Remember time when I discoverd things like maffoid graveyard, feffo fireplaces and such things, and hell where is sunbathing skeleton, the smily and so much more that is lost with CE2

Anyway the actual map is huge and some new nice places have been introduced, beside the option to fly to other planets and discover new areas there.
Although EU, offers much more than back the days I joined, I play a lot less. To be honest its not because EU is bad, its because RL is bad (job takes to much time) :scratch2:

Well the thing that mostly gets to me is this

This game claims to be CE2 based ....but looking at the environment in eu and environment in games like far cry and crysis and other ce engine based games....this seems nothing compared to it hell this is not even ce0 let alone ce2????

When your not out hunting or mining you could go out flying, running checking out the views the greenery the views but fuck me this is not better than pre vu10...

If this game had graphics as crysis and far cry and so on hell id run to my pos then drive or fly...how many of you played the above games and just enjoyed running around the world shooting trees plants and so on to enjoy the actual mechanics and effects???

Wouldn't it be nice to have same in eu? I have noticed they don't exactly have the best of graphic developers or no one who is actually knowledgeable in the actual cry engine itself otherwise the state would not be as such.

Could they not hire a couple of guys who they can sit aside and get them to just concentrate on the graphics of each item in game a remodel it properly as its meant to be and hopefully shouldn't take more than a year? and every thing will be new and blinging as its meant to be in ce.

Last edited:
In my soc The Chosen Few, the rule has always been that we take masks\helmets off while we're "in town".

While it's still one of our soc rules, the initial reasons for it are pretty much gone. I.E. P2P trades, etc.

I always thought that rule was a nice touch, JC. ;)

You mean people actually want a video game in their video game even if you have to pay?

Holy crap, imagine the millions you can make of a concept.

Well the thing that mostly gets to me is this

This game claims to be CE2 based ....but looking at the environment in eu and environment in games like far cry and crysis and other ce engine based games....this seems nothing compared to it hell this is not even ce0 let alone ce2????

When your not out hunting or mining you could go out flying, running checking out the views the greenery the views but fuck me this is not better than pre vu10...

If this game had graphics as crysis and far cry and so on hell id run to my pos then drive or fly...how many of you played the above games and just enjoyed running around the world shooting trees plants and so on to enjoy the actual mechanics and effects???

Wouldn't it be nice to have same in eu? I have noticed they don't exactly have the best of graphic developers or no one who is actually knowledgeable in the actual cry engine itself otherwise the state would not be as such.

Could they not hire a couple of guys who they can sit aside and get them to just concentrate on the graphics of each item in game a remodel it properly as its meant to be and hopefully shouldn't take more than a year? and every thing will be new and blinging as its meant to be in ce.

Do you understand you are comparing graphic of MMO with FPS :laugh:

One of the reasons it feels so empty for those that played before the babble was removed is that when people were chatting to anyone in soc chat and not talking in local it still did the babble. So no matter how quiet local chat got you didn't feel like all the avatars were empty of people on the other end.

:whisper::grouphug::whisper::hug::whisper::love:

I guess.... I still hear mob sounds, I still hear a lot of stuff going on. Now there are planes flying in and out - cars driving around. I still see people fighting in the Ring at Twin all the time and people doing goofy things. Avatars look better than ever and I always see something new (ex. new Alien head, the Wings, Bunny ears, masks) I can see hair flowing as well.
People broadcast music or chat using the new in-game system. There are in-game hunting events every week, you can hop aboard a mother ship everyday and fly to another planet.

Sure things are different - I don't consider people not lying on the floor as being less lively. Sure some things that were goofy and zany I don't see anymore- I don't see dance floors, BPs laying on construction machines, people stacking stuff to climb up in the air, and other things - but I don't know - things always seem better "in the old days" This game is still what you make of it. Not lively enough??? Put out a dance floor - run around with a Large Trout, shoot some fireworks, use the in-game mic chat, bust out a wormhole. It's what you make of it.

Kudos to you for being able to make such good of it.

The thing is that it was lively without oneself doing silly stuff and not lively in a meaningless background animated stuff way, but meaningful things.
(On a sidenote, as neat as the voice chat thing is, it actually annoys me more, because now it feels like it punctuates the silence thus magnifying the liveliness of the game while screaming "there is a real world this voice comes from, this world is frozen and this voice does not belong here"; The voice feature should find a way to make the voice chat its own, like clicking to make clear a transmission comes in or some effects included in the stream, maybe a voice filter. So the voice or music is claimed by EU as being within the game and not some transmission from another dimension.)

With the vehicles flying and driving and hovering about I had really hoped for some on screen effects, like shaking and swooshing and rumbling or whatever, that would have been totally rad.

Don't get me wrong I will log in every so often and I will try to make good of it, but unlike you I did not manage to do that just yet.

One of the reasons it feels so empty for those that played before the babble was removed is that when people were chatting to anyone in soc chat and not talking in local it still did the babble. So no matter how quiet local chat got you didn't feel like all the avatars were empty of people on the other end.
Yes. It's amazing how much one small feature can change the overall feeling.

The old armors had style - but most ppl don't know what that is.
They were designed for the old crappy engine - and that's what most ppl instantly notice.
Therefore, i'm afraid those old armor pics are giving many new players creeps today...

But that's not the point. What you could do with old GameBryo you can definitely recreate on CE2 as well.
The concept of EU has changed, and many old players agree - for the worse.
Actually, it looks like now there is no general concept at all. Instead, every PP has artistic freedom to create their own concepts. Can't say this doesn't work at all. Imho, Cyrene level designers have succeeded in creating pretty cool alien environments here and there. Problem is, all those different concepts tend to cancel each other out and destroy the overall impression when mixed up.

Well, anyway, just give us the old PE planet and we can leave the rest to... whoever likes it. I can visit the new planets now and then but they not my home.

Because, many many people agree - nothing so far comes even close to the old PE environment, the overall feeling you had there. Why nobody has tried to recreate this on CE2 this is beyond me. This would be a guaranteed hit an it comes with a free bonus: u don't have to explain to these ppl who will return what PE/EU is.

For the Old PE Planet to really succeed we'd still miss many basic features thou. Babbling avatars, face to face trades, ability to sit down, lie down. We need them back, seriously.

Before anyone says this, we can survive with the current returns (average cost to play) just fine. Yes, we will whine and cry and protest, but we'll stay nevertheless, and learn to play cheaper just for the chance to be there.
And here's the paradox.
- concentrate on the economics and throw aside all the "secondary" stuff that makes the world unique, you're going down.
- keep the world unique and fun, and u will do much better economically.

Something for the decision-makers at MA to think about.

- keep the world unique and fun, and u will do much better economically.

I second this.

More babble, more detail, more seemingly useless stuff. Bring back the incentives to explore, somehow!

The lying/sitting is retarded.

MA just put too much budget on graphics and ignored bugs. Removing features from the game because they can't be bothered to fix the bugs (like sitting/lying). They will remove actionbar soon because of how buggy that is. It used to work. Come on, you have to reset your UI if you accidentally TT a gun without swapping it on the action bar?

And before someone says graphics people do separate work, yes I know. The point is you spend more of the staff budget on employing high quality coders, and fire some graphics designers. That is how you spend less on graphics and more on development, hiring and firing.

I miss the old armour look a lot, shame they didn't just up the polygon count and make higher res textures.

Yeah sitting was cool, atmospheric. The murmer while talking was awesome. Just added ambience.

RIP project entropia

so true.

Funny how this pic is full of objectivity.
But valentin as myself are real PE players so we can read it.

Btw, I tried to read with "some" interest the above essay about "concepts" until i tell myself that i wonder if its writter understood what he wrotte... The full post is a pure non-sense, clearly someone who doesnt know what he is talking about, and is trying to lay his """"huge""""" culture.

Yeah PE was cool, adapt it to CE2 would have been great.

But that's like the new chat system, they prefer to change what was GREAT to do something else,
until the new something else, and the new something else.

entropia_2014-03-19_ulfur.jpg

...The distinct noises the creatures made, offering a sound background in which one could easily tell which mobs were hunted around oneself and with what types of weapons.

Absolutely agree with this.
I think i saw the ambulimax sound changed like 4 times since i play in 2004. (for this example).
The atrox were green, then yellow, now orange.

This thread makes me wonder why exactly those features were scrapped in the first place.

Yep, Pirx, me and Ulla (probably you remember Ulla Jamira Braun) sold out already. This maked us ~6k Euro richer in IRL. We are afraid you will become the new McKormick - lol.

Back in time we had great fun at Fort Argus, Fort Troy and Fort Zeus. Not to speak about all the other populated places. Problem is: The spirit has gone.

Ulla met Grave and Lucky this evening at Arkadia. He and Lucky will play forever until the money has gone. I cannot understand this point of view anymore. Grave was complaining about his bad loot (80% = realy bad) and the the good loot of Stryker (~106%). But Grave didn't love the idea to visit the apartments/penthouses at Monria, Ulla made for Akoz.

Two ways to look at the game: Play eficient and hardcore versus hang out and have a great time (at Ulla's swimming pools at Monria or former Fort Argus)

MA set priority to a game wich is less social than PE was. Suck it or leave it. I think they will not learn.

Last edited:
This thread makes me wonder why exactly those features were scrapped in the first place.

Well it was bugged.. you could run and sit down/lie down at the same time and then you would slide instead of run.
We slided quite a bit in the old days, from tp to tp.
Swimming in the air was another neat bug.
Although ce2 brought the superman high in the air move, when you jumped up and down in the water. I think it's fixed now.

What the great minds At Mindark do not seem to grasp, that people tend to miss old sites. Like cape corinth for example. recently scrapped to make room for something new and improved.. but you will never have to climb that hill again , on your way to the shinkiba stalkers, past all the market stalls. In our memory it's still there but its gone forever.. I could wander in my mind through all of these deleted parts of a forgotten universe. Zychion citadel was awesome in the old days, with all the remains from the great robot war that took place there.

Back